Start by marking “Pretty Dead” as Want to Read:
Pretty Dead

Pretty Dead

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  1,752 ratings  ·  271 reviews
I fuochi devastano Los Angeles assieme al cuore nero di Charlotte Emerson. Tutto brucia, si consuma e ritorna: l’eterna solitudine, il ricordo del fratello ucciso da una febbre assassina e traditrice, la ricomparsa del suo primo compagno dalle mire oscure, l’attrazione per l’ingenuo, forse troppo ingenuo Jared, la possibilità di nuove amicizie sempre destinate a durare poc ...more
Published April 21st 2010 by Elliot (first published November 3rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretty Dead

Kim
Apr 07, 2010 Kim rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young girls not yet jaded
I am sad.

I know that this is nothing new. An invisible wall of despondency surrounds me. I could rival any teenager with a slew of Gothic poetry. (Bring it on, Bella… I can take you.)

Anyway, this wall… it keeps people at bay. There are certain words that they will not use around me. (Like saying to a blind man ‘But, don’t you see?’) Mostly I am okay with this. It saves me from thinking, I can play a role, it eases people, and I feel safe. The problem is that other stuff, the stuff that I want t
AH
Pretty Disappointing.

As I read Pretty Dead by Francesca Lia Block, a thought got stuck in my head. Why would you go back and relive high school if you were immortal? If you already had a nice home, a fancy car, and nice clothes, why would go back to that awkwardness? Yes, I know they did it in another YA book about vampires, but at least in that book, the characters tried to fit in, in their own special ways.

The main character Charlotte seems to stick out like a sore thumb. She has it all – a b
Sue
Dec 17, 2009 Sue rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Leah
I had to read this after seeing Nenia despise it. I love books that provoke strong reactions.

This is beautifully written--and I don't say that lightly. I've seen too many reviewers lately throw "beautifully written" around when they apparently just mean the book made them feel something. Your emotions are beautiful, yes, but that doesn't make the writing lyrical. Some people cry at Lifetime movies. Standards, people.

Block selects words with precision, grace, necessity. Her scenes unfold palpably
Brianna
I admit, I closed this book after like 3 pages. I am sick of this author's characters looking EXACTLY the same. Have some flaws already.

Jutting, curved hip bones.
Swan neck.
Plump lips.
Perfect breasts.
Long, lean limbs.

Mostly quotes up there. I just... This was me giving the author another try and I couldn't get past that. Maybe I'll give the book another try but after however many books of hers I've read, I am tired of all the main characters being skinny perfect things. The one time she wrote a '
Trin
~Tina~
There is a lot of potential in this book. The writing is very well done but this plot line and it's characters are very strange and confusing.
In short, This book is weird and not for me.

Shirley :]
Commodore
I'm guessing I'll always have a soft spot for Francesca Lia Block. I liken it to Jack Kerouac: either you found this author at the right time in your life and he/she really spoke to you, and so for the rest of your life you look on their works fondly, even if you grow up enough to see the flaws that are there, or you didn't.

So yes, this book isn't the best book ever. It's not even the best among Francesca Lia Block books. There are parts where things aren't quite properly explained, Charlotte is
Trisha
Hmmm...this was an interesting concept, but I didn't like how it was executed.

So, the idea that a vampire might be able to go back and become human again. Interesting, I thought. Charlotte seems to be going through that transition as she gets her bearings living alone and being closer to humans than she has in a long time.

But the writing. It's flowery and arts-y. Like a long winded poem, only more detached and confusing. The chapters are more like diary entries, only lacking emotion but just wi
Lillie Roberts
Charlotte Emerson is devastated. Once a care free teen, twin to Charles, but when he succumbs to rheumatic fever, she loses him... lost to her forever, lost to her parents, and to those who enjoyed his essence. She's sick and tired, sick with his lost, tired of the pain. When into her live walk the mysterious William Stone Elliot, he offers takes away the loss and to gives something else in return.

