Start by marking “Trafficking, A Memoir of an Undercover Game Warden” as Want to Read:
Read Excerpt

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This compelling nonfiction work takes the reader into a convoluted eight month infiltration of a group of squalid criminals trafficking in wildlife by two undercover game wardens. Latham doesn’t hold back on the language in this book nor does he downplay the vile acts that occurred against both the human and wildlife victims in this twisted tale. If you think poachers are ...more
Published April 16th 2012 by Tony H. Latham

Win a Copy of This Book

AUTOGRAPHED COPY

CNN's "Must Read List" for wildlife trafficking

"A great book that gives the reader a clear sense of what it would be like to go underc…more
    Giveaway dates: May 30 - Jun 10, 2015
    1 copy available, 191 people requesting
    Countries available: US
    read on goodreads
  • Friend Reviews

Be the first to ask a question about Trafficking, A Memoir of an Undercover Game Warden

Steph
    If you love wildlife then "Trafficking" will be an eye-opening read for you. It's a true story about a tough, and often ugly, job to protect the wildlife we cherish. We are so fortunate to have men, like Tony, and women who are willing to endure low pay, long hours and danger because they too love wildlife. You won't take the presence of wildlife for granted after reading this book.
    Marco
    I have never known a lot about the subject of wildlife (except for some fishing) so I found
    this subject to be fascinating. There are not a lot of books out there addressing this so it was definitely an eye opener. It was well written and read like a fast paced thriller with interesting subjects. Highly recommend!
    C.
    Jun 06, 2012 C. marked it as to-read
    I am disappointed. Was looking forward to reading this book.
    awesomatik.com

Tony Latham verbrachte 22 Jahre seines Lebens damit Wilddiebe zu verfolgen. Mal in und mal ohne Uniform. In "Trafficking" rekonstruiert er seinen wichtigsten Fall als Undercover Jagdaufseher.

Zugegeben, die Übersetzung "Jagdaufseher" für "Game Warden" klingt auf deutsch nicht gerade "sexy". Und hierzulande dürfte der Job auch nicht ganz so spannend sein.
    Im Wilden Westen dagegen, fährt der Jagdaufseher mit Shotgun und Pickuptruck durch die dichte Wildnis, während sein Hund auf der Ladefläche die
    Tony Latham
    Aug 21, 2012 Tony Latham rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
    I highly recommend this book! I had a hard time putting it down because it kept my interest from the first page through the last page. If you think all game wardens do is write citations, this book will really open your eyes. I came away from it with a new found appreciation of the dangerous work game wardens do while working undercover to protect our wildlife. Mr. Latham does an excellent job in describing the unsavory criminals and their operations and the great lengths to which he and his par ...more
    Tom
    Latham does an excellent job of showing the real stress of working as an undercover game warden. Operating under a dual role, uniformed officer one week then the next week as an undercover warden with a fictitious name and a made up personal history. The book gives insight into life of a violator that kills animals for financial gain.
    Jeanne
    Wildlife lovers - here's a shock to the system!
    Living in an area rich in wildlife that periodically sees poaching cases come up in court, I was curious how these cases were investigated. This book tells in detail the story of game wardens going undercover to make such a case. The story is a real eye-opener, with illegal hunting, illegal selling of game and fish, and animal cruelty. The game wardens showed tremendous courage going undercover amongst gun-toting, violent, and often drunken criminal
    Terry Thomas
    This is a good story. If you are a wildlife lover, it is a little scary to realize just how much poaching goes on that is never prosecuted. It really takes guts for these officers to go undercover with some really bad people and to be able to play the role to completion. I would recommend (and have) this book to everyone with any interest in wildlife.
    Tina
    I won this book through a goodreads.com giveaway. Before reading this book I didn't know much about what a Game Wardens job involved besides making sure people had hunting/fishing licenses. I really enjoyed reading this and I have a whole new respect for what Game Wardens do. Great book, Tony Latham! Thank you!
    Diane Zavotsky
    Story flowed well, interesting to someone who didn't know much about the job of a game warden .And since he is local and tlaking aobut familiar places alwyas adds to the appeal of the book, but not necessary to enjoy it.Looking forward to a book group discussion on it that the author will attend.
    judy  dewall
    judy dewall marked it as to-read
    Chad Gustafson
    Chad Gustafson marked it as to-read
    Tammi
    Tammi marked it as to-read
    Sandra Beck
    Sandra Beck marked it as to-read
    Amy
    Amy marked it as to-read
    Beth
    Beth marked it as to-read
    Julie
    Julie marked it as to-read
    LaNell
    LaNell marked it as to-read
    Don Pumphrey
    Don Pumphrey marked it as to-read
    Paula
    Paula marked it as to-read
    Tammy Pooser
    Tammy Pooser marked it as to-read
    Dasha
    Dasha marked it as to-read
    Jodi
    Jodi marked it as to-read
    Kirsten
    Kirsten marked it as to-read
    Shelley
    Shelley marked it as to-read
    Dr. Cole marie mckinnon
    Dr. Cole marie mckinnon marked it as to-read
    Pam Mooney
    Pam Mooney marked it as to-read
    Roxanne Davis
    Roxanne Davis marked it as to-read
    Chris Colton
    Chris Colton marked it as to-read
    Melissa Ridgely
    Melissa Ridgely marked it as to-read
    • The Pope & the CEO: John Paul II's Leadership Lessons to a Young Swiss Guard
    • Lone Bean
    • A Song in the Night: A Memoir of Resilience
    • Amalgam (The Valaran Chronicles, #1) - Expanded
    • Simplicity
    • At the End (The Road to Extinction, #1)
    • Tiger Born
    • Anthology I: The Other Side
    • Yours in Truth: A Personal Portrait of Ben Bradlee, Journalism's Legendary Editor
    • The Planets
    • A Thousand Bayonets
    • My Happy Days in Hollywood: A Memoir
    • Double Time: How I Survived---and Mostly Thrived---Through the First Three Years of Mothering Twins
    • In My Own Words (Still Running)
    • The Viper
    • Relentless Pursuit: A Novel (Secrets of Roux River Bayou, #3)
    • Beyond Bath Time: Embracing Motherhood as a Sacred Role (True Woman)
    • Ice Fire: A Thriller (Jock Boucher #1)
    Tony Latham grew up wanting to be a game warden like his great uncle Hawley Hill in the 1950s and ’60s. His first career involved chasing wildfires in the interior of Alaska. (He claims to have caught one once.) After his fire career Tony spent 22 years pursuing wildlife thieves both in and out of uniform with Idaho Fish and Game.
    More about Tony H. Latham...
    Five Fingers ANALYZING BALLISTIC EVIDENCE, On-Scene by the Investigator