Agatha H and the Clockwork Princess

Agatha H and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius novels #2)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  519 ratings  ·  85 reviews
Intrigue! Subterfuge! Circus Folk!

In a time when the Industrial Revolution has escalated into all-out warfare, mad science rules the world... with mixed success.

With the help of Krosp, Emperor of All Cats, Agatha has escaped from the massive airship known as Castle Wulfenbach. After crashing their escape dirigible, Agatha and Krosp fall in with Master Payne's Circus of Adv...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Night Shade Books (first published March 27th 2012)

Patrick

This book and it's prequel are kinda unique in my experience. I don't know if I've ever read a novelization of a comic before.

What's more, I'm actually listening to the audiobook before reading the paper copy.

That said, I'm very much enjoying it. The novel actually brings to light things that aren't mentioned in the comic, giving more bacground and history about the world. Giving more hints to the many mysteries that are part of why I love girl Genius.

***Dave Hill
Jun 04, 2012 ***Dave Hill rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Serious Girl Genius fans, or for lovers of steampunk fantasy who wouldn't think of reading a comic.
Shelves: text
Wow. Do I feel conflicted about this book.

On the one hand, "Girl Genius" is one of my favorite webcomics, and Phil Foglio one of my favorite artists. I have various editions, soft- and hard-cover of the comic collections, etc. And this novel (covering vol. 4-6 of the comic) covers the story very, very well, complete with lots of added backstory, and loads of footnotes, and, for that matter, inner monologues (as well as the maniacal outer ones). Indeed, having quickly gone back and read vol. 4, I...more
Sam Reader
"It is here, with great reluctance, and a full awareness of how a chronicler should report a story without being the story itself, that one of your professors enters the narrative. Surely the tedious whys and wherefores of how he came to find himself in this particular prison at this particular time have no significant relevance to the greater story and shall thus be ignored."
- Professor Philip Foglio

So, to get the basics out of the way, Agatha H. and the Clockwork Princess is the second novel...more
Marla
I always like when I get a book and it's nice and thick. There was a lot going on in this book, especially at the end with the double-crosses, fake double-crosses, triple-crosses, what-have-you that it was kind of hard to figure out what was going on, and who was on what side.

As I read I couldn't help but think that the plot and main characters would really shine, and make for a really good story, if the background clutter was cleaned up and didn't overwhelm them.

High points: Krosp, Emperor of A...more
Salimbol
The novelisation of volumes 4-6 in the Girl Genius webcomic series, in which Agatha, having been revealed as the long-lost heir to the (in)famous Heterodyne family, is on the run from Baron Wulfenbach and takes refuge with a travelling circus. Slower-moving than the first novel, Agatha H and the Airship City, and without quite the same tight focus, this is nevertheless a very enjoyable book, with all the delightful wit and magic you expect from the Foglios. The authors use the much greater lengt...more
Fiona
The second novelisation of the Girl Genius webcomic, this is equally as entertaining as the first. While they naturally follow the same plot as the webcomic, the novels bring more character insights, along with added details and backstory. Great fun, and a highly enjoyable read. If you like your steampunk (or gaslamp fantasy, if you prefer) with lots of adventure, strange creatures and mad science, then this is for you. And there's a circus, too!
Audrey Jane
In this instalment the reader follows Agatha's adventures in the Wastelands with a travelling show/circus group.

I'm having so much fun with this series. The vivid writing style, the eccentric characters, the humour and lots of adventure makes me want to come back for more. I realized that one of the parts I enjoyed the most is when the Jägermonsters make their appearance. The Jägermonsters talk with, what I think, some sort of heavily German accent. It's downright hilarious. Still despite the hu...more
Anoush Emrazian
What a fun ride! Again, the narrator is fantastic (I'm always so impressed when one person can convey many characters so well that I can tell who is speaking just from hearing the vocal style). This book is extremely complex and so wound about that often I felt like I had no idea what was going on. In the end, with some paths finally decided (I think?), I still wonder what will come of certain story lines.

(view spoiler)...more
Caitlin
More reviews avalable on my blog.

I’m a big fan of the Girl Genius comic, so when I saw this in my local Oxfam, I had to pick it up.Novelisations are weird beasts. Because they add more internal thoughts and more background action to a work, they can change it in subtle ways. This is certainly the truth with Agatha H. The comic is a riotous fun thing with a great deal of colour and life. It has dark moments, but they are always lightened by the art.

Girl Genius is a lot creepier and darker in nove...more
Alexandra
*Some spoilers for the first Agatha Heterodyne novel/some of the graphic novels*

Yes I am a fangirl. Let's move on, and firstly talk about the look of this lovely book. I don't mind the cover - I think it's appropriate and quite pretty - but when I was reading I took the dust jacket off and oh my, I don't think I can put it back on again. The hardcover itself is beautiful, with gorgeous gold embossing and little swirls and... it's just wonderful.

