Start by marking “Matcher Rules” as Want to Read:
Matcher Rules
Read Book* *Different edition

Matcher Rules

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Novi colony is inhumanly peaceful and John Jerzy has been sent to find out why. Jerzy's last assignment ended in disaster, his career has stalled, and he plans to unravel this minor mystery the Novians call the Matcher and get a real assignment as soon as possible.

Stella has lived on Novi all her life and she's going to the Matcher to find her affinity group. She sees no
Audiobook, 20 pages
Published by Podiobooks.com (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Matcher Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Matcher Rules

Julie Davis
I picked this up when Podiobooks.com released it recently. The basic concept of the Matcher (a sentient rock?) is interesting as is the conflict between the retros and the affinities (two opposing ways of organizing family life on the planet).

Here's the basic description.
Rob Slaven
As usual I received this book for free so I'd review it; this time from NetGalley. Also as usual I give my scrupulously honest opinions below.

For the purposes of categorization, this book falls into the same basic premise as the Dragonriders of Pern. Human colonists found a colony on an alien planet and find "thing" that completely changes their way of life. Saying much of anything else will constitute a spoiler so I leave it at that.

To the positive side of assessing this novel, the author's cr
Puddlyduck

I received this book free from netgalley - thank you!

Surprisingly, for a book describing such an alien society, you are thrown straight into the story with little explanation as to how the world works. Instead you have to rely on your own inferences and speculations to make sense of the characters' actions. I prefer this to an 'info dump' but a little more background information would have been helpful.

At first the idea of polyamorous relationships made me a little uncomfortable. People are grou
Mike
Pro tip: don't do what I did and set this book aside early on because you think it's just an apologetic for polyamory. First of all, it's not that at all, and secondly, it's really good.

I listened to the (free) Podiobooks version, but as is my policy with Podiobooks I enjoy, I'll be buying the ebook in order to support the author. It's for sale on both Smashwords and Amazon. I took a look at the first couple of pages of the Smashwords sample, and it looks competently punctuated and I didn't spot
Don
My many thanks to the Author, Publisher, and Goodreads for being selected to receive this free novel to read and review.

Was not too sure about this novel. Just because it was a Science-Fiction novel that alone caught my utmost interest.

Without going into the plot and any major comments of it I'm only going to state how I felt upon completion.

Great story! Science-Fiction without going all technical and then losing the reader due to having explain everything in scientific jargon or pages upon pag
Koeur

Publisher: Mary Holland
Genre: SciFi
Publishing Date: March 2014
Rating: 2/5

Publisher Description: Novi colony is inhumanly peaceful and John Jerzy has been sent to find out why. Jerzy’s last assignment ended in disaster, his career has stalled, and he plans to unravel this minor mystery the Novians call the Matcher and get a real assignment as soon as possible. Stella has lived on Novi all her life and she’s going to the Matcher to find her affinity group
Stephanie
I really liked the book and was glad that my expectations were not met since I liked that i had to readjust to what was coming. I got this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Andy
A very original Scifi-Story. I liked especially that it hard to expect what happens next.
At the beginning i thought "Oh its one of those stories" but it wasnt.
I realy enjoyed it.
Nancy
enjoyed the book - actually listened to the podio Book and went looking for others by the same author.

I have now purchased the Kindle version so it is added to my library.
Verity
Aug 15, 2012 Verity marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
sound good
Erica
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. The basic premise, a possibly sentient object matches people into lifelong partnerships of 2-5 people which creates an incredibly peaceful society, was unique and interesting to read, and definitely made reflect on some of the benefits and drawbacks of our own society.

The world of a multitude of colonized planets with differing social structures made me think of some of Le Guin's work, as it very much had the feel of a thought experime
Sandyberger3
Sandyberger3 marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
ares
ares added it
Apr 19, 2015
Crisantos Collazo
Crisantos Collazo marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Skaistė
Skaistė marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Amanda Edwards
Amanda Edwards marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Krystal Gibson
Krystal Gibson marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
R
R marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Isa Lavinia
Isa Lavinia marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Vilde
Vilde marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Sandra "Jeanz"
Sandra "Jeanz" marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Charise Falk
Charise Falk marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Mothersarcasm
Mothersarcasm marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
  • Millennium Crash (Watchbearers, #1)
  • Jupiter War (Owner Trilogy, #3)
  • Ripper (Event Group Thriller #7)
  • Dead Americans and Other Stories
  • Oak Island Revenge
  • Stowaway To Mars
  • Freedom Club
  • Only Human (The Targon Tales, #3)
  • Trojan Horse  (Jeff Aiken #2)
  • The Reincarnation of Peter Proud
  • The Gearheart
  • First to Fight (Starfist, #1)
  • Space Casey
  • The Last Day
  • Exile (Bloodforge #1)
  • Mentats of Dune (Schools of Dune, #2)
  • Consultation With a Vampire
  • The Eden Plague (Plague Wars, #1)
Mary Holland writes fantasy and science fiction. She's more interested how people would live in alien worlds than in the rocket ships they arrived on. She doesn't do vampires or dragons although that could change at any moment. She lives in the Santa Cruz mountains with several cats and a husband.
More about Mary Holland...
The Bone Road