Start by marking “Hidden Treasures” as Want to Read:
Hidden Treasures

Hidden Treasures

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  329 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Helen Merrifield has said goodbye to her philandering husband and her swish West London house, to live in an idyllic country cottage in the heart of a postcard-perfect village in Cornwall. Putting the past behind her, Helen throws herself into country life and soon makes a new set of eccentric friends.
Published March 29th 2012 by HarperCollinsPublishers (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Treasures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Treasures

Smelleykins
I'm giving this book four stars purely based on parts being silly. This is a great book, it's a light fun read. I honestly never knew Fern Britton wrote books and I won this via a giveaway just before christmas.

Anyways, the story is of Helen, who is going through a divorce, ups and leaves london for the quiet life in cornwall. The start of the story goes on about an old lady who lives in the house Helen buys, we don't hear anything of said lady until probably a few chapters before the end.

Ther
Aileen
Newly divorced Helen Merrifield moves from London to Pendruggan in Cornwall she has bought a cottage and is ready to make a new life for herself. Helen soon makes friends with the Villagers. Simon (the local vicar) and Piran (the local Historian) has "the hots" for her however after her Ex Husband Gray Helen is off men or is she? Best Friend and Producer Penny comes down to Pendruggan to film her new Tv Series, Penny's PA has had an accident so Helen is covering for her she has never worked so h ...more
Sue
‘Hidden Treasures’, which I downloaded free for my Kindle, starts with an intriguing prologue about an elderly lady. However most of the book is about a middle-aged woman called Helen who has just moved to a small village after leaving her philandering husband. She meets local folk and settles in, then her friend Penny comes for a visit...

There's a lot of potential for a pleasant light village-style book here, but unfortunately, it doesn’t work. After the first chapter, which I enjoyed, the wri
Siobhan Johnson
Helen Merrifield appears to have had enough of her wayward husband and her life in the city and swops it all for a new life in the Cornish village of Pendruggan before long she has settled into her new life and has even made friends with Dorrie Queenie and Don. Along the way Helen finds herself with an admirer in the guise of local vicar Simon and local historian Piran. During the story we find out more about an old Edwardian chest and its secrets! Meanwhile Penny who happens to be a friend of H ...more
Anne Harvey
A nice little romantic read. After separating from her philandering husband, middle-aged Helen moves to a village in Cornwall where she quickly becomes involved in village life, including the piratical Piran. The hidden treasures of the title are in a box she finds in her garden but, if I'm honest, they didn't seem to contribute much to the plot. The book is populated with likeable and believable characters, including a real sweetie, vicar Simon. When a film crew comes to the village to film a t ...more
Jo
Loved it. Did get a bit silly in the middle with the film crew etc - but Fern Britton knows what she is writing about - and set in the gorgeous Cornwall - can't wait to head down there in the summer.
Mizzo73
Perfect for a cold day, a long train trip and a cup of tea. It stirs very strong pastie cravings though....
Rea Sinfield
I read Fern Britton’s New Beginnings last year but I put it down just after half way through as I was finding it a real challenge to carry on as it wasn’t gripping my attention. I decided to give Fern another try and so decided to read Hidden Treasures.

With her children now off hand it is time for Helen to leave her cheating husband and make a new life for herself. Helen is making her new life in a quaint Cornish village of Pendruggan. Before long Helen is making a new set of quirky friends and
Julie Lees
‘Hidden Treasures’ is a second novel by Fern Britton (TV presenter, turned novelist) and tells the story of Helen Merrifield, a forty-something, well-preserved wife and mother who decides to turn her life around when she, inadvertently, discovers another of her husband’s infidelities.

Her intention to leave her disastrous marriage in the new year is superseded when, as a Christmas present, she receives a pair of lacy knickers and a sewing machine from her errant husband instead of the Tiffany bau
Trudy Cutts
Hidden Treasures By Fern Britton

