Start by marking “Fat Chances” as Want to Read:
Fat Chances

Fat Chances

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Annie Powers is eighteen and overweight. When her twin sister, Molly talks her into going to a Zumba class, all Annie expected was a lot of sweat and sore muscles. But when she laid eyes on the very handsome and muscular Zumba instructor, Cory Shields, not only did he leave her gasping for breath from the exercises, but also from their kiss.

Dazed and confused, Annie strugg
Published June 1st 2012 by Write More Publications (first published May 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fat Chances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fat Chances

A Shade of Vampire by Bella ForrestThe Wronged Sons by John MarrsStarshine by G.S. JennsenTell Me You Want Me by Amelia JamesFarsighted by Emlyn Chand
Best of Little-Known Authors
113th out of 3,770 books — 3,551 voters
Star by Theresa OliverCambria by Theresa OliverFat Chances by J.S. WilsoncroftRemembering Zane by J.S. WilsoncroftClockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
Best Books of 2011-12
3rd out of 86 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Becca
Annie is about to give up on life. She wants nothing more than to finish her senior year and run from town. She has had it with the perfect bodies, the mindless chatter and the escapades of her "chatty" twin sister. All she sees is a fat girl in the mirror, surrounded by thousands of skinny people. No one could have worse self esteem than Annie. (Well OK, I did in high school and still fall prey to it now.) She has to learn to love herself before she can learn to love anyone else.

Enter Cory the
Mandy (I read Indie) Anderson
Annie is the girl at her school that gets called disgusting names by her classmates thanks to being overweight. She hates to exercise and has tried all the diets out there to no avail. She has come to terms with being overweight and would just like to finish her remaining school year and leave town to go live with her aunt. She has had it with all the 'skinny' people in her small town and just wants to leave it all behind. That is until she meets Cory...breathtakingly, beautiful Cory.

Molly, Ann
Dawn Jayne
Fat Chances is a sweet Young Adult romance that I enjoyed from beginning to end. We have Annie, an overweight high-school senior that only wants to graduate and get as far away as possible from the school where she has been tormented for years.

J.S. Wilsoncroft has a knack for writing very realistic and believable characters. There is a great line toward the beginning in which Annie is talking about escaping and getting into the 'real world' where she'd be with people that had their own problems
Shannon
Fat Chances is a difficult book for me to rate. I'm settling on a generous 3-stars because "hot-guy-falls-hard-for-the-sad-fat-girl" is my most favorite guilty-pleasure read ever. I really get off on the self esteem issues and the heroine disbelieving that hottie-hero could be attracted to her. I LOVE IT.

BUT... this book was a little thin on plot and realism. Complete instant-love for no reason whatsoever. The main characters were young (I don't like reading about high school aged kids, which is
Fiona - Fiona's Book Reviews
Oh my goodness, I've just finished this and I have a huge smile on my face.
I LOVED this story!

I can totally empathise with the main character, Annie, as she struggles with her feelings. She is an overweight teenager who has low self esteem. She can't believe that anyone would want to be her friend, never mind anything more.

In steps Cory, a young Zumba teacher at the local gym who has all the ladies ogling him as he takes the classes.

But Cory only has eyes for one young lady - Annie.

Annie's self
Melissa
Rating: 3 stars ***

Annie an overweight senior in high school, deals with her self esteem, bullying, thinking she is fat and looks ugly. Everyday struggles she learns to live with. Until one day , one Zumba class and one hot instructor named Cory, it all changes for her. Cory is amazed by her beauty, inside and out. Cory shows Annie she is worthy of love and takes her on a journey to self discovery. I wont give away the whole story as always, that is for you, the reader to discover.

This book pro
Donna Porter
I really enjoyed this story. It's about twins, Annie and her sister Molly. They are not identical twins. Molly is taller and thinner than Annie who is around five foot and a size 18. Annie feels fat and unlovable. Her sister wants her to go to a zumba class at a local gym after school. They are 18 and seniors in high school. Molly keeps telling Annie that the instructor named, Cory, is HOT. They wind up making a bet about exercising and Annie gives in. She has a horrible experience during the fi ...more
Ana
Aug 07, 2014 Ana added it

Reviewed for InD'Tale magazine. The review can be found here.
Jane
3.5*

Overweight teenager Annie has her life turned up side down when her twin sister Molly drags her along to Zumba class to help her lose weight. She can’t believe it when the hunky instructor, Cory starts to show an interest in her, and she repeatedly finds herself making clumsy mistakes which only make him notice her more.

