Start by marking “Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly” as Want to Read:
Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly

Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly (Fancy Nancy)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  4,837 ratings  ·  189 reviews

Nancy thinks butterflies are simply exquisite. And that is why she can't wait for her friend Bree's Butterfly Birthday. It's going to be the fanciest birthday party ever! But when Nancy finds out she can't go because her grandparents' fiftieth anniversary party is the same day, she is furious. (Mad is way too plain for how she feels.) Will Nancy be able to overcome her dis
Published August 28th 2012 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Fancy Nancy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fancy Nancy

Lisa Vegan
May 07, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fancy Nancy fans; fans of butterflies; anyone interested in a grandparents-grandchild story
This is a particularly good Fancy Nancy story. Nancy is thrilled when her friend Bree is about to have a butterfly themed birthday party, and Nancy even has a blue butterfly costume picked out to wear. Then she finds out she can’t attend the party because she needs to attend her grandparents’ 50th anniversary party. Nancy sulks and mourns, then she finds out her grandparents’ party is fancy too, and there is a butterfly surprise on that trip as well.

This is a lovely story re grandparents & g
Stef Rozitis
Ok on the good side it talks about validating feelings in a way that I think is pretty constructive (ie it doesn't try to minimize or repress how bad the child feels or censor her feelings). It also looks at the theme of not getting what you want which is a realistic theme in any child's life and cleverly points out that sometimes you get something better than you expected. That's where I begin to have mixed feelings.

Nancy is reconciled to missing her best friend's birthday because of externals-
Tc
Another beautiful book from Jane O'Connor! Fancy Nancy again entertains us with her care-free spirit, and impressive accessorizing skills! This book offers more wonderful vocabulary like "iridescent and exceptional". It is about handling disappointment, and making the best of an unexpected situation. This book would be perfect for making text to self connections that can be discussed in class.
Sally Linford
Gentle Reader,
You won't believe this, but I have seven daughters--yes, seven--and we ALL adore Fancy Nancy.

The sparkley covers are enough to make any princess swoon, but the delightful writing (so few words on a page--thank you!) and spectacular illustrations make Fancy Nancy a DAILY ritual in our house.

In her latest adventure, Nancy is distraught when she finds out she'll have to miss her best friend's birthday party for her grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary. O'Connor presents a delight
Crystal Marcos
I honestly didn't think I would enjoy these books as much as I do. I was charmed by Fancy Nancy and enjoyed reading it with my daughter. She is 23 months and sat through this book and Fancy Nancy in a single reading session. I think I like this one even more then the first book of the series, because I think butterflies are beautiful. I learned a thing or two also. Such as what part of the body butterflies use to taste. Again, the author is very clever in teaching vocabulary.
Annelise
Fancy Nancy is really good in French.
Becky B
Fancy Nancy is ecstatic about her friend's upcoming butterfly-themed birthday party. But then she finds out she can't go because her family is going out of town for her grandparents' 50th anniversary. Nancy is desperately disappointed and mopes around all week. But when they finally get to the anniversary party, Fancy Nancy has to admit it is a pretty special and fabulous occasion. And the next day she even gets to go to a butterfly garden.

I loved the celebration of a 50th wedding anniversary in
April Poulter
Fancy Nancy is pretty darn cute! She's quite the diva, and her strong personality kept me laughing throughout the whole book. Perhaps one of the reasons that I enjoyed it so much is that it reminded me of one of my nieces who is very similar. The artwork is colorful and descriptive! The way that the illustrator portrays Fancy Nancy on each page lets the reader know exactly how she's feeling or what she's thinking before they even read the text (scowl, sulk, sad, mad).
Besides being a fun read, it
Kathleen Dixon
This is my first Fancy Nancy book. I've seen a number of little girls coming into the bookshop and loving them, but I'd never looked beyond the cover on any. However, Zenobia (aged 5) brought this home from the library and so we read it together. It's quite cute. Nancy doesn't just like fancy clothes (all the frills and flounces) but uses fancy words as well, and I approve of that even if the frippery passes me by. Mind you, Zenobia thinks the frippery is fabulous.

