Start by marking “Necroscope IV: Deadspeak” as Want to Read:
Necroscope IV: Deadspeak

Necroscope IV: Deadspeak (Necroscope #4)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  4,045 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
Book by Lumley, Brian
Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages
Published May 15th 1990 by Tor Books (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Necroscope IV, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Necroscope IV

Ade Couper
Mar 12, 2012 Ade Couper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well , back to the excellent Brian Lumley & his "Necroscope" series ; at the start of this book , Harry Keogh is an ex-necroscope , his powers having been taken from him by his son (who is Wamphyri) about 4 years ago. At the same time E-Branch are looking into a case of drug smuggling in the Greek islands , & a Mr Lazaridis is finding archaeological treasures so easily-almost as if he knows exactly where to look....

So , there's a new vampire in town (or in Romania to be exact) & to f
Arunkumar Mahadevan Pillai
Maybe it's just me, but 'chillers' stopped chilling me and 'thrillers' stopped thrilling me a long, long time ago. It'd been a good long while since I picked up a book which fell into either category, when I got my hands on this one. The cover is suitably disturbing and well-done. The same cannot be said of the contents. I can only say that this book displays about the same level of plot ingenuity as a 1960's pulp comic. Which is not that surprising, since this is after all the fourth book of a ...more
Julian
Feb 16, 2015 Julian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Deadspeak” was one of my favorite Necroscope stories. I’ve been reading the books in chronological order, so I’ve spent the last few months read about all of Harry’s adventures during the Los Years. Pirates, alien forest monsters, the plague bearer, the Mobius murders, etc. I’ve been dying to get back to the present following Harry Keogh’s experience on Sunside/Starside. And Lumley didn’t disappoint.

“Deadspeak” contained all the story elements I was hoping for, including a strong showing by me
Roddy Williams
Harry Keogh has returned from the parallel world of the Wamphyri with his Necroscope powers hypnotically removed by his vampire son, Harry Jr. He can no longer speak to the dead or go teleporting through time and space via the Mobius continuum.
If this wasn't bad enough his new boss is trying to murder him, he is being stalked by a Soviet assassin, and the dead are rising from their graves to leave him messages on his lawn, arranged in pieces of dry stone walling.
Meanwhile, in Romania, a group of
JP
Dec 24, 2015 JP rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Oh hey, turns out there is another Ferenczy. Or rather, that's what a lot of this book felt like. Don't get me wrong, it's interesting to fill out a few more of the possibilities of what might happen if a vampire spawns a mostly human child who then desperately tries to learn to be a Vampire. But at the same time, it's starting to feel like the same story again, just with different players.

Another twist this time, which I at first appreciated was that Harry has lost his powers (stolen from him b
Stacy Croushorn
Mar 13, 2016 Stacy Croushorn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best of the series.
Geoff Battle
Jun 17, 2017 Geoff Battle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deadspeak will make far more sense if you're up to speed with the previous three Necroscope novels. This entry offers a fresh story and villain, utilising a myriad of characters from the first books. It has plenty of twists and the plot is well constructed and straightforward. Previous entries have contained substantial reminiscence to build the story and Deadspeak is set solidly in the current era, with a single flashback to offer some depth to the new plot. Although it capitalises on previous ...more
Michelleandderek Nakagawa
As Harry has been deprived of his deadspeak, he must continue to fight against vampires. This time it is Janos, son of Faethor, and he is no joke.
This series continues to please and always seems to have more surprises in store as old characters die and new ones are introduced.
Bring on the next one.
A Bald Mage** Steve
Decent novel on old ideas... 6.5/10
Jack
Sep 13, 2013 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 - 5 stars this is the first of the necroscope series that I read and have since collected and read them all... maybe a few of the very end I might have missed, but after all the "sparkly" vampire and silly movies and novels i needed to re-read a true vampire lets bleed and no remorse creature book and the creatures in this series do just that, not only are they a race totally different from humans but they live there life as such. The best parts of these novels (for me ) are when the story-l ...more
Paul Darcy
Jan 09, 2012 Paul Darcy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
By Brian Lumley, published in 1990.

In Necroscope IV: Deadspeak, the fourth Necroscope novel by Brian Lumley, something in Romania is stirring again. Ashes to ashes, dust to demon . . .

But Harry Koegh, the Necroscope, has been stripped of his powers and is pretty much useless in the battle which is to come. It is a battle he will need to win, but how?

