Start by marking “Griffin's Daughter (Griffin's Daughter Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Griffin's Daughter (Griffin's Daughter Trilogy, #1)

Griffin's Daughter (Griffin's Daughter Trilogy #1)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  660 ratings  ·  84 reviews
Born between two cultures, a young woman searches for acceptance. An ancient evil searches for her.

Published October 17th 2012 by Norton Place Publishing (first published January 29th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Griffin's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Griffin's Daughter

The Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Way of Shadows by Brent WeeksAmerican Gods by Neil GaimanNeverwhere by Neil GaimanStardust by Neil Gaiman
Fantasy Books by Goodreads Authors
23rd out of 248 books — 351 voters
Blood Song by Anthony  RyanThe Emperor's Edge by Lindsay BurokerThe Orb of Truth by Brae WyckoffThe Silver Sphere by Michael DadichBlood and Betrayal by Lindsay Buroker
Best Indie Fantasy Books
51st out of 613 books — 1,177 voters

More lists with this book...

Steven
This is the sort of book that reminds me why I hate series so much. It's not that the book was poorly written. It wasn't. It's not that the characters are terrible. They weren't. It's simply that until you get to the last book you get the feeling that you're spinning your mental wheels waiting for things to happen. This book was one of the worst for that.

The story is simple enough. The book opens with a group of magicians performing a ritual to strip am evil, magical king of his power. Without c
bookwormmama
Apr 16, 2015 bookwormmama marked it as lost-interest-or-do-not-bother
DNF 2%
No quotation marks for spoken dialog???
Free Kindle download
Mary Ann
When you are what people refer to as a 'half breed' it is sometimes difficult to find acceptance with either group, but at least one group does treat the heroine much better than her mother's brother does. A happy ending doesn't bode well for the future though.
Wyrdness
I'm really of the opinion this is a 2.5 star book for me, but I'm rounding it up to 3 because there's nothing inherently wrong with it.

I liked the start of this book far more than I did where it ended up. At the beginning we were experiencing Jelena's daily life as a half-elf outcast, shunned and given menial kitchen duties despite being the niece to the duke. It was a hard life, but she had her foster mother and she'd grown accustomed to not fitting in even if she didn't enjoy it.

After she esc
Angie
I really enjoyed this story about Jelena, a half-human, half-elven girl who has lived her life as a social outcast. She leaves her home to find her elven father. She finds acceptance in an elven community and love with the lord's son. She also discovers she holds within herself a strong source of magic that is key to the elven community. I really enjoyed the story but it is just book one in a trilogy, so I have to buy them soon, since it ended on a cliffhanger.
Jen
This book was amazing. I loved every minute of it and I will feel loss until I can read books 2 and 3. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves to read!!!
Diana
Surprising bad. Written like a trashy romance novel, except with a fantasy plot. Beside the prologue, the main female character was too weak or sentimental.
Andy
A good solid fantasy novell. The audiobook too is good in quality.

Nothing more to add to previous reviewers
Catherine Cruzan
Can't wait to find out what happens next in the second of the three book series!
JM
So far, so good! =]
Alicia
Mar 25, 2012 Alicia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Born between two cultures,a young woman searches for acceptance. An ancient evil searches for her.
A young girl lives as a social outcast due to her mixed human and elven blood. To escape an arranged marriage, Jelena flees into the unknown on a quest to find her elven father. Her journey takes her on an unexpected adventure of magic, danger, and most startling of all - true love.
Dawn
Light reading. Not bad, just not great!
Emily
I read this book free on my iphone, mostly late at night under the covers.

It's an intriguing story of a young half human/half elf girl - a story I would likely never read if not free on my phone. I was really getting into it when I get to the last page only to find out it's a cliff hanger leading into book two of the trilogy; which I was somehow not prepared for...
John
Jan 15, 2012 John is currently reading it
Intresting book. A+
Erin
This story is definitely a page turner (well, it would be if I hadn't read it on my kindle) and didn't have the annoying grammatical and formatting problems I so often run across with free/cheap kindle downloads. I cared about the characters and what happened to them and did not want to stop reading. Keep in mind this book gets a little PG-13 at times so keep that in mind when you select it for yourself or gift it to someone else.

If you liked this book you should read Legon Awakening by Nichola
Kate Copeseeley
Wasn't for me.
Chris Moody
I originally started reading this book as I helped the author produce the podiobook version of it. I must say this was more of a love story than I was really wanting to read, and had the author not been a friend and I was helping her produce the story I don't think I would have finished it.

However on its own it was a good book based on its own merit.
Angela Oliver
For some reason, this has been labelled "paranormal". It's not - it's fantasy. Set in a medieval style kingdom, where elves and humans share a border and neither thinks too fondly of the other. Jelena is the product of an unlikely allegiance between elf and human - neither one nor the other, she is reviled by the humans and her lowly position eventually forces her to run away and seek her elven heritage.

