Start by marking “weerzien in Kenia” as Want to Read:
weerzien in Kenia

weerzien in Kenia

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  587 ratings  ·  36 reviews
In Barsaloi, in het hoogland van Kenia, komt het tot een emotioneel weerzien met Lketinga; met haar Afrikaanse schoonmoeder Mama; met Lketinga's broer James en met haar nichtje Saguna, die inmiddels is opgegroeid tot een jonge vrouw. Ook ontmoet zij pater Giuliani op zijn nieuwe missiepost in het Ndoto-gebergte, die haar destijds heeft geholpen bij haar vlucht terug naar E ...more
Published by Arena (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about weerzien in Kenia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about weerzien in Kenia

Wendy
Oddly, in most ways I think this is actually the best book of the three--especially as far as the writing goes. It really feels like Corinne is honing a craft and growing as a person.

This book doesn't have the [messy] depth of The White Masai. But as with the last book, Corinne becomes clearer to me all the time. I finished The White Masai disliking her fairly thoroughly, and I realized part way through this one that now I really do like her (as she portrays herself in books yadda yadda). Both o
George Ilsley
The author is rendered even more unattractive in this rambling, unfocussed account of her return to a village in Kenya where she lived with her husband and his family. Her obliviousness seems to have no boundaries. When her ex-husband's brother explains what the family felt when she, a white stranger, arrived to live in their village, she seems for the first time to have seen things from the perspective of these African villagers. Did she not read her first book, The White Masai? It basically de ...more
Vesna Stojanova
Great book. Great life. What a courageous woman. And man in that respect.
I could feel their love rising from the beautifully written lines.
At the end I was said, mostly for her Massai husband, but also for her.
Still life is like it is and sometimes love is not enough.
Sugandha
I liked this much more than 'The White Masai', mostly because this was short and sweet. No unnecessary dwelling on stupid things. I like reunions and revisiting the past, and can only imagine how the people involved would have felt to see each other again after 14 years! That's a LONG time and many things change in this time.

Previously, I'd had no desire to watch the movie, but reading this made me curious to see how the book was translated onto film. Not sure if there is a book about Napirai m
Liralen
Then all of a sudden I realize how absurd and hypocritical my attitude is: on the one hand, I'm lost in rapture at how colourful and beautiful the traditional clothing of the young girls and warriors is and wish Samburu traditions could be preserved as long as possible, while on the other, I'd like to see those customs and rituals which offend my European sensibility changed.
-Corinne Hofmann, Reunion in Barsaloi, 87

I had mixed feelings about the first two books, but other reviewers had suggested
Caroline
I enjoyed the first two books in this trilogy, but it really felt as though this was one written for the sake of writing, without anything particularly interesting or relevant to add. Disappointing. 2.5 stars.
Karolien
Na de Blanke Masai te hebben gelezen wilde ik zeker weten hoe het verhaal van Corinne Hoffman verder ging. Toen ik in de bibliotheek een van de vervolgboeken op de rekken zag staan kon ik dus de verleiding niet weerstaan om het te ontlenen.

In het 3de boek zoekt Corinne samen met de uitgever van haar boek en een filmploeg haar Afrikaanse familie na 14 jaar weer op.

Na haar vertrek is er in Barsaloi erg veel veranderd. De wegen zijn anders, de mensen zijn er anders gaan eten, iedereen is weer wat o
Kathy
This is the 3rd book in the series about Swiss woman Corinne Hofmann's marriage to a Masai warrior. In the first book she met & married Lketinga and left him after having a daughter; in the 2nd book she described her readjustment to life in Switzerland and in this final book, she details her return visit to Lketinga and the Saburu people in Kenya fourteen years later. The movie THe White Masai (based on her first book) was being filmed in Kenya at the same time. I was almost as interested as ...more
Arlette Sjerp
Corinne Hoffmann makes full circle in Wiedersehen in Barsaloi (Reunion in Barsaloi), where she visits her African family again for the first time in fourteen years. She also takes a behind the scenes look at her own movie. It's a beautiful book about family, culture, memories and progression. She ends in the place where she first met Lketinga, making this an appropriate final installment of her autobiographical trilogy.

