Start by marking “Godspeed” as Want to Read:
Godspeed

Godspeed

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  122 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Abigail’s young life was saved by the kindness of strangers: Schuyler Algernon, the man who found her collapsed on cold city streets, and Quinn Godspeed, the doctor who risked everything by breaking the law to keep her fragile heart beating.

As the truth about what she’s become and her feelings for her savior overtake her, Abigail is forced to ask what constitutes life, liv
Paperback, First Edition, 406 pages
Published April 28th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Godspeed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Godspeed

Jamie
This was a slow, sweet historical novel with a bit of romance and a slight dash of steampunk. While not at all what I expected, it was very enjoyable nonetheless.

Our protagonist in this story is a young woman who has lost her father to a rare plague, and suffers some severe side effects herself from this same plague, is removed from the only home she has ever known and is left wandering the streets of the city when her ailment causes her to lose consciousness. She wakes up in the care of Schuyl
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
To describe it in one word, and quite acutely, I'd call Godspeed nebulous. And not the kind that comes to my mind as I automatically associate nebulous to stars, all hazy and twinkling and diamonds in the sky. It's wanting from east to west to down south. It's the kind of book that makes me garrulous and indolent simultaneously. Fact: I feel like egressing my detestation of LEGO, but I can find neither an aesthetic way nor any kind of devious opening to input it into the review. (But fear not, i ...more
C.g. Ayling
Feb 17, 2013 C.g. Ayling rated it it was amazing
Since I began writing, I’m sad to say my tolerance for poor writing has diminished. Perhaps this is due to the endless hours spent honing one’s words in attempt to gain a perfection they will never attain. Perhaps it’s due to nothing more than my tolerance for having my time wasted decreasing, as realization of time’s precious nature grows….

Whatever the reason, it is seldom that I find myself enthralled by a work of such exceptional quality as “Godspeed”, by February Grace. Thus, this review.

Wha
Morgan
So, this book wasn't perfect. I would have liked a bit more characterization of some of the minor characters. They were presented in a way that caught my interest, but I would have liked to have learned more about them. And some characters were introduced and then rarely, if ever, spoken of again (I've been guilty of this in my own writing, so I know it can be hard to avoid).
There were also some plot holes that bugged me a bit. More information about statements characters had made would've tied
Anne Gallagher
May 28, 2012 Anne Gallagher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What does one say when one reads such a profound and amazing book? GODSPEED is like nothing I have ever read before – part Frankenstein, part love story, part memoir – it is all these things and more.

When Abigail is dismissed from the only home she’s ever known and winds up in the street, the kindness of a stranger thrusts her into a strange fantastical world of one whom can only be called a “mad scientist.” Quinn Godspeed, with his brilliant mind and strange devices, saves Abigail from a weak
Sandra  Valente
All reviews on http://ssbookfanatics.blogspot.com

Well, don't fabulous surprises come in all sorts of packages? I got this book from Wendy Logsdon, the author's marketing manager at Booktrope, as a thank you. Godspeed was part of my blogaversary this year, for which I was most thankful, but after I downloaded it to my iPad, it joined many, many others awaiting my attention. Of late, I go through periods where I'm stumped as to what to read. Yes, I've just said this book joined many others on my e
Shelley
Apr 20, 2012 Shelley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow... what a story! What a beautiful, enchanting story! Upon finishing Godspeed, I was actually left speechless.

I loved the characters. LOVED them! Abigail was such a likable heroine; she was strong-willed, even if she wasn't physically strong, and wise beyond her years without being unbelievable or unrelatable. Dr. Godspeed was by far my favorite. Ms. Grace really struck a balance with him -- he was mysterious and aloof, but not so much that he was a jerk, and his redeeming caring nature was w
Tressa (Wishful Endings)

I went into this thinking that this was a different book than what it ended up being. I initially thought maybe time-travel/steampunk and then as I was reading I was thinking steampunk, which it is, but really that is very much in the background. The only role that the steampunk setting really has to play is in that it allows Dr. Godspeed to do what he does. Beyond that, there isn't any of your usual steampunk adventures with other mechanical robots, travelling contraptions, weapons, et
Cary Frates
Jul 21, 2013 Cary Frates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will admit to two things – 1. Godspeed is my first foray into Steampunk, and, 2. I may be spoiled for life in the genre. Okay, I’ll admit to one more – I have a family memoir penned in the mid-later 1800’s, and Ms. Grace’s writing voice flawlessly captures the lilt and elegance of that era.
Dr. Quinn Godspeed is a genius driven to save or improve the lives of those stricken with infirmity in an era when fiddling with “God’s Plan” is not to be tolerated. Nevertheless, and in spite of the danger
Colin
May 10, 2012 Colin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a literary romance reader ordinarily—too much Greg Egan in my youth; I'm confused by romance plots confined to two genders and one universe—but I read some of Grace's poetry on Rusty Nail (rustynailmag.com), and found myself wanting a novel of that stuff. A couple of months later, there was one such novel to choose from, and it was romance or the highway.

