Start by marking “Die Weber von Saramyr (Der verschlungene Pfad, #1)” as Want to Read:
Die Weber von Saramyr (Der verschlungene Pfad, #1)

Die Weber von Saramyr (Braided Path #1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  732 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Das Königreich von Saramyr ist rein. Die Weber haben dafür gesorgt. Gnadenlos werden alle "Irrkinder" getötet. Ihre unnatürlichen magischen Kräfte sind einfach viel zu gefährlich. Die Weber herrschen in Hohen Häusern. Sie sind die letzte Bastion gegen das Böse - bis sie feststellen, dass auch das Kind der Königin ein Irrkind ist. Niemand wird sich von einem solchen Kind re ...more
Published December 14th 2004 by Bastei Lübbe

To ask other readers questions about Die Weber von Saramyr, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die Weber von Saramyr

Algernon
[9/10] one of the highlights of the year for me. I've been hearing about this series for years, and I'm glad I have finally got around to start it.
The story has an Oriental feel, closer in style to Empire series by Janny Wurts and R A Salvatore rather than the more lyrical Tales of the Otori by Hearne or Initiate Brother by Sean Russell. It has the epic scope, the grand vistas and the political infighting. It's strenghts I consider to be
- the magic system : powerful and dangerous, unpredictable
Riki
I'm not sure why I seem to be in disagreement with most of the reviews, but this book simply didn't captivate me. I forced my way through this book through sheer stubborness, and only for about 5-10% of the book did I feel like it had any entertainment value. I gave this 2 stars instead of 1, because I didn't HATE it, but I definitely didn't like it. I also felt that the author has great potential as a writer.

The story had great potential. The setting and plot was reminiscent of X-Men set in an
Vladimir Stamenov
The book is fantastic in terms of plot,character development and world building and features an entirely female lead cast.These are the first female characters that I actually care about and aren't just some love interest with boobs for the lead character like in other fantasy books.I highly reccommend it to any fantasy fan,who isn't afraid of a little more gore,likes political strife and intricate plots and people who like japan because the book has a Japanese feel to it.
Cecile
The weaver of this story shouldn't have tried to follow so many threads, because as a result it's all tangled up.

The main flaw is that there is no clear point of view : you think you follow the thoughts of a character, and then it can jump to another character in the same paragraph. It's very confusing. At first I read back to see if I had missed something, until I realised it was useless and I just read on without trying to see images of the scenes. It's like we have the point of view of the au
James
Oh Chris, Chris, Chris. What have you done? Where has your brilliant writing gone? Your enthralling plots? Your captivating characters? Where?! I can honnestly say, that if I had read this and your Ketty Jay books without knowing who wrote them, I would say they were written by completely different and disparate authors; one on the verge of euphoric brilliance and the other on the poor side of average-bad. What happened?! Two Stars.

Plot : Two Stars

Long winded. Complicated. Distant. Alien. Cold
Maggie Felder
Chris Wooding is excellent, as always. I love that he uses an entirely different vocabulary, so you really feel that you're in a different world.
Sorcha
First book in the "The Braided Path" trilogy.

Here the fantasy empire ruling the land of Saramyr has an oriental flavour, a level of technology that allows rifles and bombs and a communications system relying on magic--the sorcery of the dreaded, masked Weavers.

By manipulating the magical Weave of the world, a kind of fantasy cyberspace, Weavers can not only send messages over any distance but manipulate minds, fight intangibly and kill. The use of the Weaving, and their masks, makes the weavers
Yui
I didn't hate it but the story is too scattered for me to connect with the characters. The are some parts that bothered me greatly like when the Weavers were first introduced, their atrocities are too public yet no one not even the empress dare stop it. I didn't buy the 'they are too important now to dismiss' because no one should have let them get into power in the first place with all their evil bared openly for all to see. Maybe one or half of the greedy nobles but all of them? and for all th ...more
Sarah Castillo
This book just couldn't grab me.

I never could quite figure out how the magic system worked, which was important because the magic system was always being used. I just couldn't put together how it was described with how it worked. I guess I'm too used to the Sanderson style magic system, where things are a little more firm.

