Start by marking “Nobody” as Want to Read:
Nobody

Nobody

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,939 Ratings  ·  549 Reviews
There are people in this world who are Nobody. No one sees them. No one notices them. They live their lives under the radar, forgotten as soon as you turn away.

That’s why they make the perfect assassins.

The Institute finds these people when they’re young and takes them away for training. But an untrained Nobody is a threat to their organization. And threats must be elimin
Published January 22nd 2013 by EgmontUSA

To ask other readers questions about Nobody, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nobody

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverProdigy by Marie Lu
YA Novels of 2013
199th out of 1,520 books — 10,833 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
355th out of 2,462 books — 12,431 voters

More lists with this book...

Shambhawi P.
Feb 22, 2013 Shambhawi P. rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Readers who want to explore their masochistic side
Recommended to Shambhawi by: the said masochistic side
*Minor Spoilers Ahead if that is even possible because everything can be completely guessed in the first few pages*

I deserve an award in masochism self-control. I finished this ENTIRE book without tearing a single page out and throwing it on the wall. I cannot even begin - at all - how I ever thought I would like this!

Oh, wait! I know! I exactly know!
"There are people in this world who are Nobody. No one sees them. No one notices them. They live their lives under the radar, forgotten as soon as
Giselle
Eff this! This is NOT going to be the last book I read before the end of the world.

DNFing. If I survive, I might continue.
Lili
Nov 21, 2012 Lili rated it it was ok
Shelves: disappointing

NOBODY was not exactly what I expected. While Barnes delivered yet another good story that required an advanced imagination, the character development really ruined the book for me.

NOBODY proved to be an incredible world full of science. Everything was described with the use of energy. In this world, there are four types of people. First, there are the Normals. Normals have the ability to mark others and be marked. They have normal energy exchanged when interacting with each other, have
Nina
Apr 02, 2013 Nina rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya, science-fiction
Good GOD, I GIVE UP! If you know me at all, you will realize how big of a deal it is for me to NOT finish a book, but seriously, UGH. I could not make it through this one. I made it a little over halfway, then started skimming, then a little more... then I skipped to the last page. If it wasn't from the library, I'd probably throw it across the room. Sorry, I don't understand how there are good reviews of this. I'm not usually this mean, but REALLY?!? How did this get published? I have way too m ...more
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
Okay usually I don't DNF so soon into a book, but the writing style just isn't for me. The pacing is really off. It just jumps from POV to POV and i'm LIKE WUT IS HAPPENING. I mean I even took notes while I read the first 60 pages.

here are my receipts:
 photo Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 4.27.30 PM_zpswnwpkv0f.png

when i have to take notes after reading 60 pages...there's a problem. everything was so muddled. it's just a really bad case of "This is book is NOT FOR ME"

also this thought process of one of the main characters, Nix, a supposedly super talented,
Aimee Meester
Nov 30, 2015 Aimee Meester rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015, hated, thriller
You know what, no. I can't do this. Instalove and flat pathetic characters and angst and whining and overdramatic writing. No thank you.
Cindy
Aug 08, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Imagine you were born wrong. Imagine that no matter how hard you tried, no one ever listened to you and seemed to forget your existence the minute you left their sight. And, hell, even when you were in their line of vision, they never really saw you. Imagine that the only thing you've ever wanted was to be loved. To matter. But you won't. You'll never matter to anyone. Ever.

That's a pretty hefty pill to swallow for a fifteen year old. But Claire isn't one to give up. Claire isn't the kind of gir
Sarai
Feb 12, 2013 Sarai rated it did not like it
Ugh. This might be a good book for Twilight fans who enjoyed the dynamic of the abusive relationship between Bella and Edward.

This book is about a boy assassin, Nix, who is assigned to kill Claire. So he tries to shoot her but can't, then he tries to strangle her but can't. Then he tells her to kill him but she can't. Then they decide they belong together.

I also got tired of hearing how invisible and nobody-ish they both were. It was like, okay, I get it already!

I got about 1/3 of the way in a
Cassidy
Apr 04, 2016 Cassidy rated it it was ok
Let me first say, the only reason I gave this book a 2 star review was because I didn't actually finish it, so I thought maybe I should give good/okay credit to the part I couldn't force myself to read.

I created special shelves just because of this book: Gag Me and Eye Roller.

"But...but how can you not like this book so much when there are so many great reviews for it?" I can just hear you asking. I'll tell you why:

First I'll begin with the good things:
1. Cover
2. Beginning (Good intrigue with as
Howdy YAL
Feb 28, 2013 Howdy YAL rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Nobody (ha, ha, ha)
Recommended to Howdy YAL by: Myself (unfortunately)
To see full review click here: http://yalbookbriefs.blogspot.com/201...

