Start by marking “Peter and the Starcatcher: The Annotated Script of the Broadway Play” as Want to Read:
Peter and the Starcatcher: The Annotated Script of the Broadway Play

Peter and the Starcatcher: The Annotated Script of the Broadway Play

4.57 of 5 stars 4.57  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The hilarious script for the Broadway play Peter and the Starcatcher is presented along with commentary by the playwright, the directors, the composer, the set designer, and our own Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson. Filled with behind-the-scenes information and photos of the cast and crew, this annotated script will enchant and entertain fans of the book and the play alike.
Published June 5th 2012 by Disney Editions

To ask other readers questions about Peter and the Starcatcher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peter and the Starcatcher

Angels in America by Tony KushnerAugust by Tracy LettsArcadia by Tom StoppardThe Pillowman by Martin McDonaghThe History Boys by Alan Bennett
Best Plays Since 1990
43rd out of 124 books — 77 voters
Hamlet by William ShakespeareMacbeth by William ShakespeareThe Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar WildeRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Crucible by Arthur Miller
Best Play Ever
268th out of 411 books — 346 voters

More lists with this book...

Neil
Elice's adaptation of Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson's young adult book is wonderful, creating a play that's more fun than any prior stage update of the old J.M. Barrie. This is a play that is made or failed by the embellishments of comic actors, by physical action, and by the very clever use of simple objects like ropes to delineate a variety of different locations for the action, so even though the script is good, reading it can't completely recreate the live experience. I saw a primo productio ...more
Holden
This is one of my favorite scripts. Now, I don't know if it would have the same impact on someone who hadn't seen a production, like I did (front row center with most of the original Broadway cast, no less), but I imagine it would. It's a wonderfully written, clever, hilarious, heartbreaking piece. My only criticism is that the sense of awe created by Roger Rees & Alex Timbers' incredible direction and stagecraft is lost in print (though pictures and annotations preserve some of it). The tex ...more
Ava Arkin
This book is a great read, it is the prequel to Peter Pan but in a play form. When Molly goes aboard a ship called the Neverland accompanied by her nanny Mrs.Bumbrake, her curiosity gets the best of her and she follows a sailor named Alf. When Alf leaves she meets three boys. The first named Prentiss who thinks he is the leader of the group, Ted who is completely food obsessed, and a strange boy named Boy. Molly takes the boys from under the ship and takes care of them. Molly's father, Aster on ...more
Melody
I read the source material for this first, because I couldn't get my hands on a script at the time. And I fell in love. Enough that I had to remind myself that not everything in the novel was going to translate to the stage play. I found some changes at the end particularly interesting, and remain somewhat conflicted about what it means for the story. However, it's a beautiful piece that emphasizes the importance of imagination, and I would love to see it staged.
Bought this book when I saw the show last weekend. Not only is it the perfect souvenir, but it is also a fantastic read! Love reading the script along with the inside scoop about original versions and how certain parts of the show came to be. Want to be in this show someday!!
Andrew
I had been really looking forward to reading this for a while. It did not dissapoint. A lot of things work in this. The characters are great, (especally Black Stache,) the story is very good and they way they tell it is great. The thing that made me love this as much as I did though was the amouunt of heart it had. That is one thing that I adore; when a script has so much heart such as ’’Our Town,’’ or, ’’Laughter on the 23rd Floor.’’ It definatley has become one of my favorites, and now I reall ...more
Sue
I am in love with this play, and the annotated script adds yet another dimension. It includes anecdotes from the creative team, production history, costume sketches, and so many insights. The play (I've seen it 5 times as of this review) is fantastic - perhaps one of my favorite pieces of theater ever - and the annotated script only serves to enhance the effect that it's had on me.
Jason
What an absolute joy to read! A great script, from a great book, and the notes and sketches and photos included in this annotated version truly bring this theatrical piece to life. SO looking forward to seeing this in March!
Nadja
Einfach toll!! Das Stück hat super witzige Dialoge, die Story ist fantastisch genial und auch die Kommentare vom Autor und anderen Mitwirkenden sind total informativ.
Natürlich ersetzt es nicht den Besuch dieses tollen Theaterstücks (läuft momentan am Off-Broadway New World Stages Theater in NYC), aber ein schönes Memento eines unvergesslichen Theatererlebnisses.
L.
Lovely book that includes the script but also lots of notes from those involved in creating the story and show, as well as deleted scenes of interest that give a very interesting view of how the show evolved. I wouldn't mind seeing this (ahem). The only quibble I have is that the commentary in some of the notes got just a little precious at times.
Mike
This book is a bit dark but still fun and a wonderful (unauthorized) prequel to the original Peter Pan books. I truly enjoyed both reading this book and listening to the audio book read by Jim Dale. If you are a fan of Peter Pan at all or just a Fairy Tale fanatic like me then please pick up this series!
Ariella
THIS IS SOOOOOOO INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! why must i live in la and not be able to see it!!!!!!!! THE SCRIPT IS AN INCREDIBLE ADAPTATION OF THE BOOK, BUT ALTHOUGH THE BOOK IS ACTION/ADVENTURE/FANTASY, THE PLAY IS COMPLETELY COMEDIC!!!!!!!
Sally
Although I read the book rather than the play, I did enjoy it. In fact when I saw the play I was aggravated that they changed so much--and didn't need to for a fun read.
Claire
Wow! how did I not know- well people that know me know how I did not know- a play!
Would Love to see this!
I am going to see if Sherry knows!
Emily
This was a great play I saw... reading the script was really entertaining as well. Very well written.
Kim van de Kamp
Great play, while reading I could almost see and hear the actors, even though I haven't seen the play yet.
Loved reading the commentary and gleaning the background behind this spectacular play.
Kathrin
celebrating the sound of words, the transformation of actors, the thrill of imagination
Donna
Loved this play. After reading the script, I'd love to see it again.
Kristen
Amazing. Just simply amazing.
Chris
BRILLIANT!
Paige Borak
Paige Borak marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Aaron
Aaron added it
Dec 18, 2014
Araceli Aguilar
Araceli Aguilar marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Stephen Murray
Stephen Murray marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Amritadhall
Amritadhall marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Isabel Siragusa
Isabel Siragusa marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Taraa Davis
Taraa Davis marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
  • Master Class
  • Almost, Maine
  • In the Next Room, or the vibrator play
  • The 39 Steps: A Play
  • Look, I Made a Hat: Collected Lyrics, 1981-2011, With Attendant Comments, Amplifications, Dogmas, Harangues, Digressions, Anecdotes, and Miscellany
  • Water by the Spoonful
  • Three Plays: Gruesome Playground Injuries / Animals Out of Paper / Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo
  • Broadway Musicals: The 101 Greatest Shows of All Time
  • Machinal
Peter and the Starcatcher (Acting Edition) The Addams Family: A New Musical Comedy The Addams Family: Piano/Vocal Selections