William Stone Elliot, made vampire, has long sought the one to accompany him on his travels through
Grace
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Pretty Dead was a story about a girl vampire. And not just ANY Girl vampire.... Actually, it was a story about a girl vampire who's pretty much moving backwards and can't figure out why. Instead of dining on pouches of blood she's starting to eat regular old people food.

This book wasn't the best by FLB that I have read. I read a review that said someone must have told FLB that vampires were in so she had to write one too.... well, I agree....I think this was written just because of popularity an
Sian Lile-Pastore
I love reading Francesca Lia Block.
This one is a vampire story, and reminded me a little of the movie 'only lovers left alive' - it's got lots of luscious descriptions of clothes, food and pretty boys and has a decadent velvety feel to it.
I also liked how the death of Kurt Cobain is considered one of the major events of the last 100 years... (which is probably true).
Ashley Rieflin
Conceptually beautiful, I feel that this story was unfortunately rushed. I have always loved FLB, but her past few tales were too short for their own good. Pretty Dead offers a unique twist on the vampire legend and some of the passages are as beautiful as FLB's old tales. However, she rushes through the story and the reader is unable to really connect with the characters in order to fall in-love with them and relate to their conflict.

I really wish that FLB could go through this novel again and
paula
Reading Francesca Lia Block is like standing in front of your grandma's jewelry box and putting on every necklace and all her rings. Mmm, charm bracelets! And what are these green beads! And yes, please, the big pearls, whether they are real or fake. In fact, I get the distinct impression that writing Francesca Lia Block is a lot like standing in front of grandma's jewelry box and loading it all on. The clothes! The houses! The beautiful boys and the beautiful girls!

Full review on Pink Me: http:
Nenia Campbell

♥ || Twitter || ♥ || Facebook || ♥ || Booklikes ♥ || Pinterest || ♥

When I fifteen, it was 2005, and people were posting serialized stories on Quizilla. Terrible, unoriginal stories about beautiful emo girls who cut their wrists and wore Converse sneakers with their prom dresses and dirty gray hoodies, and ended up sucked into some paranormal brouhaha where they immediately became the object of lust for every straight male creature for miles.

Francesa Lia Block clearly revels in that type of girl
Krys

Sigh, oh Francesca Lia Block... you had me at wine and seductions of young, impressionable beauties with satin ball gowns and Portishead. I always am impressed with Block's writing ability and her nuance, particularly in how she couples words and imbues them with about ten different meanings. Eventually I want to read everything that Block writes, and I am slowly working my way through it all... must make a point of reading the Weetzie Bat books soon... mental note. I've written it on the intern
Amanda
People pity me, but mostly they feel envy. I have all the luxury and freedom a girl my age could want.

Something is happening to Charlotte Emerson. Like the fires that are ravaging the hills of Los Angeles, it consumes her from the inside out. But whether it is her eternal loneliness, the memory of her brother, the return of ger first love, or the brooding, magnetic Jared - she cannot say. What if it's something more . . .

Something to do with the sudden tear in her perfect nails. The heat she fee
Mandy Brouse
I'm not sure how to best start this review, but my very first reaction, even after reading the first PAGE of Pretty Dead, was "wow. Really? Wow".

Francesca Lia Block's writing astonished me. I was almost unprepared to read this book. I'm going to copy out the first paragraph because after I read it my mind shifted gears, knowing I was about to read something totally different:

Teenage girls are powerful creatures. I remember; I was once one of them. They are relentless and underutilized. They want
Zoë
"By becoming artists we monsters can sometimes be redeemed. We can give instead of devouring."

Pretty Dead is the story of Charlotte Emerson a girl who has everything a person could want, designer clothes, a gorgeous house, a slim body- she is the object of envy and desire. Charlotte is also a vampire who has been mourning her twin brother Charles' death for over a century during which she has been frozen at nearly eighteen. Charlotte has flawless skin and nails which never break until one day th
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by LadyJay for TeensReadToo.com

Charlotte Emerson used to be a teenage girl. She loved writing, clothes, and her brother, Charles. Charles meant everything to her - he was her world, her reason for living. Rheumatic fever took him too early, leaving Charlotte heartbroken and lost.

