Start by marking “Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell, #3)” as Want to Read:
Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell, #3)

Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell #3)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  1,951 ratings  ·  257 reviews
In the third book in this beloved and “riveting” (Romantic Times) urban fantasy series, demon-friendly tiki bar owner Arcadia Bell discovers more about her own evolving, and possibly destructive, magical abilities when her bar is the target of a demonic crime wave.

Renegade mage and bartender Arcadia Bell has had a rough year, but now the door to her already unstable world
Mass Market Paperback, 1st Edition, 366 pages
Published May 28th 2013 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Binding the Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Binding the Shadows

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
188th out of 2,466 books — 12,488 voters
Frost Burned by Patricia BriggsTwice Tempted by Jeaniene FrostEver After by Kim HarrisonHeart of Obsidian by Nalini SinghHouse Rules by Chloe Neill
2013 Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy (January - June)
31st out of 290 books — 1,120 voters

More lists with this book...

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽
4.5 ★'s

This book immediately jumps into the "fire"...literally. Lon and Cady are at Merrimoth's house on Dare's orders to bind him because he's been demonstrating usually strong powers seeming to evolve from his knack. Naturally, things go awry and Cady instinctively used her powers to help save Lon. During that process, she thinks she has contact with her Mother which understandably freaks her out. Needless to say, Cady has her hands full.

Well, one of the main things that I've said in prior r
Mariya
All I have to say is Jenn Bennett is freaking insane! Oh, my god! BINDING THE SHADOWS is one of those books where you go excited to mental meltdown! It is so good and engaging and I am loving every new book in the Arcadia Bell Series.

Cady and Lon are together and strong as ever and happy with Jupe! In BINDING THE SHADOWS, there is quite a lot going on in Cady's life right now. We have a mystery to solve as usual, plus Lon's ex's mother and sister come to town to visit and she has to show them th
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
I’ve long come to realize that most of my favorite Urban Fantasy series feature a steady, reliable, loving couple… or even a family: Kate and Curran (and Julie), Mercy and Adam (and Jesse) and of course Cady and Lon (and Jupe). It is a perfect way for authors to both remove all unnecessary drama and make us care deeply about more than one main character. This works for me every time, and while the three relationships I’ve mentioned aren’t all that similar, I’m equally invested in them all.

In Bin
Bonnie
A copy of Binding the Shadows was provided to me by Jenn Bennett for review purposes.

*No spoilers for any installments*

There are those kinds of Urban Fantasy worlds that are intricately built and detailed that you can completely envision and understand it. But then there are those kinds of worlds that are so easily envisioned that they are almost real. Sure there's a demon realm and magicians and all sorts of other craziness going on but you could swear it's really happening around you, Arcadia
Julie
Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

Binding the Shadows was an EXCELLENT book. And this is an EXCELLENT series. The first two books were among my top three favorite reads of the year they were released and I am positive this one will end up high on my list of favorites this year. This series just keeps getting better and better.

And now that I’m done gushing, let me get to my actual review…which will most likely contain more gushing.

Binding the Shadows is the third book in Jenn Bennett’s Ar
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Sep 29, 2014 Anna (Bobs Her Hair) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: UF fans
Shelves: urban-fantasy

Good plot with multiple story threads adding complexity to the characters and their relationships. Plus the the plot thickens! Book 2 had the best mystery, but BtS is focused on the character and preparing for book 4, the series conclusion. Binding the Shadows ends with a cliffhanger. It's going to change motivations, add higher stakes, and I'm anxious to read how Bennet will resolve everything.

Next up: Banishing the Dark (book 4 and final book)

Out-of-print! Very expensive mass paperba
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Every time I pick up a new installment in a series I automatically expect it to be better than the last; and even though there have already been plenty of books this year that have fit that description, Binding the Shadows is their Queen. This novel is larger-than-life, full-to-the-brim, jump-off-the-page, made-of-awesome good. I loved this series before but I am infatuated with it now! If you haven’t discovered Jenn Bennett you well, should get on that but, if you have a
Sandy Williams
Jenn Bennett, I hate you so much right now!

Gah. Like, for reals. How am I supposed to write my own book when I can't get Lon and Cady and Jupe out of my head. And that ending. Woah. Totally didn't expect that!

*deep breath*

I love Lon.

Actually, I think I'm going to end this "review" right there. That's all that needs to be said.

Lon.

P.S. Okay. I'll add more. If you like urban fantasy, and you're not reading this series, WHY NOT? It's the best UF out there. The characters are real and fantastic, a
Pamela / SpazP
LOVED. This series gets better with each book, and I am so happy to say it remains one of my most favorite UF series. Seriously, if you are a UF fan, you NEED to be reading this series!! Binding the Shadows left me feeling deeply satisfied with the character development and relationships further built upon between Cady, Lon and Jupe. Further, the overall story was very engaging, and the ending is one of those kind of cliffhangers that leave you dying for more. Arcadia fans are going to LOVE this ...more
Melindeeloo
Well I just finished up all three (and a half) of the Arcadia Bell books by Jenn Bennett (Kindling the Moon: An Arcadia Bell Novel, Summoning the Night: An Arcadia Bell Novel, Leashing the Tempest and Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell)) and I completely agree with other reviewers who said that the series got better with each book - and this one, wow.

