Start by marking “Shades of Grey (Dulcie Schwartz Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Shades of Grey (Dulcie Schwartz Mystery #1)

Shades of Grey (Dulcie Schwartz Mystery #1)

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Twenty-something grad student Dulcie is having an awful summer. She's had to put her beloved cat Mr Grey to sleep; she can't decide on a thesis topic; and her best friend and room-mate has gone away, leaving her with a sub-letter, Tim, a boorish business school jerk. Walking home from her boring temp job she sees a cat the spitting image of Mr Grey and hears, in her head, ...more
Published March 1st 2012 by Severn House Publishers (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Shades of Grey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shades of Grey

Mary Kennedy
Every amateur sleuth needs a sidekick and Dulcie Schwartz is fortunate to have Mr. Grey at her side.

Mr. Grey is quick-witted, resourceful and endlessly devoted. He’s has finely tuned instincts and a nose for ferreting out the truth.
Oh yes, and he happens to be a cat.

Mr. Grey is more than a garden variety house cat; he’s the ghost of Dulcie’s beloved pet feline, and it quickly becomes apparent that he’s more of a spirit guide” than a woo-woo presence in the book.

Dulcie, still mourning the lo
Lighthearted
Carol
I've read mysteries with talking cats and mysteries with ghosts. I'm pretty sure this is the first book I've read featuring a talking ghost cat.

It's well written and well developed. The paranormal aspect was present but not too heavy-handed, and the focus stayed on the human characters rather than the cat. I'm not entirely sure about Dulcie, the main character. I liked her, but she seemed too trusting, too naive, too willing to spill her guts to new acquaintances. But I liked the book overall a
Kira Barnes
I really enjoyed this one and am eager to read the rest of the series. The protagonist, Dulcie Schwartz, is a Ph.D. student in English, studying 18th century Gothic novels, and the preoccupations of graduate students are quite familiar to me, as I spent the better part of the '90s in graduate school, first studying French literature, then leaving my Ph.D. at the ABD stage for a library degree. I also happen to have worked as a typist for an insurance-related company, which is what Dulcie's doing ...more
Leah
The only reason I finished this book was because it was a 14 day library loan and I needed to return it. I can't quite put my finger on why, but the main character fell flat for me. I got more out of the descriptions of Cambridge than I did out of the plot. It didn't help that my eyes kept missing the single quotes embracing the dialog, so I kept misreading thoughts, descriptions, and dialog.
Debby

I really loved this book. I started reading it for some light refreshment as i just started a demanding Masters program myself. I also have an affinity for cats.
The characters were fun and interesting, the book was well written and suspenseful. A true delight and not nearly as mindless as some Mystery Lite authors I could mention.
Gogarcias8
Loved it! I love a heroine who is brainy, brave, and wonders what it would be like to marry every single man she meets. Also had the wonderful element of a mystery. I guess the only down side was the mystery was a bit see-through, but it did not deter me from loving the book. Looking forward to the next installment....
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This book was a very satisfying mystery. Also, I learned alot about being a Doctorial Canidate. At times, I will admit, the English Literature discussion went over my non-graduate mind, but I learned alot. I just love learning so I'm eagerly going into her next book!
Staci
Sep 24, 2009 Staci marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
literary feline
Wendy
Having read and enjoyed author Clea Simon's Theda Krakow series, I looked forward to trying her new series featuring Dulcie Schwartz, a doctoral student specializing in gothic literature at Harvard University. Besides, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to meet a ghost cat, could I?

