Start by marking “Not Even There” as Want to Read:
Not Even There

Not Even There

A short story approx. 5,000 words

Roger met Libby for the first time and would do anything to be with her. She's beautiful and popular. He and his best friend are not. Quite the opposite. But then his friend tells him a secret and Roger's whole life goes into a tailspin that he may never get out of.

It could be a matter of life and death.
Published April 28th 2012 (first published November 2nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Not Even There, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Even There

Kirkus MacGowan
May 16, 2012 Kirkus MacGowan rated it it was amazing
Told in first person point of view, Sharp’s character made a few comments that drew me in from the beginning. As an avid mystery fan, figuring out the plot is first on my list. My mind swirled with possibilities.

Sharp paints a vivid picture and displays a deep understanding of his character’s psychology. The reader sees directly into the mind of the main character and feels what he feels.

The understanding of how the teenage outsider’s mind works was simply amazing. I hate to admit this, but it b
May 08, 2012 Maggie rated it liked it
"Betrayal is sneaky. Sometimes, a person doesn't know they've deceived someone until it's too late, or maybe they do and don’t want to admit to it. If a person betrays someone in front of their face, it's a safe bet that they never gave a shit any way. At least that’s what I thought."

In this short story by Sharp, sixteen year old Roger plays a dual role in a tragic incident of betrayal that is based on an age old triangle, two men who love the same woman. I can still remember all the days of unc
Kayla Curry
Aug 07, 2012 Kayla Curry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
It's amazing how much I was pulled into this story in such a short time!

Most of the characters in short stories I read are so one-dimensional. Usually I would compare it to watching a tv show for the first time and not really getting to know the characters before some other show comes on. That did not happen here. I was totally invested in these characters. It took no time at all for me to want to know them.

Sharp took a short story and expanded the view, almost as if I read a novella in a short
May 08, 2012 Richelle rated it it was amazing
"A Story of Friendship Gone Wrong" is the subtitle to this wonderful short story. Roger and David are unpopular kids in high school. They are best friends, basically brothers. Then there is Libby, a very beautiful and popular girl at their school. After Roger and David realize they both like her, their relationship goes downhill. Way downhill. What will happen between them will change their lives forever. The story captivated me from the beginning. The only problem with it was that I wanted more ...more
C.J. Sarcasm & Lemons
May 17, 2012 C.J. Sarcasm & Lemons rated it really liked it
Read more:

I’ve been meaning to read Sharp’s work for a long time because he’s a lovely person and a very supportive writerly friend. I’m glad I started with this one. It really showcases Sharp’s skill with voice. Not everyone has that talent. Some people can write excellent plots or worlds or characters, but their writing sounds flat or generic. Or just doesn’t fit the character. Sharp’s writing is Roger. You can feel Roger in every word. There’s clearly
Thomas Winship
Jun 10, 2012 Thomas Winship rated it it was amazing
In "Not Even There," J Scott Sharp proves that, while he may not be there, he is most assuredly here. This tragic tale weaves together the complicated strands of teen angst, friendship, dysfunctional relationships, love, lust, and obsession in a masterful package that is fraught with tension and emotion.
Robert Zimmermann
May 05, 2012 Robert Zimmermann rated it liked it
review to come
Noree Cosper
May 21, 2012 Noree Cosper rated it really liked it
Shelves: occult, horror
The Good:
Love Triangle: Ah yes, we've seen them everywhere. However, Mr. Sharp provides a fresh view of the love triangle. This time the story comes from the point of view of one of the pursuers not the pursued. I like the take because it let you see in the eyes of someone else.

Main Character: I really enjoyed Roger. I could put myself into his shoes. It really took me back to being in high school (Not sure if that is a good thing). I could also relate to his dilemma over Libby.

The Plot: It was
Kayleigh Grian
Jun 17, 2012 Kayleigh Grian rated it it was amazing
*Disclaimer: I did receive a free copy of the novel in order to review. This however did not influence my review in any way.*

Great Twist on the Teenage Love Triangle!

In the short story, Not Even There, Roger is one of the students that seem to fade into the background at school, and so is his best friend, David. They’ve been friends for years and have been through so much together that it seems nothing can break the bond they’ve forged. In fact, they are more like brothers of sorts than friends
Joanna Doster
Jun 25, 2012 Joanna Doster rated it it was amazing
Title: Not Even There
Author: J. Scott Sharp

Review by Joanna Lee Doster

Rating: 5 stars

J. Scott Sharp delivers a powerful punch with his exquisite portrayal of teenage pathos and pain. Wow! What a gifted writer with his laser-like focus aimed at Roger and David's longstanding friendship as it unravels in a horrible way over the "love triangle" with Libby. His artful writing harkens us back to our own teenage years fraught with insecurity and
Alicia Sheehy
Mar 27, 2013 Alicia Sheehy rated it it was amazing
J. Scott Sharp's imagery and use of the senses made me feel I was right there. As if the author had painted a picture with his words, making it easy to see the settings and characters.

I was almot immediately able to identify with the characters. Hurting for them when they hurt and hoping they could at least have greater hope if not happiness.

Though my stomach jolted when I realized the ending, I was glad he left the characters at that point. Leaving the reader to contemplate what could happen.
Sep 17, 2012 Yvonne rated it it was amazing

I was so pulled into this story!! It was told in a totally different view. How far will friends go?? So much told in a short story Great Job!!
Oct 23, 2016 Conny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
Very short story, but awesome !!
Pamela marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
J. Sharp
Mar 01, 2015 J. Sharp added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Ks marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Natashja Van den berg
Natashja Van den berg rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2013
Jenna marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Patti marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2013
Joe Simmons
Joe Simmons rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2013
April marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2013
Roy Huff
Roy Huff rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2013
Brandon Luffman
Brandon Luffman rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2012
Lynn Hallbrooks
Lynn Hallbrooks marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2012
Rose Cooper
Rose Cooper rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2012
Nikki Jefford
Nikki Jefford marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2012
I have been a writer all of my life, but finally decided to lose my mind and do something about it at 46 years old. I am currently hard at work on a contemporary suspense/mystery novel entitled "Marble Summer Riot"

I have a degree in psychology. It qualifies me for nothing, but pretending that I know why you are acting the way you are.
More about J. Scott Sharp...