Start by marking “The Fading” as Want to Read:
The Fading

The Fading

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU COULD BECOME INVISIBLE?

A GIFT

Since childhood, Noel Shaker has been able to disappear, without warning or explanation.

A CURSE

But his gift leaves Noel alone and afraid - and the more he tries to control it, the nearer he comes to madness.

A DISCOVERY

When Noel learns that some people can see him - and that his power has unleashed an otherworldly

Published June 24th 2012 (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Fading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fading

KC
Jan 05, 2013 KC rated it did not like it
It honestly amazes me how some things get published, it really does. This is the worst book I have read in a very long time, I couldn't even finish it it was that bad (and I am very persistent usually). It's very, very badly written- all exposition, lazy and clumsy. Characters are poorly fleshed-out rip offs from Stephen King novels based on stereotypes- the unambiguous doting mother, the works-all-the-hours-god-sends-to-provide-for-his-family father. The gossipy old lady from across the ...more
Sarah Briggs
Jul 25, 2012 Sarah Briggs rated it liked it
Okay, so I don't normally read horror books. Not because I wimp out (although one adult horror I read as a child still freaks me out to this day and there's no way I ever want to be reminded of it again), but because I find that they're normally not well done enough. There's a fine balance between a book with too much horror and a book with not enough.

I was actually kind of disappointed in this book. I thought it started far too early and it took a while to get to the actual plot. I think a lot
Siobhan
Jun 20, 2015 Siobhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my personal opinion, after reading all of Christopher Ransom’s books, this is his best piece of work and hasn’t been giving the recognition that his other books (particularly The Birthing House and The People Next Door) have been given.

If you’ve read any of his other books I would most certainly recommend this one – or if this is your first Christopher Ransom book it’s a good place to start. The plot is easy to keep up with, keeping you gripped until the very end. It offers you a lot to think
Lynn
May 30, 2012 Lynn rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-horror
Intriguing yet philosophically disturbing!

Ransom has taken a seemingly un-horrific idea and transformed it into a nightmarish disposition. The main character is born with a talent that he's yet to understand and like many homosapiens, he uses this power selfishly. As with any talents there is always a down side and when Noel Shaker tries to gain control of his gift,he unwittingly releases an otherwordly evil.

