Start by marking “Piaf” as Want to Read:
Piaf

Piaf

„Животът й бе толкова тъжен и толкова красив, че изглежда невероятен.” Тези думи на Саша Гитри сякаш описват по най-добрия начин земния път на Едит Пиаф.

За бурните й дни и за феноменалния й успех на сцената разказва нейната полусестра Симон Берто. С цветист език и изключително увлекателно тя ни прави свидетели на кариерата на Пиаф, която започва да пее по улиците на петнад
Published 1973 (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Piaf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Piaf

danielle
Sep 23, 2007 danielle rated it it was amazing
God, but she was a wonderfully crazy person.
Linda
Jun 24, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
I found the book in a bookstall somewhere before I even realized who Edith Piaf really was ... and my copy has been lost over the years. But it introduced me to a woman who is, for me, the symbol of France.
Marksplatter
Mar 24, 2012 Marksplatter rated it it was amazing
Just like being there alongside M. Piaf. Especially the start on the streets through rough poverty through France in the 20s and 30s, through adventures colored by seedy streets and alcohol, smoky cafe and bistros through all hours of the night with the colorful characters of the cabaret set. Countless love affairs and more tragedies than you can count on hands and feet, balanced out by outrageous fortune and success and a 'dont give a damn' attitude and determination. Edith Piaf is well worth ...more
Tricia
May 13, 2008 Tricia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of biographies
Recommended to Tricia by: it was given to me on the death of an aunt
I have always loved Edith Piaf's amazing voice. An aunt of mine recently died and I was given Simone Berteaut's biography of Edith from her estate. It is a 1969 hardbook 1st edition and a little dog-eared but from the first page, I was hooked! You would not have to be a fan of Edith's to enjoy this riveting biography, so lovingly and honestly told by Edith's half-sister. I recommend it wholeheartedly to lovers of biographies.
Sasha
May 03, 2013 Sasha rated it really liked it
In the same league like "Lady sings the blues" (read: engrossing, probably embellished tale of artistic life) that appealed a lot to me in my younger days but struck somewhat differently chord today. Berteaut claims to have been Piaf's half-sister (documents tell different story) but no matter who she was, apparently she knew Piaf from earliest days so she does have a tale to tell. Author basically lived parasitic life next to her successful sibling and trough the book constantly paints herself ...more
Sara
Aug 23, 2010 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This particular biography is written by Simone, Edith Piaf's best friend and half sister. They were very close for most of Edith's life, suffering occasional falling-outs, which never lasted forever.

The book seems a lot longer than it needs to be, mostly because the description of Edith Piaf's love life was so repetitive that it could have been boiled down to one chapter.

Piaf squeezed a lot of living into a very short number of years. She is described as a fiery, passionate person, determined
Lucy Lang
Aug 12, 2016 Lucy Lang rated it really liked it
This is a well researched book on the life and times of Piaf, who was a giant in French singing culture and later in her career became internationally known and appreciated. This book follows the turbulent early life of Piaf, who was never able to shake off that sense of insecurity and mental unrest, dating back to her difficult childhood. As a singer, she was very demanding of herself and her entourage, often forcing them to rehearse through the night. Piaf had a Rock & Roll lifestyle many ...more
Ankica
Nov 24, 2013 Ankica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do not read this book without Edith Piaf playlist in background.
She was a fascinating character but his sister was also. I watched the movie immediatly after reading the book and the only thing that suprised me was Simone. It is hilarious.
Lucy Risner
Nov 09, 2011 Lucy Risner rated it really liked it
My hairdresser had movie night with me, a physicist, a mild agoraphobic and a massage therapist. We watched the movie about Edith Piaf which really is oe of the most depressing movies ever. But fascinating. Had to read the book.
Mopo
Aug 29, 2013 Mopo rated it it was amazing
Great story, great life, great woman! I was hooked! You don't have to be a fan of Edith's, you don't even have to know who was she to enjoy the book.
Jana
Nov 20, 2015 Jana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know the feeling when you're ''eating'' a book? Well that's what happened to me with this book <3
Puck Duimdus
May 21, 2013 Puck Duimdus rated it it was amazing
What can you say about a book written by the halfsister? They both grew up on the street: you have to have been there to appreciate the lingo and the climbing 'up'.

Damn honest recount. I like it.
Yana Imreorova
Yana Imreorova rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2014
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2013
Bobbi
Bobbi rated it liked it
May 15, 2011
Elle_oh_nora
Elle_oh_nora rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2012
Rosalind Reisner
Rosalind Reisner rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2009
Paul Sdaerdoog
Paul Sdaerdoog rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Lenka
Lenka rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2011
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2014
Leon
Leon rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2013
Lauriina
Lauriina rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Katka Norková
Katka Norková rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2012
Undreya
Undreya rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2012
Veera
Veera rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2016
Andres Ramirez
Andres Ramirez rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Monica Stan
Monica Stan rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2013
Jenny De vries-smedts
Jenny De vries-smedts rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Satu
Satu rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2011
  • Memories, Dreams and Reflections
  • Siouxsie & the Banshees: The Authorised Biography
  • A Woman's Story
  • The Girl in the Song: The Stories Behind 50 Rock Classics
  • Wisecracker: The Life and Times of William Haines, Hollywood's First Openly Gay Star
  • Louis Armstrong: An Extravagant Life
  • Confusion Is Next: The Sonic Youth Story
  • Moonage Daydream: The Life & Times of Ziggy Stardust
  • War Paint: Madame Helena Rubinstein and Miss Elizabeth Arden: Their Lives, Their Times, Their Rivalry

“For me, sleeping is a waste of time. I'm afraid to sleep. It's a form of death.” 21 likes
“Моето слънце пламва у мен, когато падне нощта. Само в този момент започвам да виждам ясно.” 6 likes