Start by marking “Beginnings and Ends (Troubleshooters #16.1)” as Want to Read:
Beginnings and Ends (Troubleshooters #16.1)

Beginnings and Ends (Troubleshooters #16.1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  656 ratings  ·  85 reviews
Suzanne Brockmann, bestselling author of When Tony Met Adam and the pulse-pounding Troubleshooters series, has been hailed by USA Today as a “superstar of romantic suspense.” In this original short story, available exclusively as an eBook, Brockmann returns with two of her most beloved characters from the Troubleshooters world: operative Jules Cassidy and his husband, Robi ...more
Published June 1st 2012 by Random House Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Beginnings and Ends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beginnings and Ends

Kaetrin
Why I read it: I've read and enjoyed all of the Troubleshooters books and I'm a fan of Jules and Robin so I downloaded this one as soon as it was available.

What it's about: (the blurb from Goodreads) After years of playing the tormented actor, Joe Laughlin, on the hit television show Shadowland, Hollywood star Robin Chadwick Cassidy is ready for a change. Joe’s character embodies the real demons of Robin’s past—his struggle with his sexuality, his battle with alcoholism—and portraying the part h
E
I can NEVER get enough of Jules and Robin....EVER! Short, but perfect! Thanks Suzanne for indulging this crazy fan with the perfect Jules and Robin fix!
Yvonne
Jun 01, 2012 Yvonne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
That was quick! I was hoping for more. If you were looking for lots of Jules & Robin, lower your expectations. There's only 6 chapters with 3 of the chapters about Shadowlands, Robin's TV show & showing Robin as his TV character Joe Laughlin. The remaining 3 chapters gives a brief glimpse of Jules & Robin & them making a decision for their future.

The story ends at 75% on my kindle. The remaining 25% is an excerpt from Hot Target (and not even an excerpt with Jules & Robin bu
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Jul 03, 2012 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the series
These stories were too short for anyone who is not following the Troubleshooters series. Those of us who have read All Through the Night: A Troubleshooter Christmas will appreciate this more than those who have not.

One extremely hot sex scene but not too explicit for newbies to male-male relationships.

Simply excellent. The only problem is the whole thing is too short.
Duchess Nicole
I love Jules and Robin, and was really looking forward to spending time with them. But most of this short was told as Robin in character for his TV show. There was very little Jules. BooHoo!

Still, it's worth reading. It just brought me back into Troubleshooter world and disappointed me. Since the series has ended, all this did was make me a little sad. But Jules and Robin get a sweet little HEA! So there you go.
Jenifer Mohammed
A short but sweet story. I love to see how Jules and Robin's relationship has evolved over the years. Can't wait to see what happens next for them.
Anna
3.5 stars: I liked this more than I was expecting due to some reviews I read before reading this. I missed Jules and Robin and I'm so sad this is the last we read of them because they were a truly amazing couple. Loved their scenes together, and I also surprisingly loved the scenes where it was about Joe, the character Robin was playing for his series; I really got into it, to be honest! So yeah, great short read that reminded me just how great these two are and how much I missed them.
Melissa
Super short yes, but it IS a short story and I read other reviews beforehand so I knew to expect it to be a quick read. I loved it! I'll take a little Jules and Robin any day. I thought the story was written in a really unique way. I loved the fictional story about Joe. Really touching. Of course I was disappointed that it wasn't longer but like I said, I loved this update and so glad I got to read it.
KellBell
A REALLY short, REALLY quick read about Jules, Robin, and (mostly) the character Robin plays. Since I was in the mood for some Troubleshooters and a quick read (since I have work tomorrow and can't be up reading too late), this was perfect.

And when I say short, I mean short. Less than an hour of reading time here.
Anke
74% on my kindle and it's already over. I feel cheated out of my last chapter:( Nevertheless, the story itself was wonderful. I had difficulties during the first few pages to get into the story, but then I couldn't stop. I hope we don't have to wait too long for the next part of Robin's and Jules' story.
PepperP0t (ireadthatbook.com)
Well written novella focusing on Jules & Robin. With a synopsis this accurate & a story this short, no need to expound. It also doesn't really impact the overall arc of the series, I'd say it's for fans of this couple & completists only.
Mindy
I have said this in other reviews of Brockmann's books (see this review), but when it comes to Jules and Robin, Brockmann has a tendency to become preachy.