‘Fat chances’ gives us an insight into the feelings of an overweight girl, she constantly puts herself down and thinks no-one could possibly find her attractive. Her negativi
SheReadsALot
"Fat Chances" is an easy read about a insecure plus sized eighteen year old who falls for her sister's Zumba instructor, Cory. I finished this story in mere hours. It is nice to see more authors offering plus-sized heroines for romance readers. But this story fell short for me because a lot of authors emphasize the insecurities of being plus sized but never add any growth or depth to the female leads making them appear weak and stupid. This was once again the case in "Fat Chances".

PROS:

.The auth
Dana
Annie is an overweight young woman with low self confidence, and an invisible armor which doesn't allow her to get close to many people. When Corey a handsome and fit Zumba instructor shows interest in her, it is beyond Annie's comprehension, and she fights against his pursuit. Luckily for her, Corey doesn't give up easy. It is a struggle but eventually Annie's armor weakens, and she starts to believe in Corey. But it is only after she realizes she has to love herself that she can truly give her ...more
Book Junkies
Annie is an overweight 18 year old. Her sister begs her to go to the zumba class with her. Annie meets the hot new instructor.

Every girl in her class wants him, but Cory only has eyes for Annie. Can Annie believe that Cory likes her for her?

The story was short and sweet. The characters were well written and cute. This story has an amazing message for readers.
Jessica Figueroa
Summery:
Annie is an over weight insecure 18 year old who constantly puts herself down as well as listening to others confirm what she thinks about herself. One day her sister convinces her to go to a zumba class to see the instructor that her sister pretty much has the hotts for and reluctantly Annie goes. Annie soon realizes she has caught the eye of the instructor and finds it hard to be believe that he would want to be with her instead of some skinny girl.

My take:
I had received this book free
Beverly
Excellent book! It's not about anything supernatural or make believe. It's the kind of story you enjoy reading. It's a story you could identify with easily because either you know someone who struggled with her weight or maybe you had this problem. There's always a point in our lives when we are not happy with our body. FAT CHANCES give us a lesson. THE BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER! Great book Jamie!!!!!

Book read on 5/26/2012

photo tumblr_mu9w2boZT11rz1wnio1_250_zps7ec81237.gif
Toni Sinns
I'm not sure if it was due to the fact I connected to the character on a personal level, or if it was because I wish my husband was like Corey. I would love to be loved on that level. It was the type of thing that some people dream about and here it was in reality. I could not put this book down. I couldn't put the book down until the end and then I wanted more!!!

This spoke to me. Being a large girl myself I knew all the humiliation and worries and fear that Annie feels. I could put myself in h
Carra
My rating is more like a 1.5, maybe 1.75. The synopsis made it seem like this story would be quite promising, and while I liked the overall idea presented in the storyline, there were too many things that just were in the negative column for me. Here's those things:

-The immediate, insta-love Cory showed for Annie. It just seemed too unreal, especially given the circumstances under which they met.
-Annie's constant negative, put-down attitude toward herself. This to me was a total turnoff to this
Angela Ruble Scott
Fat Chances by J. S. Wilsoncroft is about an 18 year old, overweight, and insecure young girl named Annie. Annie and her Twin Sister Molly have a struggling relationship. Molly begs Annie to go to Zumba with her because there is a hot new Instructor named Cory that everyone likes to drool over. Will Annie be able to accept that not everyone sees her the way she sees herself? Will Cory be the man to bring her out of her insecurity rut? Will she throw what Cory is offering back in his face?

I thoug
Jeanine Walsh palinkas
Fell in love and related from the very first paragraph!!! Everyone should read this book, but especially the late bloomers! Annie is about as honest a teen/adult as you'll get. Great story.
Amy
I read this book hoping to love it. But I was actually shocked at it. Anne is a annoying brat who is so self centered, she could fix herself up if she really tried. But she makes so many excuses. All I read was IM FAT, wah wah wah Im fat. I think I would have liked to hear Cory say more about why he liked her, in real life Im sure a guy would say heck with this after all the stuff she put him through. I think they should have got to know each other more before the first kiss. Maybe if Molly had ...more
Melissa Simmons
Fat Chances is a short, fast read by J.S. Wilsoncroft. I was approached by the author for a review and the synopsis caught my interest. Annie, the main character is the narrator of the story. I have to say I tried hard to like Annie. However, she spent so much time feeling sorry for herself and being negative that it was nearly impossible. You feel sorry for her, yes, but you also want to shake her to get her head straight.