In Binding the Shadows we get to see Cady begin to discover the pluses and minuses associated with her moon child powers and we find out something
All Things Urban Fantasy
The Arcadia Bell series works on two levels, both as a series with grand, sweeping plot points, and within each book, with the more intimate moments between characters. The cross series action is interesting, but not a motivating factor for me. It’s the personal bonds, the interactions between Cady and Lon and Jupe, that have me excited to go from one book to the next.

And in that regard, BINDING THE SHADOWS more than delivers. Lots of Jupe time, charming and hilarious and awkward as ever. Lots o
Mary
Although I enjoy this series very much, there is something that makes me love it even more-Cady and Lon's relationship. There are no love triangles, threesomes, moresomes, and what have you. No lying, cheating, or possibly two faced traitorous ex coming back into the heroine's life. Not that I have anything against them, b/c I have and do continue to read those, it's just refreshing for me. I love the fact that Lon's powerful in his own right and is given that sense of equality with Cady; that h ...more
Allison (The Allure of Books)
Binding the Shadows by Jenn Bennett is one of my most anticipated releases of 2013. The kind of anticipate where a crazed book hoarder such as myself goes slightly insane and waits up until the pre-ordered title shows up on my Kindle the night of its release (11:13 PM in this case, if you’re curious). I then proceeded to rip through it like the freak that I am. What can I say? I love me some Arcadia Bell.

So yeah, Binding the Shadows is the third book in the Arcadia Bell series. To be honest, I’v
Karen
My interest in UF has waned over the years because for the most part (there are always exceptions) the genre has gotten repetitive. Kick ass heroine that everyone wants to f*ck, hot alpha dude who runs hot then cold, lots of angst. It's all very predictable.

Then we have Arcadia Bell. This is the third book in this brilliant UF series and I went into this one terrified for several reasons. First being the third book in a series is usually when the predictability kicks in and things start to happe
Christal
See this review and others like it at Badass Book Reviews.com!

The Arcadia Bell series has always been excellent and tightly paced, but Binding the Shadows takes things to a whole new level. The story, the mystery, the characters, the revelations... everything is amped up to 11 here and coupled with a killer ending. Jenn Bennett has definitely cemented her status as one of the most talented writers in the Urban Fantasy genre. If you are a fan of Cady and Lon, you must pick up this book immediatel
Dr susan
I hate cliffhangers; Binding has multiple Everest-sized cliffhangers, but I had to give it 5 stars because it is that good. I admit I guessed one of the major plot twists very early in the story, and really hoped I was wrong (I can not tell you why without ruining it). The stories continue to enthrall me; I devoured this book in less than a day, and am going to read the ending again as soon as I finish this review. Binding is one of those books that you race to see the end, and then wish you wer ...more
Susana

4,5 stars

WOW!!
That ending it...it..it...was really brutal!! How am i supposed to hold on until MAY, for crying out loud??? OH MY GOD!! I NEED AN ARC!! ASAP...LIKE NOW....
...REALLY!!!

My feelings, my emotions...i may have become so addicted to this series that a re-read may be in order...oh, boy.

This story, well this time Cady and Lon are pulled by the Hellfire leader Dare to investigate a strange outburst of criminal activities in their town.
When to that, one adds the Christmas period (with Lon
Ami
Bionic juice is making Earthbounds' knacks powered up. Lon's ex-mother-in-law and ex sister-in-law are coming for Christmas. Yvonne (Lon's ex-wife) is also showing up. Priya (Cady's Hermeneus spirit) returns as a boy. And on top of that, Cady's power is acting up, she is not feeling herself lately, and her evil mother might still be alive ...

---------------

The third book in Arcadia Bell opens up with an action scene -- with Cady and Lon trying to 'talk' to Merrimoth, and it doesn't end well. Aft
Meigan
Seriously? THAT is how the book ends?!? Nothing is answered, chaos ensues, it's like someone came along and stole my puppy. Maybe not that drastic, but it sure was a shit ending. Poor Cady.

Holy mother of pearl, I don't even know where to begin. We will start with the positives: Hajo is back, and yes, he's still a jerk. A likeable junkie jerk. Cady is starting to show more emotion, which I liked. She is finally settling in with her little "family" and I like the direction that is going in. Jupe
Brianna
4.5 stars.

This was undoubtedly my favorite book in the series. So much happened in this story. There were new family members, finally meeting Yvonne, and a drug that made demon's knacks stronger. It was a great book with amazing pace, and it's everything I could ask for in a book from the Arcadia Bell series. Also, it has my favorite Cady/Lon scene EVER. Possibly, it's my favorite scene in the whole series. It was the best. These guys are officially one of my favorite couples in urban fantasy.
mrsj
Yep.
5 stars.
It is THAT awesome.