Written with such aplomb, I was left reeling with indecision after finishing this book
Siobhan
Oct 24, 2012 Siobhan rated it really liked it
i'd like to say i loved this book but i didnt i liked it!it was very slow and didnt really go anywhere! however i did finish it!
Tim Spindler
Jul 28, 2012 Tim Spindler rated it liked it
I liked this book and I wish I could award half stars, as this is deserving of a 3 and a half.
While not the best thing you'll ever read, the fading is a great story with strong characters, great plot twists, fine dialogue and enough scares to keep you turning the pages into the early hours of the morning.
One thing I must applaud is ransom's ability to scare the living sh*t out of you in a single page. A seemingly normal situation is quickly and seamlessly turned into a horrifying situation th
Simon West-Bulford
Oct 21, 2013 Simon West-Bulford rated it really liked it
I don't believe the book deserves some of the scathing reviews it's received.
I liked the concept, and the opening chapter was creepy enough to keep me reading. While it's probably true to say that the characters surrounding Noel were at times bog standard, I didn't have a problem with this. I found Dalton to be really quite disturbingly drawn, and the climax between these two riveting. Yep, I like this one quite a lot. Kept me interested the whole way.
Barbara Elsborg
Sep 26, 2013 Barbara Elsborg rated it liked it
Three and a half stars - I enjoyed it - a fast read, scary in places, very clever in others and always insightful. What would it be like if you sometimes disappeared - and weren't able to control when it happened? I think the author does a good job in making the reader think what it would be like to be in Noel's shoes. Reminiscent of King and Koontz and just as good in my opinion.
Christopher Dodds
Feb 11, 2013 Christopher Dodds rated it really liked it
It was a great book with an interesting plot about how the character reacts to his ability and wrestles with the morality at times of how he should use it. It has some great moments of humour in it as well as some dark ones, but had a great if not the typical happy ending
Rob Damon
Feb 25, 2013 Rob Damon rated it did not like it
An interesting idea but the book failed to impress me. The main character was likable but the story line had no real strategy and seemed more like a gratuitous ride into the world of gambling/drugs/hideous people.
Helen
Sep 18, 2012 Helen rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, it had some genuinely creepy moments and the action was fast enough to keep you hooked. As with Ransom's previous books, the writing was fluid, making it an easy read. My only criticism is that the end felt a bit like a rush-job, it kind of let the rest of the book down.
Mike Evans
Nov 08, 2013 Mike Evans rated it really liked it
A canny book and really enjoyed it once fully got into it. If a book fails to really capture me after a few pages I'm a bit of a defeatist and give up. In this instance I'm glad I didn't. A well written and cracking storyline.
Vanessa
Mar 11, 2013 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this novel.I am wondering whether Christopher Ransom will be writing a follow on from 'The fading'..?..
Harvey Coates
Jan 08, 2013 Harvey Coates rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Dark, exciting, and original. Some of the chapters scared the hell out of me. Unfortunately it does have a slightly rushed ending, but absolutely worth the read.
Paul
Sep 22, 2012 Paul rated it liked it
Great premise well executed but found the pace of the book a bit uneven
Sarah Brader
Nov 01, 2016 Sarah Brader rated it liked it
Usually love Christopher Ransom books, but I couldn't get into this one at all. It just didn't seem to work for me, the protagonist was not interesting and I just didn't really care what happened to him. I was tempted to put it down at each of the third way through but kept going in the hope that it would be rewarding, it wasn't, not for me anyway. Disappointed.
David
Sep 24, 2016 David rated it liked it
The book‘s cover informs me it is the scariest book of the year. It isn’t. There are a couple of hundred pages that are a really interesting look at the life of someone who vanishes and reappears without any control over it, feeling like a really interesting metaphor for disability. This is interspersed with ghost encounters, each encounter feeling very different (compare the clown, with the one that comes out the poster and the ones in the restaurant) making it feel a little like Ransom ...more
Carl
Mar 01, 2016 Carl rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror
Having the ability to become invisible is an exciting prospect. The opportunities open to an individual (to do good or cause mischief!) are too great to count, but what if the cost of possessing that ability is that you cannot control it?

That is the case for Noel Shaker. Who, from birth, has been repeatedly plucked out of the visible spectrum, without warning, for periods of a few seconds up to a number of hours. Fearful of discovery and of the consequences he is sure would follow, Noel lives a
Annie
Sep 18, 2016 Annie rated it really liked it
C.L. Raven
Jun 16, 2014 C.L. Raven rated it did not like it
We really don't like writing bad reviews, but this book can be summed up in two words - nothing happens. It follows Noel Shaker, who can turn invisible. Yet he does nothing with his ability. The book starts with a prologue of his birth and then gives the life story of the nurse in the delivery room, which was pointless as you never meet her in the book so we didn't care about her life. The prologue was also written in a detached way which made it hard to connect with.
The book sticks with Noel th
Gina
Feb 24, 2014 Gina rated it really liked it
I found The Fading at the end of a shopping aisle, on sale, I love a bargain, especially if its in the entertainment budget. and was in need of something to read.
I have found it quite liberating to broaden my horizons a bit lately, as I'm running often short on time and tend to lose track when searching for a book to read. I have invented: random author/book day. hopefully one I haven't heard of, or one I have heard or seen something positive about, and its OK to be a bit daring. On soo many of
J.M. Rankin
Sep 02, 2014 J.M. Rankin rated it did not like it
Although his endings tend to feel a bit rushed, I've over all enjoyed Ransom's other books. However, this one I just could not finish and I hate not finishing a book. I might try again at some point but for now it's a no go.
In all honesty the blurb sounded very similar to a book I've read by another well known author (which I genuinely enjoyed), but gave it the benefit of the doubt anyway. Bit of a mistake, as it was very slow to get started and I could not connect with the characters at all. O
Colin Watts
Feb 28, 2016 Colin Watts rated it really liked it
Chris Ransom's descriptive style is very easy to read and equally easy to visualise the settings and characters. I liked the idea and I'm sure the ability to turn invisible at our slightest whim is a dantasy we've all shared. But, it didn't scare me. Maybe I've become hardened to horror stories and movies but I didn't feel the merest twinge of unease. It was a good read that showed the torment of a young man's mind who feels afflicted with a power he cannot control and Dalton was an inspired ...more
Alya Atiera
May 10, 2016 Alya Atiera rated it it was ok

