Start by marking “Death by Cake (The Lost Secret, #1)” as Want to Read:
Death by Cake (The Lost Secret, #1)
Read Excerpt

Death by Cake (The Lost Secret, #1)

2.68 of 5 stars 2.68  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Warning! Foul language can be used. This book is a dark piece of comedy fiction, but the series is romantic as a whole. If you take it seriously, you will fry your brain. Not for children. Also, reading story may make you actually crave sweets.

Hippie hero, death by sweets, never ending childhood for young and old, and an interesting hit on the newest resident? Welcome to
Published (first published May 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Death by Cake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death by Cake

Leigh Mitchell
Feb 01, 2012 Leigh Mitchell rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
I can't read this, its too weird, gave it 3 chapters and dropped it. Strange town where everyone plays all the time, ficticious medical problem called JNSQ (Je Ne Sais Quoi). A review on Amazon said "not like any story you've ever read before" damn right and it won't be like any story I'll actually finish reading either.
I'm sorry to say that I thought this book was terrible. I did like the idea behind the book but that was as far as it went.

I found Death by Cake quite juvenile and irritating and the way the characters behaved just annoyed me. It wasn't what I was expecting from reading the blurb which was also a dissapointment. the story was also confusing with the way things were suddenly thrown in, despite never being mentioned before and a character's name changes which confused things.

I did like Rebecca th
Elly Helcl
Okay, I DNF'd this book around 10%. This book was just shallow. The characters had no depth, no real was flat.

And then the author started turning the book into a vegan to cure yourself and get yourself off of dangerous drugs by eating ONLY organic vegetables...

Nah...I will leave this to the vegans to pat each other on the back and the extreme foodies. I have no interest. Flat characters, offending my red meat sensibilities.

I won't recommend this book to
Quit reading in the 2nd chapter. Story was too rediculous too continue.
Strangest book I've ever read.
I've put off this review forever. I really, really have not looked forward to this.

If you do not want spoilers, do not read this review. If you wish to retain any shred of hope for humanity, do not read this review. You have been warned.

I read this book back in December, but I still have nightmares about it. In all of the books I've read since then, I have yet to find a book that got under my skin as much as this one did. And I've read some pretty terrible books.

When I first picked up this book,
Firstly, I need to tell, I won a copy of this book through GoodReads First Reads Giveaways in exchange for an honest review. So here goes...

I was quite excited to read this book, as it sounded like some thing fresh and different. The reality of it was, for me, rather different. It is the first book I have ever started reading that I thought 'I don't think I can finish this'. The first few chapters are not well written. I found them confusing, frustrating and repetitive. It felt like there was no
Shayna Gier
Shari. Kari. Do I need to say much else? Actually, I do. Although having a main character whose name is Shari Kari is just an automatic set-up for awesomeness, this book has so much more awesomeness to it than just the name of the main character- though I must say I had a fun time talking about this book with my husband just because I got to say “and then Shari Kari…” The entire premise of this book, that sweets can literally kill is incredible, and I more or less spent the whole time reading th ...more
Kayla Eklund
First of all, I must admit the warning is true. I ate a lot of junk food while reading this. I thought this book was absolutely wonderful. It was the most orginal novel I've read in years. The plot was wacky, but the writing was good enough to make it work. The disease Shari has, JNSQ, is obviously made up, but the author makes you almost believe it's a real disease. I liked how most of the characters were very innocent. Even when something came up, like Shari's ex not liking that she couldn't h ...more
This book is up there with fifty shades of grey for me I FOUND IT DISTURBING. There was nothing funny or exciting about it, it was just god dam strange
Indie Books For99
The town Melanie Ray creates in Death by Cake is quirky. Immature residents and health problems create conflicts between the main characters that put a smile on my face. Even the most mature resident, Zeke, has problems and acts childish. Shari, an outsider who comes to live there, is also quirky and stubborn. If you're looking for a completely different type of romantic comedy, than I recommend this one.
Nov 13, 2015 Toni added it
Shelves: 0-stars
Not romance, not comedy just a strange story of someone hiding from a reality that eventually catches up with them that gives too little too late for it to be something I'd read again or even want to read the other two books.

I'm glad this was free on the kindle as it isn't worth paying for and I'd have been totally peeved off if I had bought it because it wasn't anything like it was advertised to be.
Got this as I get so many of the Kindle stuf I read, very, very cheap.If I had paid more than the pennies ( I think 70p, not sure, but definitely under 1) I would have been really angry. I was dissapointed and kinda skipped/read jumping bits to see if something would improve in the end, but most definitely not my cup of tea. ...more
Carrie Allen
This book is completely ridiculous! It is a very strange mixture between a kids book and an adult book, and who knows which one it is meant to be? It isn't appropriate for kids, but it is absolutely not something that many adults would want to read either. I just don't get it.......
read to page 245 of 765 and just could not continue
Donna Maguire
Donna Maguire marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
alexandre marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Tura Casey
Tura Casey marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Shana Faulkner
Shana Faulkner marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Snef Snef
Snef Snef marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Emma marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Shellie Johnson
Shellie Johnson marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Janet Jachlewski
Janet Jachlewski marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Ella Seabrook-Wafer
Ella Seabrook-Wafer marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Fringe Fiction: Death by Cake by Melanie Ray 1 13 Dec 02, 2014 01:36AM
  • A Vested Interest - Immortality Gene
  • Aaibhe-Shee Queen (Legend, #0.25)
  • Devil Moon
  • Cool Shade
  • The Last Roman (The Praetorian Series: Book I)
  • The Cocoa Conspiracy (A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery, #2)
  • 51/50 The Magical Adventures of a Single Life
  • 200 Appetizers
  • The Disaster Preparedness Handbook: A Guide for Families
  • The Pickled Pantry: From Apples to Zucchini, 185 Recipes for Pickles, Relishes, Chutneys & More
  • Warrior Quest (The Ancient Lands, #1)
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Stories of Faith: Inspirational Stories of Hope, Devotion, Faith and Miracles
  • All Over Again (Recycled Souls #1)
  • Fallen (Descendants Saga, #1)
  • Eat, Read, Love: Romance and Recipes From the Ruby-Slippered Sisterhood
  • The Quest (Warriors for the Light #3)
  • Harlequin Holiday Collection: Four Classic Seasonal Novellas