So, the story. This covers, I think, volumes 4-6 o...more
Lauren
Girl Genius is easily my favorite webcomic, but reading it is a different experience altogether. This is what I really wanted from a Girl Genius novel. Like the first book, Clockwork Princess is a reiteration of the Girl Genius comics (this time, chapters 4-6); you won't be getting a review of just the book from me, but a comparison.
While the comics are beautiful, the book is more informative. You get more background, and the characters thoughts and emotions are described to you, stuff you could...more
Kelli
Story: B-
Narration: A-

Quick Review:

A fun audio although a surprisingly slow build-up to the climax and an overly large cast of characters sharing page time with Agatha made this book, while still entertaining and worth the listen, a bit of a letdown in comparison to the first audiobook in this series. The narration continues to shine, conveying the colorful and inventive world and strong, often amusing, characterizations with assurance and energy without sliding into caricature.

The Plot:

Book two...more
Daniel Stone
I feel I ought to open by saying, I'm a huge fan of Girl Genius, and of the Foglio's work in general. As such, I am (very) familiar with the story. In fact, most of the dialogue was directly carried over in translation. Which is really what makes the book as great as it is. Not the dialogue and the story, although both are superior in quality and enjoyable in nature, but the translated nature of the story.
You see, reading a story that I'm accustomed to encountering in one, rather more graphic,...more
Kat
Oh my. I was not expecting to enjoy this one as much as I did, but it was truly such an original and brilliant novel, that I couldn't help but be swept along with.

We enter right where the first one left off, but where as Agatha H and the Airship took half the book to really get going, this one steamed ahead from the first page. I feared for maybe a slight dip in the narrative, as it is about twice the size of it's predecessor, but it didn't. It kept up it's relentlessly enjoyable pace through-ou...more
Kendra
(I had typed up a whole review of this on Goodreads, and then fatally hit the backspace key while I was apparently clicked out of the text box. Apologies if this seems disjointed; I never was very good at trying to piece back together things I’ve written from memory. There was a lot that I wanted to say about this book, but I know some of it has already slipped away, only to be remembered in a rush at 3 in the morning two months from now when it is no longer useful to me.)

I was going back and fo...more
Donna BookWorm
Now, I managed to get my hands on an advanced uncorrected copy of this (I love my job!) and jump right into it with out even realizing that there was already a history and story line and all that jazz. And to be honest I’m pretty happy about that. But more on that later.

Basic Plot: This is the story of Agatha Clay, who is actually Agatha Heterodryne, the lost daughter of Bill Heterodyne and Lucrezia Mongfish. When the Baron realizes this Agatha and Krosp, her faithful talking cat, escape for the...more
Leons1701
I love adaptations, at least good ones. Getting to see something familiar through a different lens can be quite fun. Considering that the Foglio's Girl Genius is one of my favorite webcomics and that they also produced the adaptation, there was almost no chance I wouldn't like this. Clockwork Princess is the second adaptation from GG and it shows. While Agatha H and the Airship City is a perfectly fine read, it's somewhat barebones. Clockwork Princess adds footnotes, which are almost required fo...more
Corrina
This is an excellent continuation of Agatha H and the Airship City. Finally, the mystery of the evil Other who terrorized the lands is revealed. Even worse than being the daughter of heroes is being the daughter of a hero and a villain. And as everyone knows, the really good villains never die-they just escape to work on their next plot to take over the world. Lucrezia Mongfish is a first-rate villainess, manipulative, commanding, brilliant, insane, beautiful, and deadly, and with loyal minions...more
Mary Catelli
The novelization of the second trio of Agatha Heterodyne graphic novels. And the one in which they found a grip on the new medium and started to use it to more advantage.

It sticks faithfully to the story as presented in the original, though some summary describes things that happened between the dramatic scenes, filling us in on details, like those of Agatha's stay with the circus, and how clanks started to work better even though no one saw her work on them, but they didn't want to raise the is...more
Kevin
Book two in the novelizations of Girl Genius. This was a big step up over the previous volume. That one read like it was a person describing a comic strip, though it was still quite enjoyable. This one reads like a novel, and an enjoyable one at that. The expansions of information about the Girl Genius world are a ton of fun.

Marie effortlessly switched gears. "Goodbye, my dear," she said with a tear forming in her eye. "Try to stay good." She enveloped Agatha in a tight hug and whispered. "But if you simply can't, at least remember to enjoy yourself."

Over the years to come, Agatha would often vacillate as to whether this was the best or the worst bit of advice she had ever received, but she had to admit, that she never regretted following it." (458-59).

