Dear Crossing (Ray Schiller series, #1)
read ebook* *Different edition

Dear Crossing (Ray Schiller Series #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  27 reviews
The gruesome murder of a Minneapolis woman at her lakeside summer home shatters the peace of small town Widmer, Minnesota. Ray Schiller, a man with private demons of his own, follows the trail of evidence to Minneapolis where he teams up to investigate the murder with Homicide Detective Dick Waverly. The scrutiny of the widower's carefully guarded personal life threatens t...more
Paperback, 1st edition, 279 pages
Published April 8th 2012 by Marjorie Doering (first published February 3rd 2012)

Andy Angel
A brilliant start to what has the potential to be one of the next big series.

The story starts with a high profile and horrific murder. The lead character, police officer Ray Schiller starts the story having spent the night in jail for brawling. On release he is straight on the case. His chief would rather be rid of him but Ray is the best they've got.

Throughout the book we meet a mix of chracters from High Flying Exec's to Small Town Folk and they are all a good fit for the story. Each possible...more
Tamara

There is always an element of apprehension when you buy a book. When you have "agreed" to read and review a book when you've only seen the front cover. Apprehension is a very English understatement.

In it's favour was the genre - detective crime novel, but still with dread, I read a few paragraphs from the middle.

Immediate, snap judgement was that this was going to be a comfortable read. perhaps too straightforward and too easy to second guess the whodunit character. Man was I wrong by a moon...more
Mike
This was definitely anything BUT your average mystery. In the first chapter, I have to admit, I wasn't thrilled with reading about another cop who got drunk and got into a fight and who fights against their boss, etc but quickly the main character in the story showed a lot more character and I started liking him a bit. It seemed pretty cut and dry regarding who did the 1st killing but as the story progressed that even got murkier and as more murders occurred- none of which fit with the first kil...more
Tiffany
Marjorie Swift Doering’s, Dear Crossing, is a suspenseful ride following the fallacy of human greed, ambition, and addiction. I have a weakness for bad boys, especially heart-broken, bar-fighting, under-dog cops like Ray Schiller…WOW! With numerous suspects - all having motive and opportunity for the grisly murder of one prominent woman - I found it refreshing to read a novel and not have the villain pinpointed by the end of chapter one. Affairs and lies run rampant, countered with understanding...more
Mike
A fairly routine police procedural. Our uniformed hero has been given the requisite social failings to make him more human. He is separated from his errant (one brief time) wife, is jealous, has difficulty controlling his anger, and as is usual for this genre, likes his drink rather too much. In the second book it seems he will move out of uniform and join the crowd of literary detectives.
I found the plot a little fuzzy because of the quantity of those involved in the crimes and so had a bit of...more
Lacey
I received this awesome book in the Goodread Giveaways and boy did I LOVE reading this book. It is a great murder mystery with a few twists that I didn't expect...one was a sad twist but it was needed to show that the main character does have a heart.

Read it! You won't be disappointed I'm sure..if you are I'm sorry. But this is a great book and I am looking forward to following this author and reading more by her!
Kathy
Jul 19, 2012 Kathy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone! A super read, soooo worth it!
Recommended to Kathy by: A good friend!
Marjorie Swift Doering has written an amazing murder/mystery book! The title "Dear Crossing" is a clever play on words, suited perfectly for this fantastic book.

Ray Schiller is a good cop haunted by the traumatic events of his past, causing his life to spiral out of control. A horrific murder occurs leading Ray into an investigation where all are suspect and few are innocent! Ray is determined to find the murderer but he is faced with a tangled web of deceit, adultery, betrayal & more murder...more
Elizabeth Stiert (Book YAbber)
If this book could be classified as only one genre, it would definitely be Mystery. It started off with the one big who-did-it question, but so much happened in the book, and I had so many questions!

The story felt a bit slow to get going, but stick with it, because it climbs into a good story. Usually when I read a mystery, I get a pretty good idea of who the culprit is, but this story had me guessing until the very end. If you guess who it is halfway through the book, it just doesn’t seem fun,...more
Sharon Michael
A standard plot (gory murder in a quiet small town) with several sub-plots woven into that storyline. Good characterization, tight writing and nice pacing.

I did find myself blinking a bit at the switches between the scenes in the small town where the murder (and the sub-plots) takes place and the city, where the small town detective follows the murder trail. It made sense within the plot but the transitions sometimes seemed abrupt.

Personal issue with me, but I found myself sighing occasionally o...more
Liz Wood
OK read

Ray Schiller is an interesting character, and I enjoyed exploring him in Dear Crossing. I hope to see more of the series to better understand the character. I also appreciated the subtle twists and turns of the plot as the story unfolded.

