Start by marking “The Evil Friendship” as Want to Read:
The Evil Friendship

The Evil Friendship

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The moment of truth…

Mary Drew knelt down on the rug. She leaned forward, her mouth within an inch of Martha’s.

“l love you,” she said. “I’ve loved you from the very moment we met. But I won’t kiss you. I’m so close my lips are almost on yours, but I won’t kiss you.”

Martha looked deeply into the other girl’s eyes for a very long time. “l love you, too,” she said.

Then hungril
Published January 2012 by Prologue Books (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about The Evil Friendship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Evil Friendship

Michael
Simultaneos Insanity / Folie Simultanee

Vin Packer (Marijane Meaker, *1927) gilt seit Veröffentlichung ihres Romans „Spring Fire“ als Begründerin der lesbian pulp fiction. Allerdings ist diese Genre-Bezeichnung stark irreführend, denn THE EVIL FRIENDSHIP (1958) ist ein durchaus gut geschriebener und spannender psychologischer Roman.

(Da es sich um einen Krimi handelt, hier der Hinweis:
Die folgenden Passagen enthalten SPOILER)

Im Zentrum stehen die jungen Außenseiterinnen Mary Drew Edlin und Martha
Rebecca Martin
I actually am hesitating between 4 and 5 stars for this one. I had no idea until I got to the end of this book that it was written in 1958. It is so strongly written and imagined--and then taking into account it was written in 1958--that I feel like giving it five stars for its author's bravery. In any case, I realized quickly that the book is based on the Parker-Hulme case in New Zealand. I've read Parker and Hulme by Glamuzina and Laurie and I've seen Heavenly Creatures but I feel this book do ...more
Rachael Eyre
Like most people, I originally discovered the Parker Hulme case through Heavenly Creatures. The case is such a fascinating and unusual one, it's been covered by an almost unprecedented number of books, both fiction and non fiction. I'd heard of The Evil Friendship, but since it was an old lesbian pulp, reasoned it must have fallen out of print years ago. That's reckoning without Kindle's uncanny ability to breath life into seemingly dead genres!

In this instance, they really shouldn't have bother
Heath Lowrance
Mary Drew and Martha are teenage girls at a posh English school, both of them lonely, both of them fueled by vivid imaginations. When they meet, the connection is instantaneous and intense, and it isn't long before they develop a "significant relationship". The passion they have for each other eventually leads to ruin, and murder.

Vin Packer is the pen name of Marijane Meeker, one of the unsung heroes (heroines?) of the paperback original heyday of the '50's, and is credited with starting the so-
Elizabeth
It's a lesbian pulp fiction book (circa 1958) dramatizing the Parker-Hulme murder case -- what more do you need to know?
Kenny
Unreal characters make for an ultimately failed plot. Novel begins with murder trial and alternates between trial testimony in the "present" and narration of events in the "past". Ambitious novel, but it just doesn't work. Not worth reading.
Dangerosa
It took me a few chapters before I realized that I knew the story. It's the same case that Heavenly Creatures was based on.
Victor Whitman
It seems like a long time since I found a really good writer. Looking forward to more.
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Aaron
Aaron added it
Jan 17, 2015
Jude the Obscure
Jude the Obscure marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Gef
Gef marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Katy Wood
Katy Wood marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Brittany Orolin
Brittany Orolin marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Douglas Dean
Douglas Dean marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Weird Kid
Weird Kid marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Marijane Meaker (born May 27, 1927) is an American novelist and short story writer in several genres using different pen names. From 1952 to 1969 she wrote twenty mystery and crime novels as Vin Packer, including Spring Fire which is credited with launching the genre of lesbian pulp fiction (although few of Packer's books address homosexuality or feature gay characters). Using her own observations ...more
More about Vin Packer...
Spring Fire The Twisted Ones Whisper His Sin/The Evil Friendship The Girl On the Bestseller List 5:45 to Suburbia