Start by marking “The Connected Company” as Want to Read:
The Connected Company

The Connected Company

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The future of work is already here.

Customers are adopting disruptive technologies faster than your company can adapt. When your customers are delighted, they can amplify your message in ways that were never before possible. But when your company’s performance runs short of what you’ve promised, customers can seize control of your brand message, spreading their disappointme
Published September 18th 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Connected Company, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Connected Company

Steve Jobs Bio by J.T. OwensThe Connected Company by Dave  GrayWhere Good Ideas Come From by Steven JohnsonCreativity, Inc. by Ed CatmullEmergence by Steven Johnson
cooperation
2nd out of 19 books — 5 voters
From Talking Drums to the Internet by Robert GardnerStrategy and Structure by Alfred D. Chandler Jr.The Connected Company by Dave  GrayThe Systems Bible by John GallThe Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
IASummit 2013 Reading List
3rd out of 7 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

BCS
Some books are great to read from start to finish, with tons of stuff to enjoy, learn or be amazed by, but perhaps not always in the same package. However, this is one those books that has it all, and it was a real delight to read from start to finish. So where do I begin?

First of all, the subject matter for The Connected Company is right at the heart of everything that organisations have to deal with these days; namely, how to adapt the culture of the enterprise to make the best use of a highly
Kristian Norling
This is THE best business book I have read this year. Simply put a great read. The book is a manual for the company of today and tomorrow. Glad I read it before starting on a journey as a entrepreneur. And I will make sure colleagues and friends read it.

Highly recommended.
Anne Adrian
Anyone in a service industry and in education should read this. We should be looking at our work differently. Though there are reasons for developing efficiencies we should be looking toward opportunities and benefits with connected to our customers and others.
Yuval Yeret

Great book. Lots of practical tips, useful concepts and metaphors, as well as interesting stories. This is a roadmap for managers looking to the next big thing in how to design &run companies
Really enjoyed it
Deborah
Having lived my life in and through the network, Dave’s book hits a sweet spot for me. It’s layout, structure and format make it so easy to read and use – a huge plus! First, being a lover of etymology, I love Dave’s elaboration of Product as a Service Avatar on many levels. First, it’s so so true and second, the basis of the word avatar. So, second first – Avatar comes from Sanskrit. Ava means descent, coming down and Tatari means crossing over. Analogies of diving to flesh, energy to matter ar ...more
Mikal
Summary: A compelling survey and manifesto that unifies a lot of specialized concepts into one organized whole. I really hope we begin to embrace "The Connected Company" not necessarily as Dave Gray has defined and outlined them here, but as a philosophy and hypothesis for further development and exploration by leaders, academics, consultants, professionals, and individuals. The connected company is here and we need to shape it.

I preordered this on Amazon when I read Dave Gray's blog post "Every
Shane
The first part let me down a bit. It felt incomplete and rushed, lacking detail.

However, the remaining parts are worth it. The message resonated with me, having been in a large corporation my whole career. Learning the six-sigma methodology, which focuses on building a process that can be reliably reproduced the same output, it always bothered me that by reducing variation you're not only cutting out the processes that under perform, but your chopping of the processes that excel.

This book also
Jurgen Appelo
The new organization is a network, not a hierarchy. Great argument and well written.
Peter
Management book of the year by @davegray > mandatory reading for any incumbent wanting to have a chance in the 21st century hyperconnected economy
Kat
Dave is excellent at making complex subjects simple to understand. I enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoy hearing Dave speak at events.
Alfonso
Good intuitions, but quite generic and fuzzy in the identification of consequences and guidelines.
Breean Miller
I want to highlight every word. Great insights!
Jay Oza
Disclaimer: I received this book from O’Reilly Media to provide a book review. Note, there were no conditions attached.