I'm just glad I manage to finish it. It's quite a torture forcing yourself to read for so many times when all you want is to throw the book at the wall.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU COULD BECOME INVISIBLE?

A GIFT

A CURSE

A DISCOVERY
When Noel learns that some people can see him - and that his powe

Cavan Rigby
Aug 09, 2014 Cavan Rigby rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the clever plot of the story and it's uniqueness. It's not the worst book in the world, nor is it the best. My problem with it is how the author drags the story out longer than it needs to be. literally half a chapter or more is dedicated to the main character walking home. Also whenever the story would pick up and something exciting would happen, it would slow back down or end within the turning of a page. This ultimately made reading It boring at times. The plot starts way to early ...more
Victoria Johnston
I read this book over the weekend but was without internet to post.

I like this authors novels but this one fell a little flat for me. The premise started out well and I thought the supernatural element could be quite good - seeing the dead , fading in and out of the world , evil spirits etc but the outcome and the reason for it was a little boring to be honest. I kind of felt like I had wasted time reading the book when I knew what was actually happening had little or no connection to the supern
Lucy
Jul 21, 2016 Lucy rated it liked it
This is not the "scariest novel of the year" (2012) as suggested on the back cover blurb. Don't get me wrong, it's a great read. I love the concept and it's a good thriller but it did not scare me. The Birthing House scared me, even though the ending let the book down. The Fading is certainly a good read and definitely leaves me eager to read the rest of Ransom's books but it did not meet my expectations.
Fi
Really didn't enjoy The Birthing House but had already bought this one and The People Next Door, sadly didn't enjoy either of them much either. Have obviously discovered an author that doesn't really work for me.
Ily
Jun 02, 2016 Ily rated it liked it
Honestly, its not scary at all haha. like seriously its not scary at all. But its a good book. a boy who can be invisible and he actually drives his mom a bit 'crazy' and his dad didnt believe he can disappear. his condition made his parents fought a lot that lead to their divorce and when he grew up he somehow managed to still sane i guess. i mean, he lives alone. but at the end he knows how to control his 'gift' and i think there will be book 2 i guess? not sure.
Garry Marlton
Sep 08, 2012 Garry Marlton rated it really liked it
I have a thing about people who can become invisable so this book ticks all the boxes. Though I really enjoyed this book with all the problems of being invisable and acceptance, the book was just starting to get somewhere and then it finished. I can see there will be a book two and I will read it because of my affliction for invisable people, but I want more....
  • Ash (David Ash, #3)
  • Cached Out
  • The Bone Thief (Wulfgar, #1)
  • Angel in Black (Nathan Heller, #12)
  • The Map
  • The Salem Witch Society
  • The Sleep Room
  • The Hungry Ghosts
  • Phobos (The Domain Trilogy, #3)
  • Gated
  • Short Shockers
  • Mister X (Frank Quinn, #5)
  • The Haunted
  • The Chalice: A Glastonbury Ghost Story
  • The Haunting
  • The Asylum
  • Lady of the Shades
  • The Clinic
Christopher Ransom is the author of internationally bestselling novels including The Birthing House and The People Next Door. He studied literature at Colorado State University and worked at Entertainment Weekly magazine in New York, and now lives near his hometown of Boulder, Colorado.
More about Christopher Ransom...