Start by marking “Dear Crossing (Ray Schiller series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dear Crossing (Ray Schiller series, #1)

Read eBook* *Different edition

Dear Crossing (Ray Schiller Series #1)

The gruesome murder of a Minneapolis woman at her lakeside summer home shatters the peace of small town Widmer, Minnesota. Ray Schiller, a man with private demons of his own, follows the trail of evidence to Minneapolis where he teams up to investigate the murder with Homicide Detective Dick Waverly. The scrutiny of the widower's carefully guarded personal life threatens t ...more
Paperback, 1st edition, 279 pages
Published April 8th 2012 by Marjorie Doering (first published February 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dear Crossing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Crossing

Andy Angel
Jun 30, 2012 Andy Angel rated it it was amazing
A brilliant start to what has the potential to be one of the next big series.

The story starts with a high profile and horrific murder. The lead character, police officer Ray Schiller starts the story having spent the night in jail for brawling. On release he is straight on the case. His chief would rather be rid of him but Ray is the best they've got.

Throughout the book we meet a mix of chracters from High Flying Exec's to Small Town Folk and they are all a good fit for the story. Each possible
Tamara
Jun 20, 2012 Tamara rated it it was amazing

There is always an element of apprehension when you buy a book. When you have "agreed" to read and review a book when you've only seen the front cover. Apprehension is a very English understatement.

In it's favour was the genre - detective crime novel, but still with dread, I read a few paragraphs from the middle.

Immediate, snap judgement was that this was going to be a comfortable read. perhaps too straightforward and too easy to second guess the whodunit character. Man was I wrong by a moon
Heather
Oct 08, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
Fairly good book. It's a little inconsistent, which is frustrating.

The opening chapter tells the story about a drunken washed-up cop who is thrown in the slammer to sober up. It begs the question, "which came first - the reality of washed-up drunken cops or the entertainment of washed-up drunken cops." So many books and movies and tv shows are about cops who are toward the end of their career, have become jaded, and hit the bottle too much to get through life. Their wives have left them and the
Mike
Jun 08, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
This was definitely anything BUT your average mystery. In the first chapter, I have to admit, I wasn't thrilled with reading about another cop who got drunk and got into a fight and who fights against their boss, etc but quickly the main character in the story showed a lot more character and I started liking him a bit. It seemed pretty cut and dry regarding who did the 1st killing but as the story progressed that even got murkier and as more murders occurred- none of which fit with the first kil ...more
Tiffany
Aug 20, 2012 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Marjorie Swift Doering’s, Dear Crossing, is a suspenseful ride following the fallacy of human greed, ambition, and addiction. I have a weakness for bad boys, especially heart-broken, bar-fighting, under-dog cops like Ray Schiller…WOW! With numerous suspects - all having motive and opportunity for the grisly murder of one prominent woman - I found it refreshing to read a novel and not have the villain pinpointed by the end of chapter one. Affairs and lies run rampant, countered with understanding ...more
Lacey
I received this awesome book in the Goodread Giveaways and boy did I LOVE reading this book. It is a great murder mystery with a few twists that I didn't expect...one was a sad twist but it was needed to show that the main character does have a heart.

Read it! You won't be disappointed I'm sure..if you are I'm sorry. But this is a great book and I am looking forward to following this author and reading more by her!
Dorinda Duclos
Sep 07, 2015 Dorinda Duclos rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-novels
"Dear Crossing" keeps you guessing from the first chapter to the last. Personal conflicts, mixed with police matters, enhance the lives of the characters, inviting you to continue on to find out what happens next. I'm looking forward to reading the next two books in this series. If you like a good crime novel, I recommend this one!
Tanya Stewart
Feb 01, 2017 Tanya Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, fast read!

This is a very good book! You may think you know more than once who's behind the murders in Widner but you will be wrong! LOL! This story has a flock of red herring to keep you distracted. It's entertaining, flows well and keeps you engaged throughout the story!
S. Naomi Scott
I picked this one up out of curiosity, and on reflection I have to say it wasn't too bad. It's a bit by-the-numbers in places (washed-up cop with a drink problem and a broken marriage), but manages to keep itself fresh with a storyline that includes more than a few twists along the way.

