Start by marking “All She Wants” as Want to Read:
All She Wants

All She Wants

There are some things in life you can always rely on. Living in the shadow of your 'perfect' brother Joey, getting the flu over Christmas, and your Mother showing you up in the supermarket. Then there are some things you really don't count on happening: a good dose of fame, getting completely trashed at an awards ceremony, and catching your fella doing something ...more
Paperback, Main Market Ed., 512 pages
Published August 16th 2012 by Pan Books (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about All She Wants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All She Wants

Ange Chan
Aug 19, 2012 Ange Chan rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of Jonathan Harvey's previous work, so I knew that this book would hit the spot for me! The story revolves around Jodie McGee, her family life and relationships and how they affect her eventual rise to her dream; of being an actress in Acacia Avenue, her favourite soap. There are many twists and turns in Jodie's life story and despite her constant bad decisions, you really feel want her to succeed in life. All ends well, although not as you'd expect, giving the reader a ...more
Barbara Elsborg
Feb 05, 2015 Barbara Elsborg rated it did not like it
I struggled throughout this book. I was inspired to buy it by two authors I like endorsing it. I must stop believing what I read on a cover. I didn't enjoy the story, or the characters. I didn't find it amusing. In fact one story line connected to the wedding I found very distressing. It just wasn't for me.
Katy Noyes
Sep 01, 2012 Katy Noyes rated it really liked it
Read this as I loved Beautiful Thing, and wasn't disappointed. This could have been bland and run-of-the-mill but was sparkly and fun, and deeper than it might have been. Loved the characters, loved the plot, really enjoyed it.
Juwita
Oct 13, 2016 Juwita rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2016
I feel like smacking Jodie McGee. Not my cup of tea.
Lucinda
Jan 26, 2013 Lucinda rated it really liked it
A feel-good, fabulously funny read that is totally addictive, outrageous and utterly brilliant!

I thoroughly enjoyed this entertaining, light read which had me laughing hysterically throughout as I immersed myself within classic chick-lit. Sharply written by an accomplished author whose acute perception and portrayal of life is spot-on hence this really is an outstanding, noteworthy debut. Standing out on the bookshelf with its striking pink cover and singularity, this comedic witty tale is just
Kevin Paterson
Jul 23, 2013 Kevin Paterson rated it really liked it
Jonathan Harvey is the writer of Beautiful People (the campest, and one of the best TV shows to hit British screens). And Beautiful Thing (the campest and one of the best films- and now theatre shows). Everything he touches turns to gold, but can he do the same with his new novel?

I started reading this as I wanted something light and funny to read on my recent holiday. It seemed quite a lengthy novel for what by the write up on the back seemed like a cheesy, fun little story. But what I found wa
Silvia Liotta
Jodie sin da piccola aveva desiderato poter recitare nella soap opera Acacia
Avenue e delle volte i desideri diventano realtà:interpretando suor Agatha
ha raggiunto la fama e ha vinto un premio prestigioso. Cosa si può volere di più
dalla sorte? Ma non è tutto oro quello che luccica e la nostra protagonista
ci riporterà indietro nel tempo alla sua adolescenza per raccontarci come la
sua vita le abbia riservato non poche sorprese. Un romanzo rosa che va
letto durante un fine settimana rilassante per ev
Elaine
Nov 21, 2015 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Essentially a story about an average girl from Liverpool, with average looks, average background and so on, getting nice breaks and devastating road blocks interspersed with each other. Probably something most female readers can identify with. But it was great how the book's narrator/heroine is so totally angsty, honest (with herself at least), clumsy, charming, and imperfect, that I realised I was rooting for her since halfway through the book.

I think it's rare that male authors totally rock ch
Pete
Dec 28, 2012 Pete rated it really liked it
I am a huge Gimme Gimme Gimme fan and that was the main reason I bought this novel, because of the author. Despite writing for Corrie now (which I do not like) Harvey is still one of my top screenwriters (sadly he'd already written about 10 plays by the time he was my age and me nothing so far)... anyway bitterness aside....