That made me laugh. All sorts of tension in that statement....more
Jessamay
Brent Merrill
If you follow the comic it is a fun read. If you don't , give it shot it is well written. My only complaint is that the necessity of constantly reminding you of the mechanics of the world the authors create gets a little annoying sometimes. Most of the times they manage to make it funny and interesting. It is a fun project and I can honestly say I literally don't know of anything of similar scope and quality available.
Kathy
This was a fun read. Its a much longer book than Agatha H and the Airship City- but as Agatha runs from the Baron she falls in with strange company and is forced to acknowledge her heritage. I'm not really a comic person, even though I've seen some of the Girl Genius comics as they were published as an omnibus edition Girl Genius Omnibus Volume One: Agatha Awakensbut I have to say I actually prefer the books over what I have seen on them. I'm looking forward to book three now:)
Mark
I hated this book when I started reading it. The writing was fine but the dialogue was terrible like something from Buffy - all wisecracks and "witty" banter. Happily this improved after the first 30 - 50 pages and I'm happy to report that, whilst not a classic, this is very entertaining and well written. The authors must be a fan Terry Pratchett as they seem to share the same sense of humour*.

I wasn't aware that this was originally a webcomic when I bought the book but have started to read at h...more
Pervataru
Even if you have already read the graphic novels this is based upon, they still give you remarkable detail, depth and Insight into this world. This is a must read for those just getting into the Steampunk genera.
Colin Birge
Ridiculous, over-the-top, wildly entertaining pulp fiction with a bit of steampunk flair. This is the second in a series of novelizations from the long-running, Hugo-award-winning webcomic Girl Genius. You'll consume it in a gulp, spun sugar and honey dissolving instantly in your mouth but leaving a wonderful taste.

If you've read the webcomic, you know the story. I have to admit, though, I found the backstabbing and wheels-within-wheels plotting of the second half of the book far easier to follo...more
Erika RS
Adventure! Romance! Giant holograms in revealing dresses!

Like the first Girl Genius novelization, Agatha H and the Airship City, this book is a page for page novelization of the graphic novel. Like it's predecessor, it's not as good for a novel as the comic is for a web comic, but that's a incredibly high bar. The novelization gives insight into the characters and plot that just don't work as well in a graphic novel. For fans of Girl Genius, this novel is a must-read supplement.
Hobart
What a delightful read! All the strengths of the comic--but augmented and amplified--and, sadly, all of the weaknesses. But since the balance is so far to the "strength" side...who cares?

The last 1/4 (or so) of the book--like the source material--is just too convoluted for my taste, too many balls in the air at once. Still, I had an easier time following it in prose, so I'm not complaining too much.

If you haven't yet--go read the comic (www.girlgeniusonline.com) tout suite. Then go read the nov...more
Mainon
I'm continually torn between the novels and the graphic novels. I can't decide which I like better!
  • Space Captain Smith (Chronicles of Isambard Smith #1)
  • The Doomsday Vault (Clockwork Empire, #1)
  • The Janus Affair (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #2)
  • The Horns of Ruin
  • Secrets of the Fire Sea (Jackelian, #4)
  • Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2)
  • All Men of Genius
  • The Falling Machine (The Society of Steam, #1)
  • The Constantine Affliction
  • Steampunk'd
  • Steampunk Prime: A Vintage Steampunk Reader
  • The Osiris Ritual (Newbury and Hobbes, #2)
  • Morlock Night
  • Mothstorm (Larklight, #3)
  • The Doctor and the Kid (Weird West Tales, #2)
  • Heart of Brass (Clockwork Agents, #1)
  • Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2)
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
A popular science fiction fan artist in the 1970s, Phil Foglio began writing and drawing cartoons and comics professionally in the 1980s. His work includes "Magic: The Gathering," "Buck Godot," and the popular series of comics and novels, "Girl Genius," cowritten by his wife, Kaja Foglio.

Awards:
Hugo Award for Best Fan Artist (1977 and 1978)
Hugo Award for Best Graphic Story (2009, 2010, 2011)
More about Phil Foglio...
Girl Genius, Vol. 1: Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank (Girl Genius #1) Girl Genius, Vol. 2: Agatha Heterodyne and the Airship City (Girl Genius #2) Girl Genius, Vol. 3: Agatha Heterodyne and the Monster Engine (Girl Genius #3) Agatha H and the Airship City (Girl Genius) Girl Genius, Vol. 5: Agatha Heterodyne and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius #5)

“Marie clasped her hands together and looked vulnerable. Payne flinched. “The only time you don’t tell me something is when you think it’s dangerous, because being a fragile, sheltered noblewoman, I might faint at the thought of experiencing physical harm like a common person.”

She sighed, and seemingly from nowhere, produced an enormous cast-iron frying pan easily one hundred centimeters in diameter. “And then,” she said sadly, “I have to damage one of the good pans by smacking it against your thick, common skull until you tell me—”
7 likes
“As Master Payne escorted her to the waiting coach, a small frown crossed her face. "People keep giving me rings," she confided to him, "But I think a small death ray might be more practical.” 3 likes