Start by marking “The Universe Doesn't Give a Flying Fuck About You” as Want to Read:
The Universe Doesn't Give a Flying Fuck About You

The Universe Doesn't Give a Flying Fuck About You

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  4,196 Ratings  ·  390 Reviews
If you walk around every day on eggshells, nervous about making a mistake or looking stupid, then you should read this.

If you have a "next big thing" in mind you want to do because you know it will be awesome (starting the business, making the big move, launching the nonprofit, writing the book) but are afraid of doing what it would take to make that thing happen, then yo
Published January 14th 2014 (first published June 22nd 2012)

Carol.
Aug 11, 2016 Carol. rated it did not like it

April 13, 8 pm

Interesting title. It seems to be free, and I'm open to a new perspective. I'll try it.

April 13, 9 pm
Okay, I get it. He's reading a bedtime story to his kid and realizes the great big universe doesn't care what each of us as individuals do. We should see that as freeing, except the way he says it is kind of harsh.

April 13, 9:15 pm
Clarification: caustic, not harsh.

April 13, 9:30 pm
This has got to be a dude playing the game on the 'easy' setting. I'm a woman. It's not like I need the
Khanh (the Grinch)
Feb 22, 2014 Khanh (the Grinch) marked it as to-read
This is probably the best book title I've ever seen in my life.
Anna
Jun 11, 2013 Anna rated it it was amazing
In following with my 2013 reading challenge
* self-help in any capacity
* try something new: read a male author

boom we have a winner and its my signature expression!!!

I love the bottom line message :

Stop worrying so much about what others think and start being who you're supposed to be. It's time to do some epic shit
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
description

Everything dies. Everything. You were born with a terminal disease, just like everything else that has ever existed. You, your lamp, the sun, and the Bee Gees all have that in common.
This, like the universe's apathy, is neither good nor bad. It is simply a fact.

The Universe Doesn't Give a Flying Fuck About You is a short (only 13 pages according to GR) and funny story. It is also concise. There are no useless words or metaphors. And the title sums up the book pretty good.

Do yourself a favor, and
✟ℜoxanne✟(Death by ßook Avalanche)
4 Stars

My first reaction after finishing this short ebook?

Duuuuuuuude!

This made me feel so small...

The truth being that the Universe doesn't give a fuck about you! Whether you live or die, whether you're happy or sad, or whether you're at peace or war.
If you're like me and you're afraid to take chances because you have a fear of failure or you're afraid of what other people may think then you need to read this...it may be the kick in the pants that you need.

It was just too short...I wanted more
Sheila
Aug 08, 2013 Sheila rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, short-story
This short book was free on kindle, and since the title caught my eye I downloaded it to see what else it said. I would recommend this book (since it is such a quick read) to anyone who is feeling down about themselves. Some of the author's advice from the book:

"Maybe there's a grand conductor, and maybe there's not. I do happen to believe in God, or the Spirit of Life, or the Force for all I know, but regardless of belief or disbelief, one thing I know for certain is that no matter WHAT or WHO
Joe Barlow
Feb 20, 2014 Joe Barlow rated it it was amazing
This is a powerful but ultra-short (13 page) manifesto from Johnny B. Truant, the outspoken and hilarious author of the FAT VAMPIRE series, and co-author of UNICORN WESTERN and THE BEAM, among many others. It's essentially a wake-up call for creative types, reminding us that life is a finite resource, and that every moment we waste is a moment we'll never get back.

It's a free download from most eBook retailers, and it's required reading for anyone who claims to have a goal (writing a novel, lea
Rachel
Apr 09, 2014 Rachel rated it did not like it
I got this short onto my kindle because I was intrigued by the title, however I feel it was a complete waste of the five minutes it took me to read it. Rather than being "self help" it was more like the ramblings of a young bloke in a pub after a couple of pints when he thinks his audience is more interested than they really are in what he has to say. The gist of it is that the Universe is big, and you are small, so do what makes you happy. Some reviews have stated that it has given them a kick ...more
Chiara
Oct 17, 2015 Chiara rated it did not like it
To be honest I was attracted to this book because of the brilliant tittle, but i was disappointed by its content. It is a cliché self-help book telling you to do something with your life, lets just say there's a reason why it's free.
Shikha Pal
May 29, 2016 Shikha Pal rated it it was ok
Title: Quite catchy!
Content : Nothing new.