I wonder if there will ever be a fourth book describing her daughters experi
Rebekah
I really enjoyed this book...after reading her first book, The White Masai, I was just in awe that anyone could live like she did and was almost feeling like she did it just to write a book about it, etc! But after reading this book, I was impressed by the bond she felt with Mama (her ex-Sumura husband's mother) and others in the tribe. Also when she went to where the set was producing a movie on her first book, she was overwhelmed with feelings for these past experiences of hers. Very heart-war ...more
Alison
In this story she returns to the area where she lived for many years.”
Catherine
Having read "White Masai," I knew the story that led up to this follow-up book. The author returns to Barsaloi after a fourteen year absence. She travels back to the village where she lived and informs her readers of how Africa has changed during that short period of time. If you're thinking of reading this book, I would recommend reading "White Masai" first because this book is definitely a sequel to that book. Corinne Hofmann's story is fascinating. No wonder they made "White Masai" into a mov ...more
Abbey
I continue to be fascinated by this woman who found love in Africa and still feels such a great connection to her family (by marriage) there. Was glad to hear that she had share the wealth from her book proceeds to help make their life better back in Barsaloi. However, it does show how even just one person from the "outside" can set a whole village, a whole area, down a different course in life....... The transation from German to English definitely had it's weaknesses. I wished I had gotten it ...more
Mel
Dec 02, 2008 Mel rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mel by: my good friend in Cali
This was definitely the weaker book of the three. I think I enjoyed the second book; Back from Africa the best. It's the one where she actually grows up and takes action in making her life better.
However, I am surprised by her parenting "skills." It seems she truly believes in "it takes a village" to raise a child, because of the amount of time her child spends with childminders and that she allowed her child to run around at such a young age. I don't know if that's her or a European thing.
Dee-Ann
Finally finished ... which is a sign. Maybe this book would have been better if I had read the first. I enjoyed the description of the people, the landscape but found writing too much focused on the author. The content was not equally spread in that there were gaps of knowledge (proabably due to not having read the first book) and other times things were repeated again and again.I loved the photos however ... they told stories in themsleves.
Studio
A very moving pilgrimage, coming full circle and re-visiting all the places in Kenya where she lived through life-changing events. Hopefully it will be possible for her daughter to travel and visit her family too. Also, that the saga is not over yet, and that readers will get to live more adventures along with the enigmatic people who we have come to know. Thank you Corinne, and the team that made this epic journey possible.
Christine
Finally the glimmerings of some insight from the author about the real cultural differences that existed when she lived in Barsoloi and the impact her appearance had on the family of her husband. What a welcoming lot of people. Welcoming the first and second time.
What was incredibly disappointing was that her daughter didn't go to Kenyan to see her father or family. What a cop out not taking her. But aaahhh well... there's book 4!
Robin
Well, now I've finished the 3 books about Corinne and I must say I'm hooked - it's like a reality TV show - I'm sure she'll write another after she takes her daughter to meet her family. I can't wait for that one! I actually enjoyed the parts about meeting up with the film crew and her reaction to the actors palying the different parts. I'd like to see the film if I can ever find it.
Kelsey
This book is a follow up to "The White Masai". Again, the writing is not great, but Corinne is not a writer, just a woman telling her story as it happened. The book was worth the read to find out what happened after her story in "The White Masai" when she comes back to visit 14 years later. The reunion proves to be an uplifting and loving story.
Gill
If you enjoyed reading "The White Masai" you will find this 3rd book in the series interesting.
Pam
Not quite as gripping as her first book, this seems more like a travelogue and a report on the filming of the movie about her first book. The description of the Kibera slum in Nairobi that 700,000 people call home is appalling.
Jeanette
Satisfies the curiosity of those who have read and enjoyed The White Masai, but really does not offer much more than an epilogue to the original story. Don't bother unless you are besotted with the story of the White Masai
Cassandra Joyce
No where near as excellent as the first book but still an enjoyable read. I did however like the author a lot less having read this one after being inspired by the first!
Ruth
I was really looking forward to this book and was sorely disappointed. It did not read as well as "Masai" and to me seemed as if it was a different writer all together.
Melissa
I actually found this quite boring in comparison to The White Masai; however, it was fun to see what happened in Corinne's life following that first book.
Joanletica
I really reading of what happened next! Author was grasping for something to fill the chapters with at the end. Otherwise, luved it!
Ennie
Leuk als vervolg op “de blanke Masai” en “terug uit Afrika”. Als op zichzelf staand boek is het waarschijnlijk minder leuk om te lezen.
Mercy
loved it! was great to read about Corinne's adventure back to where it all started.
Edie
Only worth reading for a catch up on the people from 'The White Masai'.
  • Child of the Jungle: The True Story of a Girl Caught Between Two Worlds
  • Eight Feet in the Andes
  • Nowhere in Africa: An Autobiographical Novel
  • Conspiracy to Murder: The Rwanda Genocide and the International Community
  • Darfur: The Ambiguous Genocide
  • Hon går genom tavlan, ut ur bilden
  • Brotherhood of Warriors: Behind Enemy Lines with a Commando in One of the World's Most Elite Counterterrorism Units
  • GIMP: When Life Deals You a Crappy Hand, You Can Fold -or You Can Play
  • In the Rose Garden of the Martyrs: A Memoir of Iran
  • A Long Walk Home: One Woman's Story of Kidnap, Hostage, Loss - and Survival
  • The Graves Are Not Yet Full
  • Paddle to the Amazon: The Ultimate 12,000-Mile Canoe Adventure
The White Masai Back from Africa Africa, dragostea mea La masai blanca Historia Białej Masajki