The setting is non-specific beyond the fictitious city “Fairever”. The presence of a few large, unwieldy typewriters says it's probably
Angela
May 13, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, I want to talk about February's lyrical style. Her prose are smooth and her descriptions are both striking and rich in detail. The world building in this book was fantastic and I really liked the steam punk atmosphere of this story.

Secondly, I'd like to talk about the characters. I had a hard time with the protagonist at first because I thought she was kind of weak. My initial instincts were to question why the protagonist was so obsessed with Dr. Godspeed.He struck me as the kind of
Melissa Maygrove
I happened across this book by chance, and am I ever glad I did. I had a little trouble early on discerning the setting (historical vs dystopian-blasted-back-to-primative-living), but it was my first experience with steampunk, and my first experience with author February Grace.

I'm not sure where to begin describing her writing. The prose is eloquent and rich, but not purple. When one examines it line by line, there's quite a bit of telling, but it doesn't feel that way.

All I know is the POV is c
Laura Diamond
May 11, 2012 Laura Diamond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I really fell in love with this book. At first, I wanted the MC to "take charge" and direct her own fate, but I blame that on my tendency to read young adult. Once I reframed that in my head, I was able to see how earnest and beautiful the prose was.

For me, the novel was a mixture of romance, gothic (a la Mary Shelley's Frankenstein), Steampunk, and paranormal. The mystery surrounding Godspeed pulled me in and refused to let go, right to the end.

I thought the characters were brightly painted
Jenny Schwartz
Aug 28, 2012 Jenny Schwartz rated it it was amazing
A powerful story of the desire to live and love, to belong.

The writing is contemporary, but with echoes of the style of a century ago. Works perfectly. Cory Doctorow channelled Dickens for one of his recent Steampunk short stories (can't remember the name) and I was hooked by how well that modern twist on an old and loved style worked. I felt Godspeed did the same with the style of the old romance novels, like those of Grace Livingston Hill.

Godspeed is a steampunk story where magic doesn't do a
Corinne
Jul 29, 2015 Corinne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-romance
Beautifully written, this book captivates from the first page to the last. Told from the eyes of Abigail Courage, a young woman working as a house servant who becomes ill and is turned out to the streets, it follows her as she journeys into that strange middle ground between life and death - where one simply exists, wondering their purpose and what is to become of them.

Though categorized as Steampunk, the genre is not used in a heavy-handed fashion. Instead, it is intricately worked into the thr
Dots
Feb 04, 2014 Dots rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first came across this books on Wattpad, I wasn't sure what it was about and judging from the title I didn't think I would be interested.

I was so wrong. (Thankfully)

Miss February Grace writes with an old fashioned prose that fits with the style and timframe of the storyline. I was captured by the uniqueness of the story and all the characters that went along with it. The steampunk side of the story is not something that I've read lately, but I love the idea and I'm craving more.

The main charac
Michelle Gregory
May 31, 2012 Michelle Gregory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fiction
In her unique, lyrical style, February Grace uses beautiful language and rich descriptions to give us a novel full of mystery, danger, intriguing characters, and romance. Abigail and Quinn’s story hooked me from the first page and wouldn’t let go until the end. My only regrets in reading it were that I should have picked it up sooner, and I was sorry when it was over.
Aki
Mar 09, 2015 Aki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-bad
Barbara
I downloaded this book because-
1. It was free
2. It seemed a bit steampunkish and Iove me some steampunk.
I am so pleased I followed my gut on this one and decided to snatch it up. I really enjoyed everything about this book. The characters, the story, the time period. It seems quite a lot of research went into the writing of this book. The only thing I wish had been different was that I wish the author would have gone deeper into Schuyler and Quinn's back story and history. I feel like we missed
Jen
Oct 02, 2015 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Dianne Salerni
I beta read an early version of this and absolutely loved it! Couldn't wait to get each section from the author as she completed it.

