Start by marking “Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell, #3)” as Want to Read:
Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell, #3)

Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell #3)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  3,470 Ratings  ·  307 Reviews
In the third book in this beloved and “riveting” (Romantic Times) urban fantasy series, demon-friendly tiki bar owner Arcadia Bell discovers more about her own evolving, and possibly destructive, magical abilities when her bar is the target of a demonic crime wave.

Renegade mage and bartender Arcadia Bell has had a rough year, but now the door to her already unstable world
Mass Market Paperback, 1st Edition, 366 pages
Published May 28th 2013 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Binding the Shadows, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Sharon ∞❥ is an angst book junkie ❥∞
4.5 ★'s

This book immediately jumps into the "fire"...literally. Lon and Cady are at Merrimoth's house on Dare's orders to bind him because he's been demonstrating usually strong powers seeming to evolve from his knack. Naturally, things go awry and Cady instinctively used her powers to help save Lon. During that process, she thinks she has contact with her Mother which understandably freaks her out. Needless to say, Cady has her hands full.

Well, one of the main things that I've said in prior r
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
I’ve long come to realize that most of my favorite Urban Fantasy series feature a steady, reliable, loving couple… or even a family: Kate and Curran (and Julie), Mercy and Adam (and Jesse) and of course Cady and Lon (and Jupe). It is a perfect way for authors to both remove all unnecessary drama and make us care deeply about more than one main character. This works for me every time, and while the three relationships I’ve mentioned aren’t all that similar, I’m equally invested in them all.

In Bin
Mariya
All I have to say is Jenn Bennett is freaking insane! Oh, my god! BINDING THE SHADOWS is one of those books where you go excited to mental meltdown! It is so good and engaging and I am loving every new book in the Arcadia Bell Series.

Cady and Lon are together and strong as ever and happy with Jupe! In BINDING THE SHADOWS, there is quite a lot going on in Cady's life right now. We have a mystery to solve as usual, plus Lon's ex's mother and sister come to town to visit and she has to show them th
Bonnie
A copy of Binding the Shadows was provided to me by Jenn Bennett for review purposes.

*No spoilers for any installments*

There are those kinds of Urban Fantasy worlds that are intricately built and detailed that you can completely envision and understand it. But then there are those kinds of worlds that are so easily envisioned that they are almost real. Sure there's a demon realm and magicians and all sorts of other craziness going on but you could swear it's really happening around you, Arcadia
Julie
Nov 12, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

Binding the Shadows was an EXCELLENT book. And this is an EXCELLENT series. The first two books were among my top three favorite reads of the year they were released and I am positive this one will end up high on my list of favorites this year. This series just keeps getting better and better.

And now that I’m done gushing, let me get to my actual review…which will most likely contain more gushing.

Binding the Shadows is the third book in Jenn Bennett’s A
Charlie
5 stars! This is by far my favourite book in the series, and that ending was amazing!

“You're my favorite person, you know...you're my favorite person, too.”

I adore Lon, Cady and Jupe and I love them more with each book. After the way this one ended I'm seriously scared to see how this series turns out but I have no doubt I'll love it. There's only 1 book left, I almost don't want to read it, I desperately don't want it all to end.

This series was something I found on Scribd, I'd never heard of
Giedre
Mar 25, 2016 Giedre rated it liked it
3.5/5

1) Cady's mum is officially worse than cray-cray. She's ten buckets of crazy mixed into a truckload of delusions of grandeur. Too bad most of her crazy happens off-page. I hope she gets more page time in the last book.
2) I had a morbid fascination about (view spoiler). I hope there's more about it in the last book.
3) Ugh. That cliffy. It was kind of pointless ending the book that way.
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Jul 08, 2012 Carmel (Rabid Reads) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Every time I pick up a new installment in a series I automatically expect it to be better than the last; and even though there have already been plenty of books this year that have fit that description, Binding the Shadows is their Queen. This novel is larger-than-life, full-to-the-brim, jump-off-the-page, made-of-awesome good. I loved this series before but I am infatuated with it now! If you haven’t discovered Jenn Bennett you well, should get on that but, if you have a
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Sep 17, 2014 Anna (Bobs Her Hair) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: UF fans
Shelves: urban-fantasy

Good plot with multiple story threads adding complexity to the characters and their relationships. Plus the the plot thickens! Book 2 had the best mystery, but BtS is focused on the character and preparing for book 4, the series conclusion. Binding the Shadows ends with a cliffhanger. It's going to change motivations, add higher stakes, and I'm anxious to read how Bennet will resolve everything.

