Start by marking “The Skull Throne (Demon Cycle, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Skull Throne (Demon Cycle, #4)

The Skull Throne (Demon Cycle #4)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  5,884 ratings  ·  558 reviews
The first three novels in New York Times bestselling author Peter V. Brett’s groundbreaking Demon Cycle series—The Warded Man, The Desert Spear, and The Daylight War—set a new standard for heroic fantasy. The powerful saga of humans winnowed to the brink of extinction by night-stalking demons, and the survivors who fight back, has kept readers breathless as they eagerly tu ...more
Published March 31st 2015 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about The Skull Throne, please sign up.

Terence As of 10/24/14 The Skull Throne will be released on March 31, 2015 instead of March 24 due to a production delay.

Tyler I'd say there's probably a 50 % chance he's alive. The possible evidence of this being in a few things that I saw. 1. on page 630, it says "Leesha…moreI'd say there's probably a 50 % chance he's alive. The possible evidence of this being in a few things that I saw. 1. on page 630, it says "Leesha hadn't needed to fake her weeping at the sight of Rojer brought down from the tower." Why would she need to fake it? The only answers I could come up with are either she knows he's still alive or it could potentially be that she was thinking about hiding prior knowledge of his death. 2. Leesha fought really hard to bring Rojer's body back to the Hollow. Again this can either be that he's not really dead, or it could just be that she cares enough for him that she wouldn't want to leave his body in the hands of people who didn't know or care for him. 3. While Amanvah was in the process of healing him, at the very end, he started to feel a burning in his chest, generally people feel less pain as they lose more blood it seems more like the healing started taking effect. And while Amanvah and Sikvah's reactions after seemed angry, they didn't seem all that sad, and we do know they both loved him. It's my guess and my hope that they did something to him that would possibly make him seem dead in order for him not to be blamed for the death of all the guards. He was already in trouble before, but afterwards there would have been little anyone could have done to save him from being put to death. Again, it's just a guess, but Peter Brett has a tendency to play with people's emotions at the end of one book to make them want to read the next one more to see what happened. Though Rojer's death scene did seem more final than say Arlen's potential death at the end of the last book, I wouldn't put something like this past him .(less)

Kristina
Apr 20, 2015 Kristina is currently reading it
04/06/2015
Almost two years to the day since this original post and I must say, I AM SOOO EXCITED to see all the 4 and 5 star reviews that keep popping up. I am starting this on Wednesday, and I CAN'T WAIT!!!

04/05/2013
Just finished The Daylight War... now I wait...

Dan Schwent
Are Arlen Bales and Jardir dead or just missing? Who will step up to fill the power vacuum left in Jardir's absence? And what of Leesha Paper and the child inside her, or Rojer Half-Grip and his ever-growing group of wives? And what of Count Thamos? All of these questions and more will be answered in the penultimate volume of the Demon Cycle, The Skull Throne!

I got this from Netgalley.

After the wreckage that was the Daylight War, I decided nabbing an ARC was the only way I cared to continue the
Obaid Haroon
Myke Cole
I am one of the fortunate few who has gotten to read the manuscript pre-publication. I will not say anything other than that Brett continues to get better with each book, and you are all in for a treat. The Skull Throne is his best work yet.
Mark Lawrence
[slight spoilers possible for books 1-3]

The penultimate instalment in Brett's demon cycle quintology (the V in Peter V Brett is in fact the Roman numeral for 5, it was always going to be a quintology).

Another great read that I consumed in chunks over the course of 6 weeks.

At first I was confused by the sheer number of names of ranks and people that I'd forgotten since the last book. But at the Grim Gathering Peter pointed out to me that I was an idiot (with great diplomacy) - there's a family t
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/03/16/b...

I’m going to be keeping this a spoiler-free review and I won’t be revealing anything that’s not in the book description…because I get it. Even after the crazy cliffhanger Peter V. Brett left us with at the end of The Daylight War, I refused to read the first chapter of The Skull Throne that he’s had on his website for the longest time. Despite my burning curiosity, I was sure I didn’t want to know how anything resolved u
seak
I've found I've had the most difficult time reviewing this book and the problem I'm running into is not making it sound like a huge fanboy love-fest.

Not only do I love this series, but this was quite possibly the best yet. There's so much to it. So much action and so many things happening and barely a flashback to be seen. I enjoyed the flashback in The Daylight War quite a bit, but for some reason I loathed the thought of another lengthy one in this one. I think you can do one well, but more t
Ademilson Moraes
I had really high expectations for this book. Sadly, they were not entirely matched. The thing that got me into reading this series was Brett's ability to write characters is such a manner that, more than anything, made it possible to understand their feelings and thoughts. In the first three books he did so flawlessly. More than six hundred pages, then, felt like sixty; on this one there were parts where a thirty-page chapter felt like forever. The first one-fifth or so was great, but I already ...more
Brett
The first book of this series was good. The main character was someone you could root for. The story was unique and interesting. The world and magic were interesting and readers got to follow the main character doIng interesting things.

I'm not sure what made the author decide politics, particularly politics of some quasi-islamic, closed minded, hateful culture, was what made the series worth reading, but he certainly commited to that idea in a big way.

