Start by marking “Something Nice - 10 Stories” as Want to Read:
Something Nice - 10 Stories

Something Nice - 10 Stories

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A collection of dark and quirky tales.

"Write a Short Story About Growing Up. Include Three Apples and a Suitcase." Two students grapple with fiction and the end of childhood on a summer's afternoon.

"Throwing Up With the Joneses"
What is making Bob's neighbours so very ill, so very often?

"Too Much Love Can Kill You"
A nursery webcam offers a chilling insight for a workin
Published April 4th 2012 by Andrew Lawston (first published March 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Something Nice - 10 Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Nice - 10 Stories

A Shade of Vampire by Bella ForrestThe Wronged Sons by John MarrsStarshine by G.S. JennsenTell Me You Want Me by Amelia JamesA Demon Made Me Do It by Penelope King
Best of Little-Known Authors
250th out of 3,812 books — 3,599 voters
Love Least Expected by Meredith BondForever Friends by Shelagh WatkinsA World of Possibility by Christopher  ShieldsA World of Verse by Christopher  ShieldsEnd of the Road by Jacques  Antoine
Best Anthologies
243rd out of 563 books — 572 voters

More lists with this book...

The Pirate Ghost
This anthology of short stories is kind of like, Alfred Hitchcock meets the Twilight Zone and had a litter of ten ...episodes.

Overall, these are quirky, odd and fun short stories of science fiction and fantasy, mostly sci-fi in nature, that remind me of the quirky tech turned gory humor in the famed BBC Television Show "Dr. Who." A couple of them are short but all are worthwhile reading if you like the macabre and don't mind the occasional odd and interesting twist on things. It's also not the
R.J. Askew
[This is based upon the first three stories. I will amend it as I read the rest and reach a conclusion on which I think are the best ones.]

Something Nice - 10 Stories is clearly written and well editied. It is also very readable and, above all, enjoyable. With poems or short stories I am happy if I like, say, one in four. But I enjoyed all of the first three for different reasons, in part because they show that you are skilled in different styles and moods.

1. GROWING UP

I enjoyed this because it
Mary
A very wide range of short stories are shown in this anthology. All stories entice the emotions and provoke the reader to keep reading, gripping their attention. Within the stories, the characters are easy to relate to enabling you to understand their emotions as they go through their story. I love how the writer is able to write about different circumstances, meaning there is something for everyone within this anthology.
My favourite story is `Too much Love can kill you' this touches my heart. A
Johanna Zanten
This collection of short stories will appeal to those who love sci fi, the weird, and the wonderful, as each individual short story has an unexpected ending and is somewhat gruesome. I read with interest and could not predict the narrative. The story that I could identify most with was that of the boy born with an appendix at his derrière that looked like a pig's tail: Jake The Pig. The description and unfolding of the family dynamics were so real and the symbolism very apt; the outcome was very ...more
Miles Gentry
Perhaps it was the cover, a pint of ale and an open notebook full of handwritten words, which piqued my interest. Or maybe it was the description of the book which drew my curiosity. I don't read much fiction, nor short stories, but I purchased a copy of Andrew K. Lawston's book nonetheless.

Something Nice: 10 Stories, was a very pleasant surprise – imaginative, creative, and with a certain dark humor that I found both entertaining and thought provoking. All of the ten shorts were good, three I p
Lisa
I found this book absolutely enchanting, there is a steady flow to the book that lifts you up and pulls you along making you absorbed into Lawston's words.

I read this book whilst on holiday and couldn't put it down, which leads to my one real criticism that 10 stories just didn't feel enough, I was left longing for more.

By far my favourite story was 'Too Much Love Can Kill You'. I found myself on a roller-coaster of emotions, from anticipation, morose and feeling thoroughly uplifted.

I'll be firs

Frenchie
Feb 22, 2014 Frenchie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves the bizarre, the funny, SF and humour
Recommended to Frenchie by: Myself
My Amazon UK review is here - (well, it is the same anyway) >>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/RXMD7I...

I have really enjoyed this collection of short stories. I say that I had a nice pub crawl because all except one, have been written in part in various pubs.
Then the cover makes sense. And basically, I downloaded it mainly for the cover (yes, I still chose a book for its cover) and because I came across Andrew Lawston's writings through a drabbles website, so, I knew I would like it.

My
Rebecca Charlesworth
I received this book for free in exchange for my honest opinion and review:

I gave this book 4 stars and here is why:

'Something Nice' is made up of 10 short stories of all different genres including Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Comedy.

If you're a fan of British comedy then you will most definitely love this book! You'll never be bored with the array of well written and extremely strange book!

On a lighter note, don't judge the book by its cover it doesn't really relate to any of the stories.

After reading t
Kath Middleton
Andrew Lawston is a new writer to me although these stories have evidently had previous incarnations. There wasn't a single one I didn't enjoy. They were particularly well written and all had that little edge of discomfort. With many, you wondered if it could happen. The best accolade I can give him is that his stories didn't remind me of anyone else's work. He writes with his own voice. Long may he continue.
James Calbraith
I enjoyed these little stories greatly, and will gladly read more. Andrew Lawston has an enviable command of language and a Lynchian ability to spot the darkness lurking in the suburbia. Some of the stories are not for the faint-hearted, but then, so is life.
Jess Mountifield
Absolutely loved this collection of short stories. They were all quirky, well thought out and a brilliant combination of funny, shocking and different. Each story is special in it's own way and they all stand out. One of my favourite collections.
Ann Andrews
This book is a collection of unconnected short stories. While they seem a bit disjointed at first, once I reached the third short story, I began to get into the flow a little better. At this point, I retraced my steps and started back at the beginning, and got much more out of the stories than I had the first time around.

These short stories are extremely well written. Since they are short, you are immediately thrown into the plot, at times completely unaware of what is going on. But each time I
Amber
This is a very strange & disturbing collection of stories. I like strange & disturbing. What I liked most was that all the stories were either completely different from anything I'd ever read, or any similarities to classic plots were turned on their heads with something totally weird. However, some of them felt sort of unfinished.

"Throwing Up with the Joneses" (a student learns something strange about his neighbors), "The Late Romantics" (a successful man returns to his hometown, for a
Miles Jobgen
Fun collection of gruesome little stories.
Paweł
Paweł marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Elle
Elle marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Lezley
Lezley marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Samarium Youngblood
Samarium Youngblood marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Yee Siong
Yee Siong marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Jessical
Jessical marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Tara Thorn
Tara Thorn marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Vicki Plant
Vicki Plant marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Cheyenne Phillips
Cheyenne Phillips marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Andrew K Lawston is a writer, actor and publishing manager who lives and works in London.

From quirky short stories to literary translations, and the odd bit of postgraduate film criticism in between, Andrew is a bit of a jack of all trades, but hopes this means that most readers will find something to enjoy among his work, even if the work in question has yet to be published. Or indeed written.

As
More about Andrew K. Lawston...
Killing Me Softly? An Examination of the Depiction of Violence in the Early Films of Jean-Luc Godard (1960-1967) Something Nicer A Splendid Salmagundi The Story of My Escape: The Story of My Escape from the Prisons of the Republic of Venice Otherwise Known as the Leads Shelf Life