The last of the Wamphyri - Lumley's version of uber-vampires - is thought to have been burned from the world of men, but that is not altogether true
Jason Gusman
Aug 11, 2011 Jason Gusman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a while that Harry's powers have been dormant. The new head of E-Branch (really a Russian spy) sets up Sandra to keep tabs on him, She becomes Harry's girlfriend in the process. During this dormant time, Harry has his mind overtaken by the dead while he sleeps. These increasingly horrific dreams start to show a sign of reason for him and he figures out that the dead are sending him a message to go to the Mediterranean Sea are and track down vampires. Sandra's intentions are revealed af ...more
Andy Strutt
Dec 28, 2013 Andy Strutt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Necroscope Series by Brian Lumley
Review by Andy Strutt author of “The Afflicted”

I first discovered this series by receiving “Necroscope III : The Source” as a Christmas present. I had never heard of Brian Lumley but I was instantly infatuated with his work as soon as I had read the first few pages. Obviously, the first thing I did was go out and find the rest of the Necroscope series.
Harry Keogh is a very strange character with morbid supernatural powers that allow him to speak to the dead. That
Matthew Allred
May 10, 2015 Matthew Allred rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The entire Necroscope series is just one big treat if you like horror and/or espionage. Yes, as I've mentioned in every review for Lumley's books, he's a wacky writer (often not intentionally), but if you can see past some of his quirks and literary weaknesses you'll find his weird, magnanimous soul shining out on every page. I don't know him personally of course, but from his books he just seems like an extremely imaginative and likable person, the kind of person you want around you. The books ...more
Michael Daniel
Brutal and creepy -
Very good series! Imagine any knowledge that you needed at the ready for your asking. Enter Harry. Very well designed story, with a main character that is easily identified with, Harry Koegh. The imagination that came up with these characters must have experienced some truly awful things. Lumley, being an ex SAS officer, surely did.

The vampires in this series are not nice. They are not warm and fuzzy. They're not cute (well, the women can be) and they know one primal rule: A
Russell
Sep 25, 2011 Russell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scififantasy
I enjoyed this Fourth entry in the Necroscope series more than any of the others.

While in the past I've felt as if I had to slog through parts of this series, this book was crisp, clear, and I kept flipping the pages.

It's more of Harry vs Vampire, but this time the Vampire is Greek. I was a bit disappointed it didn't go into more "Romanian Vampires suck blood like this, but Greek Vampires suck blood like," but we got to see more Traveling People which is always cool.

This book felt like a strea
Slobodan
Jul 23, 2012 Slobodan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Deadspeak returns the story back to Earth after the previous book; The Source,took us to the alien world from where the Wamphyri originate.

The book introduces a new threat rising in the Romanian mountains; Janos Ferenczy. Not as sensational as the previous book or as sci-fi; Deadspeak returns to the formula of the first two books and follows the building up of a final conflict between two creatures with extraordinary powers.