I get that Brockmann's son has struggled to thrive in a often anti-gay culture. I get that she loves her son and wants to normalize his lifestyle. I even get that she would choose to use her gift of storytelling to get her message of acceptance out to the larger heterosexual community. And I'm ok with that, really I am. Force of Nature was on
Jess Candela
4.5
I loved revisiting Jules and Robin, and I thought learning more about them through the character Robin plays was a fun way to do it.
Tara
I understand now what people mean when they complain that for a book about Robin and Jules there wasn't a ton of Robin & Jules. I had assumed prior to reading it that it meant that there was a lot Sam & Alyssa or something like that.

But what happened in this story is we are reading about Robin's TV series and the script of what is happening on it. And I think what is more frustrating is that the character Robing is playing, Joe Laughlin, is almost exactly like Robin from his first few b
Brenda (b)
This was a quick read for me, I started it while waiting for The Kid at the orthodontist and finished it shortly after dinner. I liked the book a lot. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, but it wasn't quite this. Robin and Jules are the focus of this short story, but most of it is actually some scenes from the series that Robin stars in. Just going by what was presented here, I actually felt a connection forming with Robin's character, Joe (he was so much like Robin used to be that it was ...more
Melanie Mathews
I loved this little story. I cannot get enough of Jules and Robin! This novella was in my opinion was kind of like someone giving me a bite of the most delicious cheesecake and then saying ok that is all you get! I mean, I know it is a novella but it's so sure! One thing that kind of bugs me about it was there was too much about the end of the series. I would've liked to have more Jules and Robin. I felt like there was way too much about the t.v show Robin stared in and not enough Jules and Robi ...more
Jennie
I love the Troubleshooters series, so I was thrilled to see this finally. Then I read this and was disappointed. I did like this story, but I felt that it could have been a lot more. The TV show segments were confusing and I didn't really care for them, because I'm here to read about Robin and Jules, not the fictional character a fictional character is portraying.

I really wish there would have been more on the baby plot. I think that would have been a lot better use of the novel. Sure, end the s
Debbie
I love Jules and Robin, so was looking forward to this, and anxiously pre-ordered it as soon as it was possible to do so. I eagerly downloaded it on the 1st and read it on the train ride into work the next day and found myself... confused? gipped? disappointed?

I happily paid $2 for a short story about Jules and Robin. Instead, I got a hodgepodge of somewhat confusing scenes that alternated between Robin's Shadowland character's life and small glimpses into his real life, and not much of Jules at
Elaine Faylo
What can I say? I love Jules & Robin! I only wish this story had been longer! Fans of the Troubleshooters series really won't see anything more than a token mention of some familiar names. Those who are unfamiliar with the series and the backstory of Jules and Robin probably won't care for the book as much. This short story really made me hungry for a new Troubleshooters book.
Jessi
We get a closer glimpse of Robin and Jules in this book, seeing Robin in the midst of his television series, Brockmann giving us glimpses of some of the scripts. Basically, it's the way Robin could have gone if he hadn't cleaned up his act and "announced" his love for Jules.
A very short story. Not even a novella barely. If you know the characters, it's easy to fall into the story. I don't know how easy it would be if you didn't know the series.
Xenos
Finally, some new "Troubleshooters" goodness!!! Although not the typical action-filled story I've come to expect from Suzanne Brockmann and although waaaaaay too short (sorry, I can never get enough when it comes to my Troubleshooters), it was wonderful to catch up with Jules and Robin.

Without giving too much away, we get a glimpse at "Shadowlands" (Robin's television show) and how it reflects Robin's own life story and the toll it's taking on him. We also get to share the joy as Jules and Robin
JazzRizz
VERY short story for Jules & Robin.

This one seems to have a bunch of negative reviews, but for me it was a very sweet "check-in" with them.

Jules is usually front and center, but in this story we get a to see a major career choice for Robin, which in turn creates a major life choice for both of them.