With the latest book, I find myself skippi
Bob Milne
The first three Demon Cycle novels were stories of heroes. Through them, we confronted the age-old question of whether heroes are born, or whether they are made. They were also, at their heart, stories of betrayal. In them, we bore witness to two men, friends and allies, who turned upon one another in a battle to be named The Deliverer. We watched as one betrayed the other in a desperate attempt to claim that title, and then watched as the other betrayed everything he'd been taught, just to surv ...more
Kaitlin
This book, as some of you may know, was actually the book I had been most anticipating this year. After picking up the previous 3 books in very quick succession way back in 2012/2013, I was left with a massive desire to have more of the characters, and world where everything took place.

I believe one of the things I most enjoy about Brett's works is his ideas and the way that he manages to get these wacky, crazy demons to seem slightly less crazy than some of the humans in the book. Basically thi
Terence
Ahmann Jardir and Arlen Bales, the two men believed to be the Deliverers of the world by many, are missing after Arlen threw them both from a cliff during their fight to the death. Their respective followers are forced to regroup and learn how to move forward without them.

In Everam’s Bounty, Inevera attempts to keep a firm grasp on her power while keeping her sons, Jayan and Asome, from starting a civil war in order to claim their fathers’ throne.

In Hollow County, Leesha Paper and Rojer Inn are
Franklin
This series started off very strong, but it has turned into a pile of shit. The main reason for this, the krasians. At some point in this book Rojer thinks what his life would have been like if his parents had lived. I look at the this series in that way concerning the krasians and their lame ass backwards culture. If they had only remained the stepping stone for Arlen becoming the Warded Man, all would have been good. Unfortunately they have spread into this series like a disease with their ext ...more
Amanda
Oh dear lord. Have you read this series?

If not, stop what you're doing right now and go pick up The Warded Man. Seriously, the worldbuilding is unique and fantastic, and the more you read, the more you get sucked into the story.

Now, once you're done with the first three books in the series, you will arrive at Skull Throne. And you will want it with every fiber of your being, and you will read it as quickly as you possibly can, because you have to, because you NEED TO KNOW.

And it will destroy you
Jareed
Dec 04, 2013 Jareed marked it as to-read
07/21/2013

A masterpiece is never rushed. Thank you Brett for teaching me once again that patience is a virtue.
Eon (Windrunner)
The fourth book in this series is pretty much on par with the first book and thus a return to form IMHO. It did have some minor flashbacks, but nothing like the the middle books (2 & 3). It was perfectly great all the way through and then the last few chapters just propelled it into awesome-land. Peter V Brett is definitely evolving as an author and I cannot wait to see what the last book in this series holds in store.

PS: Renna might be on the cover, but neither she nor Arlen feature much in
Lisa
Full Review at Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2015/0...

I found the Skull Throne to be an improved reading experience from what I had with the Daylight War. To be honest, I was not sure if I wanted to continue the series, but my enjoyment of the first two books convinced me to give the series another shot. Thankfully my key complaints in the Daylight War were not carried through to The Skull Throne.

First, while Arlen does still have a bit of an accent, I don’t think it was anyth
Andy
Disappointing rubbish. Much like previous books in this series, there were only a handful of pages devoted to the main plot, mostly at the start and end of the novel. The rest felt like filler, with unlikable characters experiencing brutality (for a first, no rape as backstory in this one), awkwardly agreeable conversations and weird amounts of wish-fulfillment, while the narrator explains everything that everyone's thinking, all of the time. (view spoiler) ...more
Matthew
Epic in scale and execution, Peter V. Brett returns with a bang with his latest instalment of the Demon Cycle series entitled The Skull Throne. As a reader and reviewer I had been looking forward to this book for a long time. The final pages of Brett's previous instalment (The Daylight War) left me, like everyone else, hanging, and I just wanted to know what happened to Arlen and Jardir! Well The Skull Throne answers both this question and more, as the demon infested nights grow more dangerous a ...more
Joel Pearson
I came into this book about as nervous as I could have been. Nervous about the direction it would go, nervous about how it would handle the already growing pile of loose ends, and nervous about whether it would address issues and be a bounce-back after what I felt was a much more flawed book in The Daylight War.

Overall, it handled all of these things rather well.

The Skull Throne picked up where The Daylight War left off - with Jardir and Arlen flying off a cliff to their alleged deaths. It jump
Mark
Brilliant book, non stop action, edge of seat tension, still havent a clue where the author is going with the plotlines for the 5th and final book. Its nice that most of the book is about the secondary characters, the author shows that these are important to any story in fact we cant have have great stories with these characters.

so I found it very enjoyable and very entertaining.
Loki
May 25, 2014 Loki rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Loki by: Everyone else
Mia
***NOTE: This is the fourth book in the Demon Cycle series. Read the first three books before beginning this one. This review necessarily contains details from preceding books. Even with this caveat, I shall withhold many details because Mr. Brett introduces several new pivotal characters, interactions and twists best discovered during your own reading, sans even the slightest hint.***

***THE STORY SO FAR. In THE DAYLIGHT WAR, Arlen and Jardir fought a duel straight off a cliff. Nobody knows thei
RuthAnn
This is an extremely tough review for me to write. I gave the book 3 stars, which on the Goodreads scale is an "I liked it," but there are definitely things I didn't like about this book. I have to start off talking about those because the things I didn't like made up about the first 65-70% of the book.