The characters started out very compelling, but as the story carried on they started doing more and more uncharacteristic things without any clear description on their thought
Ruth
c2004: Far eastern like setting with the weavers as the bad guys as opposed to some earlier spec fic when weavers were the good guys. Quite nasty they are too - straying into my real dislike of using acts of cruelty and brutality on children to illustrate just how bad these characters are. Surely there must be other plot devices out there to point out just how bad these characters are? And I am not talking about rape which is almost on a par. Anyways..rant over. I didn't really manage to "connec ...more
Jen
This book was recommended to me by the fine folks here on GoodReads when I requested some. I was excited to start into a new series and I hoped that it would live up to all of the expectations of previous series I had known and loved.

The Weavers of Saramyr opens instantly into a very political world where people are skilled at playing at the politics of court. It then goes on to have a healthy dose of action to counter subtle political intrigues, and wraps it all up inside an ancient oriental {I
Sofia
What an amazing book.
It all starts out in a beautifully created world. It's not your run-of-the-mill pseudo-medieval europe, it is a whole new society, with quite a bit of oriental influences, and well tought out, enough for you to not feel cheated.
But all is not sunshine and rainbows: the book is grim and gritty and quite a bit oppressive, even. Our heroes don't have it easy, and the villains are pretty sick. There are vicious battles, people getting slashed open or blown apart left and right.
William
In many ways the first novel in the Braided Path trilogy is a fairly standard epic fantasy novel but it does have a few distinctive touches. It isn't the first epic fantasy series to be set in a world largely inspired by feudal Japan, but it's still a nice change from the default medieval European setting. Saramyr is an interesting setting and the world-building is generally convincing, although occasionally some things are a bit under-explained, for example as the series goes on and the plot ex ...more
Pauline Ross
This is the first in the 'Braided Path' trilogy (the others are 'The Skein of Lament' and 'The Ascendancy Veil'). It's a full-on fantasy with a vaguely eastern feel (names like Kaiku and Mishani, writing with brushes instead of pens) but still totally original. There are numerous point of view characters, and the story jumps from one to the other within chapters, sometimes without warning, which can be disconcerting.

The opening draws you in immediately, with a brilliant first line ("Kaiku was tw
Carina
When I first read this book it was a five star read, since then I have re-read it so many times it is probably a four star read - but as this is the first time reading whilst on this site it gets the full five stars.

I think Chris Wooding was one of my favourite authors as a teenager, I really like his writing style though I can see why, in this book, people dislike it because it can be almost overly descriptive. The best way to describe this books setting is as a kind of feudal Japan or China wi
Femke
Ik heb de laatste tijd weinig geluk met de fantasy die ik lees. Dit boek begon qua verhaalidee nog wel leuk maar 1) de personages zijn zo vlak en hetzelfde als maar enigszins kan 2) teveel cliches 3) teveel opeens heel erg beeldende beschrijvingen van geweld op een manier die totaal niet bij het verhaal past. Aan de andere kant is het wel soort van spannend en blijf je wel lezen.

Natuurlijk ga ik de rest van de serie wel uit lezen maar ik ben benieuwd of het veel beter wordt...
Salimbol
[3 and 1/2 stars]
Very solid start to a promising fantasy series. Pluses include the strong world-building, where the author appears to be drawing from Western, Middle Eastern and Asian history and mythology (and Asian horror, too, unless, I'm mis-reading the creepy shin-shin). He also has strong descriptive powers, and I really appreciated the preponderance of major female characters, not to mention his willingness to have bad things happen to good people in service of the plot and their journey
Nicholas Mariner
Had no idea what this book was or what it was supposed to be, but I grabbed it off the library shelf while browsing and was very pleasantly surprised. It's an interesting world (not Northern European in setting) and features a lead cast of almost all women. Very good book and I look forward to continuing the trilogy.
Margaret Kosakiewicz
The book was interesting. It was not the best I've read and certainly not the worst. Original story and setting, likeable characters, well written though the style is a bit strange. Not in a bad way, just enough to notice. The only real complaint I have is that it ended in such a way as to finish one complete story. There really wasn't much of a "hanger" to make me rush out and buy the next book. I'll probably ready it eventually.
Derek
An interesting start to this series of books. The series was included on a list of Asian fantasy, but there was very little in plot, characters, or descriptions to convey an Asian theme. I'm curious why it was included in that list. Regardless, the plot was unusual and intriguing. I was also struck by the fact that composition of characters. The book had something of an "ensemble cast," rather than one main protagonist. And every single major protagonist was female. The major antagonist was male ...more
Thomas Olsen
Came off as a bit puzzling when I first read it. All came together after reading the second one. Great stuff.
Sailledolfijn
Set in medieval asia
Colin
I had to stop reading this about 140 pages in. Totally formulaic and trite, with repetitive writing...I was trying to get over that, but then there was a "greasy-villian-queen-consort-rapes-serving-girl-on-dining-
table-and-wife-is-totally-turned-on-despite-herself" Harlequinn romance type scene. Bleck. Really disappointing, since I picked this up because I really really liked "Storm Thief," Wooding's recent young adult novel. Guess that's his strong area.
Benjamin
Weavers is a somewhat standard fantasy (at first) with a decent political component in a setting reminiscent of Japan. I put four stars, but the true rating is probably closer to 3.5. I just didn't get into this one as easily as Wooding's later stuff like The Fade or the Ketty jay books. Part of that might be because the characters and world just didn't seem as interesting to me. Would definitely recommend it to fans of Wooding.
Heather
Mar 18, 2009 Heather is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most horrific books I've ever read. I'm not finished but it's really hard to read this book. Getting past the descriptions of murder and rape, especially of children, makes me want to be sick. The story is good and the use of horror clearly defines the "goodies" from the "badies". It's just really difficult to push through sometimes when the author describes the vices of the Weavers.
Clare Wolf
Very good