Such a sweet couple, and I really hope there are more Troubleshooter books in the future!

Kaje Harper
This had to get four stars, because I love Jules and Robin. It is very short, and the more intense parts are the first-person snippets of Robin's TV series character Joe and his suffocating closeted life. I was dismayed by how much of the total volume was promo (especially promo for Hot Target - because how many people reading this snippet haven't already read that one? I love, love that book, but if you haven't read it yet, don't bother with this one.) Suzanne Brockmann writes well, as always. ...more
lielabell lielabell
This book was just one big D'AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Seriously, I think I started to coo midway through the first page and didn't stop until I put the book down. And then instantly texted my bestie with "Finished Beginnings and Ends. OMG AMAZING." because OMG AMAZING.

Just... Robin and Jules. If you've read any of the Robin and Jules books, you understand. If you haven't, dude. GO READ 'EM NOW. And then you will understand too.

My only complaint is that the short story was so short. I wanted ten times
Sheri
A short story for fans of Jules Cassidy. There was more of Robbin's script than there was of Robbin and Jules.
Awwww, Robin. Awwwww, Jules. They will have the cutest babies in the universe. The end.
marieno
I'm such a fan of Robin and Jules that I was greatful for this short story. But... it's not really that great. First we follow Joe, Robin's character in Shadowland. Robin is ready to quit the show and the creator is over the moon about that. They give Joe his happy ending. It's a botched happy ending, but it's credible; after all, a lot of tv shows rushed their ending. Then, Robin is ready to be a stay-at-home dad and wants to use a surrogate that will have Jules' baby. He's afraid the baby is g ...more
Marilyn
Of course I like anything written about Robin and Jules, but I was a little put out with the length and price of this story. I really think it should be 99 cents instead of a $1.99. I feel like I've been taken advantage of, especially since it was included free with her last book. I think it was only about 35 pages or so on my Nook. I'm sorry but I was disappointed with how it ended also. Now how long is it going to be before we see more about this storyline?
Lori McD
RECOMMENDED FOR: Jules and Robin fans ONLY

This book surprised me.... it was a nice little bonus, but honestly? I didn't think it added much to the series.

It's a nice little short about Robin and Jules, but the only NEW thing is that they decide to go forward with a surrogate to have a baby. OK. But I probably could have told you that, even without this book.

So, while, as Jules-Robin fan, I appreciated it... I could have lived without it.
Minh
Jul 15, 2012 Minh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm, romance
Jules and Robin are almost saccharin sweet in this latest novella, it's almost too short to classify as a read this year but my compulsiveness gives me no choice! I was torn between a 2 and 3, while I enjoyed the read it's length was a little disappointing.

The events of the novella are a natural moving on for any couple, but it's taken over a little by the events of Robin's television career which seems a little rose-colored for hollywood.
Jules & Robin 2 23 Jun 04, 2012 11:09PM
  • In the Dark (PsyCop, #6.1)
  • Leave No Trace (Black Ops, #5.5)
  • Perfect Day
  • Long Gone
  • Heaven Can't Wait (I-Team, #1.5)
  • Ghosts and Flames
  • Home Ice
  • Protector (Dark Ops, #4)
  • Guns and Roses (Includes: PI Julie Collins; Bobbie Faye, #3.5; Rough Riders; Bullet Catcher; Shadow Stalkers, #3; Housewife Assassin)
  • Hot Weather
  • A Very Shaney Valentine's Day (Lost Shifters, #17)
  • Eidolon (Whyborne & Griffin, #1.5)
  • Lead Us Not (Love is Always Write)
Suzanne Brockmann was born in 1960. Married with Ed Gaffney, a lawyer and published writer. They have two grown children: Melanie, who is a personal trainer and author, and Jason, who is an actor and tap dancer. They divide their time between Boston, Massachusetts, Sarasota, Florida and New York City.

Published since 1993, Suzanne is widely recognized as one of the leading voices in suspense romanc
More about Suzanne Brockmann...
The Unsung Hero (Troubleshooters, #1) Over the Edge (Troubleshooters, #3) Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4) Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6) Breaking Point (Troubleshooters, #9)