The book "The Connected Company" by Dave Gray with Thomas Vander Wal provides an excellent road map for companies to become “connected.” By connected they mean can a company provide a service to a customer the way he wants it, expects it and has a satisfying experience so he keeps coming back and tells others about his good experience, or will that same customer, if he has a ba
Davi Bauer
When I started reading this book I couldn't stop reading it. The ideas are very similar to those presented by Niels Pflaeging. The book talks about the connected company, that in other words we could refers it as a company that learn. For a company to learn it needs to be connected with his customers, but it is difficult in the traditional hierarchical way, where the decision makers are at the top side, whereas the customers touch-point are at the bottom side. This is a must read book.
Ilya Mrz
Sep 02, 2014 Ilya Mrz rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: ms
Soooo, we live in service economy. Adapt for customers needs and improve your products
consistently
Amanda Amport
Great read. Every business owner should read this book.
VENKATRAMAN C K
Brilliant Book. Must read for middle level managers. Compulsive arguments for a new form of Complex Adaptive Organisation. I like the way the book is organised. Each chapter is very short 5 pages or less and complete by itself yet a critical piece of the overall assertion. I also like how the author gives examples from real world Companies who are already in such a form. Information Technology professionals, in particular, will love this book.

While everybody can leran from this book, Managers w
Sery0ga
Love this book! Excellent presentation of ideas, nice drawings and useful advices.
Amy Mcsharry
Gives a good background as to some of the benefits of being connected and instituting Holacracy. However, there are still a ton of open questions that this book doesn't address of how to get our company from where they currently are to the point of being connected. We all don't have the vision of Jack Welch, so it's hard to see what small steps can be made at every level to try to move the company in the right direction.
André Gomes
I just love to learn about better ways to design and structure an organization.

This book offers a lot of ideias and invites you to think about new ways to organize people around a goal.

I definitely recommend the reading. It is fun and filled with lots of nice drawings.

Karin
This is a very good book to get a foundational understanding of organizational health in the Digital Age. I recommend it to many people. Dave Gray writes from experience and a keen eye for observing what is happening now and what to expect in the near future.
Romuald
Interesting concepts. but nothing new under the sun.
If feels more like a well-written intern project that involved a lot of reading and a lot of googling, but that doesn't add much to the existing business litterature.
Marc  Binkley
This is hands down the most important business book I've ever read. If you have any interest in the future of business, you should rush out to get a copy of this book for yourself and be prepared to take copious notes.
Oliver Thylmann
Great Book about how our Companies of the future should work with many great examples. I will keep this as a reference with lots of amazing links to go deeper.
ecchibat
Great book on modern management. I highly recommend it for people in management or leadership roles, or for anyone in a company going through growing pains.
Jukka Lindström
Excellent first book on organization as a network. Enjoyed it although left craving for more examples.
Fred Zimny
Nice overview of most relevant management theories.

Most essential quote: leadership is about people
Theo
A good read for building agile companies, it touches a lot of topics - not too deep but connected!
Sebastian Schneider
I liked the podular approach. Good overview of what "agile" can also mean. Good examples
Daniel P.
A great read from front to back. It's how businesses will need to be run from here on out
What do you think? 1 4 Sep 01, 2012 01:31PM
  • The Leader's Guide to Radical Management: Reinventing the Workplace for the 21st Century
  • The Impact Equation: Are You Making Things Happen or Just Making Noise?
  • The Design of Business: Why Design Thinking is the Next Competitive Advantage
  • Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Tool Kit for Managers
  • What Matters Now: How to Win in a World of Relentless Change, Ferocious Competition, and Unstoppable Innovation
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • How to Change the World: Change Management 3.0
  • A Social Strategy: How We Profit from Social Media
  • Design Thinking: Integrating Innovation, Customer Experience, and Brand Value
  • The Power of Pull: How Small Moves, Smartly Made, Can Set Big Things in Motion
  • Seizing the White Space: Growth and Renewal Through Business Model Innovation
  • Open Leadership: How Social Technology Can Transform the Way You Lead
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
  • Hidden in Plain Sight: How to Create Extraordinary Products for Tomorrow's Customers
  • Hard Facts, Dangerous Half-Truths, and Total Nonsense: Profiting from Evidence-based Management
  • The Idea Hunter: How to Find the Best Ideas and Make Them Happen
  • The End of Competitive Advantage: How to Keep Your Strategy Moving as Fast as Your Business
  • Free Ride: How Digital Parasites are Destroying the Culture Business, and How the Culture Business Can Fight Back
Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rule-breakers, and Changemakers Selling To the VP of No Marks and Meaning, version zero Gamestorming - Jouer Pour Innover Universities and the Creation of Wealth