Sweet Blood of Mine (Overworld Chronicles, #1)
read book* *Different edition

Sweet Blood of Mine (Overworld Chronicles #1)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  859 ratings  ·  206 reviews
From Mega Nerd to Super Stud.

Justin Case and women do not mix. Man boobs, a love of Kings and Castles, and being tight with the "nerd" crowd certainly don't win him any points either. After rescuing Katie, his crush, it turns out she might not be the girl he thought she was, while Elyssa, the school's Goth Girl, turns out to be more. Can high school get any more confusing?...more
Published April 23rd 2012 by Raven House (first published April 1st 2012)

Hounded by Kevin HearneStorm Front by Jim ButcherThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussZero Sight by B. Justin ShierZero Sum by B. Justin Shier
Contemporary Fantasy for Guys
37th out of 390 books — 181 voters
Storm Front by Jim ButcherHounded by Kevin HearneChanges by Jim ButcherSummer Knight by Jim ButcherTurn Coat by Jim Butcher
Urban Fantasy With Male Lead Characters
108th out of 496 books — 673 voters

More lists with this book...

Alana ~ The Book Pimp
For this review, I need my special pimp hat.
*Alana pulls out a purple Fedora with a long striped feather*

First, a little background on the story…
Justin is not you average HS boy playing football, instead the words nerd, and man-boobs come to mind... but then trouble begins with his family, and then his friends... next thing you know, he's no-man's-land at school except for the Goth crowd. He decides enough is enough, and starts to make changes.

But just as he's started, he meets this smoking hot...more
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review

Cover: Eye catching.
Rating PG-13 for mild sexual situations.
Thumbs Up 5 bright stars
Overall: Loved it!
Characters: Awesome!
Plot: New, Witty, Different and Interesting.
Page Turner: Yes.
Series Cont.? Yes.
Recommend Yes.
Book Boyfriend: Justin

SUMMARY (50 word or less)

I’ve read several good books from indie authors and I’m always surprised by the talent that is untapped by traditional publishers. But there are a select few that I consider great. This book is one of those. I was pleas...more
Nicole

What we have all been been waiting for is finally here! Sweet Blood of Mine is out! I read this one months ago in beta stage and just finished reading the finished novel and it was just as great the second go around as well.

Sweet Blood of Mine, Book One of the Overworld Chronicles

From Goodreads:

Karla(Book Addict)
Apr 08, 2013 Karla(Book Addict) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Urban Fantasy Fanatics
Recommended to Karla(Book Addict) by: John Corwin
deleting reviews if you want to take a look at them you can do so on my blog, link on my profile
★Ruth★
So I'd been hearing so much good things about this from all my goodread's friends so I couldn't wait for it to come out.
I think one of the best things about this was having it from a male POV & written by a guy. I've read a couple of books by other authors that are from a guy's POV but still written by women, this gives us a rare glimpse into the workings of a teenage boy's head & it was really great fun.
It did take me a little while to get into this but once I did I flew through it, it...more
Sheri
Justin Case is your typical nerd. After rescuing Katie, his long-time crush, from a bully, things are beginning to look up for Justin. But, after an unfortunate string of events, Justin "loses" Katie, what little social standing he had, and even his two best friends.

This is a book where no one is who they seem to be at first. Justin never quite knows throughout the story who his friends are, and he has to make the tough decision of who he can trust.

I love Justin. In the beginning of the book h...more
Bookie | The BookChick
This was a 6-star read for me!

I was fortunate enough to beta read this book and ABSOLUTELY loved it. Not being a real fan of YA, I was concerned that I would dislike the story because I wouldn't be able to connect with the characters. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised! I not only connected with the characters but the story captured my immediate attention. I couldn't put this book down. Corwin is witty and humorous and he crafted a delightfully engaging read...and who wouldn't love a book full of P...more
Tammy
Although Sweet Blood of Mine had great ratings from people whose opinions I generally agree with I was a little skeptical of the whole "nerd turned hottie" thing. But I loved this book! It's hilarious, it has great characters, and it kept me guessing the entire time.

I love Justin Case! I enjoyed his sarcasm, I really liked that despite the crap he was going through he decided to improve himself instead of sitting around feeling sorry for himself. I like that he's a romantic. He tries to do the...more
Lylaa
"Can't wait for blocking practice, Case. I'm gonna show you pain."
I glanced at his nose. "I think you already are showing me pain."

This book
I don't know what to say.
I'm kind of speechless.
I think this was one of the best books I've read this year :)
I'm doing a happy dance right now..

What I loved
Seriously?
I loved the whole book.
(view spoiler)
The imagination, the secenary, the characters.
I loved it all !
What about Ely...more
Lola
I got a copy for review in exchange for an honest review.

This book definitely wasn't like what I expected. I heard already some good things about this book, but it was better than expected. The story is about Justin Case (at the first mention of his name I already started laughing) a nerdy boy who's social live kinda sucks. He is on love with a girl who doens't love him and well he really is a nerd.

The first half of the story is mainly about getting to know Justin and how nerdy he is. I really...more
t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog
I need to preface my review by saying I am not usually a Y/A fan but I ADORED this book.