Assassins seem to be a popular trend in YA these days. Kristen White recently released Mind Games (a book about sister assassins) and now there's Jennifer Lynn Barnes's Nobody. The book itself has a very interesting summary-ignored individuals becoming assassins. However, what it fails to tell you is you might need your anti-depression meds while you read it.

Oh, dearie me.

This book hit a lot of personal buttons for me. I wasn
Apr 05, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it
This book hit all the right marks for me! I love dystopians, especially when it combines other elements with it. This one had a paranormal flavor to it with a bit of sci-fi, and I really loved it! It was a great concept with great characters!

So this society is exactly like our own, except there is a secret organization that is behind the scenes. They call themselves "The Society." They were founded in the 50s and are mostly a scientific entity. They have discovered that all beings use energy in
Dayla
Jul 28, 2015 Dayla added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish, dnf
This was so incredibly annoying. Blurb on the back: "Sigh-worthy romance." My ass. Did we read the same book? In what world does a person go from trying to kill someone on one page, to thinking that that person is everything that matters on the next page, then kissing them on the next page? Oh, and excusing the fact that this dude WAS TRYING TO MURDER YOU. This is way too melodramatic and way too cheesy.

I'm seriously getting disappointed with my book choices lately. Maybe I should sit down for
Taschima Cullen
Feb 11, 2013 Taschima Cullen rated it liked it
Click here for a chance to win NOBODY and EVERY OTHER DAY, both by Jennifer L. Barnes.

What can I say about this title? The ideas in it were interesting (Nobodies and Nulls), some of it lagged on the beginning (plus it was a tad depressing) but it quickly picked up it's pace once our two main characters meet. The cover may be as easily dismissible as a Nobody, but the content grabs as much attention as a full on Null. Overall Nobody is a good title but for me it didn't make me think "fireworks!"
Iris
Feb 21, 2016 Iris rated it did not like it
Nope.
Marga
"You don't leave something that matters. You don't throw that away. "

Wait. What did I just read?

Let's see. This started with Nix. He's a Nobody, a person that you can't see and something that was so not special.

Then there's Claire. All her life she lived in the background. She has no friends. She always go unnoticed even when she made sure to get attention.

Nix was working for the Society. He killed Nobodies because they were a threat to the people. When someone can't see you, you became dang
Melissa
Jan 21, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it
This is a book I have no doubt will get mixed reviews. It's a book that in some ways is hard to take and depressing. It's also a book that is uplifting and encouraging. It's very psychological and that is why I think it will be a hit with some and a miss with others.

It does start out quite depressing. We have all had the feeling that no one cares, that we are invisible (or want to be), that we just can't be seen by the people we care the most about. Take that emotion and multiply it by at least
Jenn
Feb 02, 2013 Jenn rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, library
I'm pretty sure this book wasn't worth wasting my Saturday off over. I hate saying this, because I don't like to think of reading a book as a waste of time and I don't like it when I don't click with a book.
I enjoyed the science fiction-y aspects of Nobody - that there are people living hidden among us with special powers - and the main characters' plot to uncover the secret plans of a shady institution. That sort of thing will probably never get old for me, no matter how many different books i
Kyra
This book is about Nobodies, people who don't really exist in the eyes of the world. They can be affected by people, but can't affect others.

Which basically just sums up this book for me. I didn't care. I didn't care about the main heroes. I didn't care about the plot. I didn't care about the 'blossoming' relationship.

The feeling toward the heroes wasn't a Clary-and-Jace level of dislike. Just a mild irritation that fluttered away the moment I put the book down.

Other than weak, melodramatic, o
Kaitlyn
May 25, 2013 Kaitlyn rated it it was ok
I've really enjoyed some of Jennifer Lynn Barnes's other books, so I was hoping it meant I'd like this one. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get into it at all. I couldn't stand Claire or Nix, and the insta-love made me want to gag.

Claire has got to be one of the most depressing protagonists I've ever read about. She has zero self-esteem and thinks she's totally pathetic. I get that this was important to the plot, but it just made her terribly unlikeable as a character. For example, when Nix break
Jan 18, 2013 Jenny rated it it was ok
Meh. 2.5? I liked the concept of Nobody, but the execution didn't do it for me.

Claire is angsty and Nix is self-loathing, which is understandable. But the story spends a little too much time on that and not enough time on the cool stuff like assassins and conspiracies and action. The romance is an insta-love and, though it makes a little sense that they'd each be immediately drawn into a desire for some kind of an intimacy with the only other person in the world who can actually see them, remem
LailaBC
I want to congratulate myself for managing to finish this one. Like Nix and Claire reading this book made me want to fade away as well...it was depressing because NOBODY's are depressing creatures. Almost every page tells of how insignificant Nix and Claire feels. I get it but it is just too much that I couldn't even bring myself to feel sorry for them.