Really enjoyable page-turner of a story and I suspect a more than realistic glimpse into the world of soap... loved all that... as well as hints of Crossroads and Acorn Antiq
Wayne Power
Aug 01, 2016 Wayne Power rated it liked it
Jonathan Harvey does it again. Whilst I preferred his other two books , I absolutely adored Jodie McGee. Her rise , her sad fall from grace and her redemption in the south of France.
Harvey's books and characters are written with such enormous wit and warmth. He can break your heart and make you cry with laughter within paragraphs. It's a fun , ballsy , hilarious and at times moving read. About love, fanily, chasing and losing your dreams. And bouncing back when life sees you pissed as a fart on
Aliya
Apr 11, 2013 Aliya rated it liked it
This book is so funny, it makes me laugh and giggled like sometimes I can’t get it how silly Jody is. First, when she messed up her speech and when she thought Greg was going to proposed. When she swallowed the ring. When he mistaken Stuart’s mom as Stuart ‘girl’ haha those are just hilarious. But Jody also got serious problems in her life, Her ups and down career, about following her dream or not, a husband that actually gay and cheated with her brother on their wedding night. She actually ...more
Natalie Flynn
Sep 30, 2012 Natalie Flynn rated it it was amazing
Stumbled across this book by accident, and I am SO glad I did.

You will instantaneously fall in love with Jodie, and you will stay in love with her throughout her story. He high moments made me smile and her low moment made me well up, and I cried like a baby in the epilogue.

This story is flawlessly told, flitting forward and backwards with smooth transitions. Every single character was lively, colourful and real.

I was absolutely gutted when I got to the end, having devoured this book in a few da
Hayley
Apr 25, 2014 Hayley rated it liked it
I must admit, I wasn't looking forward to reading this as it seemed to be the kind of vacuous chick-lit that I normally give a wide berth to. However, it was recommended by a friend for inclusion in a reading challenge so I gave it a go. I'm really glad I did. Yes it was chick-lit but it was entertaining and it did actually make me laugh (something of a rarity I find when the cover reviews proclaim a book to be 'laugh out loud funny').

It hasn't converted me to chick-lit and I'm not going to be i
Diane
Nov 28, 2012 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-books, favorites
Jonathan Harvey is one of the better Coronation Street writers and has also written plays. This is a foray into chicklit and is quite a fun read. It's about a woman from Liverpool who is a soap opera actor who has just broken up with her boyfriend and is on the edge of a bit of a breakdown. She makes a drunken fool of herself at an awards show and we are then taken back to her childhood and hear her story, including her relationships with her friends and her brother, her first love. There's ...more
John
Jan 11, 2014 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can tell this author writes for a soap opera. At the same time it's a bit of an homage AND a bit of a satire on the world of the soaps - especially towards the end where the plotline gets increasingly histrionic. Maybe he should have decided to go all out for the former OR the latter. Some of the early stuff about drama school training is pretty amusing. An easy undemanding read with shades of Harvey's TV comedies as well as a certain famous street in Manchester
Sophie Waring
Apr 08, 2015 Sophie Waring rated it it was amazing
One of the funniest, most dramatic (in a drama queen way) books ever. Coming from a Liverpool-born family, I had the advantage of understanding the Scouse sociolect Harvey used, and in turn it felt really intimate and sensitive. Jodie is so loveable and as the story goes on you feel more and more sympathy towards her and you want nothing but good news after everything she goes through. Amazing book, I'd love it to be made into a film.
Jenny L
Oct 26, 2015 Jenny L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books
I wanted something lighthearted and funny after the seriousness of 'The Care and Management of Lies' and, as I expected, Jonathan Harvey delivered! This is the second story of his I have read, the first he wrote and it was great. A realistic depiction of sudden fame on a working class girl. I look forward to reading more from this clever, amusing author.
Cath
Jun 05, 2016 Cath rated it really liked it
Impossible to review without spoilers.

The childhood memories and family relationships are spot on - if you grew up in the late 70s / 80s it will remind you of things long forgotten.

Funny, entertaining, thought provoking and serious - all in one novel. The cover may hint of chick-lit but it far removed from that genre.