Brain Lumley places the story in four different locations; The U.k, Ro
Chris
Aug 24, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 4 about Harry Keogh: Necroscope. Janos Ferenczy, son of Faethor is back, and aims to be Wamphyri in our world (not Starside). Harry, however, has lost his powers, and is a mere normal man again. What to do to stop this from happening? That's the ride this book takes you on, and it's a good one. Darcy is here, as well as Jazz and Zek (albeit not for much of the book), and there is much travel with some Russian spys thrown as a seperate plot to try to foil the good guys again. Will they succe ...more
ika
This book has one disadvantage (maybe It is just for me), and that is the lack of content, so you have to scroll a while until you catch your favourite parts.
By the way, from the novel you can feel Lumley's great passion for traveling (and drinking Metaxa), as well as Brian's writing history, when he had developed the myth of Cthulhu (in scenes like conjuration the dead ones).
The only positive thing, which I really enjoyed was the director of the British branch of E, who has an unreadable mind.
Lisa Cleveland
Oct 19, 2014 Lisa Cleveland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The beginning of the end? Harry Keogh has some major problems, he's lost his deadspeak and access to the Mobius Continuum, but he's also got a nasty red thread running through his future timeline. I loved this book. Janos Ferenzcy kills off some well beloved characters in this book and I was sorry to see them go. I love how this story takes place in the Greek islands with a bit of Romania thrown in, of course. One of Mr. Lumleys best books in the series. Yep, I'd recommend this story and author.
Taft Babbitt
Apr 16, 2008 Taft Babbitt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So my buddy in college came to me with the first book in this series demanding that I read it. I told him I wasn't into Vampires. He insisted, demanded! So I read it and it with it's following books was one of the great adventures I have been on while reading. I loved these books. You learn so much about Vampires and their history (according to the author of course :) and the hero feels like a good friend.
Kissu
Aug 31, 2016 Kissu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bill
Jan 23, 2008 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, favorites
Another great installment of the Necroscope series. The whole vampire genre has been hashed and rehashed to death, but Lumely's legends are so original that this saga stays fresh through each novel. Add in all the other supernatural aspects he throws in and you never know what to expect around the corner.
The characters remain rather wooden throughout, but amazingly this does nothing to take away from a really fun reading experience.
Kenny Oswald
The weakest of the first 5 books in the series, but you must read it if you liked any of the others and plan to read the 5th! This was actually the first book I read in the Necroscope series and it turned me own to reading all the others (some 14 books now...) - so while I don't rate it very high, it's still a good entertainment read as well as a significant impact on the rest of the books of the whole series.
Jim Spencer
Dec 12, 2015 Jim Spencer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this one is very different. it picks up a few weeks after the events of the third book and Harry has suddenly got amnesia. this is explained as the book goes on and we also have the soul of a wamphyri who is trying to use mysticism to get into a body. I told you its different. that is the reason I like it though. we get the usual amount of violence, horror and sex you should expect now, but this gives the character of Harry more depth. and the finale is pretty good too.
Leigh
Aug 19, 2014 Leigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Another great book in the story of Harry Keogh, Necroscope. I enjoy the way Lumley paces things in his books. It's nice to see that someone as powerful as Harry still has his weakness & gets battered around at times. I just wished he'd put in more of Janos. He's built up to be so powerful, yet we rarely see much of him after his initial introductions. But I guess that can be overlooked as we do learn a lot about him from Faethor.
Angi Davis
Apr 26, 2013 Angi Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another good book... It was so very sad that through most of it Harry wasn't able to use deadspeak nor the mobius continuim... On to the next one... I cant wait til Icome to the point where I had left off many years ago. One nice thing though is that I don't remember much from before. It only just seems familiar... I keep waiting for certain things to happen, which haven't yet, so I know I amnot quite there.
Coy
May 01, 2007 Coy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi/Vampire Buffs
If you get this far in the series then there is no turning back. This book starts out a little slow but heats up once Harry starts to figure things out. Janus was one of the best vampire villians that Lumley had yet devised. The ending is insane. Just not as good as the Source but still a good easy read.
Ashley
Nov 29, 2015 Ashley marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
#
NC
Own in paperback.

FS: "Christened Harry "Snaith," in Edinburgh, 1957, Harry is the son of a psychic-sensitive mother, Mary Keogh (who is herself the daughter of a "gifted" expatriate Russian lady), and Gerald Snaith, a banker."

LS: "Men should never try to read the future. For it's a devious thing."
Tom
Jul 30, 2007 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lumley carried the insanity over from Book 3 into this one very well. Starts off slow at the very beginning, but picks up quickly.

This one takes the whole Deadspeak concept to another level. A few reaches but that's OK.

Great ending to this chapter of the series with a slight hint at thing(s) to come. Looking forward to book #5 in the series.
The 'Necroscope' 4-D Motion Picture 1 15 Feb 17, 2014 06:35PM
  • Dominion (Dracula Series, #5)
  • In the Blood (Sonja Blue, #2)
  • The H.P. Lovecraft Omnibus 1: At the Mountains of Madness and Other Novels of Terror
  • Vampyrrhic
  • Angel Souls and Devil Hearts (Shadow Saga #2)
  • Near Death (Power of the Blood, #2)
  • Lord of the Vampires (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #3)
  • Furnace
  • Vampire Apocalypse: A World Torn Asunder
  • The Wells Of Hell
  • Dracula Unbound
  • Winter Duty (Vampire Earth, #8)
  • Kiss of the Vampire (Creed, #1)
  • Skarlet (The Vampire Trinity, #1)
  • The Empire of Fear
20602
Brian Lumley was born near Newcastle. In 22 years as a Military Policeman he served in many of the Cold War hotspots, including Berlin, as well as Cyprus in partition days. He reached the rank of Sergeant-Major before retiring to Devon to write full-time, and his work was first published in 1970. The vampire series, 'Necroscope', has been translated into ten languages and sold over a million copie ...more
More about Brian Lumley...

Necroscope (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Necroscope (Necroscope, #1)
  • Vamphyri! (Necroscope, #2)
  • The Source (Necroscope, #3)
  • Necroscope V: Deadspawn (Necroscope, #5)
  • Vampire World I: Blood Brothers (Necroscope, #6)
  • The Last Aerie (Nekroscope, #7)
  • Vampire World III: Bloodwars (Necroscope, #8)
  • Necroscope: The Lost Years Volume I (Necroscope, #9)
  • Necroscope: Resurgence, The Lost Years Volume II (Necroscope, #10)
  • Necroscope: Invaders (Necroscope, #11)