Description:

Determined to improve...more
Dana*aka Assassin*
Sweet Blood of Mine has all the ingredients required for a great read! Man-boobs and hunks, nerds and goths, cheerleaders and football players, romance and deception...with a plethora of paranormals and mysterious undiscovered powers. Add in John Corwin's amazing sense of humor, and you have a book that you won't want to put down.

Justin is a high school kid whose life is very unexpectedly about to change. He transforms from a rather nerdy and mostly ignored kid with man-boobs to a reluctantly p...more
Felicia
I read The Next Thing I Knew (Heavenly, #1) by this author and it was really original and a great read, so I snatched this book up, eager to see what this new series I've heard so much about in the group discussions was like.

From what I've read, book 2 in this series is going to be out soon, and book 3 is in the works, which is awesome since I can say without a doubt, this book is amazing.

Originality and World Building: 5/5 stars.

Although this is based a great deal in high school, the world outside the one Justin knows is so tant...more
Pat (ireadthatbook.com)
Nearly friendless overweight nerd Justin Case steps out on a limb when he decides to save the girl of his dreams from the clutches of the school bully. He finds himself totally friendless and ostracized after a very public beat down until the Goth group claims him as one of theirs. This unintentionally leads Justin to discover he isn't the average nearly friend-less overweight nerd that is only accepted by Goth's.

So begin's Justin's discovery of a new girl of his dreams in Katie, the reason tha...more
Beckyloohoo Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ aka Mrs. Acheron Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Remember that nerdy guy from high school? The one that needed a manzier and didn't mix with the popular crowd? Well, what if you found out there was more to him than meets the eye? Enter Justin Case.

Justin isn't popular by anyone's standards, and he's not athletic like the football jocks. But Justin has big dreams. Sweet dreams. He has heart. And he has a secret. Justin is really an incubus that has the power to seduce any woman around him. Sounds great, right? Not for someone who wants to hold...more
Amos Cassidy
I loved this book. Justin, the nerd, as the unlikely hero who despite all the obstacles and unexplained changes he experiences succeeds in staying true to himself. I loved Elyssia the mysterious Goth chick and the slow blossoming romance between her and Justin. Stacey the rough tongued mysterious supernatural female just made me giggle. There were countless laugh-out-loud moments in this book and the end for me was perfect. I can’t wait for the sequel!
My only complaint is to myself – why did I...more
Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer
Mar 02, 2012 Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: PNR readers, young & old
Recommended to Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer by: Posse
Shelves: young-adult
I absolutely loved this book. It is the first in a series and the main character, Justin Case is a 17 year-old chubby nerd. He goes to a highschool that worships the football players, so pretty much they get away with murder and rule the school...similar to most American highschools but multiply it by 10. He has two "friends" that pretty much prove very early on in the story that they are fair-weather friends and when he tries to protect the "love of his life" from one of the football players he...more
Duchess Nicole
I was excited to read this, as friends had given rave reviews. I love that the story is about a guy for a change, and a teenage one no less. Scary to be inside the mind of a teenage boy, right? Not Justin's. He's a romantic at heart, he's smart and creative and desperately in love with one of the 'pretty girls' in school. Oh, and he's frickin' hilarious.

"I stood in the doorway for a stunned moment, unsure if my skills as a Kings and Castles woodland elf had prepared me to take on a challenge l...more
Kel (Bookworm)
Rating - 4.5

Incredible...I so want more. I love the idea of a geeky, chunky, unpopular character who doesn't let other people or situations change who he is. Justin's mom leaves, his dad ends up in a drunken stupor or isn't home, and he ends up going through some changes after getting drunk and alienating himself from his friends. Alone with no clue he somehow manages to persevere.

Awesome adventure, a must read!!
Diana (Mrs. Barrons)
This book was not at all what I expected. I know I could have guessed that just by reading the blurb and all, but even after reading the blurb I still think I was expecting the average YA paranormal novel. This wasn’t it. I mean, talk about a loser. Justin starts the book as a pudgy nerd who spends his free time beating up other nerds with foam swords in nerdy live action battles. I can honestly say that this is not someone I would expect to see as a protagonist for a kick ass, action packed boo...more
Tami
I really enjoyed this book! I was able to relate with the hero, Justin, and his underdog status from the beginning and found myself cheering him on. The friendship he develops with the 'Goth' group in the beginning creates a theme we start to see about basically not judging others on looks or preconceived notions. This can be applied in the natural world and supernatural world. Justin's relationship with Elyssa is heartwarming and real and it tugged on my heartstrings when truths were revealed a...more
Cindy Rawlings
4.5 stars! I received this book via Shut Up & Read. I thought this book was pretty awesome.