Since it is the beginning to a trilogy, it naturally takes a while for fall in love with and understand the characters. However, it does not take long. I am excited to read the next book and I definitely recommend it to thrill seekers of open minds!
D-day
The Weavers of Saramyr is an enjoyable novel from Chris Wooding. Although the writing is a little pedestrian, the plot is interesting and the world-building is well done. In fact the world building is the novel's main strength. Saramyr is reminiscent of an East Asian culture as opposed to the usual North/Central European style ambiance of most fantasy- it's a nice change.
Brennan Griffin
I just couldn't maintain interest in this one. He switched a bit too often between viewpoints when only one of the characters really interested me. I slogged through, but it didn't do much for me. I'm willing to keep trying - I picked up the first couple of chapters of a later book and was instantly sold, so I'm hoping he gets better in the series.
Robert Duffy
Aug 18, 2012 Robert Duffy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Friends
Shelves: sci-fi
Book 1 of the Braided path, I couldn't put it down. So interesting and a complete story,I will enjoy book 2. The statement on the front 'A finely crafted and deeply visual oriental treasure' is very true but the oriental part will only be clear with some thought, if you get as involved with the story as I did.
I hope you like it as much as I did.
Liz
Jul 05, 2009 Liz rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who need fuel for a winter's fire.
Shelves: unfinished
This could have been so much more. I was getting really interested in the mechanics of everything, like the way it worked and all, and his writing style was pretty good, but then Chris Wooding had to go and get off on writing some girl on girl.

This is the only book I've ever thrown across the room.

Such a damned WASTE!
  • Tomorrow's Magic (Omnibus)
  • Guardian of the Green Hill
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • O Fado da Sombra (Crónicas de Allaryia, #6)
  • The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)
  • The Monsters of Morley Manor: A Madcap Adventure
  • Soul Stealer (The Alchemist's Son #2)
  • Ravenwood (Ravenwood #1)
  • The Spook's Bestiary (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles)
  • Colours in the Steel (Fencer Trilogy, #1)
  • Phantom of Blood Alley (Barnaby Grimes, # 4)
  • The Third God
  • The City
  • Meridian, Vol. 1: Flying Solo
  • The Swordsman's Oath (The Tales of Einarinn #2)
  • A Practical Guide to Monsters (Practical Guides)
  • Fire Logic (Elemental Logic, #1)
  • The Adamantine Palace (The Memory of Flames, #1)
Chris Wooding grew up in a small town in Leicestershire, where not much of anything happened. So he started to write novels. He was sixteen when he completed his first. He had an agent by eighteen. By nineteen he had signed his first book deal. When he left university he began to write full-time, and he has been doing it professionally all his adult life.

Now thirty-two, Chris has written sixteen b
More about Chris Wooding...
Poison Retribution Falls (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #1) The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray The Black Lung Captain (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #2) Malice (Malice, #1)