Next up: Banishing the Dark (book 4 and final book)

Out-of-print! Very expensive mass paperba
Sandy Williams
Jun 27, 2013 Sandy Williams rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Jenn Bennett, I hate you so much right now!

Gah. Like, for reals. How am I supposed to write my own book when I can't get Lon and Cady and Jupe out of my head. And that ending. Woah. Totally didn't expect that!

*deep breath*

I love Lon.

Actually, I think I'm going to end this "review" right there. That's all that needs to be said.

Lon.

P.S. Okay. I'll add more. If you like urban fantasy, and you're not reading this series, WHY NOT? It's the best UF out there. The characters are real and fantastic, a
Pamela / SpazP
Mar 12, 2013 Pamela / SpazP rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
LOVED. This series gets better with each book, and I am so happy to say it remains one of my most favorite UF series. Seriously, if you are a UF fan, you NEED to be reading this series!! Binding the Shadows left me feeling deeply satisfied with the character development and relationships further built upon between Cady, Lon and Jupe. Further, the overall story was very engaging, and the ending is one of those kind of cliffhangers that leave you dying for more. Arcadia fans are going to LOVE this ...more
Ami
Bionic juice is making Earthbounds' knacks powered up. Lon's ex-mother-in-law and ex sister-in-law are coming for Christmas. Yvonne (Lon's ex-wife) is also showing up. Priya (Cady's Hermeneus spirit) returns as a boy. And on top of that, Cady's power is acting up, she is not feeling herself lately, and her evil mother might still be alive ...

---------------

The third book in Arcadia Bell opens up with an action scene -- with Cady and Lon trying to 'talk' to Merrimoth, and it doesn't end well. Aft
Mary
Although I enjoy this series very much, there is something that makes me love it even more-Cady and Lon's relationship. There are no love triangles, threesomes, moresomes, and what have you. No lying, cheating, or possibly two faced traitorous ex coming back into the heroine's life. Not that I have anything against them, b/c I have and do continue to read those, it's just refreshing for me. I love the fact that Lon's powerful in his own right and is given that sense of equality with Cady; that h ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Dare is now officially an asshole. If he had been doing things out of the goodness of his heart it would be different. But he's not. He's an asshole and now we know why his son Mark is such a tool.

In this latest installment, Dare's blackmail backfires and Cady basically tells him to fuck the hell off. His lies are incredible.

Whilst Dare is a thorn in her side, Cady has bigger issues. Issues like Lon's ex-wife waltzing in with her bloody allure knack. And, Cady is coming into her own power and it
All Things Urban Fantasy
The Arcadia Bell series works on two levels, both as a series with grand, sweeping plot points, and within each book, with the more intimate moments between characters. The cross series action is interesting, but not a motivating factor for me. It’s the personal bonds, the interactions between Cady and Lon and Jupe, that have me excited to go from one book to the next.

And in that regard, BINDING THE SHADOWS more than delivers. Lots of Jupe time, charming and hilarious and awkward as ever. Lots o
Melindeeloo
Jun 29, 2013 Melindeeloo rated it really liked it
Well I just finished up all three (and a half) of the Arcadia Bell books by Jenn Bennett (Kindling the Moon: An Arcadia Bell Novel, Summoning the Night: An Arcadia Bell Novel, Leashing the Tempest and Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell)) and I completely agree with other reviewers who said that the series got better with each book - and this one, wow.

