Not Even There

Not Even There

4.6 of 5 stars 4.60  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A short story approx. 5,000 words

Roger met Libby for the first time and would do anything to be with her. She's beautiful and popular. He and his best friend are not. Quite the opposite. But then his friend tells him a secret and Roger's whole life goes into a tailspin that he may never get out of.

It could be a matter of life and death.
Published April 28th 2012 (first published November 2nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Not Even There, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Even There

Kirkus MacGowan
Told in first person point of view, Sharp’s character made a few comments that drew me in from the beginning. As an avid mystery fan, figuring out the plot is first on my list. My mind swirled with possibilities.

Sharp paints a vivid picture and displays a deep understanding of his character’s psychology. The reader sees directly into the mind of the main character and feels what he feels.

The understanding of how the teenage outsider’s mind works was simply amazing. I hate to admit this, but it b...more
Maggie
"Betrayal is sneaky. Sometimes, a person doesn't know they've deceived someone until it's too late, or maybe they do and don’t want to admit to it. If a person betrays someone in front of their face, it's a safe bet that they never gave a shit any way. At least that’s what I thought."

In this short story by Sharp, sixteen year old Roger plays a dual role in a tragic incident of betrayal that is based on an age old triangle, two men who love the same woman. I can still remember all the days of unc...more
Kayla Curry
It's amazing how much I was pulled into this story in such a short time!

Most of the characters in short stories I read are so one-dimensional. Usually I would compare it to watching a tv show for the first time and not really getting to know the characters before some other show comes on. That did not happen here. I was totally invested in these characters. It took no time at all for me to want to know them.

Sharp took a short story and expanded the view, almost as if I read a novella in a short...more
Richelle
"A Story of Friendship Gone Wrong" is the subtitle to this wonderful short story. Roger and David are unpopular kids in high school. They are best friends, basically brothers. Then there is Libby, a very beautiful and popular girl at their school. After Roger and David realize they both like her, their relationship goes downhill. Way downhill. What will happen between them will change their lives forever. The story captivated me from the beginning. The only problem with it was that I wanted more...more
C.J. Listro (Sarcasm & Lemons)
Read more: http://cjlistro.blogspot.com/2012/05/...

I’ve been meaning to read Sharp’s work for a long time because he’s a lovely person and a very supportive writerly friend. I’m glad I started with this one. It really showcases Sharp’s skill with voice. Not everyone has that talent. Some people can write excellent plots or worlds or characters, but their writing sounds flat or generic. Or just doesn’t fit the character. Sharp’s writing is Roger. You can feel Roger in every word. There’s clearly...more
Thomas Winship
In "Not Even There," J Scott Sharp proves that, while he may not be there, he is most assuredly here. This tragic tale weaves together the complicated strands of teen angst, friendship, dysfunctional relationships, love, lust, and obsession in a masterful package that is fraught with tension and emotion.
Noree Cosper
The Good:
Love Triangle: Ah yes, we've seen them everywhere. However, Mr. Sharp provides a fresh view of the love triangle. This time the story comes from the point of view of one of the pursuers not the pursued. I like the take because it let you see in the eyes of someone else.

Main Character: I really enjoyed Roger. I could put myself into his shoes. It really took me back to being in high school (Not sure if that is a good thing). I could also relate to his dilemma over Libby.

The Plot: It was...more
Kayleigh Grian
*Disclaimer: I did receive a free copy of the novel in order to review. This however did not influence my review in any way.*

Great Twist on the Teenage Love Triangle!

In the short story, Not Even There, Roger is one of the students that seem to fade into the background at school, and so is his best friend, David. They’ve been friends for years and have been through so much together that it seems nothing can break the bond they’ve forged. In fact, they are more like brothers of sorts than friends...more
Joanna Doster
Title: Not Even There
Author: J. Scott Sharp

Review by Joanna Lee Doster

Rating: 5 stars

EVOCATIVE OF EAST OF EDEN WITH TEENAGE ANGST AT ITS BEST

J. Scott Sharp delivers a powerful punch with his exquisite portrayal of teenage pathos and pain. Wow! What a gifted writer with his laser-like focus aimed at Roger and David's longstanding friendship as it unravels in a horrible way over the "love triangle" with Libby. His artful writing harkens us back to our own teenage years fraught with insecurity and...more
Alicia Sheehy
J. Scott Sharp's imagery and use of the senses made me feel I was right there. As if the author had painted a picture with his words, making it easy to see the settings and characters.

I was almot immediately able to identify with the characters. Hurting for them when they hurt and hoping they could at least have greater hope if not happiness.

Though my stomach jolted when I realized the ending, I was glad he left the characters at that point. Leaving the reader to contemplate what could happen....more
Yvonne

I was so pulled into this story!! It was told in a totally different view. How far will friends go?? So much told in a short story Great Job!!
Conny
Very short story, but awesome !!
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Ks
Ks marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Patti
Patti marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2013
April
April marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2013
Lynn Hallbrooks
Lynn Hallbrooks marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2012
Nikki Jefford
Nikki Jefford marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2012
I have been a writer all of my life, but finally decided to lose my mind and do something about it at 46 years old. I am currently hard at work on a contemporary suspense/mystery novel entitled "Marble Summer Riot"

I have a degree in psychology. It qualifies me for nothing, but pretending that I know why you are acting the way you are.
More about J. Scott Sharp...
The List of Five The List of Five: A Beginning Three Blackbirds Cold-blooded