The elves were not entirely convincing as a species - they felt more like another race of hum
Turtles
I can't bear to finish this... while the writing style is solid, the cliche is too much to bear. Innumerable fantasy books have been with maltreated girl who runs away to another place, she fits in there and gains a love interest and magic powers. The romance was particularly vapid with stolen thoughts about each others beauty. There were plenty of story threads remaining at my stopping point, so I assume the book may flesh out with more plot and into the other 2 volumes. I just can't finish it.
Maddy Barone
Interesting enough that i'll pick up the next in the series.
Kelly Aley
This review has a spoiler near the end of it. I really liked this book. I read the YA version which she edited for sexual content. That was great and I wish more authors would do that (or just make them all age appropriate in the first place.) I will definitely read the next books. I only gave it three stars because there was no finesse in the ways the characters solved problems. For instance, the male fights with his father. First, he runs away and returns with little punishment and then he act ...more
Holly
This was a compelling fun read that I know young girl's would LOVE.... But no, I cannot recommend it because it has unnecessary scenes that spoil it. Too bad. Otherwise it would get a higher rating. A young 1/2 blood (elf and human) is not accepted by either race and goes on a search for acceptance and family. She finds love in a hunky elf man. Pretty cool escape lit.
M-J
not my type of book
Carole Meeter
Loved this story ! I am not really into fantasy too much but this one swept me into the world of it and I could not put it down. Started the second book of the trilogy tonight :)
Kati
See what I mean about the genre getting trashy? The book was written on the level of young adult fiction, and had several nearly explicit sex scenes in it. Um, thanks Leslie for the cheap whore bit, too bad I can't wash my brain with soap after that one. I have a request for authors: either write like an adult, or keep smut out of teenage romance novels. Sheesh.

Stepping off my soapbox - the plot is good. I completely understand a previous reviewer when she said this book was the epitome of 'alm
Bonnigene Cloud
I really enjoyed reading this book because of it's female main character and the fantasy that kept you on verge of a real world. I really enjoyed that Jelena seemed to be just like so many women feel in daily life, yet she struggled with her mixed blood and heritage. Jelena stuggles to find herself and understand her human and elfin parantage.

The book's description of the descrimination between elfin and human echos the descrimination within our own history against so many groups. It also echos
Bonnigene Cloud

Andrea L
have to read the whole series now
Margaret Metz
This is one of the best books I've read of this genre. The characters are genuine and made me want to pull for them. I fell in love with them and wanted to know more and more about them. The story was interesting and exciting - it grabbed me from the start and kept me flipping pages. My only real complaint was that I would be totally immersed in this wonderful fantasy world with a historical/middle ages feel and suddenly the characters (elf and human) would start using very contemporary curse wo ...more
Leslie
I'd give this 3.5 stars if that were an option. It's a very good first effort, and I'm anxious to read the second book. The writing is compelling and fluid, and the story, while not totally original, is fresh enough to make the book fun. I got this as a freebie on Amazon Kindle, and I'm glad I decided to give it a try. A little more sex than I normally read, but it's easy to see it coming and skip over a page or two.
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Forgotten Soul (Soul Searchers, #1)
  • Legon Awakening (Legon, #1)
  • Unicorn Bait
  • The Arrival (BirthRight Trilogy, #1)
  • Shatter (The Children of Man, #1)
  • Spirit Thorn (A Tale of Parallel Worlds)
  • Sasha (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #1)
  • The Gods of Dream
  • The Gateway (Harbinger of Doom, novella)
  • The Black God’s War: A Novella Introducing a new Epic Fantasy
  • To Play the Lady
  • Warriors of the Cross (Warrior, #1)
  • The Pocket Watch (The Trinity Saga, #1)
  • The Fox
  • Elfhunter (Tales of Alterra, the World That Is)
  • Something Wild (Darklands, #3)
  • Invisible Justice (Justice, #1)
  • Sanctum's Breach (Delver Magic, #1)
Ever since I can remember, I've been a storyteller. Characters constantly walk onto the stage of my mind, introduce themselves, and talk to me about their lives. I also see snippets of scenes, hear pieces of dialogue, even smell particular scents--it's like watching chunks of wild, amazing movies play in my head. Some of those bits eventually begin making sense, and that's when I start the writing ...more
More about Leslie Ann Moore...

Griffin's Daughter Trilogy (3 books)
  • Griffin's Shadow (Griffin's Daughter Trilogy, #2)
  • Griffin's Destiny (Griffin's Daughter Trilogy, #3)
Griffin's Shadow (Griffin's Daughter Trilogy, #2) Griffin's Destiny (Griffin's Daughter Trilogy, #3) Tangle of Fates