It's more of an essay/blog post than a book. It's to the point, and has made a good attempt at being motivational and humorous at the same time. However, it's nothing of the slap-on-your-face sorts.

"This is game time, champ. You're in. You're in, playing, right now, and the clock is ticking."

Key points:
1) Nobody cares about you. You're merely a tiny speck in this vast universe.
2) The only one who should care is you!
3) The clock is ticking. Do epic $h
Velvetink
Apr 06, 2015 Velvetink rated it it was amazing
kindle. Puts things in perspective. Life is short, we are tiny, just grab hold of your life and do epic shit.
Karl Wiggins
Jan 10, 2015 Karl Wiggins rated it it was amazing
Should be mandatory reading for teenagers the world over.

Actually ‘The Universe ….’ should be mandatory reading for everyone.

I was blown away by this book. Move over Tony Robbins, Deepak Chopra, Dale Carnegie, Ziggy Ziglar, Wayne Dyer, Stephen Covey, Mark Victor Hansen and the rest. Johnny Truant is the new generation.

This is a very short book – I think I finished it in 18 minutes – but I’ve immediately insisted my son read it. The universe actually couldn’t give a flying f*ck about you. You’re
Cole
Aug 08, 2014 Cole rated it really liked it
I was on my bike pedaling home from work today lost in thought, hating my job and feeling miserable about the recent shitty circumstances in my life when the next thing I know a car slams into me and I'm somersaulting through the air (which apparently was awesome according to the witnesses). If you're asking yourself, what happened next, let me tell you....I sat up, looked at the mangled bike and walked off the road.

So here I am several hours later hurting like hell and looking around on Goodre
Nate Solberg
Oct 01, 2012 Nate Solberg rated it really liked it
Brash and bold, makes me think of a punk version of the desiderata. For whatever reason this was something I needed to read, and Amazon provided it for free. I enjoyed it, both the brevity and the carefree use of the foul language. There are times when I think that's perfectly appropriate, and today it all seemed to work. I agree with the message of this short work, and I'll likely come back to it from time to time. There truly is a certain genius in daring to be bold. Fun stuff!
Adrian
This book doesn't say anything that you probably never heard before or haven't thought of by yourself already, however it's short and to the point. It doesn't beat around the bush and tells you exactly what you need to hear. Plus, the tone is quite appropriate, in a flashy-loudmouth-mentor kinda way.

If you ever need some motivation, this quick (and free!) read is worth it.
Kerrin Proctor
Dec 14, 2013 Kerrin Proctor rated it it was amazing
Such a quirky book yet has such a meaningful message. Make the most of life because you're only here for an insignificant amount of time. The universe doesn't care about you, but you should care about you. Everyone should read this book. It definitely puts things in perspective.
⚜Angela⚜
Dec 13, 2015 ⚜Angela⚜ rated it really liked it
Well said and to the point.
The universe doesn't give a shit about you, so do what you want, stop worrying.
In theory it makes sense and It's a great idea, but it's easier said than done.
Still it's a short, great message to humanity.

Aarti Patel
Jul 04, 2016 Aarti Patel rated it did not like it
Shelves: self-help
Like a lot of people, I started this book because of the title. What I found inside was a problem being answered with a solution that just perpetuates the problem. Problem: we should all realize that we aren't immortal and that the universe doesn't care about our survival. Solution: we need to live in the NOW and just be "epic" every day (which is the talk of immortality). Trying to be epic each and every moment is something we're already encouraged to be by media, culture, and society. It's not ...more
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
Oct 27, 2014 Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum rated it really liked it
The Universe Doesn't Give A Flying Fuck About You by Johnny B. Truant is a FREE e-book, currently available in the Kindle store or on iBooks.

It's a motivational kick in the pants for those who need a reminder that time is short, and to go out and get what you want, instead of being crippled by doubt, fear or lack of motivation.

Truant has a great sense of humour and no nonsense attitude and as the title might suggest, his work includes some swearing, but if this doesn't bother you, you'll enjoy g
Stephanie
Aug 01, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: realistic people, people who sometimes need a kick in the butt to get them off their lazy ass.
*You can get this book, and the other books of the series for free on Amazon.**
This is a short book, but it makes sure you get the point; The universe doesn't give a flying fuck about you. After reading this book my attitude had changed. All I could think (and you will probably too) was: "I need to get off my lazy ass and do something epic. Life is so goddamn short, it practically doesn't exist in the timespan of the universe. So if I die, nothing, absolutely nothing "bigger than me" (if you ge
Greg
Mar 15, 2015 Greg rated it liked it
Shelves: humour, essays
I broadly agree with the author's premise that it is up to every individual to make their own lives meaningful to themselves and to those around them; to do, as the author says, 'epic shit'. Also, that we shouldn't wait for permission to be 'epic'!

