Start by marking “Beginnings and Ends (Troubleshooters, #16.1)” as Want to Read:
Beginnings and Ends (Troubleshooters, #16.1)

Beginnings and Ends (Troubleshooters #16.1)

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  1,119 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
Suzanne Brockmann, bestselling author of When Tony Met Adam and the pulse-pounding Troubleshooters series, has been hailed by USA Today as a “superstar of romantic suspense.” In this original short story, available exclusively as an eBook, Brockmann returns with two of her most beloved characters from the Troubleshooters world: operative Jules Cassidy and his husband, Robi ...more
Published June 1st 2012 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Beginnings and Ends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beginnings and Ends

Kaetrin
Jun 01, 2012 Kaetrin rated it did not like it
Why I read it: I've read and enjoyed all of the Troubleshooters books and I'm a fan of Jules and Robin so I downloaded this one as soon as it was available.

What it's about: (the blurb from Goodreads) After years of playing the tormented actor, Joe Laughlin, on the hit television show Shadowland, Hollywood star Robin Chadwick Cassidy is ready for a change. Joe’s character embodies the real demons of Robin’s past—his struggle with his sexuality, his battle with alcoholism—and portraying the part h
E
May 17, 2012 E rated it it was amazing
I can NEVER get enough of Jules and Robin....EVER! Short, but perfect! Thanks Suzanne for indulging this crazy fan with the perfect Jules and Robin fix!
Yvonne
May 30, 2012 Yvonne rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
That was quick! I was hoping for more. If you were looking for lots of Jules & Robin, lower your expectations. There's only 6 chapters with 3 of the chapters about Shadowlands, Robin's TV show & showing Robin as his TV character Joe Laughlin. The remaining 3 chapters gives a brief glimpse of Jules & Robin & them making a decision for their future.

The story ends at 75% on my kindle. The remaining 25% is an excerpt from Hot Target (and not even an excerpt with Jules & Robin bu
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Jul 02, 2012 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the series
These stories were too short for anyone who is not following the Troubleshooters series. Those of us who have read All Through the Night: A Troubleshooter Christmas will appreciate this more than those who have not.

One extremely hot sex scene but not too explicit for newbies to male-male relationships.

Simply excellent. The only problem is the whole thing is too short.
Duchess Nicole
I love Jules and Robin, and was really looking forward to spending time with them. But most of this short was told as Robin in character for his TV show. There was very little Jules. BooHoo!

Still, it's worth reading. It just brought me back into Troubleshooter world and disappointed me. Since the series has ended, all this did was make me a little sad. But Jules and Robin get a sweet little HEA! So there you go.
Mindy
Jan 05, 2014 Mindy rated it it was ok
I have said this in other reviews of Brockmann's books (see this review), but when it comes to Jules and Robin, Brockmann has a tendency to become preachy.

I get that Brockmann's son has struggled to thrive in a often anti-gay culture. I get that she loves her son and wants to normalize his lifestyle. I even get that she would choose to use her gift of storytelling to get her message of acceptance out to the larger heterosexual community. And I'm ok with that, really I am. Force of Nature was on
Jade
This low rating has nothing to do with the little that we got to see of Robin and Jules, but it has everything to do with the lack of story that I paid for. If this was a free short story whatever I don't think I would have minded, but this was 2 dollars for a whole lot of nothing. We got more scenes about Joe Laughlin than we did of the actual "real" characters. To me that's kind of bullshit. I wanted to read about Jules and Robin and I got maybe 2 small scenes of them and the rest was
Catherine
All these years later and I still can't get enough of Jules and Robin! They were the first M/M couple I'd come across in a romance novel and I fell for them both - hard.

