Start by marking “Misfortune Cookie” as Want to Read:
Misfortune Cookie

Misfortune Cookie (Single in the City #2)

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  268 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Would you move 6,000 miles to be with the love of your life?

Hannah did. Unfortunately her plan isn't going terribly well. What was supposed to be a move to Hong Kong to start a wonderful new life with Sam is turning into a move to Hong Kong to spend occasional weekends with Sam, when he can get away from an unanticipated work assignment on the opposite side of the South Ch
Published 2012

To ask other readers questions about Misfortune Cookie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Misfortune Cookie

Tonya
Oh Hannah how I love you! Hannah is one of my favorite leading ladies. She makes me laugh non-stop. She is clumsy, awkward at times and just generally like me. This is the second book where Hannah follows her boyfriend from London to Hong Kong. Sam doesn't ask her to move, but she does. Might be a bit easier that when she just up and moved from the US to London, not knowing anyone there, or even having a job lined up.

Once again Hannah didn't get a work permit but she stumbled upon the perfect j
SOS Aloha
A Buddha is someone who finds freedom in good fortune and bad. - Bodhidharma

I requested to review MISFORTUNE COOKIE for its unique storyline - an “American in Hong Kong”. I am a “Haole in Hawaii” and have become fascinated with Asian culture. MISFORTUNE COOKIE is the second book about Hannah, a twenty something American seeking fulfillment in far flung places. The first book, SINGLE IN THE CITY, details why Hannah moved to London and how she coped with the culture shock. The second book, MISFORT
Samantha Janning
Misfortune Cookie the follow-up novel of Single in the City by Michele Gorman, and I actually liked it better than the first! Once again we become BFF’s with Hannah, who decides to take a second leap of fate and move from London to Hong Kong to be with boyfriend Sam. It’s a fortune cookie that helped her make the decision. Following your heart will pay off in the near future. Hannah is thrilled that her own best friend Stacy is also making the move with her. Hannah manages to secure a job in fas ...more
Tuesday
For more of my reviews: http:ravenous-reader-book-reviews.blogspot.com

I think there are times in our adult, grown up lives where we don't want to remember that we had ever been desperately in love like with someone who didn't like love us back as much. I really think like hurts a little more than love sometimes, because once you get over the fact that he never really liked you as much as you loved him, that you realize it never was love at all. Then when you do find true, real love, you realize
Selena Paulsen
Misfortune Cookie is the follow-up to Michelle Gorman's Chick Lit debut, Single in the City. Like its predecessor, this novel follows the international meanderings of somewhat ditzy protagonist, Hannah, her varied love interests, and her best friend, Stacy. While Chick Lit isn't typically a heavy genre, and Hannah isn't a "deep" girl, Misfortune Cookie is a cut above the typical novel of its type.

One of the beauties of the book is its less common setting in Hong Kong (rather than the standard Ch
Andrea
Oh how I love Hannah and her adventures!
Misfortune Cookie was an amazing book, it was not as funny as Single in the City, but it was totally worth my time.

This book picks up right where single in the city left us...Hannah was asked by her boyfriend to move to Hong Kong and she does! Things don't go out the way she expects them to at first...especially when it to comes to her relationship with Sam. Along the way we not only get to know Hong Kong and various parts of China (once again just like
Gaby
The title and the cover art were both creative and pretty. Sadly, those are the only two things I liked about this book. Ultimately, this was not my kind of book in any way and I have no interest in other offerings from Gorman.

The protagonist is a whiny, needy, jealous, insecure, immature, bumbling idiot. She rambles on and on for pages about being alone in the city when she was supposed to be there with her boyfriend, who's a workaholic and doesn't visit as often as she needs him to. So she wan
Rose Cimarron
[2012-04-29]Excellent book.

[2012-05-26]

Misfortune Cookie by Michele Gorman

I received this ebook from Michele Gorman to read and review. I read it quite quickly after receiving it, but real life has got in the way of me writing a full review any sooner, for which I apologise.

Misfortune Cookie is a fun read, falling clearly into the chicklit genre. It is a testament to Michele's writing ability that at the same time time that she makes her main character, Hannah, a rather selfish and quite self-ce
Angie
Hannah seems, on the surface, to be a self absorbed ditz, which I have to admit in the beginning of the book completely irritated me beyond belief. Having not read the previous book first it took me a while to find all the redeeming qualities in her character. In this book, Hannah seems to be "growing" into a better person. I love the interaction between characters. I look forward to seeing what Hannah does in the next installment...cause honestly with that ending there HAS to be another one.