In Binding the Shadows we get to see Cady begin to discover the pluses and minuses associated with her moon child powers and we find out something
Sandra
Aug 09, 2012 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Some series meander along and some just get better and better. This is one of the ones that just keep getting better.

Cady is trying to come to terms with her increased Moonpower, but something just isn't right. Jupe is fabulous and Lon is delicious when a magical crime wave hits Morella and even the Tiki Bar is robbed, and its right before Christmas.

Cady & Lon are on the case as to why the kiddie robbers have suped up knacks that should be impossible. Added to that Lon's in-laws are coming f
Lauren
Sep 11, 2016 Lauren rated it it was amazing
I can't stop reading these books! I'm completely obsessed with them. And I only have one more! *Sobs forever*
Christal
See this review and others like it at Badass Book Reviews.com!

The Arcadia Bell series has always been excellent and tightly paced, but Binding the Shadows takes things to a whole new level. The story, the mystery, the characters, the revelations... everything is amped up to 11 here and coupled with a killer ending. Jenn Bennett has definitely cemented her status as one of the most talented writers in the Urban Fantasy genre. If you are a fan of Cady and Lon, you must pick up this book immediatel
Steph
I love the part of the blurb that says, Renegade mage and bartender Cady Bell has had a rough year, but now the door to her already unstable world is coming completely unhinged, because it's so damned fitting.

In Binding the Shadows, Cady faces many different challenges in all areas of her life. Professionally, her bar gets robbed by some Earthbounds with tricked out abilities and she's had it with Dare's (the head of the Hellfire Club) demands. Personally, she's about to face the in-laws (Lon's
Karen
Jun 26, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
My interest in UF has waned over the years because for the most part (there are always exceptions) the genre has gotten repetitive. Kick ass heroine that everyone wants to f*ck, hot alpha dude who runs hot then cold, lots of angst. It's all very predictable.

Then we have Arcadia Bell. This is the third book in this brilliant UF series and I went into this one terrified for several reasons. First being the third book in a series is usually when the predictability kicks in and things start to happe
Jen
Second review after second read-through, October 12-15, 2016:
I will write a new review, but I HAVE to read book four first. ;-)

First review after first read-through, October 15-16, 2013:
This third book in the Arcadia Bell series was a solid five-star read for me. It was amazing! I was really wowed by this fantastic story. :)

It got off to a fiery beginning (literally! Cady and Lon were in a house on fire, lol!) and never lost that pace. I loved it!

One of my favorite parts was on page 69, when Cad
Allison (The Allure of Books)
Binding the Shadows by Jenn Bennett is one of my most anticipated releases of 2013. The kind of anticipate where a crazed book hoarder such as myself goes slightly insane and waits up until the pre-ordered title shows up on my Kindle the night of its release (11:13 PM in this case, if you’re curious). I then proceeded to rip through it like the freak that I am. What can I say? I love me some Arcadia Bell.

So yeah, Binding the Shadows is the third book in the Arcadia Bell series. To be honest, I’v
Dr susan
Jun 01, 2013 Dr susan rated it it was amazing
I hate cliffhangers; Binding has multiple Everest-sized cliffhangers, but I had to give it 5 stars because it is that good. I admit I guessed one of the major plot twists very early in the story, and really hoped I was wrong (I can not tell you why without ruining it). The stories continue to enthrall me; I devoured this book in less than a day, and am going to read the ending again as soon as I finish this review. Binding is one of those books that you race to see the end, and then wish you wer ...more
Susana

4,5 stars

WOW!!
That ending it...it..it...was really brutal!! How am i supposed to hold on until MAY, for crying out loud??? OH MY GOD!! I NEED AN ARC!! ASAP...LIKE NOW....
...REALLY!!!

My feelings, my emotions...i may have become so addicted to this series that a re-read may be in order...oh, boy.

