Start by marking “Peter and the Starcatcher: The Annotated Script of the Broadway Play” as Want to Read:
Peter and the Starcatcher: The Annotated Script of the Broadway Play

Peter and the Starcatcher: The Annotated Script of the Broadway Play

The hilarious script for the Broadway play Peter and the Starcatcher is presented along with commentary by the playwright, the directors, the composer, the set designer, and our own Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson. Filled with behind-the-scenes information and photos of the cast and crew, this annotated script will enchant and entertain fans of the book and the play alike.
Published June 5th 2012 by Disney Editions

To ask other readers questions about Peter and the Starcatcher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peter and the Starcatcher

Nadja A.
Einfach toll!! Das Stück hat super witzige Dialoge, die Story ist fantastisch genial und auch die Kommentare vom Autor und anderen Mitwirkenden sind total informativ.
Natürlich ersetzt es nicht den Besuch dieses tollen Theaterstücks (läuft momentan am Off-Broadway New World Stages Theater in NYC), aber ein schönes Memento eines unvergesslichen Theatererlebnisses.
Kim van de Kamp
Jul 12, 2013 Kim van de Kamp rated it it was amazing
Great play, while reading I could almost see and hear the actors, even though I haven't seen the play yet.
Kate
Jan 07, 2017 Kate rated it it was amazing
Loved the play; the annotated script is also fun
Tony Laplume
Nov 05, 2015 Tony Laplume rated it it was amazing
I was drawn to the books on which this play was based thanks to my love for Dave Barry and his historical, fictional predecessor, Peter Pan. Every time I come across someone who's never heard of Dave, I feel a need to clap my hands and chant, "I do believe in Dave, I do, I do!"