I am a big girl. No doubt about it, I always have been. However, I learn
Susan
Annie is an overweight 18 year old girl with a twin sister who is horrible to her. When her twin makes her go to a new Zumba exercise class with her to see the "hot" instructor; Annie is embarrassed by her body. When the instructor, Cory comes on to her, she thinks he is just playing games with the "fat" girl and being mean.

Annie is a character with low self-esteem and body image issues like many teens and young women in this world. Her reactions and fears are normal for her situation, and I fou
Deepika
I got this book in GR giveaway...

I was very exited to read this book... But my expectations didn't get fully fulfilled.

The cover of the book isn't nice. The picture in the back is much better.

It is a very quick read... I completed it in a really less time. I really like that!!

This book is about the overweight problem of Annie... Many people have experienced it .. Me too. Not so much but little, yes.
I like the concept and the topic. All the emotions of Annie and Cory were understandable. Annie's
Amanda
2.5 Stars

Fat Chances follows the story of Annie, an overweight teenager, who meets hot Zumba instructor, Cory, sending her life into chaos with her family, feelings, and of course, Cory. Annie finds it difficult to understand that the highly sought after instructor could find her attractive and want to be with her when he could have any skinny girl he wants. She’s unsure of her feelings and his intentions, therefore she tries to stay away from him.

J.S. Wilsoncrof is a very talented writer. Her w
Rebecca Emin
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

This book is a quick read and features two likeable characters, Annie and Cory. The main issue in the back is Annie's body image and weight, which is covered in detail, and the worry and angst that this sort of issue creates in the mind of a girl is written with insight.

Cory is a gorgeous character: good looking, kind, respectful.

Whilst I read the book with interest and enjoyed the author's writing style, I have to admit I did think this book would have wo
Bex 'n' Books
Pamela Reid
I wasn't sure what I was going to think of this book just from its title. It's true what the old saying says "Never Judge a Book by its Cover" I've just finished this book and straight off It made me laugh.

This book is about a Senior in high school who is overweight (like me) and she gets depressed about her weight. Her twin sister talks her into going to Zumba class with her and starts ranting on about the instructor. When Annie sets eyes on Cory (The Instructor) she gets the most intense feel
Queenberly
Final feeling: strong mix of positive and negative

Pros: I love how Annie found a man who loved her for who she was regardless her looks. Cons: she lost 18 pounds by anorexia and bulimia. The only meal she ate in the last half of the story was McDonald's and she vomited twice. A major negative in what could have been an inspiring story.
Jeanie V.
I didn't get it. As much as I wanted to believe in the story, I just couldn't! Maybe if the story was longer??? For instance, how could hot zumba instructor Cory (who is older and more experienced, by the way) fall so deeply and quickly in love with 18 year old high school student Annie in just one meeting? Sure, I believe in love and first sight and maybe he really did just fall in love at first sight with her, but I wish there was just something more, you know because she didn't seem very attr ...more
Amanda
This is a great story by J.L. Wilsoncroft. It's a story about loving who you are as a person. Annie and Cory are such a great couple. Annie reminds me of myself so with everything.
Teresa
This was a sweet read. Annie battles low self-esteem because of her weight and doesn't think she is good enough for Cory the hot Zumba instructor. But, Annie learns that who she is is much better than how she looks.
  • Double Plush Velvet (Velvet, #1)
  • Captive Curve
  • Summer Nights
  • Learning Curve (BBW Romance)
  • Curves by Design (Big Girls And Bad Boys, #3)
  • Stud Muffin Wanted
  • Bad Girl Lessons (Gresham County, #1)
  • Tony's Haven (Sherman Family Series, #2)
  • Wrapped Around Your Finger (Bound to You, #1)
  • Cooking Up Trouble
  • Unmasking Kelly (Courage Brothers of Texas, #Prequel)
Remembering Zane 13 Tales of the Paranormal The Unfaithful Widow My Haunting Love Lily Gets Lost