Start by marking “The Old Language: Poems on the Company of Animals” as Want to Read:
The Old Language: Poems on the Company of Animals

The Old Language: Poems on the Company of Animals

it was amazing 5.0  ·  Rating Details ·  2 Ratings  ·  1 Review
A collection of poems reflecting on the companionship of humans and non-humans; a tribute to animals who have been part of the author's family; a meditation on "The Old Language," the nonverbal ways that humans and non-humans talk to each other.

"This work is mature, the writing brilliant and rich and deep, the content charged with energy. This is an incredible writer, one
Paperback, first, 50 pages
Published February 5th 2011 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about The Old Language, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Old Language

Robin Winter
Nov 05, 2013 Robin Winter rated it it was amazing
I bought this volume because I read the author's Something Red and I wanted more. I felt a profound resonance to the animals we live with in his portrayals in the novel and when I opened the slim volume The Old Language, I stood outside in the sunlight of my yard and read every poem until I had read them all. I can't articulate all of my feelings. I am moved. I find his depiction of his relationship with his wife, his intimate partner, slipped in between the lines so moving, so warm and familiar ...more
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Ian Miller
Ian Miller marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Lvautier
Lvautier marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Jeszii
Jeszii marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Romarin479
Romarin479 marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2013
Douglas Nicholas
May 03, 2012 Douglas Nicholas rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Douglas Nicholas is an award-winning poet whose work has appeared in numerous publications, among them Atlanta Review, Southern Poetry Review, Sonora Review, Circumference, A Different Drummer, and Cumberland Review, as well as the South Coast Poetry Journal, where he won a prize in that publication's Fifth Annual Poetry Contest.

Other awards include Honorable Mention in the Robinson Jeffers Tor Ho
More about Douglas Nicholas...