The curious thing critics noted at the publication of the first book, on which this play is based, was that Dave, and his co-writer Ridley Pearson, chose a somewhat moderate direction in crafting their prequel story, which
Ava Arkin
Sep 15, 2013 Ava Arkin rated it liked it
This book is a great read, it is the prequel to Peter Pan but in a play form. When Molly goes aboard a ship called the Neverland accompanied by her nanny Mrs.Bumbrake, her curiosity gets the best of her and she follows a sailor named Alf. When Alf leaves she meets three boys. The first named Prentiss who thinks he is the leader of the group, Ted who is completely food obsessed, and a strange boy named Boy. Molly takes the boys from under the ship and takes care of them. Molly's father, Aster on ...more
Judie
Sep 03, 2015 Judie rated it it was amazing
Most people have seen, or at least know, the story of Peter Pan, the lost boys, Captain Hook, Wendy, and all the other characters created by J. M. Barrie. Since the play’s opening in 1904, it has become a novel, a movie, a musical, and a perennial favorite.
But did you ever wonder what Peter and the Lost Boys were doing before they came to Neverland? How Peter Pan and Captain Hook met? Why does the crocodile have a clock inside? How did Tinkerbell come into being? Why Wendy?
In 2009, Dave Barr
Holden
Sep 14, 2014 Holden rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, plays
This is one of my favorite scripts. Now, I don't know if it would have the same impact on someone who hadn't seen a production, like I did (front row center with most of the original Broadway cast, no less), but I imagine it would. It's a wonderfully written, clever, hilarious, heartbreaking piece. My only criticism is that the sense of awe created by Roger Rees & Alex Timbers' incredible direction and stagecraft is lost in print (though pictures and annotations preserve some of it). The tex ...more
Neil
Feb 20, 2014 Neil rated it it was amazing
Elice's adaptation of Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson's young adult book is wonderful, creating a play that's more fun than any prior stage update of the old J.M. Barrie. This is a play that is made or failed by the embellishments of comic actors, by physical action, and by the very clever use of simple objects like ropes to delineate a variety of different locations for the action, so even though the script is good, reading it can't completely recreate the live experience. I saw a primo productio ...more
Andrew
Dec 26, 2012 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I had been really looking forward to reading this for a while. It did not dissapoint. A lot of things work in this. The characters are great, (especally Black Stache,) the story is very good and they way they tell it is great. The thing that made me love this as much as I did though was the amouunt of heart it had. That is one thing that I adore; when a script has so much heart such as ’’Our Town,’’ or, ’’Laughter on the 23rd Floor.’’ It definatley has become one of my favorites, and now I reall ...more
Melody
Jan 25, 2014 Melody rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays
I read the source material for this first, because I couldn't get my hands on a script at the time. And I fell in love. Enough that I had to remind myself that not everything in the novel was going to translate to the stage play. I found some changes at the end particularly interesting, and remain somewhat conflicted about what it means for the story. However, it's a beautiful piece that emphasizes the importance of imagination, and I would love to see it staged.
Cat.
Aug 21, 2012 Cat. rated it it was amazing
Lovely book that includes the script but also lots of notes from those involved in creating the story and show, as well as deleted scenes of interest that give a very interesting view of how the show evolved. I wouldn't mind seeing this (ahem). The only quibble I have is that the commentary in some of the notes got just a little precious at times.
Mike
Jun 04, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing
This book is a bit dark but still fun and a wonderful (unauthorized) prequel to the original Peter Pan books. I truly enjoyed both reading this book and listening to the audio book read by Jim Dale. If you are a fan of Peter Pan at all or just a Fairy Tale fanatic like me then please pick up this series!
Sue
Aug 04, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing
I am in love with this play, and the annotated script adds yet another dimension. It includes anecdotes from the creative team, production history, costume sketches, and so many insights. The play (I've seen it 5 times as of this review) is fantastic - perhaps one of my favorite pieces of theater ever - and the annotated script only serves to enhance the effect that it's had on me.
Jason
Jan 27, 2014 Jason rated it it was amazing
What an absolute joy to read! A great script, from a great book, and the notes and sketches and photos included in this annotated version truly bring this theatrical piece to life. SO looking forward to seeing this in March!
Mar 12, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
Bought this book when I saw the show last weekend. Not only is it the perfect souvenir, but it is also a fantastic read! Love reading the script along with the inside scoop about original versions and how certain parts of the show came to be. Want to be in this show someday!!
Ariella
Jun 21, 2012 Ariella rated it it was amazing
THIS IS SOOOOOOO INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! why must i live in la and not be able to see it!!!!!!!! THE SCRIPT IS AN INCREDIBLE ADAPTATION OF THE BOOK, BUT ALTHOUGH THE BOOK IS ACTION/ADVENTURE/FANTASY, THE PLAY IS COMPLETELY COMEDIC!!!!!!!
Claire
Wow! how did I not know- well people that know me know how I did not know- a play!
Would Love to see this!
I am going to see if Sherry knows!
Emily
Nov 16, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
This was a great play I saw... reading the script was really entertaining as well. Very well written.
Sally
Sep 10, 2013 Sally rated it liked it
Although I read the book rather than the play, I did enjoy it. In fact when I saw the play I was aggravated that they changed so much--and didn't need to for a fun read.
Amy Lee
Jun 04, 2016 Amy Lee rated it liked it
Shelves: drama, read-in-2016
Brilliant theatrical storytelling but the degree of blinkered white male privilege on display in the supplementary material is cringeworthy.
Lauryn Guerrieri
Jul 03, 2015 Lauryn Guerrieri rated it really liked it
I loved the play even more after reading this! So much wit and humor packed in every line that you miss on stage
Whitney Troxel
Apr 16, 2015 Whitney Troxel rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite play of all time. I saw it performed in New York 3 times. Reading it brought all the wonderful memories rushing back.
Emily Lewis
Sep 07, 2016 Emily Lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
A witty, heartfelt script, and an excess of gorgeous pictures, and lots of little notes and tidbits to tell the story of the story. What more could I dream for?
Sherry
Sherry rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Amanda Wilkerson
Amanda Wilkerson rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2014
Rodrigo Gómez Morales
Rodrigo Gómez Morales rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2015
Shandra Harper
Shandra Harper rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2015
Michael Mentz
Michael Mentz rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2013
Kristen
Jun 22, 2012 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Just simply amazing.
Jennifer Bunnell
Jennifer Bunnell rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Book Cover Needed 2 149 Jun 19, 2012 09:57PM
  • Other Desert Cities
  • Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
  • 4000 Miles
  • A Piece of My Heart
  • Passion Play (TCG Edition)
  • Master Class
  • Look, I Made a Hat: Collected Lyrics, 1981-2011, With Attendant Comments, Amplifications, Dogmas, Harangues, Digressions, Anecdotes, and Miscellany
  • Next to Normal