Read it.
Ele
Apr 08, 2016 Ele rated it did not like it
I'm so relieved I finished it and I don't have to pick it up again. Worst book I've read in a while. It's funny cause reviews on the cover say "Laugh out loud" when I've done all the opposite. At certain points I actually felt really sad about happenings that were probably supposed to be funny? It was more grotesque than funny honestly.
Georgia Gowlett
Jul 16, 2014 Georgia Gowlett rated it liked it
A bit longer than it needed to be and predictable in parts; this book is undemanding and lighthearted. Not sure I laughed out loud... but an entertaining poolside paperback. Style was very familiar and then I realised I'd read Jonathan Harvey's other book on hols last year. Must be the cover that jumps out at you at the airport!
Ramona Lazar
Jan 18, 2015 Ramona Lazar rated it it was amazing
What a book!
I usually read more books in parallel, usually one or more on my Kindle and some paperbacks, too. This one I bought online from Book Depository's bargain shop...and it was money well spent. I like when guys write chic lit with good results, ad I have to admit, this one was great. Hilarious and bar crazy and oh, so realistic, too. And so bloody English.
Loved it.
Sharon
Oct 01, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing
All she wants... Loved this book, I had heard all good things about it, i wasn't disappointed. The plot flows along very easily, had me gripped to know what was going to happen to Jodie next!! With some very funny moments & one liners. Brilliant!
Donald
Dec 18, 2013 Donald rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour, gay-interest
To quote Antony Cotton on the cover, #amazeballs.
No really, brilliant from start to finish, witty, touching, believable.
Jonathan Harvey has such a talent for creating characters you care about it's no wonder Corrie snapped him up.
Cathy Finnerty
Oct 25, 2012 Cathy Finnerty rated it it was amazing

I don't usually read comedy style books, however loved this book, fell in love with Jodie and imagined going down the pub with her and having a drink and a laugh with her . Looking forward to the next book by this author
Nadia Khan
May 10, 2014 Nadia Khan rated it really liked it
Been awhile since I've read a chic-lit and this wasa good one to start with. Hilarious and entertaining all the way through. Made me laugh out loud a few times. Not sure I'll run out to buy another Harvey book but it was well written and the plot wasn't half bad.
Alec
Sep 07, 2012 Alec rated it really liked it
First time I've read this author.great read. The story flowed well and the characters were all easy to like and remember. Good story with lots of sadness and laughter.
If being a telly star is really that bad, I think I'll pass!
Deniz
Oct 31, 2012 Deniz rated it it was amazing
The way the author forms sentences makes me believe that he is an extremely creative person in one way or another. I believe this book deserves 5 stars as I genuinely had no idea how it would end at any point. Sometimes it was sad, sometimes it was entertaining. It is definitely worth reading!
Phililp Thornton
Oct 15, 2012 Phililp Thornton rated it did not like it
Bought this to read on my Kindle during a long flight. Waste of money and time. The author should stick to writing bland plots for bland soap operas. Will never be tempted read anything by him again!!
Jobo
Mar 20, 2014 Jobo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014
One of the best books that I have read in a long time. This has had me laughing ranging from a gentle giggle to hysterical guffawing. The book us fantastically written, and the main character, Jodie, is a joy. I can't recommend this enough x
Leonie
Sep 22, 2012 Leonie rated it it was ok
Wasn't as good as I was expecting from the write ups.
Certainly didn't make me laugh out loud.
Found that I'd worked out what was going to happen before it actually had
Not a book I'd passed onto someone else to read.
  • Tall, Dark and Handsome
  • Devil in Disguise
  • Seven Days to Tell You
  • The Love Letter
  • This Is How It Happened
  • Spend Game (Lovejoy, #4)
  • Knits Men Want
  • Wendy Knits: My Never-Ending Adventures in Yarn
  • The Complete Tommy And Tuppence
  • Knitting for Baby: 30 Heirloom Projects with Complete How-to-Knit Instructions
  • The Gift of a Good Start
  • Moonshine
  • Horse Play
  • Freeways to Flip-Flops: A Family's Year of Gutsy Living on a Tropical Island
  • Men at Work
  • Executive Lunch (A Sedona O'Hala Mystery #1)
  • The Tin Ring: How I Cheated Death
  • Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy: Mission Accomplished or Mission Frakked Up?
Harvey[1] was born in Liverpool in 1968. He has a brother, Timothy Harvey who is a music teacher in Chester. His first serious attempt as a playwright was in 1987. Fuelled by the attraction of a £1,000 first prize to young writers from the Liverpool Playhouse, the result was The Cherry Blossom Tree, a garish blend of suicide, murder and nuns. This effort won him the National Girobank Young Writer ...more
More about Jonathan Harvey...