Start by marking “Travels with George: A Memoir Through the Italy of My Childhood” as Want to Read:
Travels with George:  A Memoir Through the Italy of My Childhood

Travels with George: A Memoir Through the Italy of My Childhood

In her travels with her young son, George, Olga Vannucci strolls and hikes through the landscapes of her Italian childhood, in five separate trips, visiting cherished people and places and describing them with joy and amusement. The writing is warm and refreshing, and the experiences vivid and touching -- you will want to come along. The author, born in Italy and living in ...more
Published April 6th 2012 by Ligurian Sea Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Travels with George, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Travels with George

Monika
Mar 04, 2013 Monika rated it really liked it
Travels With George: A Memoir Through the Italy of My Childhood by Olga Vannucci is broken up into five sections, one for each of her trips to Italy. Each section is then divided into chapters of varying lengths, like little vignettes. Some are several pages long, others only a few paragraphs. The book is written in present tense, as if the trips are happening in real time. It's a nice way of reading about her travels. She hits many of the major cities - Florence, Rome, Venice, and Milan, for ...more
Asli Fratarcangeli
Jul 13, 2013 Asli Fratarcangeli rated it really liked it
I liked reading about Olga's travels with her son. It's always calming to read about people reliving their childhoods, and seeing things that are both the same and different from the past to the present.

Olga is a very good writer. I enjoyed her simplistic manner of describing her surroundings, with her son, and the way she wrote about the people of Italy - both her family and the people whom she met while traveling with her son.

I found that when she wrote about her family, you could sense the de
Lisa
May 01, 2012 Lisa rated it it was ok
This book is more a series of small travel vignettes than a coherent story. The author relates her experiences traveling in her native Italy visiting family with her young son who doesn't speak Italian. I think the stories in the book show a lot of promise for being worked into a book with a more traditional structure, because the characters and the countryside are clearly so dear to the author. But as written I found the book tedious at times and didn't finish it.
Delfina
May 11, 2012 Delfina rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was charming and warm. It pulls you into the day-to-day, sometimes frustrating and sometimes uplifting, quality of traveling, with often funny and always sharply rendered anecdotes and family vignettes. It's also a travel diary that carries you with the author to the places she and her son visit. Highly recommended!
Ilana
Dec 01, 2014 Ilana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading it one would definitely want to start packing and book a long-term trip through Italy. It is more than simple travel writing, as it follows the journey of the author and her son back home in Italy, revisiting places from childhood and rediscovering people and their stories. It explores the sense of belonging and the different meanings we assign to the idea of 'home'.
Kathleen
May 23, 2012 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
What a great read, enjoyed every minute. Wanted to get on a plane to Italy right away. Very conversational - felt like the author was telling me the story directly. I would definitely recommend this if you've ever been to Italy or want to go and understand some of the culture before you arrive. The points of view from a child's perspective are priceless!

Maud Kalborg
May 25, 2012 Maud Kalborg rated it it was amazing
The book makes you want to go to Italy and experience the very same things the author portrays in her book. It is interesting, intelligent and fun. Would certainly recommend it.
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2012
Terri
Terri rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2012
Leslie Fisher
Leslie Fisher marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Kristine Buchholtz
Kristine Buchholtz marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Shannon Rochester
Shannon Rochester marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Tracie
Tracie marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Gail Cavanaugh
Gail Cavanaugh marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2015
Olga Vannucci was born in Italy, lived in Brazil, and came to the U.S. to attend college. She lives in rural New Jersey with her beloved son, George. She is working on her third book, Travels With Myself, which is turning out to be a book about getting past reliving your childhood, and starting instead to look to the future.
More about Olga Vannucci...