This short story was a touching vignette which basically drew one phase of their lives together to a close and set the ball rolling for the next major step in their relationship. And when the two men are on the page together as a couple, it's magic. Seriously swoony territory. Unfortunately, Brockmann splits the focus so evenly
Diana
Sep 29, 2015 Diana rated it really liked it
I decided to read this because short stories are about the only fun reading I have time for at the moment. I'm glad I had some knowledge of the series because I would have been a bit lost. Truthfully though it didn't seem to me that you had to have read every other book in the series to be able to know what was going on in this. This is an M/M romance about an actor who has what's known as character bleed and isn't sure he wants to keep going. His FBI husband is there to help him through the dec ...more
Anna
3.5 stars: I liked this more than I was expecting due to some reviews I read before reading this. I missed Jules and Robin and I'm so sad this is the last we read of them because they were a truly amazing couple. Loved their scenes together, and I also surprisingly loved the scenes where it was about Joe, the character Robin was playing for his series; I really got into it, to be honest! So yeah, great short read that reminded me just how great these two are and how much I missed them.
Melissa
Jun 01, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Super short yes, but it IS a short story and I read other reviews beforehand so I knew to expect it to be a quick read. I loved it! I'll take a little Jules and Robin any day. I thought the story was written in a really unique way. I loved the fictional story about Joe. Really touching. Of course I was disappointed that it wasn't longer but like I said, I loved this update and so glad I got to read it.
Anke
Apr 30, 2012 Anke rated it it was amazing
74% on my kindle and it's already over. I feel cheated out of my last chapter:( Nevertheless, the story itself was wonderful. I had difficulties during the first few pages to get into the story, but then I couldn't stop. I hope we don't have to wait too long for the next part of Robin's and Jules' story.
KellBell
Jan 30, 2013 KellBell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
A REALLY short, REALLY quick read about Jules, Robin, and (mostly) the character Robin plays. Since I was in the mood for some Troubleshooters and a quick read (since I have work tomorrow and can't be up reading too late), this was perfect.

And when I say short, I mean short. Less than an hour of reading time here.
PepperP0t
Well written novella focusing on Jules & Robin. With a synopsis this accurate & a story this short, no need to expound. It also doesn't really impact the overall arc of the series, I'd say it's for fans of this couple & completists only.
Jess Candela
May 31, 2012 Jess Candela rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, read-in-2012
4.5
I loved revisiting Jules and Robin, and I thought learning more about them through the character Robin plays was a fun way to do it.
Jenifer Mohammed
Mar 30, 2014 Jenifer Mohammed rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, romance
A short but sweet story. I love to see how Jules and Robin's relationship has evolved over the years. Can't wait to see what happens next for them.
Wendy
Jan 12, 2016 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: jan-16
I enjoyed this novella
Heather
Robin and Jules short story.
Melanie Mathews
Oct 16, 2013 Melanie Mathews rated it really liked it
I loved this little story. I cannot get enough of Jules and Robin! This novella was in my opinion was kind of like someone giving me a bite of the most delicious cheesecake and then saying ok that is all you get! I mean, I know it is a novella but it's so sure! One thing that kind of bugs me about it was there was too much about the end of the series. I would've liked to have more Jules and Robin. I felt like there was way too much about the t.v show Robin stared in and not enough Jules and Robi ...more
loved it. Unlike other reviewers I thought Art used Robin's strength in his "Joe". There was lots of symbolism in this short.

Quick fun read. Jules and Robin are the best together.
Tara
Jun 20, 2012 Tara rated it really liked it
I understand now what people mean when they complain that for a book about Robin and Jules there wasn't a ton of Robin & Jules. I had assumed prior to reading it that it meant that there was a lot Sam & Alyssa or something like that.

But what happened in this story is we are reading about Robin's TV series and the script of what is happening on it. And I think what is more frustrating is that the character Robing is playing, Joe Laughlin, is almost exactly like Robin from his first few b
Brenda (b)
This was a quick read for me, I started it while waiting for The Kid at the orthodontist and finished it shortly after dinner. I liked the book a lot. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, but it wasn't quite this. Robin and Jules are the focus of this short story, but most of it is actually some scenes from the series that Robin stars in. Just going by what was presented here, I actually felt a connection forming with Robin's character, Joe (he was so much like Robin used to be that it was ...more
Jennie
Sep 28, 2012 Jennie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-september
I love the Troubleshooters series, so I was thrilled to see this finally. Then I read this and was disappointed. I did like this story, but I felt that it could have been a lot more. The TV show segments were confusing and I didn't really care for them, because I'm here to read about Robin and Jules, not the fictional character a fictional character is portraying.

I really wish there would have been more on the baby plot. I think that would have been a lot better use of the novel. Sure, end the s
Debbie
Jan 04, 2013 Debbie rated it it was ok
I love Jules and Robin, so was looking forward to this, and anxiously pre-ordered it as soon as it was possible to do so. I eagerly downloaded it on the 1st and read it on the train ride into work the next day and found myself... confused? gipped? disappointed?

