Start by marking “Uncle Vampire” as Want to Read:
Uncle Vampire

Uncle Vampire

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Sixteen-year-old Caroline and her twin sister Honey know for sure that their Uncle Toddy is a vampire who comes at night to drink their blood but fear of the consequences makes them keep their terrible secret.
Paperback
Published April 11th 1995 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Uncle Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncle Vampire

Golden Blood by Melissa PearlBeyond Oria Falls by Sheryl SealSilent Treatment by Jackie WilliamsReVamped by Ada AdamsCircle of Five by Jan Raymond
Best Unknown Young Adult Books
150th out of 708 books — 1,439 voters
Speak by Laurie Halse AndersonJust Listen by Sarah DessenSome Boys by Patty BlountThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskySpilled Milk by K.L. Randis
Young Adult Books About Rape & Sexual Abuse
31st out of 122 books — 172 voters

More lists with this book...

MAP
I'm really surprised the summary at the top of Goodreads lays it all about the sexual abuse...I'm sure the metaphoric descriptions throughout the book would be obvious to an adult, but for me, a sheltered 11 year old reading it in 1995, it was a HUGE plot twist (but not the only plot twist) when it was finally revealed with "He fucks us." (I do think it may have been the first time I'd ever seen the word "fuck" in print as well.)

Obviously it stuck in my memory, for me to remember so well after n
Monique
So wanted something quick as I contemplate my next reading (will it be something from my personal library as I always seem to neglect books that I compulsively buy/borrow from everywhere or some library treasure in my never ending pile of to-be read books) and while I research and ponder I decided to try this Young Adult novel that boasts a major plot twist and a secret you have to read to the end to find out and it was just as short and straightforward as I hoped..good message but kinda juvenil ...more
Ange
As a child, I probably would have rated this at 4. After re-reading it now as an adult, I would rate it at 2 (only ok). And so to be fair, I took the average between the two and gave it 3 stars.

This book, as you can tell by the previous paragraph, is a re-read for me. It's a fairly easy read, one that I finished in a day, both then and now. I remember really liking it as a child, since the plot twists at the end completely took me by surprise. However, as an adult, it struck me as a bit too simp
Aubry Newth
This book goes through the symptoms of a girl who was raped by her uncle and find's in her older year's that she is not a twin and her uncle was not a vampire he was just a sick guy and she has to find the strength to find her way and let other help and let them in.
Leah Goodreau
Oh Lord Almighty, what am I going to say about this book?

It shocked me, which I was really unprepared for because I thought it was kind of, you know, all there in the summary (No, it's not really a vampire book: don't set yourself up for disappointment. Summaries are your friends). But parts of the story really took me by surprise in the best, internal-gasping, what-the-heck-was-that way. Apart from that, it really isn't a very complicated plot.

However, it gets very emotionally complicated. May
Gabrielle
A book I paused to ponder for awhile once I had finished it.

At the age I am now, the truth was obvious to me. Yet, dispensing disbelief as the age group it was primarily written for it would contain a huge shock. I think it is a good way to explore 'forbidden' topics with young adults (age 10-24).

I would recommend it to anyone over 12.
Timothy
I cried on the subway at the end.
Leanna
Dec 03, 2012 Leanna added it
Shelves: from-my-past
Holy spoiler alert in the plot synopsis! Anyways, I just remembered reading this as a younger teen, and I was unprepared for the big twists. Honey's identity was really surprising. I think I may have read this more than once, trying to see exactly how the narrator had "tricked" me. I'm not going to rate it, because I don't think it's appropriate to "like" this kind of story... but it was very affecting and I think it was well-written.
Andrea Cleland
I found this book during my library's large reading product and had a sneaking suspicion about the Uncle's vampirism. My fears were confirmed after reading it. This is not a novel for vampire lovers (or young readers) whatsoever, but fans of Black Swan may enjoy it. It will stay on the shelves where I hope those dealing with sexual abuse and psychological disorders will find it.
Natasha
This story is disturbing, horrifying, and hte ending will make you cringe. But I cannot stress how horrifyingly real it all is. As someone who can relate to Carolyn, I wish I could make this required reading. It isn't a spectacular book by any means, but it's a story that needs to be told, and told often.
Thalia
I was about 4 chapters into the book when I had to just skip to the ending to see what eventually happened because the story did a poor job at grasping my attention. Throughout the book, the context is just carolyn complaining and whining that her uncle is a vampire. I disliked it.
Yumna
I read this book a few years ago during summer break one time. I was still quite young and did not know that the book was about sexual abuse until I started reading it. The plot twist ending still gives me chills. I have a feeling that I will always remember this book.
Lesley
Not what I thought......probably the worst book I've ever read and was totally pissed off and grossed out by the end of the book. I physically threw this book in the garbarge when I was done.
Lisa Mcbroom
Suspenful story of two sisters who are terrified of Uncle Todd. He is a vampire who preys upon them or is he a part of their broken psyches?
Anne
Read this when I was in high school. It's a hard read. It's a very dark subject to write about but Cynthia Grant does it well
Elizabeth Lund
Excellent. Reminds me of Speak in some ways. Well-done treatment of a common but important subject.
Jess
It's only getting two stars instead of one because her intentions were good.
Leslye
not for young readers! a chilling feeling after reading.
Tracey
HORRIBE Book,
Wolfmoon
Wolfmoon marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
MJ
MJ marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Elle Robertson
Elle Robertson marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Chynn Dan
Chynn Dan marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Maya Bolyard
Maya Bolyard marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Tori Tilton
Tori Tilton marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Weeping Willow
  • The Girl in the Box
  • The Dear One
  • My Sister, the Vampire
  • Vampire Game, Vol. 14 (Vampire Game, #14)
  • Fatal Bargain (Vampire's Promise, #3)
  • Sex Education
  • The Undertaker's Gone Bananas
  • Finding Daddy
  • The Star Fisher
  • The Not-So-Star-Spangled Life of Sunita Sen
Cynthia D. Grant is the award-winning author of "Mary Wolf" and "The White Horse." She is a popular American author who writes novels about growing up. Her books appeal to young adults who want to read stories about life in the real world. As Grant commented in an interview with Authors and Artists for Young Adults, "Since 1980 I have published ten books for children and young adults, primarily fo ...more
More about Cynthia D. Grant...
White Horse Mary Wolf Phoenix Rising: Or How to Survive Your Life Cannibals Shadow Man