Thi
Kelly
Misfortune Cookie is the first book I have read by Michele Gorman. I would give a solid 3.5 to 4 stars. This is a fun chick lit book set in Hong Kong. I know next to nothing about Hong Kong except maybe where to find it on a map. This is the first book I have read set in this city too. Lately I have been reading more mysteries so this was fresh change of pace for me. THis story is about Hannah, a great girl, someone a lot of us can relate to as she embarks on a new life in a new exotic city. Thi ...more
Katrin
Loved it from beginning to end!
I´ve read "Single in the City" not long ago and loved the fact, that Michele Gorman decided to write a sequel. I was eagerly waiting (and voting), watching her homepage for updates.

I´ve never been to Hong Kong, but it wasn´t hard to get a picture of the city the way Gorman described it. I could see myself wandering the streets with Hannah and Stacy!

Hannah has new adventures before her, job- and love wise. And while I found her in "Single in the City" really fun bu
Jessica
Mixed review. The main character, Hannah, was a likeable enough ditz. I didn't feel she really developed enough over the course of the book - although we are told she grew, we don't actually see it. The Hong Kong setting provides some fun color, but isn't provided in a way that really adds to the story. Still, I liked it enough to keep reading to the end. Beach reading.

Full review is on my blog:

Lori
I really enjoyed Michele's first book and this one was just as good. I need another installment because I need to know what happens next! I have never been to London or to Hong Kong and so I love seeing these worlds through Hannah's eyes. She seems like a very real character. I can relate to her and I enjoy her. I would like spend time with her and her friends. I also feel like I learned a little bit but that was secondary to the overall entertainment of reading this well-written, fun book.
Jenny Franklin
I was sent an e-book copy of Misfortune Cookie by Michele Gorman. I did not know that this book was a follow up of Gormans Single in the City until I was looking it up afterwards. I never felt like I didn't know what was happening or going on, it was a nice quick read and I would like to go back and read Single in the City to see what I missed. I really liked the culture in this book, you got to know things about Hong Kong through the descriptions. I think this was a really fun book.
Jessica  Sinn (Chick Lit Cafe)
This is a fun, fast read that is sure to entertain fans of Sophie Kinsella (Shopaholic series) and Helen Fielding (Bridget Jone’s Diary). Hannah’s hilarious inner dialogue and many awkward moments had me giggling throughout the book. If you’re looking for something light and amusing, check this one out. Hop over to Chick Lit Cafe for the full review!

Lydia
Ugh. I will not say that this book is terrible, but I will not say it is great either. I enjoyed the first book in this simple series but this sequel pales in comparison. All the main character does is whine and its all over some dude. Self-righteous feminists stay away, you will gag at the neediness and clinginess of the girl in this book. Not a recommendation and I will not finish this series.
Susan Linklater
I didn't think I could like this book more than Michelle Gorman's first one, but I did! Hannah has grown up a bit, and it was fascinating seeing Hong Kong through her eyes. And I really felt for her in her relationship with Sam. Reading about her feelings definitely struck a chord, and reminded me of some of my past too. Gorman wrote from the heart on this one.
Amy
Yay! This is a follow up book to Single in the City- a great follow-up! I really liked this book. The main character, Hannah is lovable and smart and finally coming into her own! This is chick-lit at its best... Remember the name, Michele Gorman- an author that will definitely continue to delight!
Claire

I really enjoyed this book. After looking it up I learned that it was the second in a series, but I never felt like I didn't know what was going on. It was a quick read that kept me entertained the entire time. I really hope the author writes a third installment!!
Sunshinedance
Great book! I liked the funny,fast paced and upbeat dialogue. Hope there is a sequel to this book!
Rachel Gilbey
It occurred to me part way through reading this second book in the series, how much this appears to be a cheap attempt at the exact same sub genre that Lindsay Kelk's I Heart Series and Becky Wicks Travel Diaries series seem to be going for.

As much I as I did enjoy reading this book, I feel its still lacking something compared with the other authors I just mentioned.

That being said, I would read more in the series, equally I would read more by the author as it is a light hearted humurous read.
Hannah (Jaedia)
Misfortune Cookie allowed Michele’s readers and Hannah’s fans to decide the direction the story would take and oh what a beauty they chose! After moving to Hong Kong to be with her boyfriend, Sam, Hannah has come to realise that there is in fact trouble in paradise. Sam is away in Vietnam for work more often than he’s home and they aren’t living together. At all. On top of that she is positive that he’s cheating on her.