The author states in the text that he is aged 35 and then comments a page later about it being too late to do things we wished we'd done in the past:

A simple example for me is skateboarding. I'd have loved to do that. And sure, adults can learn to skat
J
Aug 11, 2015 J rated it it was amazing
Short and sweet... and free

Finding this book on Amazon when I was searching for 'Motivational interviewing,' turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Johnny B. Truant has a lot to say with very few words. In fact, this is more of a essay. Don't let the title put you off, because it's message is profound. Oh, and I forgot to mention that it is free if you read it on your kindle. I'll be reading his other 3 publications in this series as well. Thanks Johnny, you are epic.
Nogueira
Jun 24, 2016 Nogueira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, ebooks
Forget all the mindfulness crap that fills the library shelves this days... this is the only motivational reading you'll need to stand up and live your life! A dozen pages that you read in a few minutes and that may well change the way you face life, the universe and everything (that of course we know equals 42!). It's written almost like a outburst of a friend that's trying to help you, because sometimes, someone cares about that beetle in Times Square and picks it up!

I'm over forty now and spe
Hakim
May 17, 2014 Hakim rated it it was ok
Shelves: meeeeh
I tend not to bother paying attention to the free ebook lists on Amazon but a random sequence of events led me to this book. The title being what it is, I had to find out what the hell it was about.
And this is the story of how I was tricked into reading my first self-help book. Gee, thanks, Universe!
The author makes a couple of good points; in the same vein as Carl Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot" philosophy, Johnny B. Truant argues that the Universe being mind-bogglingly vast, our pathetic little lives
Dri Polacco
Jun 06, 2014 Dri Polacco rated it really liked it
Shawn Ingram
May 05, 2013 Shawn Ingram rated it really liked it
Shelves: existentialism

Not really a book, more a medium length essay this book is inspirational and brutally honest. I enjoyed reading it and will read it again some day.
J K
Jun 20, 2014 J K rated it liked it
Realistic and uncompromising. A call to arms! Wel, to keyboards anyway....get writing/taking over the world.....
Ismael Schonhorst
Jul 07, 2013 Ismael Schonhorst rated it it was amazing
Free on Amazon. Fast at reading. Bold, wise and hilarious.
Princess Godoy
ONE OF THE BEST TITLE EVER!
  • How to be Happy (No Fairy Dust or Moonbeams Required)
  • Windows 8 for Dummies
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 4 (Yesterday's Gone, #4)
  • Do No Harm: The People Who Amputate Their Perfectly Healthy Limbs, and the Doctors Who Help Them
  • The Man Who Came Too Much
  • Secrets of True Happiness
  • A-Babies Vs X-Babies #1
  • Seduction of the Innocent: The Influence of Comic Books on Today's Youth
  • Tales of the Revolution:  True Stories of People who are Poking the Box and Making a Difference
  • Conversation: How Talk Can Change Our Lives
  • Life Hacks
  • Free Kindle Books
  • Butterflies Are Free To Fly
  • Not Microwave Safe (A Halloween Story)
  • Baby Talk (Book 1)
  • Women and Economics
  • Everything I Know
  • Eugenics and Other Evils: An Argument Against the Scientifically Organized State
Johnny B. Truant is an author, blogger, and podcaster who, like the Ramones, was long denied induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame despite having a large cult following. He makes his online home at JohnnyBTruant.com and is the author of the Unicorn Western series, the Fat Vampire series, The Bialy Pimps, and a handful of other properties and growing every week.

You can connect with Johnny o
More about Johnny B. Truant...

“Stop being a pussy and go do something amazing.” 17 likes
“Realize that time will never stop. NEVER. You will never be younger again. It's like being on a train with no stops that's always leading you father and farther from home... or closer to home, depending on how you look at it. You can never get off the train. You can never board a train going the opposite direction. If you missed a stop, tough shit. If there was this great thing even just two miles back that you decided not to do, you can't change your mind and go do it. That place is gone forever.” 12 likes