This book plays the multiple-converging-story-arcs game quite well, and for once I wasn't able to figure out whodunit in the first few chapters, though in fairness that's probably because the actual culprit doesn'
Kathy
Jul 19, 2012 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone! A super read, soooo worth it!
Recommended to Kathy by: A good friend!
Marjorie Swift Doering has written an amazing murder/mystery book! The title "Dear Crossing" is a clever play on words, suited perfectly for this fantastic book.

Ray Schiller is a good cop haunted by the traumatic events of his past, causing his life to spiral out of control. A horrific murder occurs leading Ray into an investigation where all are suspect and few are innocent! Ray is determined to find the murderer but he is faced with a tangled web of deceit, adultery, betrayal & more murder
Mike
Feb 25, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
A fairly routine police procedural. Our uniformed hero has been given the requisite social failings to make him more human. He is separated from his errant (one brief time) wife, is jealous, has difficulty controlling his anger, and as is usual for this genre, likes his drink rather too much. In the second book it seems he will move out of uniform and join the crowd of literary detectives.
I found the plot a little fuzzy because of the quantity of those involved in the crimes and so had a bit of
Elizabeth Stiert
Nov 08, 2013 Elizabeth Stiert rated it liked it
If this book could be classified as only one genre, it would definitely be Mystery. It started off with the one big who-did-it question, but so much happened in the book, and I had so many questions!

The story felt a bit slow to get going, but stick with it, because it climbs into a good story. Usually when I read a mystery, I get a pretty good idea of who the culprit is, but this story had me guessing until the very end. If you guess who it is halfway through the book, it just doesn’t seem fun,
Sharon Michael
Sep 23, 2012 Sharon Michael rated it liked it
A standard plot (gory murder in a quiet small town) with several sub-plots woven into that storyline. Good characterization, tight writing and nice pacing.

I did find myself blinking a bit at the switches between the scenes in the small town where the murder (and the sub-plots) takes place and the city, where the small town detective follows the murder trail. It made sense within the plot but the transitions sometimes seemed abrupt.

Personal issue with me, but I found myself sighing occasionally o
Karla Sonnenberg
Nov 11, 2012 Karla Sonnenberg rated it really liked it
Ray Schiller is a typical renegade cop who is too big for the small town that he resides in. This multiple murder drama takes place in the fictional city of Widmer, MN. Valerie Davis visits her lake cabin and ends up dead. Ray is on the case and every time he thinks he is headed towards solving the mystery, the trail switches directions or someone else turns up dead.

This book was humorous to read as a Minnesotan as the geographic references are half true, half fictional! The drama is engaging an
P.S. Winn
Mar 11, 2015 P.S. Winn rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book and the author's writing style. Ray Schiller is a cop in a small town and when Valerie Davis is found dead, Ray and the other cops are at the end of their rope trying to find the killer. More killings and adventure take the reader into this fascinating story that I found compelling. I don't usually like series, but although this one left you hanging somewhat it did supply part of the ending and it looks like book two will start with Ray Schiller in a new town with an old ...more
Patricia Ibarra
Sep 27, 2013 Patricia Ibarra rated it really liked it
A great mystery story with interesting characters. Ray Schiller is a bitter detective who is usually in trouble for his lack of respect to authority. Nevertheless, he is acknowledged as one of the best. A gruesome murder occurs and a woman is found dead with her arm chopped. Secondary characters are involved. Another man killed by a bull forces him to make use of his best skills. A bimbo, mistress of a top executive, also play a role. Unexpected plot twists contribute and generate excitement and ...more
Newbee (JoAnn) Brown
Sep 25, 2012 Newbee (JoAnn) Brown rated it it was amazing
Very intriging plot. A lot of little crimes that eventual come together in the end... Or mostly.

Tho it was a great read it did leave you hanging to a certain exstinct... But I guess that is the authors point, to get you to read the next book!

I prefer to have each book plot closed personally and not leave you hanging, even on minor point. Do not get me wrong most of the questions are answered in the book ......