Near the beginning, we are flashed back to another character's past. We are forced to relive the childhood of Ashia, one of the Sharum'ting, Asome's Jiwah Ka and the Damajah's bodyguard. Ashia is
Norman
I don't like to give tepid or semi bad reviews on books that I read, as I realize how difficult it can be to get published. I don't want to add to a litany of reasons that could hurt or even hinder an author’s ability to make it in the dog eat dog world of publishing. That being said, if I could sum up my review in one word for the Skull Throne, it would be disappointing. I don't know about you, but I tend to prefer more Demons in my Demon Cycle books.

Authors please take note. Please. When you c
Hudson
I was going to give this a 3.5 because of two things:

1) It was a bit long and dragged a bit in the middle.

2) There was a lot more focus on the "middle east" type characters and the religion.....maybe I am biased towards the medieval European type but all that detail and structure kind of bored me.

Then the ending came in the grand tradition of GRRM and I changed my mind.

Solid four and can't wait for the next one!
Fred

Hmm, I am quite failing to see why so many people find this worth or 4-5 stars.

I've read all 4 books in the past week+, and since book 3 have found it to be getting more of a slog through the bog than an enjoyable read.

Yes, Peter's built many interesting characters, enough so that I continue to read the series. However, I am really tired and fed up, up to here with the following:

1. I'd bet that almost 50% of the series since book 3 is made up of nothing more than flashbacks, and what can be term
Mitch
I originally started reading these books for the story of Arlen Bales, what directions he would be forced to take in response to the challenges he faces, this book much like the last pretty much ignores him! 10% max

Instead I'm forced to wade through terrible characters I frankly don't want to care about all for the sake of world building. Which wouldn't be a problem if the story had some forward momentum, but it doesn't! Very little happens in this book, which is a shame.

Peter can write, his
John Gregory Wynn
Was lucky enough to read an ARC

After the cliffhanger from book 3 was glad to get this book started. Standard Peter V Brett( A good thing). Lots of action, suspense and surprises. This book is does not have a lot of Arlen, Renna and Jardir. Lots of Rojer and Leesha. Cant wait for Book 5!

PS I wont start tweeting to ask Peat the status of Book 5 for a couple more weeks
Katherine Coble
impatiently waiting 11 139 Apr 28, 2015 11:25AM
PVB - The Demon C...: The Skull Throne 70 86 Apr 26, 2015 06:51PM
PVB - The Demon C...: On chapter 6:A Man Is Nothing 3 22 Apr 20, 2015 10:51AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 4 Mar 26, 2015 10:02AM
  • The Autumn Republic (The Powder Mage, #3)
  • The Blood Mirror (Lightbringer, #4)
  • Sworn in Steel (Tales of the Kin, #2)
  • Queen of Fire (Raven's Shadow, #3)
  • The Widow's House (The Dagger and the Coin, #4)
  • The Last Mortal Bond (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #3)
  • The Scarlet Tides (Moontide Quartet #2)
  • Skybreaker (The Stormlight Archive, #3)
  • Fool's Quest  (The Fitz and The Fool, #2)
  • The Ministry of Necessity (Gentleman Bastard, #5)
  • Half a War (Shattered Sea, #3)
  • The Shadow Throne (The Shadow Campaigns, #2)
  • The Liar's Key (The Red Queen's War, #2)
  • Sword of the North (The Grim Company, #2)
  • Those Above (The Empty Throne, #1)
Raised on a steady diet of fantasy novels, comic books, and Dungeons & Dragons, Peter V. Brett (“Peat” to his friends) has been writing fantasy stories for as long as he can remember. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature and Art History from the University at Buffalo in 1995, and then spent over a decade in pharmaceutical publishing before returning to his bliss. He live ...more
More about Peter V. Brett...

Demon Cycle (6 books)
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
  • The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2)
  • The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3)
  • The Core (Demon Cycle, #5)
  • Tron z czaszek. Księga I (Demoniczny Cykl, #4.1)
The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1) The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2) The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3) The Great Bazaar and Other Stories (Demon Cycle, #1.6) Brayan's Gold (Demon Cycle, #1.5)

“Arther, what is first on the agenda?"
...
"The same as ever, Highness. Elections, land, and entitlements." Arther had learned to mask much of his distaste at that last word, but his lips still puckered as if it soured his tongue.
...
Entitlements. Leesha hated the word, too, but not for the same reason as Arther. It was a cold word, used by those with full bellies to bemoan feeding those without.”
2 likes
“You came to lands that were not yours, murdered thousands of men, raped their women, enslaved their children, and think your soul is clean because their holy book’s a little different from yours! You keep the demons from them, ay, but chickens on the chopping block don’t call the butcher Deliverer for keeping the fox at bay.” 2 likes