Justin Case is the huge nerd complete with dumpy figure, coke bottle glasses, two friends total, grades through the roof, a low self-esteem and a crush on the popular hottie, Katie. He and his friends love to play a modern day kind of D & D for fun and try to blend in to the background. He has a good home life with loving parents that actually gross him out with all the kissing and snuggling. :)

Jus...more
Lord Nouda
5 fucking solid stars. If I could go any higher on the scale, I would have given it a 6. Hell, I'll go and do that. 6 stars. It's that good. I recommend to it lovers of Young Adult fiction and paranormal romance lovers. To the supporters of the underdog and nerdy hero who just can't cut a break in life, this is for you. This is truly awesomeness in word-form. I can't believe the author is self-published. It's amazing how good Sweet Blood of Mine is. It's funny, witty and downright touches your h...more
Rachel
I'm not sure where to begin praising this book. It has so many great things about it.

The main character is so hilarious, for one thing, not to mention very likeable. I found I could relate to him, all his insecurities, but what I really liked was his determination to never give up or give in, no matter how bad things looked. It was that strength of character that really shined through to me.

The other characters are also standouts, each one different, sharp and enjoyable in in their own rights. N...more
Anino
This has to be one of the best YA/PNR books that I have ever read. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I look forward to reading the entire series or better yet, anything written by John Corwin. The author has developed some incredibly realistic & not to mention clever characters.. There wasn't one single solitary slow moment in this book, and as a matter of fact, the more pages you read, the more you'll get sucked into it. If it wasn't for work, errands, etc, I would have finished this book...more
Beth Rogers
I've read other books by this author, but this one was the best by far.

It's the story of a nerd who suddenly becomes painfully self-aware of where he is in life and takes action to correct it. But life has some serious surprises in store for him!

The characters in this book are great and each one stood out to me very vividly and the romance actually made me tear up a few times. Oh, and the Princess Bride RULES!!

I also loved how fresh the paranormal ingredients were in this book and the world he c...more
Allen B
I really like this book; it jumps right into the story with great description. You will instantly get to know the main character. The story flows nonstop with a great storyline. I devoured this book in two sitting (it had me not wanting to put it down until the end). I am looking forward the next book in this series. Bottom line would I recommend this book? Yes!!!
Theresa
This was a great book! A great choice for the May reading! The book was so funny and the main character, Justin, says some of the craziest things! Reminds me of my son without the demon part! LOL!!

At the end of the book the author teases you with a smidgen of the next book in the series; I hope it come out quickly! I don't want to wait till next year!
Jill
I liked this story from page one. Justin Case was funny and sarcastic and real. Loved him!

This is an very entertaining tale about your typical high school pariah. Not only is he chubby and nerdy, but he makes some really dumb mistakes and yanks the chain of the biggest high school bullies alienating him from even his nerdy friends. To top it off, he is going through some very odd changes that make puberty look like a breeze.

Justin's journey of discovery is a unique coming of age story. I enjoy...more
  • Eden-West (Eden, #2)
  • Howl (Kane Wolves, #1)
  • Undermountain (The Undermountain Saga, #1)
  • Neophyte
  • Redemption (The Alexa Montgomery Saga, #4)
  • Dark Matter (Elemental Enmity, #2)
  • My Enchanted Life
  • A Strange Fire (Florence Vaine, #1)
  • The Beast Within (The Elite, #1)
  • What Kills Me (What Kills Me, #1)
  • Betrayal's Shadow (The Guardians of Eden, #1)
  • Awakening the Nightmare (Symmetria #1)
  • Hunters
  • SelfSame
  • Straight to Hell (Lilith Straight, #1)
  • Angel Evolution (The Evolution Trilogy, #1)
  • Taken (Channie, #2)
  • Crimson Midnight (Crimson #1)
John Corwin has been making up stuff all his life. As a child he would tell his sisters he was an alien clone of himself and would eat tree bark to prove it. For John, making stuff up was about one thing: teasing his sisters.

In middle school, everything changed. A class assignment to string random words together into a coherent story led to the birth of Fargo McGronsky, a young boy with anger mana...more
More about John Corwin...
Dark Light of Mine (Overworld Chronicles, #2) Fallen Angel of Mine (Overworld Chronicles, #3) Dread Nemesis of Mine (Overworld Chronicles, #4) Twisted Sister of Mine (Overworld Chronicles, #5) Dearest Mother of Mine (Overworld Chronicles, #6)

“Wait, so you do love me?" I asked, hope welling in my heart.
She growled and pounded her fist into a locker, leaving a fist-shaped dent. "Stop it, Justin. Stop it!"
I grabbed her shoulders. "Look at me and tell me you don't love me," I said. "Do it and I'll never bother you again."
"I don't love you," she mumbled.
"Look at me when you say it!"
She turned to me, her eyes hard but dull and faded. "I don't love you."
I let her go. My heart turned to lead, the heavy lump sagging in my chest. "Well, if there are agents out there looking to kill me, I guess it would be a mercy."
I turned to leave. Her hand gripped my shoulder.
"Please listen to me, Justin."
I pushed her hand away but didn't turn to face her. I couldn't let her see the tears welling in my eyes. "Why? What does it matter?"
"It just does. I—I don't want to see you hurt."
I took a deep shuddering breath. "You're not doing a very good job of it." I walked away and left her standing there.”
9 likes
“Bryan helped me up.  "How can you be so good one minute then clumsy the next?"
I shrugged.  "I've never been very athletic.  Not unless you count fencing."
"You made fences?”