I would read the next book reguardless if I like the author.
I do like this author...
Kayla Henry
Oct 25, 2012 Kayla Henry rated it really liked it
I received Dear Crossing through Goodreads First Reads. I love murder mysteries, so I was very excited to read it, and it did not disappoint! I loved Ray Schiller (a cop who is struggling with personal demons) and thought he was a great protagonist that was really well developed. It kept me on the edge of my seat from the first page to the last, and I felt the twists of the novel were just enough to keep it interesting but not too much that it seemed overly done. I can't wait to read more by Mar ...more
Marla Madison
May 04, 2012 Marla Madison rated it it was amazing
Doering has created a likable character in Ray Schilling, a policeman trying to recover from a failing marriage and a move to a small town. He quickly becomes involved in the murder of a wealthy woman in her lake home nearby, an investigation with as many twists and turns as a jigsaw puzzle.
A great read.
Robert D Wyant
Feb 18, 2015 Robert D Wyant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No one's a suvivor

A. Fast read. Lots of bodies. If you are a secondary character you end up dead someway. All characters have some flaws that they must resolve but even though they are alive at the end they may not all survive those flaws. Fun read just beware of the twists and turns.
Cindy McDonald
Sep 17, 2015 Cindy McDonald rated it it was amazing
I just love them! Yep, I just love Schiller and Waverly. They make a great team--fabulous banter that makes me smile and then has me chuckling. Marjorie Doering has a great series in the Ray Schiller Mysteries. Dear Crossing is a well-woven story of murder, betrayal, lies, twists turns and just plain great story-telling. You've got to read Dear Crossing--it's a winner!
Nancy Zuelzke
Apr 16, 2014 Nancy Zuelzke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth reading.

this was the first book I have read in this set. I liked it enough to read more of them. the plot was fast paced and well thought out. y main character was believed a blue and nice mix of traits.
Cindy
May 07, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it
Interestingly connived plot. Some language, no gore or graphics. I didn't guess culprit. I like everything wasn't wrapped up in the end: Characters flawed, lives imperfect - like the real thing. Readable. TTS-enabled eBook. ©2012
Sandra Knapp
A thumb's up on this one!

Talk about plot twists, this was full of them, so it definitely kept you guessing. I thought it was well written, faced paced, with interesting characters and a rather good story-line.
Liz Wood
Jul 26, 2014 Liz Wood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK read

Ray Schiller is an interesting character, and I enjoyed exploring him in Dear Crossing. I hope to see more of the series to better understand the character. I also appreciated the subtle twists and turns of the plot as the story unfolded.

Kathy Floyd
May 30, 2014 Kathy Floyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now, I'm adding another author to my list.

This was a great book. I hated for it to end. Just when I thought I had it figured out, something would happen and change everything. Kept me guessing until the end.
Peggy
Jul 08, 2014 Peggy rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, e-book
3.5 rounded down to 3 because of the copy editing. For me that is so distracting that it takes away from a good book. A good story, though, and much better writing than most of the books that are self-published.
Lori A. Shirley
Jul 29, 2014 Lori A. Shirley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

I loved this book and didn't want to put it down. It was an easy read and very interesting. I can't wait to read the next one.
Diana J Heding
Sep 13, 2015 Diana J Heding rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good

This was a realistic book to read . Fast moving.......not predictable, but does leave you hanging.......tho read the second book.
Rita Schultz
Jan 24, 2016 Rita Schultz rated it really liked it
Good book...interesting characters, a lot of plot twists that keep you guessing. Nice writing style.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Deadly Illusions (Greg McKenzie Mysteries, Book 3)
  • Rise of the Dunamy
  • Killer Cuvee: Walla Walla Valley
  • Dead Of Winter (Louis Kincaid, #2)
  • The Journal (Jack O'Neill Mystery, #2)
  • A Dark Perfection
  • Artful Dodger (Maggie Kean Misadventures, #1)
  • Death Comes eCalling (Molly Masters Mystery #1)
  • The 24th Letter (Sean O'Brien, #2)
  • The Shoulders of Giants
  • I Have a Secret (Sloane Monroe, #3)
  • Murder At The Rocks (Alistair Fitzjohn Mystery #2)
  • Dark Side of Sunset Pointe (Lance Underphal Mystery #1)
  • Irrefutable
  • Creatures of Appetite
  • Dead End Job (Louisa Hallstrom, #1)
  • The Missings
  • Conundrum

Ray Schiller Series (2 books)
  • Shadow Tag (Ray Schiller Series #2)