Enter William, a dashing young man who offers Charlotte a life of immortality; free from worry, disease, and old age.

Charlotte is exquisite as a vampire; her beauty is unparalleled, but she longs for something m
I like FLB, sometimes. I loved the Weetzie Bat stories and I've loved some of her other work. But this? This feels like a book written to go along with the trend of vampirism in YA fiction, and it's fine, but that's all.

The things I enjoy about FLB's writing are here, but they are echoes of themselves. Normally I come to her books for the magic, the sensuousness, the opportunity to become involved in the wardrobes and beautiful food and sensory experiences of beautiful girls. It's silly, but so
Laianna
Josephine
This book was basically every vampire cliche I have ever read in my life. And I have read quite a few vampire books in my life. Vampires were my favorite creatures. Notice the keyword in that sentence is 'were', past tense. I read this book after my 'post vamp high', had it been before, I would have found this book mildly entertaining and gave it a two. But alas, here we are. Let me be honest with you, I did not finish this book. I got to page 100-something, and I think that is good enough.

Summ
Melissa Declet
Rachel
“Teenage girls are powerful creatures. I remember: I was once one of them. They are relentless and underutilized. They want what they want, and they will do what they must to get it. Love, possessions, beauty, food, sweets, friends. Unless they are crushed so hard as to give up. But then they are just as relentless, only seeking different things. Destruction, annihilation.”

In quite a rare event indeed, there was not a thing I disliked about Francesca Lia Block's Pretty Dead. She weaves such a si
I think I'm officially too old to read Block's YA novels. I can no longer stand the product name-dropping descriptions and general emptiness. I got through her previous books because they held a sense of wonder and her alternate LA was a wonderful place to be, but this one just felt like a vampiric YA novel by Bret Easton Ellis.
Julie Decker
Charlotte seems to have everything, but she's empty inside. She has lived for nearly a century in the body of a sixteen-year-old girl because she was changed by a vampire during a period of personal tragedy. Having lost her precious twin brother, she allows the darkly compelling William to take her on adventures, but though he gives her the world, he takes her mortality and replaces it with a monstrous existence that prevents her from feeling the way she did when she was human. Traveling the wor ...more
Nadine Swartz
As someone trying to get back in YA lit, this wasn't a good place to start.

Charlotte sounded like every other Block female protagonist, the only twist being: She's a vampire, not a fairy(-like human)! She, as well as all the other characters, fell flat - there was more of a focus on what characters were wearing (probably a vintage dress and super expensive heels) than on character development. Most plot elements were as contrived as the plot.

While Block has written some books I've really liked,
  • Dark Moon (Wereling, #2)
  • Vampire Kisses - Blood Relatives: Complete Edition
  • Evidence of Angels
  • Pemba's Song: A Ghost Story
  • The Sunlight Slayings (Oliver Nocturne, #2)
  • Alyxandra Harvey Collection (Drake Chronicles, #1-3; Haunting Violet, #1)
  • Princess Jellyfish, Vol. 1 (Princess Jellyfish, #1)
  • Do-Over
  • Bitten (Dangerous Girls, #1-2)
  • The Tear Collector
  • Mars, Volume 02
  • Birth of the Pack (Weregirls, #1)
  • The Woman in the Wall
  • Summer (Witch Season, #1)
  • Night Road
  • What I Wore to Save the World (Morgan Rawlinson, #3)
  • Tantalize: Kieren's Story
  • Teeth: Vampire Tales
Francesca Lia Block was born in Los Angeles to a poet and a painter, their creativity an obvious influence on her writing. Another influence was her childhood love of Greek mythology and fairy tales.
She has lived in the city all her life, and still resides there with her daughter, Jasmine Angelina (about whom she wrote her book Guarding the Moon), her son Samuel Alexander, and her two dogs: a spr
More about Francesca Lia Block...
Weetzie Bat (Weetzie Bat, #1) Dangerous Angels (Weetzie Bat, #1-5) The Rose and the Beast: Fairy Tales Retold I Was a Teenage Fairy Echo