Start by marking “We're Working On It” as Want to Read:
We're Working On It

We're Working On It

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Cory Anderson is 15 years old and living on the streets. His father has rejected him and turned him out because he is gay. Richard Mathews is 50 years old, and his life is a mess. His business has grown and is now self-perpetuating and did not need him any longer. Richard hasn't made a decision about his life for years. Cory and Richard's lives were in ruins, but something ...more
Published April 2nd 2012 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about We're Working On It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We're Working On It

Jeff Erno
This was a very sweet story about a fifteen year old boy who was thrown out on the streets when his father learned he was gay. Cory is picked up while trying to hitchhike and taken in by a benevolent, middle aged stranger. He begins an entirely new life and soon finds friendship and love in his new school. An unforeseen tragedy threatens everything, though, and Cory must draw strength from his new-found family.

Editorial issues and dialogue contributed to my rating, but overall I really loved the
Colin
Jul 23, 2012 Colin rated it it was amazing
Richard's riveting story follows the protagonist's chance meeting with a runaway teen, Cory, and how he gives the boy a real home and a new father. We learn about child abuse, what it's like to be a gay teenager in a homophobic environment, the foster care system, bullying, and an uncaring, oblivious school system. Richard takes us on a roller coaster ride and his characters come alive in the reader's mind.

This is a book that parents, teens, and school administrators need to read.
Alexsilverx
Aug 18, 2013 Alexsilverx rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the first chapters but then it got worse and worse. The way the characters acted didn't make sense to me, everything seemed to be extremely unrealistic. The ending is overly melodramatic. Cannot understand how one can give this story more than 3 stars.
Steve
Sep 26, 2013 Steve rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend everyone reads this heartwarming story.
It brings to the front the anguish and heartbreak that homophobia and bullying causes.
There is no sex involved it doesn't need it but be warned it will cause a roller coaster of emotion to well up.
Nick
Jan 29, 2014 Nick rated it really liked it
Great story with a powerful ending. However, some grammar and spelling errors irked me. Most of the book seemed to be written rather stiff and formal, which didn't really mesh with the high school setting of the book.
Scott
Mar 24, 2013 Scott rated it really liked it
Sweet story....I wish the one character's storyline hadn't ended so abruptly. It's hard to believe things happened so fast with state intervention (I don't care how many lawyer friends you have).
Jason White
Apr 17, 2013 Jason White rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay
I really enjoyed this book. I felt like I could really relate to the characters. Def a worthwhile read!
Amber
Jun 28, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing
Loved this story. Incredibly written. So moved after reading this.
David
May 12, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
Great story with huge emotions, have lots of tissue.
Don
Mar 31, 2013 Don rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable read, with tears
Anthony Taylor
Anthony Taylor marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Scott Grunthaner
Scott Grunthaner marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Raymond Wolf
Raymond Wolf rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Willard Boudreau
Willard Boudreau rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Mr. i.p.meiklejohn
Mr. i.p.meiklejohn rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Kathy Berger
Kathy Berger is currently reading it
Dec 27, 2015
Thomas Michaels
Thomas Michaels rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Siye Chen
Siye Chen marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
MikeLoud
MikeLoud marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Coveney M.H.
Coveney M.H. marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Ralph
Ralph rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Kalen Courtney
Kalen Courtney marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Lawrence Huffman
Lawrence Huffman is currently reading it
Oct 02, 2015
Alan
Alan rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Ptdog
Ptdog rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Kelsey
Kelsey added it
Aug 04, 2015
John DeFelice
John DeFelice is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2015