I happily paid $2 for a short story about Jules and Robin. Instead, I got a hodgepodge of somewhat confusing scenes that alternated between Robin's Shadowland character's life and small glimpses into his real life, and not much of Jules at
Dawn
Oct 05, 2015 Dawn rated it really liked it
Beginnings and Ends (short story)
Troubleshooters series #17.5

Short story featuring Robin & Jules. This specifically revolves around Robin's acclaimed cable series "Shadowland" which has been referred to in previous books as being very challenging for him as an actor as well as personally because it is based somewhat on his real-life experiences of being an alcoholic and an A-list actor facing the dilemma of coming out as a gay man and facing the potential loss of work, fame, income, friendsh
Xenos
Jun 05, 2012 Xenos rated it really liked it
Finally, some new "Troubleshooters" goodness!!! Although not the typical action-filled story I've come to expect from Suzanne Brockmann and although waaaaaay too short (sorry, I can never get enough when it comes to my Troubleshooters), it was wonderful to catch up with Jules and Robin.

Without giving too much away, we get a glimpse at "Shadowlands" (Robin's television show) and how it reflects Robin's own life story and the toll it's taking on him. We also get to share the joy as Jules and Robin
Kaje Harper
May 24, 2012 Kaje Harper rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, short-story
This had to get four stars, because I love Jules and Robin. It is very short, and the more intense parts are the first-person snippets of Robin's TV series character Joe and his suffocating closeted life. I was dismayed by how much of the total volume was promo (especially promo for Hot Target - because how many people reading this snippet haven't already read that one? I love, love that book, but if you haven't read it yet, don't bother with this one.) Suzanne Brockmann writes well, as always. ...more
lielabell
Oct 16, 2013 lielabell rated it it was amazing
This book was just one big D'AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Seriously, I think I started to coo midway through the first page and didn't stop until I put the book down. And then instantly texted my bestie with "Finished Beginnings and Ends. OMG AMAZING." because OMG AMAZING.

Just... Robin and Jules. If you've read any of the Robin and Jules books, you understand. If you haven't, dude. GO READ 'EM NOW. And then you will understand too.

My only complaint is that the short story was so short. I wanted ten times
The Literacy Advocate
A lovely gift from the uber-talented Suzanne Brockmann, this story gives us more in the lives of government operative Jules Cassidy and his husband, actor Robin Chadwick Cassidy. As is every single book and novella in this series, this story is heartwarming, gut-wrenching, and so, so satisfying. The audiobook, narrated by the fabulous Patrick Lawlor, is an outstanding listen; Patrick is the voice of the Troubleshooters. If only Ms. Brockmann will write us more Troubleshooters...

P.S. This series
marieno
Jul 17, 2012 marieno rated it liked it
I'm such a fan of Robin and Jules that I was grateful for this short story. First we follow Joe, Robin's character in Shadowland. Robin is ready to quit the show and the creator is over the moon about that. They give Joe his happy ending. It's a botched happy ending, but it's credible; after all, a lot of TV shows rushed their ending. Then, Robin is ready to be a stay-at-home dad and wants to use a surrogate that will have Jules' baby. He's afraid the baby is gonna inherit his alcoholism. Happy ...more
  • In the Dark (PsyCop #6.1)
  • Heaven Can't Wait (I-Team, #1.5)
  • Sort of Stranger Than Fiction (Petit Morts, #7)
  • Leave No Trace (Black Ops Inc., #5.5)
  • Ghosts and Flames
  • Miracle of the Bellskis (Bellskis, #2)
  • Decadence (Dominion, #0.2)
  • At His Whim (His #1)
  • Long Gone (SEAL Team 12, #8)
  • Guardian (Dark Ops, #5)
  • Guns and Roses (Includes: PI Julie Collins; Bobbie Faye, #3.5; Rough Riders; Bullet Catcher; Shadow Stalkers, #3; Housewife Assassin)
  • A Very Shaney Valentine's Day (Lost Shifters #17)
  • Home Ice
  • Happy Birthday to Me (Task Force Iota #2.5)
  • Of Russian Myth and Lore (Russian Bear #3.5)
  • A Wizard in a Feud (Rogue Wizard, #10)
  • All or Nothing (Taking the Odds, #3)
Suzanne Brockmann was born in 1960. Married to Ed Gaffney, a lawyer and published writer. They have two grown children: Melanie, who is a personal trainer and author, and Jason, who is an actor and tap dancer. They divide their time between Boston, Massachusetts, Sarasota, Florida and New York City.

Published since 1993, Suzanne is widely recognized as one of the leading voices in suspense romance
More about Suzanne Brockmann...

Troubleshooters (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Unsung Hero (Troubleshooters, #1)
  • The Defiant Hero (Troubleshooters, #2)
  • Over the Edge (Troubleshooters, #3)
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
  • Into the Night (Troubleshooters, #5)
  • Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6)
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
  • Hot Target (Troubleshooters, #8)
  • Breaking Point (Troubleshooters, #9)
  • Into the Storm (Troubleshooters, #10)