Less than nothing. Less than air. Their mantra give this book a dark suicidal aura. The author can write but her characters has no development w
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
US/CAN Giveaway for a hardcover of Nobody and a paperback copy of Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes - Ends 22/02/13. http://bookpassionforlife.blogspot.co...

3.5 Stars!

Nobody follows the life of Claire and Nix. Claire has been invisible all her life, people don't take notice of her and people seem to forget all about her. She walks the halls of school going through day to day life, knowing no-one cares for her - even her parents have to remind themselves that she's there. It's a sad life
Feb 25, 2013 Jenny rated it liked it
Rating 3.5/5

Nobody is a bit of a strange read, almost as though the story itself takes on the qualities of the Nobodies themselves, becoming something our minds can’t quite wrap themselves around and hovering in a sort of intangible state where we’re never clearly able to determine how we feel about it. A Nobody is someone who goes essentially unnoticed, taking up space but never truly filling it as not a single person around them recognizes they’re there; not truly invisible but for all intents
Maria
Claire, at 16 is invisible and very forgettable. As in her parents have been forgetting about her for years. Then one day, a boy really sees her... to bad his pointing a gun at her. Nix has been trained as an assassin since he was a child, he has the power to literally disappear and he's the perfect killer. Until he's sent to kill Claire.

Why I started this book: I'm on a Barnes streak. I love her characters and her world building.

Why I finished it: It's a easy teen read, but I didn't like this w
Haley
Mar 01, 2015 Haley rated it it was ok
It was okay overall. I liked the very end, even though it was predictable. I was very confused in the middle and the end but my questions were answered. I'm very glad I'm done the book though.
♡Julalicious Book Paradise♡
May 17, 2015 ♡Julalicious Book Paradise♡ rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, signed-books
rating: 3.5/5

review to come.
Justin
Jan 25, 2013 Justin rated it really liked it
I had discussed Nobody with a good friend of mine that had read it before me, and I was a little worried about what I might get into when I started reading it. Especially after hearing that there are some aspects to it that I don't usually really care for, but I was really surprised by just how much I ended up enjoying it. I was still slightly annoyed by a few things that I will get into later in the review, but I felt like in the end it all really worked.

One of the main thing I was worried out
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

There was an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer back in season one called “Out of Sight, Out of Mind” that dealt with the idea of people disappearing if no one one ever noticed them. A girl that was totally ignored became invisible and ended up carted away by a mysterious government agency. Fast forward to 2013 and Jennifer Lynn Barnes has taken the idea of invisible teens and a shady institute and spun it into her book NOBODY.

Like the Buffy episode wh
Bonnie (A Backwards Story)
The premise for NOBODY is unique, and upon reading it, even more so. Unlike previous books by Jennifer Lynn Barnes, which deal with creatures seen before such as werewolves, the author now shares her own creation, Nobodies. No, we're not talking Kingdom Hearts-esque Nobodies here. We're talking people that are blink-and-you-miss-them. The book's tag-line? "There are people in this world who are Nobody. No one sees them. No one notices them. They live their lives under the radar, forgotten as soo ...more
Nafiza
Mar 15, 2013 Nafiza rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, alabooks
The novel operates on the assumption that people, not just teens, will empathize and relate to the feeling of being invisible, of being a moth in a world full of butterflies. In this day and age where individualized beings are celebrated and sought after, think Lady GaGa, being invisible, being a Nobody, is feared. All those stories about traversing the hallways in high schools ignored by your peers – anyone can relate to that. In Nobody Barnes creates a world where energy is the determining fac ...more
Another book like this 3 18 Jun 27, 2014 02:48PM
Nobody... 9 43 Jan 22, 2014 05:48PM
  • Doomed
  • Notes from Ghost Town
  • The Loop
  • The Wrap-Up List
  • Revolution 19 (Revolution 19, #1)
  • Furious
  • Spirit and Dust (Goodnight Family #2)
  • The 13th Sign
  • Vengeance Bound
  • PODs (PODs, #1)
  • The Last Academy
  • The Rules (Project Paper Doll, #1)
  • Touch of Death (Touch of Death, #1)
  • Dualed (Dualed, #1)
  • The Modified (The Biotics Trilogy, #1)
  • The 39 Deaths of Adam Strand
  • Tandem (Many-Worlds, #1)
  • Broken (Broken, #1)
Jennifer Lynn Barnes (who mostly goes by Jen) was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma. She has been, in turn, a competitive cheerleader, a volleyball player, a dancer, a debutante, a primate cognition researcher, a teen model, a comic book geek, and a lemur aficionado. She's been writing for as long as she can remember, finished her first full book (which she now refers to as a "practice book" and which none ...more
More about Jennifer Lynn Barnes...

“You can't tell me I matter and then leave like I don't.” 31 likes