Where Single in the City was published by Penguin in the UK, Misfortune Cooki
Melissa
This review was originally posted on Melissa's Midnight Musings
Melissa's Musings:

This book was an absolute joy to read. I can't believe that I didn't get to it sooner, I wish that I had. This book is just so much fun. You get to take part in Hannah's journey's first hand as she moves to Hong Kong to be with her boyfriend Sam. You get to experience her ups and downs as she adjusts to life in another new country, (she lived in London, England before moving to Hong Kong) and you get to watch her re
Meredith Schorr

In this sequel to Single in the City, Hannah has moved to Hong Kong for her new boyfriend Sam. It is questionable to Hannah's friends and family whether Sam asked her to move WITH him or simply suggested she might want to move there as well, but Hannah is head over heels in love with Sam and is convinced they are a match made in Heaven. So, Hannah packs up and moves to Hong Kong almost as spontaneously as she moved from the states to London the year before. But this time, her bestie Sta
Lydia Laceby
Originally reviewed at Novel Escapes

Misfortune Cookie (fantastic title!) is the follow up to Michele Gorman’s hilarious first novel, Single in the City, and it was just as fun to read as the first in the series. Laugh out loud funny in places, cringe inducing in others, Hannah is a likeable, albeit misguided character at times, and I really enjoyed reading about her adventures in Hong Kong.

Misfortune Cookie has fantastic descriptions of Hong Kong which has increased my travel bug to head east e
Lyndsay
Would you travel 6,000 miles, halfway around the world to be in the same city as your boyfriend? That's exactly what Hannah does in Michele Gorman's second novel, Misfortune Cookie - the sequel to Single in the City.

The idea sounded great. It was supposed to be exciting and romantic. However, things aren't going quite as planned. Instead of exploring Hong Kong with her boyfriend, Sam, Hannah is stuck in the foreign city alone while Sam is away on business more times than not.

Things start lookin
Rowena
This book follows Hannah from the book Single in the City by Michele Gorman as she moves from London to Hong Kong to be closer to her new boyfriend Sam. Sam and Hannah got together and then Sam gets a job offer in China and he’d be a fool to turn it down so he takes the job and not wanting to end his relationship with Hannah, tells her that she should think about moving there. He never said, move there with him but Hannah (like any normal woman in the world) assumed that he wanted her to move th ...more
BestChickLit.com
Admittedly when you first read the title of this novel some will feel their own internal pun machine groan. But don’t be put off; Hannah is our heroine, a young American who follows her boyfriend across the globe to be with him, initially ecstatic she realises that her idea relationship may not be so ideal after all.

This book has some wonderful moments and characters in it. The most interesting and sympathetic is the main character’s best friend Stacy, or “Stace” as she is referred to throughout
Lauren
This was my first book by Michele Gorman. I have read many different chick lit authors, and Michele fits right in, but in a unique way.

"Misfortune Cookie" was an easy read. The story was interesting to keep the reader entertained, but not so complex that one needed to be in a quiet room to enjoy. I really liked how the story took place in Hong Kong instead of L.A., London, or New York City. Most other stories feature those cities exclusively, and it was a nice change of pace to read about anothe
Jane Bigelow
This whole series is great reading fun. Esther Diamond is a struggling actress in New York, which would be a hard enough life without having to fight Evil. Destroying demons, or at least driving them away, is Hell on your love life as well as cutting into career development time.

Spoiler alert: I can't write about this book without mentioning events in earlier books. If you haven't read them, for pity's sake go get hold of them. I can wait.

We're in Chinatown for most of the book. That's after Est
  • What I Did On My Midlife Crisis Vacation
  • Letters In Cardboard Boxes
  • You Know Your Way Home: A Modern Initiation Journey
  • Coffee at Little Angels
  • Mistletoe in Manhattan
  • Henrietta the Dragon Slayer (The Five Kingdoms, #1)
  • Christmas in Wine Country
  • Elemental Magic (Elemental Magic, #1)
  • Four in the Morning
  • Free Falling
  • Sparks Off You
  • Twelve Months
  • Finding Compassion in China: A Bicycle Journey Into the Countryside
  • Strange Places (Finding Tayna, #1)
  • The Legend of Mickey Tussler
  • Until My Soul Gets It Right (The Bibliophiles #2)
  • Alice Brown's Lessons in the Curious Art of Dating
  • Renegade (Devoncroix Dynasty, #3)
193609
I write romantic comedy, including SINGLE IN THE CITY (the first in The Expat Diaries series) and BELLA SUMMER TAKES A CHANCE. Born and raised in the US, I lost my heart to London 16 years ago, where I've lived ever since. I've also turned my hand to upmarket commercial fiction under the pen name Jamie Scott.

I spend way too much time on twitter and facebook when I should be writing, so please com
More about Michele Gorman...
The Expat Diaries: Single in the City The Reluctant Elf The Twelve Days to Christmas (Single in the City) Christmas Carol Bella Summer Takes a Chance

“You’re right, nobody’s perfect. But in the right relationship, you’re going to be perfect for each other. Because you tick each other’s boxes in the things that matter to you. So you can overlook his snoring, or he can ignore your aversion to exercise, or whatever it is that doesn’t exactly align, as long as you each fulfil the big things, the important ones.” 1 likes