Sometimes you don't need to read a summary of the book to know it is good and sometimes words can't describe how one feels.

Hence these are my humble reactions after reading the book:

For everything especially the ending.

And when I realised it is the ending?

Now.. we wait.

Jean
4.5 stars. Awesome as usual! This is quickly becoming one of my favorite series. I love the characters, the pacing is spot on, and I was frequently caught by surprise by the direction the story took.

My only issue was with the final few pages. There were so many great developments and potential storylines that this twist didn't need to happen. (That's why it wasn't quite a 5-star read for me.) I trust Ms. Bennett. She's been awesome so far. This isn't my favorite direction for the series, but may
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 5.0

*First Thoughts*

No, you are not seeing things. Yes, I am rating this book with 5 stars! Yes, the ending of Binding the Shadows is so freaking good that I am going to have a hard time relaxing, demanding to know from Jenn what happens next to Cady, Lon, and Jupe! Binding the Shadows exceeded each and every single one of my expectations and then some.

Not sure I can write my full review at the moment. Thankfully, I have a few weeks before its released!

Expected publ
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Fans of the Arcadia Bell series are in for a treat. This book is engaging from start to finish. I didn’t want to put it down and immediately wanted to start the next book when I finished.

Opening Sentence: I scrambled through the second-story window and balanced on a square section of slanted roofing above a portico on the first floor.

The Review:

Well, I certainly wasn’t expecting that ending! I’d heard there was a cliffhanger at the end of th
Mara
Wow, what a ride Binding the Shadows has been. A crescendo of adrenaline that had me snarling at every man and cat that got near while I was reading.

With the third book, the series got into its full potential giving readers all: action, mystery, bad guys and friends, a love life and hints of future. Couple this with a unique and good world-building and you got yourself one of the most interesting UF series around.

For once I don't really mind a cliff-hanger :)
Cathy
Really terrific, exciting and emotional. And none of that ridiculous "when will they get together" stuff with all of the attendant near misses and stupid excuses. They got together in the first book and now they're making an adult relationship work, what a hugely refreshing change of pace!
Kayla at MyBookMuse
**ARC provided in exchange for an honest review**

Holy cow. Fantastic. If you have not started this series do so NOW!!! So far my favorite book in the series.

5 stars***
Review to come closer to release date!
Nikki Brandyberry
Arcadia Bell just wants a bit of downtime, but unfortunately that just isn’t in the cards for her and her demon boyfriend Lon. After her bar is robbed she sets out to find the people responsible for the crime and ends up getting drawn into a mystery of heightened demon knacks that is quickly spreading out of control.

After finishing Binding The Shadows in a whirlwind reading marathon I have so many feels that I don’t know where to begin. I seriously wanted to scream at the ending, so prepare your
Ronda
Talk about cliffhangers!!! OH MY GOD!!!!

I had my suspicions but as Jenn Bennett usually does, she wipes those suspicions away and waits until you least expect it, then pounces!!!

Cady is becoming more powerful in this book and we find out some of her magic ways and where they came from... However, we don't expect the things that happen...

A few stories going on, an elixir is being sold, one that enhances knacks and a couple of young demons who are high on this elixir are robbing places, including
  • Wrong Ways Down (Downside Ghosts, #1.5)
  • Fury of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #6)
  • Rogue Descendant (Nikki Glass, #3)
  • A Cursed Embrace (Weird Girls, #2)
  • Black City (Black Wings, #5)
  • Tempest Reborn (Jane True, #6)
  • Agave Kiss (Corine Solomon, #5)
  • Shadow City (Horngate Witches, #3)
  • Hot Blooded (Jessica McClain, #2)
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • A Trace of Moonlight (Abby Sinclair, #3)
  • Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • A Kiss of Blood (Vamp City, #2)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files #2)
  • The Ripple Effect (Rhiannon's Law, #3)
JENN BENNETT is an artist and author who writes books for adults and teens, including the Roaring Twenties series (Bitter Spirits, Berkley Sensation) and the Arcadia Bell UF series (Kindling the Moon, Pocket Books). Her first YA contemporary romance, The Anatomical Shape of a Heart, will be released in 2015 (Feiwel & Friends). She lives near Atlanta with one husband and two evil pugs. Visit he ...more
More about Jenn Bennett...
Kindling the Moon (Arcadia Bell, #1) Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell, #2) Banishing the Dark (Arcadia Bell, #4) Leashing the Tempest (Arcadia Bell, #2.5) Bitter Spirits (Roaring Twenties, #1)

“You're my favorite person, you know...you're my favorite person, too.” 4 likes
“His hand dove beneath my seat and surfaced with the sawed-off vintage Lupara.
"I distinctly remember telling you not to bring that thing," I complained.
"Felt like you were daring me.”
4 likes