In order to help pay the bills, Dulcie has sublet her roommate's room in their apartment to another college student, a rather obnoxious man who likes the ladies. Dulcie isn't too fond of him, but she would never have
Susan
I couldn't finish this one (rare for me), or even care enough to skim to the end to see 'who dunnit' (exceptionally rare for me). The main character, Dulcie Schwartz, is a real drip. She is so wish-washy that she cannot make any decision - no matter how important or how trivial - without first consulting her dead cat. Really, how did she choose what to wear each morning when he was still alive?
Deirdre S.
I enjoyed this enough to summon the next two in the series from the library. It reminds me a bit of the Aunt Dimity books, with the sleuth getting supernatural help, in this case from her departed cat, Mr. Grey, who offers sage (if sometimes gnomic) advice at critical moments, and even manages to intervene on the physical plane when life-or-death perils demand it. This is a pleasing book for cat lovers, and scholars. It is as satisfying to see the struggling grad student protagonist settle on a ...more
Ryan
I found this as I looked through the Goodread sponsors pages. I liked the idea - a kind of Ghost & Mrs Muir, but with a cat. I read the whole thing and for the most part it was fine. Tilted into the kind of romantic girl thing I dislike, but not irretrievably. Dulcie was a bit too obsessed with possible dates with guys she'd just met, a bit too victim-like. Doing anything plausible with computer technology & crime in a story is tough. Ariadne Oliver would have steered clear.
Jamie
This book was given to me to read from a woman I work with, and I was a bit skeptical about reading it after finding out it was about a woman seeing her dead cat. However, I gave it a chance and I'm glad that I did. While the idea of an animal guardian coming back to guide their previous owner seems far-fetched to me, I still found this book an enjoyable read. It was full of action and suspense, and was very well written.
Michelle
I don't know why this book was so hard to get through. The premise sounded really promising but it did not live up to my expectations. I think it was all of the information about some obscure Gothic novel (or part of one) that the heroine kept re-reading and trying to relate all that was happening to. I almost skipped to the end to find out whodunit without finishing the book. I didn't, but I seriously considered it.
Mary
This is the second book I've read by Clea Simon and I have to say I am hooked. I really liked this book not only because it has a ghost cat, but it also has an academic atmosphere. I love books and I love books that includes books. I loved the fact that Dulcie was doing her thesis on an old Gothic novel. It was an enjoyable read.
Lynn Siler
So far, so good: "The building, home to 3.5 million books, hummed softly, like a giant purring beast, and as she had edged down one narrow aisle, books shelved on either side, she'd begun to shed the all-around weirdness of the day." My kind of book!
Brad
A fairly short, simple mystery about a female grad student whose finds who male roommate stabbed to death at their house, and is left trying to figure out who did it.
Judith Martin
Charming characters, especially the wise feline ghost, well written but the plot seemed a bit busy and shallow.
Erica
Easy ready, pretty weak story but I got it to read at the gym so I didn't have to concentrate that hard.
Karen
This book was OK. Will give most anything a second book chance if there are possibilities.
Sallyla
Apr 02, 2012 Sallyla rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not recommended
Pretty boring, no plan to read further on in series.
Cindy
Too much spinning inside the protagonist's head.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Kristijan Sašilo
Kristijan Sašilo marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Posted To Death (Simon Kirby-Jones Mysteries #1)
  • Double Black (A Ski Diva Mystery, #1)
  • Deadly Nightshade (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #1)
  • Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #1)
  • Curiosity Thrilled the Cat (Magical Cats, #1)
  • Dressed to Keel (A Darcy Cavanaugh Mystery #1)
  • Running on Empty (Main Street Mystery #1)
  • Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)
  • Out of Circulation (Cat in the Stacks, #4)
  • Blessed Is The Busybody (Ministry Is Murder Mystery,#1)
  • Well Bred and Dead (A High Society Mystery, #1)
  • Tensleep (Em Hansen Mystery, #1)
  • Cat on the Edge (Joe Grey #1)
  • The Body in the Big Apple (Faith Fairchild, #10)
  • The Sudoku Murder (Katie McDonald, #1)
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • Stealing with Style (Sterling Glass, #1)
  • The Dog Park Club: A Mystery
Clea Simon is the author of the Dulcie Schwartz feline mysteries, the Pru Marlowe pet noir mysteries, and the Theda Krakow mysteries, as well as three nonfiction books, including The Feline Mystique: On the Mysterious Connection Between Women and Cats. The recipient of multiple honors, including the Cat Writers Associations Presidents Award, she lives in Somerville, Massachusetts, with her husband ...more
More about Clea Simon...

Dulcie Schwartz Mystery (8 books)
  • Grey Matters (Dulcie Schwartz Mystery, #2)
  • Grey Zone (Dulcie Schwartz Mystery, #3)
  • Grey Expectations (Dulcie Schwartz Mystery, #4)
  • True Grey (Dulcie Schwartz Mystery, #5)
  • Grey Dawn (Dulcie Schwartz Mystery, #6)
  • Grey Howl (Dulcie Schwartz Mystery, #7)
  • Stages of Grey (Dulcie Schwartz Mystery, #8)
Mew Is for Murder (Theda Krakow Mystery #1) Dogs Don't Lie: A Pru Marlowe Pet Noir Cattery Row (Theda Krakow Mystery #2) Cats Can't Shoot: A Pru Marlowe Pet Noir Cries and Whiskers (Theda Krakow Mystery #3)