Nancy Zuelzke
Worth reading.

this was the first book I have read in this set. I liked it enough to read more of them. the plot was fast paced and well thought out. y main character was believed a blue and nice mix of traits.
Lori A. Shirley
Great book

I loved this book and didn't want to put it down. It was an easy read and very interesting. I can't wait to read the next one.
Cindy Barnett
Interestingly connived plot. Some language, no gore or graphics. I didn't guess culprit. I like everything wasn't wrapped up in the end: Characters flawed, lives imperfect - like the real thing. Readable. TTS-enabled eBook. ©2012
Peggy
3.5 rounded down to 3 because of the copy editing. For me that is so distracting that it takes away from a good book. A good story, though, and much better writing than most of the books that are self-published.
Kaila
I really enjoyed this story. The characters and plot was very good. The mystery and thrill to the story was interesting. I would love to read more of these
Newbee (JoAnn) Brown
Very intriging plot. A lot of little crimes that eventual come together in the end... Or mostly.

Tho it was a great read it did leave you hanging to a certain exstinct... But I guess that is the authors point, to get you to read the next book!

I prefer to have each book plot closed personally and not leave you hanging, even on minor point. Do not get me wrong most of the questions are answered in the book ......

I would read the next book reguardless if I like the author.
I do like this author... Ex...more
Karla Sonnenberg
Ray Schiller is a typical renegade cop who is too big for the small town that he resides in. This multiple murder drama takes place in the fictional city of Widmer, MN. Valerie Davis visits her lake cabin and ends up dead. Ray is on the case and every time he thinks he is headed towards solving the mystery, the trail switches directions or someone else turns up dead.

This book was humorous to read as a Minnesotan as the geographic references are half true, half fictional! The drama is engaging an...more
Patricia Ibarra
A great mystery story with interesting characters. Ray Schiller is a bitter detective who is usually in trouble for his lack of respect to authority. Nevertheless, he is acknowledged as one of the best. A gruesome murder occurs and a woman is found dead with her arm chopped. Secondary characters are involved. Another man killed by a bull forces him to make use of his best skills. A bimbo, mistress of a top executive, also play a role. Unexpected plot twists contribute and generate excitement and...more
Kayla Henry
I received Dear Crossing through Goodreads First Reads. I love murder mysteries, so I was very excited to read it, and it did not disappoint! I loved Ray Schiller (a cop who is struggling with personal demons) and thought he was a great protagonist that was really well developed. It kept me on the edge of my seat from the first page to the last, and I felt the twists of the novel were just enough to keep it interesting but not too much that it seemed overly done. I can't wait to read more by Mar...more
Deb Mj
Just so-so for me. Will not pursue any other in the series.
Great book!! I will read others by this author for sure!!
Susan
A GOOD MURDER MYSTERY STORY KEPT ME GUESSING UNTIL THE END
Marla Madison
Doering has created a likable character in Ray Schilling, a policeman trying to recover from a failing marriage and a move to a small town. He quickly becomes involved in the murder of a wealthy woman in her lake home nearby, an investigation with as many twists and turns as a jigsaw puzzle.
A great read.
Sandra Knapp
A thumb's up on this one!

Talk about plot twists, this was full of them, so it definitely kept you guessing. I thought it was well written, faced paced, with interesting characters and a rather good story-line.
Jillbo
If you like John Sandford's Prey series, you will like this. It is the first in a series, and unfortunately it's the only one published so far. Can't wait for Vol. 2!

Patricia Curtis
Seems like everyone else gave it five stars and enjoyed the book. Personally I found it slow going and boring.
Therese
Sep 19, 2012 Therese marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
$0.0
Ann-Michael Brickey
Ann-Michael Brickey marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
  • Superior Justice
  • Rise of the Dunamy
  • Girl Jacked
  • A Dead Red Oleander (A Dead Red, #3)
  • The Journal (Jack O'Neill Mystery, #2)
  • Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1)
  • Torch Ginger (Lei Crime, #2)
  • Death Comes eCalling
  • Killer Cuvee
  • Alive and Killing (David Wolf #3)
  • Skewed
  • The Missings
  • Blood and Justice (Jake and Annie Lincoln, #1)
  • Artful Dodger (Maggie Kean Misadventures, #1)
  • Habit
  • Crime Czar: a Hard-Boiled New Orleans Legal Thriller (Tubby Dubonnet #5)
  • Dead End Job
  • Death Will Get You Sober (Bruce Kohler, #1)
Shadow Tag (Ray Schiller Series #2) Mosaic: A Collection of Short Stories