This story, well this time Cady and Lon are pulled by the Hellfire leader Dare to investigate a strange outburst of criminal activities in their town.
When to that, one adds the Christmas period (with Lon
Brianna
May 30, 2013 Brianna rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

This was undoubtedly my favorite book in the series. So much happened in this story. There were new family members, finally meeting Yvonne, and a drug that made demon's knacks stronger. It was a great book with amazing pace, and it's everything I could ask for in a book from the Arcadia Bell series. Also, it has my favorite Cady/Lon scene EVER. Possibly, it's my favorite scene in the whole series. It was the best. These guys are officially one of my favorite couples in urban fantasy.
Meigan
Seriously? THAT is how the book ends?!? Nothing is answered, chaos ensues, it's like someone came along and stole my puppy. Maybe not that drastic, but it sure was a shit ending. Poor Cady.

Holy mother of pearl, I don't even know where to begin. We will start with the positives: Hajo is back, and yes, he's still a jerk. A likeable junkie jerk. Cady is starting to show more emotion, which I liked. She is finally settling in with her little "family" and I like the direction that is going in. Jupe
Keertana
Dec 13, 2013 Keertana rated it really liked it
If I'd read this when it came out last May I'd likely transform into a demon myself. Thankfully for my quaint little neighborhood, I'm very much still human as I've got an ARC of Book 4 right beside me. So far, however, this has been the best book in the Arcadia Bell Series. Not only were my emotions flailing all over the place, but I fall deeper in love with Cady's family every time I read about them - Lon and Jupe, by the way. Moreover, this novel incorporated the previous mysteries quite clev ...more
Shelley
May 09, 2012 Shelley rated it it was amazing
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 5.0

*First Thoughts*

No, you are not seeing things. Yes, I am rating this book with 5 stars! Yes, the ending of Binding the Shadows is so freaking good that I am going to have a hard time relaxing, demanding to know from Jenn what happens next to Cady, Lon, and Jupe! Binding the Shadows exceeded each and every single one of my expectations and then some.

Not sure I can write my full review at the moment. Thankfully, I have a few weeks before its released!

Expected publ
mrsj
Nov 03, 2012 mrsj rated it it was amazing
Yep.
5 stars.
It is THAT awesome.

Sometimes you don't need to read a summary of the book to know it is good and sometimes words can't describe how one feels.

Hence these are my humble reactions after reading the book:

For everything especially the ending.

And when I realised it is the ending?

Now.. we wait.

• Wrong Ways Down (Downside Ghosts, #1.5)
  • Touch of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #5)
  • River Road (Sentinels of New Orleans, #2)
  • Rogue Descendant (Nikki Glass, #3)
  • The Hour of Dust and Ashes (Charlie Madigan, #3)
  • Black City (Black Wings, #5)
  • Hot Blooded (Jessica McClain, #2)
  • Agave Kiss (Corine Solomon, #5)
  • Blood Winter (Horngate Witches, #4)
  • Devil's Paw (Imp, #4)
  • Double Cross (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #2)
  • Tempest Reborn (Jane True, #6)
  • Magic Without Mercy (Allie Beckstrom, #8)
  • The Shattered Dark (Shadow Reader, #2)
  • A Trace of Moonlight (Abby Sinclair, #3)
Jenn Bennett is an award-winning author of the Arcadia Bell urban fantasy series (KINDLING THE MOON), the Roaring Twenties romance series (BITTER SPIRITS), and the young adult contemporary romances THE ANATOMICAL SHAPE OF A HEART (aka NIGHT OWLS in the U.K.) and ALEX, APPROXIMATELY. Her books have earned multiple starred reviews from major trade publications, won the Romance Writers of America's p ...more
More about Jenn Bennett...

Arcadia Bell (4 books)
  • Kindling the Moon (Arcadia Bell, #1)
  • Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell, #2)
  • Banishing the Dark (Arcadia Bell, #4)

“His hand dove beneath my seat and surfaced with the sawed-off vintage Lupara.
"I distinctly remember telling you not to bring that thing," I complained.
"Felt like you were daring me.”
7 likes