Start by marking “The Blood of Crows (Anderson & Costello, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Blood of Crows (Anderson & Costello, #4)

The Blood of Crows (Anderson & Costello #4)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
The Blood of Crows is the fourth instalment in Caro Ramsay's epic Anderson and Costello series.

For one Scottish cop the beat is about to get dark and very bloody . . .

DI Colin Anderson is having a bad week. His conviction of paedophile Skelpie Fairbairn is declared unsafe - putting Fairbairn back on Glasgow's streets and leaving Anderson under investigation.

Add to this a g
Published September 27th 2012 by Penguin (first published August 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Blood of Crows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blood of Crows

Melissa
Dec 04, 2012 Melissa rated it did not like it
What an absolute mess of a book. I really like Caro Ramsey but this was just too much. It reminded me of when my mother would clean out the refrigerator for dinner. Most of the stuff was fine on it's own but all together it was weird. Ten murders with very little real emotion, including a recurring character from the series. A not very plausible solution that left the reader thinking "Really?" (As in the sarcastic Really, not the surprised really). The threads weaving the story together were jus ...more
Gary Van Cott
Jun 06, 2014 Gary Van Cott rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. With this book Caro Ramsay takes her place as one of the best authors of Scottish mysteries along with Ian Rankin and Stuart MacBride. While there are a few loose ends, this is an excellent book. It is a shame that the author is not more prolific. This is only her fourth book in this series published since 2007, with another due out at the end of the year. Unfortunately, this book and book 2 aren't readily available on kindle or in libraries in the US so I had to buy paperback copies ...more
Joanne Parkington
Mar 25, 2013 Joanne Parkington rated it liked it
Based on a glowing recommendation from a fellow reader i decided to order all four of the books in this series so i could read them in order .... & this one is definitely the best of the bunch. I really had to persevere through each one as the first two are wishy-washy at best and quite frustrating to read with obvious plots and limp characters, DCI McAlpine or rather McWhine was a real damp squid & i was glad of his final demise. Costello & Anderson are ok but they are not developed ...more
Christina McLain
Aug 06, 2013 Christina McLain rated it liked it
I usually love Caro Ramsey but this book was a mess.There are just too many different plot lines going on at the same time,involving several seemingly disparate and gruesome murders, including one in which a victim has her ribs broken open and pried back one by one. Talk about being gutted!!!
But the worst flaw here is that the story just becomes so over the top we cease to care and just want it all to end. And in the conclusion we are led to believe that an 18 year will become the new uncrowne
Flora Wyllie
Mar 31, 2014 Flora Wyllie rated it really liked it
Yet another great read. This is her 4th book with the same characters and is of the same high standard. Lots of twists and turns. Well worth reading.
Jacky
Nov 18, 2012 Jacky rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to be at the Edinburgh Fringe this year, August 2012. I attended a Writers Reading at Blackwell Bookshop. Caro Ramsay gave a witty and entertaining talk and signed my book.

I found this book enjoyable but very violent. My usual foray into this genre are books by Lee Child.
However I was not expecting the twist at the end so was entertained throughout. As I usually read at night, I might make a point of reading other DI Anderson and DS Costello novels in the light of day! ...
Sandra
Jan 03, 2016 Sandra rated it it was amazing
That I've done virtually nothing else but read this book all day has to be testimony to its gripping power - and what else could you ask for from a book of this ilk? Characters to care about? - Anderson and Costello do that in spades, dialogue? - cracking, plot? - intricate and unguessable, death, blood, horror, tension? - all that too. Can't fault it (at least, I'm not looking to do so.) Thoroughly entertaining
Liz
Jun 07, 2014 Liz rated it really liked it
has a slightly over-worked plot line less could be more but having said that it very readable kept me guessing and very much entertained. I'd say this is my favourite of the series so far and I'm hoping Costello's character develops more in the next novel I wanted to like her best but came away cheering more for Libby - not sure that's where I wanted to be!
Ruth
Jul 17, 2013 Ruth rated it really liked it
Another page turner and for me made even better that it is set in Glasgow.
I live in England,however it's still nice to read about Luss,the Campsies etc.
I can visualise these places and I do visit them when I am visiting family.
Hope there is another book to come in this series.
Peter Wanless
Aug 29, 2013 Peter Wanless rated it liked it
By the time you get to the end if this convoluted Glasgow-based story, the only characters left alive must, by definition, be needed for the next book or responsible for the crimes. Pretty far fetched but just about intriguing enough for me to want to find out the ending.
Sue Mcleod
Feb 03, 2013 Sue Mcleod rated it liked it
Fun read ... Ludicrous plot line that didn't really hang together but I managed to suspend disbelief and enjoy it for what it was. But please, no more unnecessary coincidences involving the irritating Costello!
Tori
Sep 04, 2013 Tori rated it it was ok
Seemed promising but there are too many plots and subplots to keep track of in here and the writer is always jumping between them.
Fiona
May 18, 2013 Fiona rated it really liked it
Would actually say 3.5 points. Really enjoyed this till the messy wrapping up towards the end which let it down.
Tony Rothwell
Sep 14, 2013 Tony Rothwell rated it it was amazing
Best book I've read for a while and I've read some good ones!
Tracey Sinclair
Apr 18, 2013 Tracey Sinclair rated it liked it
Slow start but solid if not that imaginative thriller.
Sonja
Jan 27, 2013 Sonja rated it really liked it
can't wait for the next one
Janet Hood
Disapointing
Balgreen
Balgreen rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
Gail
Gail rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
KAYE LOW
KAYE LOW rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Christian
Christian marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Melissa Denneny
Melissa Denneny marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Michella
Michella marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Brian Miller
Brian Miller marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Maggie
Maggie rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Rayne
Rayne marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Martha Brindley
Martha Brindley rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Kylie BUCHANAN
Kylie BUCHANAN marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Ana Fantini
Ana Fantini marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Evil for Evil (DI Marjory Fleming #7)
  • Snapshot
  • Deity (Damen Brook, #3)
  • When the Devil Drives
  • Blood in the Water (Alice Rice, #1).
  • Road Closed
  • The Book of Souls (Inspector McLean, #2)
  • Good People
  • The Unburied Dead (Thomas Hutton, #1)
  • Settled Blood (DCI Kate Daniels, #2)
  • The Twilight Time
  • The Cadaver Game (Wesley Peterson, #16)
  • A Small Weeping
  • Laidlaw (Jack Laidlaw, #1)
  • Never Coming Home
  • The Beauty of Murder
  • The Cold Calling
  • Vicar's Daughter to Viscount's Lady (Transformation of the Shelley Sisters, #2)
Caro Ramsay was born and educated in Glasgow. She has been writing stories since she was five years old, developing a keen interest in crime fiction and a passion for the genre that lead her to write Absolution, her first novel.
More about Caro Ramsay...

Anderson & Costello (7 books)
  • Absolution (Anderson & Costello, #1)
  • Singing to the Dead (Anderson & Costello, #2)
  • Dark Water (Anderson & Costello, #3)
  • The Night Hunter (Anderson & Costello # 5)
  • The Tears of Angels ( Anderson & Costello, #6).
  • Rat Run: An Scottish Police Procedural