I am looking forward to reading the finished version.
Sherrie Petersen
This beautifully written story has a bit of romance, a bit of mystery, a bit of steampunk, and a whole lot of heart. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
D. George
Mar 09, 2014 D. George rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a contest, and I'm so glad I did. Don't be fooled by the slimness of this volume; the book has an amazing world and story. I had tears in my eyes as I read the conclusion. Although I didn't want the story to end, it is fully-realized and complete, all heart and all kindness, plus the other range of human emotions: loss, anger, sadness, fear, destruction: but above all, love.

Godspeed is the story of a young servant girl who is turned out from her employ after an illness. She is
Chiara (delicate eternity)
From the moment Godspeed started, I was in for the long run. A twist of sci-fi, fantasy, steampunk, romance, and YA, this is pretty much the perfect novel for a range of readers. I enjoyed every single moment of reading Godspeed, and I devoured it in under 24 hours (which is a feat because I am so very busy at the moment). There was not one second where I wanted to put Godspeed down, nor one second when my attention wavered from what Grace was telling me through her writing.

The writing. I have n
Kimber Wheaton
Oct 17, 2013 Kimber Wheaton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, ya
*I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

Godspeed is a YA steampunk/romance that is reminiscent of great medical ethics works like Frankenstein and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. This is the type of novel I would love to discuss in one of my Philosophy classes. Such a deeply moving story about a man who is an enigma wrapped in a conundrum and the young woman whose life he saves through extreme measures.

Abigail Courage is a servant, mortally wounded as
Charli - To Another World
Read this review and many more at To Another World

I received a free copy for review of this book from Fiction Addiction Blog Tours, courtesy of the author. This does not affect my review in any way possible, nor does the fact that the blog tour will be advertised.

I'd never actually read a steampunk before this book, though I knew what it was all about, and I wasn't entirely sure to expect, so that's something you guys need to keep in mind as I write this review!

The first chapter, though partic
~ Rose ~ ☯Desert Rose❀
The synopsis makes the plot of this book sound interesting and compelling. When the opportunity to read and review came up, I was curious to see if the book was as good as it sounded, or if the blurb gave everything way. Luckily for me, it was even more interesting than the blurb made it seem! With flavors of steam-punk, turn-of-the-century living, and true love, this book gave me a wonderful night of reading.

The characters in this story are all interesting, and wonderful in their own ways. I a
Debbie
Mar 12, 2015 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

It's beyond me how an author picks up the cadence, rhythm, and vocabulary of a bygone era, but February Grace did just that. I felt myself transported back to a time when mechanical inventions were just beginning to influence society. The love story between the butler's daughter and Quinn, the inventor, built slowly and deliberately throughout the book. This book will whisk you away to another time and place, as well.
Brittany
Mar 11, 2015 Brittany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sigh. This book had promise. The plot was intriguing, but the character and relationship development was rushed. I kept feeling like I was missing vital chunks of the story. The main character went from meeting the doctor to being in love with him and fixating on his eyes and all his perfection within about 10 minutes. Meanwhile she is DYING!! I just couldn't buy it even for the sake of a semi-fantasy novel.
Roze Wallin
Dec 28, 2015 Roze Wallin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've reviewed this book! I post reviews as Rose @Desert Rose Reviews.

Please check out my review here!

Thanks & Hugs! =D

~Roze
  • Nandana's Mark (Queen of the Realm of Faerie, #1)
  • Wampus Springs - Mark of the Wolf
  • Gemini of Emreiana (Gemini, #1)
  • Shinobi 7: Trials of a Warrior (Shinobi 7, #1)
  • Of Dreams and Shadow (Forget Me Not #1)
  • Amulet of Power (The Lost Amulet Chronicles, #2)
  • Atlantis Quest (Atlantis Rising, #2)
  • Hollywood Homecoming (Red Carpet Series, #3)
  • The Mark of Cain (The Cain Chronicles #1)
  • Secrets and Lies (Cassie Scot, #2)
  • Romulus Buckle & the Engines of War (Chronicles of the Pneumatic Zeppelin, #2)
  • Morning Stars (The Noctivagas Chronicle, #2)
  • Vendetta Nation (Enigma Black Trilogy #2)
  • Pity the Beautiful: Poems
  • Adrenaline Rush (Christy, #1)
  • Double Star
  • Unhinged (Underworld, #1)
  • Eliot
5820076
February Grace is an author, poet, and artist from Southeast Michigan. She is more than mildly obsessed with clocks, music, colors, meteor showers, and steam engines.

More about February Grace...