During the story we find out more about an old Edwardian chest and its secrets !
Meanwhile Penny
Chrys
I really enjoy Fern Britton's books, every single one has delivered exactly the right balance of light entertainment - a lovely treat to read, wonderful characters and gentle plot lines. I've been recommending them to customers and have received lots of positive feedback.
Julie
Another easily read story from Fern Britton. This book is about Helen Merrifield who is newly single and has moved from London to Cornwall to start the next chapter of her life. She makes friends with people in the village, although doesn't take to Piran Ambrose.....
Tracey
How come i've never discovered @Fern_Britton books before??!?!? This book was an absolute joy to read.. I adore Cornwall... I am very much into Family History and i don't mind saying that i love a giggle too.. This book had it all.. I now have another of Ferns books to get my old gnashers into and cannot wait to start
Lara
Dec 06, 2014 Lara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Helen leaves her philandering husband to start a new life in Cornwall, where she becomes entangled with both a lonely vicar and a Heathcliff lookalike. Warm-hearted, gentle tale in keeping with Fern's t.v. persona.
Donna Irwin
Any book set in Cornwall always appeals! This was filled with great characters and a good story. Some of it was a bit daft, as they say in my home county, but it kept me entertained!
Katie
I read The Holiday Home first, and then this one. Cornwall is one of my favourite places, so I was keen to read another book that was set there. Another good book by Fern!
Mrs J A Goldschmidt
a treasure of a book!

A wonderful read - funny, light, fast paced and unputdownable! A really super holiday read. I can highly recommend it.
Cath Stannard
A little far fetched but hey, it's chick lit. Lots of characters but it was easy to get to know them and they felt like they became part of the family. A great read which made me smile and shed a tear. Lovely book and can't wait to carry on reading about the characters in Ferns other books :)
Erica Hudson
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Peter Snodgrass
Really easy read with a good plot and wanting the best for the characters. Pity horrible husband was happy as well.
A fantastic book and very heart warming and a great gift to my self. I would love to re-read it again :)
Debbie
Cheesey but nice. Beautifully evocative of life in Cornwall. I found this a comfy, cosy uplifting read.
Laura Dickinson
This book is a perfect lift your spirits kind of book.
Okay, it isn't going to win any literary awards, but it also is not a badly written book; it's totally readable and engaging and the kind of book you can really get into on a holiday etc.
The setting is lovely and it and the local Cornish characters seem real and genuine (I know Fern Britton does live there and you get the impression she has tried to make the detail authentic).
The plot is quite unoriginal in the sense that you can have a good
Hannah
Bit cheesy in places but is a chick flick in a book. If you like rom coms you'll like it.
Sue
Really enjoyable feel-good reading! I'd like one of these for every holiday please...
Wendy Graham
A joy to read, I shall be reading more of fern brittons books.
Anniesphere
A light, easy summer holiday read. Likeable characters, appealing Cornish setting and engaging story.
Cathy White
Nice easy read, enjoyed this book and the story is down to earth and belivable.
Diane Lithgow
I really enjoyed this novel and the twists and turns of the English village. Great characters, felt close to them. Will look for more books by this author
Christina Rochester
I'll admit this wasn't the best book I've ever read, but it was exactly what I expected it to be.

Fern Britton has created a beautiful chicklit gem which focuses on Helen as she navigates really living her life for the first time after leaving her cheating love rat husband Gray.

The storyline felt somewhat confused in the middle, and the small storyline with the ashes was a bit of an anticlimax.

However the characters were well written and I loved Gray's ridiculous attempts at getting Helen back
  • The Beach Hut
  • Midsummer Magic
  • Summer With My Sister
  • Recipe for Love
  • Santa Maybe
  • The Christmas Bake-Off
  • My Sweet Valentine (Article Row, #3)
  • Coming Home
  • Must Be Love (Talyton St George, #2)
  • Warnings Of Gales
  • The Playgroup
  • The Kinsella Sisters (Lissamore, #1)
  • Home for Christmas
  • Ice Creams at Carrington’s
  • Christmas Wedding at the Gingerbread Cafe (Gingerbread Cafe, #3)
  • Laura's Handmade Life
  • Letter From Chicago
  • The Runaway Actress
1199148
Fern Britton, an English television presenter, was born on 17 July 1957 in Ealing, London. She was educated at Dr Challoner's High School in Little Chalfont and underwent training in stage management at the Central School of Speech and Drama. She is the daughter of the English actor, Tony Britton and Ruth Britton. Fern Britton spent the early days of her life at Buckinghamshire. Her older sister, ...more
More about Fern Britton...
The Holiday Home New Beginnings A Seaside Affair Fern: The Autobiography Fern Britton Short Story