Besides that, this is a nice li
Kathryn
Feb 06, 2009 Kathryn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Fancy Nancy and butterflies
So cute! I like that the grandparents get a leading role and show Nancy a thing or two about being "fancy."
Bridget
very cute, but not quite as cute as the original fancy nancy or fancy nancy and the puppy...
Sarah Adamson
This is a good Fancy nancy story. I'm always hesitant of the over the top fancy dressing and fashion statements. This book had some fancy terms but leaves all the fashion statements to the pictures which are as always elegant! The story explores how Nancy is unable to attend her best friends birthday party as she has to go to her grandparents 50th wedding anniversary instead. However it all turns out well and she has fun anyway. Good about how some things make us sad but we can make the best out ...more
Kelly
I've never read a Fancy Nancy book before this, so maybe the earlier ones are better but I didn't think this was all that great. The text has some funny parts, with Nancy pointing out fancy words for things.[return][return]But the text feels disingenuous in parts, like when Nancy says to her mom at the end: "I'm sorry for the way I behaved. I am ecstatic to be here."[return][return]Nancy herself is a passive character and doesn't take any action to solve her problem, which is that she can't atte ...more
Lauren Jones
I love how easily this book introduces AND explains new vocabulary to young readers! I also love the incorporation of a new language. French is used in this story because the main character enjoys speaking it. This is a different type of voice as well as multiple meaning is used as craft in this story. Bonjour is hello: I love how the author made sure to explain in the book what these words meant in English because she knew young readers might not know these new words or how to use them.
Nancy le
Leslie
I personally enjoyed Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly because it had a lot of the girly-girl features to it. It's about two best friends who plan a birthday party together, but then Nancy doesn't get to go. Although she doesn't get to go she has a great time with her grandparents. I enjoy books that express that girls are still allowed to be girls and love butterflies and dress up; probably because this is the type of book I was raised on.
After reading an article on Children's literature and ho
Chelsea
I love Fancy Nancy books. She is so a young girl, but she has so much spunk and wittiness about her that bother adults and kids love to read about her small adventures. Nancy and her best friend Bri absolutely adore butterflies and they are almost positively sure that they understand French. Fancy Nancy and Bri start planning Bri’s birthday party with the theme to be—butterflies! They can’t wait for the party, but suddenly Nancy’s mother remembers that they have to go to Grandma and Grandpa’s an ...more
Ashley Miller
Mini Lesson
Fancy Nancy Bonjour, Butterfly by Jane O’Connor
Summary: Fancy Nancy learns she is unable to go to her friend's birthday party and she is disappointed. But, instead she goes to her grandparents party and has lots of fun.
Focus: Vocabulary
Connection: Explain that today students will be working on vocabulary and using a thesaurus to help. (If you haven’t used a thesaurus before take time to explain)
Teach: Read Fancy Nancy aloud to the students and have them listen for Fancy Nancy’s “fancy
Jodysegal
May 26, 2008 Jodysegal rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: PS-grade 2
Five stars for the lovely, completely over the top, fanciful, curly, girly art! Fancy Nancy has a bit of the Eloise in her: she is VERY Dramatic, Passionate, Enthusiastic, and Imaginative, and she thoroughly enjoys throwing about big words, like “extraordinary” and “elegant,” or French words like “oui, oui, oui.” This modern Eloise, however, is more loving and less spoiled than her predecessor, and she will understandably charm many a little girl.

CIP:Nancy is furious when she cannot go to her f
Hillary
I loved this book! Nancy is always pretty colorful and dramatic, but I love the way her parents encourage her individuality, yet they still are the adults. This book is as always, filled with great new vocabulary, and will teach children that just because they don't get their way, sometimes the alternative can be even better than what they had planned!
Jennica Crockett
I think this is such a cute book! And even has a good story line. I enjoyed reading the story through the perspective of Nancy. This is a good book for little girls who are very girly. The pictures are fun and super detailed. They provide opportunities to talk about the pictures with kids. There is also French in the book!
Crystal
Fancy Nancy is fantastic! She is such a spunky little girl and that makes the books fun. I love that when you read Fancy Nancy it is educational as well as so fun! Reading a Fancy Nancy book is like having a vocabulary lesson from a little girl. Even better, it is a vocabulary lesson in English and French many times!
Alice
I love Fancy Nancy! This is a fun book and I think our Fancy Nancy Party next year (Heaven Help us we did one a week ago) is going to be about Bonjour Butterfly! But I have a year to freak out about!

I love this book! Fun!
Somona
Author: Jane O’Connor
Illustrator: Robin Preiss Glasser
Publisher: HarperCollins
Genre: Picture Book
Summary: Nancy is invited to Bree’s Butterfly themed birthday party and is super excited. However, her mother later tells her that she can’t go because it’s also her grandparent’s 50th wedding anniversary. Nancy is furious and sulks around the house until she arrives at her grandparent’s place. She ends up having a great time and apologized for her behavior.
Response: I love how this book captures ch
Liz Stoneking
I wish I could hug Jane O'Connor. My wiggly girls often struggle to hold still long enough to read books together, but Fancy Nancy ALWAYS keeps their attention. This one is a favorite of theirs.
Joy
Fancy Nancy is getting ready for her friend's butterfly birthday party and is extremely disappointed to find that she has to go out of town for her grandparents' anniversary.
Michelle Nero
The girls found Fancy Nancy. And I'm delighted (that's fancy for happy) that they did! We love her adventures and fancy words!
Melissa Martin
I loved this book! I think that the little girl is so sweet and fun and she knows how to love life and just have a good time.
Kristen Thompson
This book is about Fancy Nancy who loves butterflies and speaks French. She is very excited about her friend's butterfly birthday party until her Mom tells her she can't go because it is her grandparent's 50th anniversary. Fancy Nancy describes how she feels throughout the book with "fancy" words and describes their meanings as well. This book also compares English words with French words. Children could predict what they think these "fancy" words mean in the story. This is a very cute story to ...more
Stephanie
Mar 27, 2008 Stephanie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: delightful little girls everywhere
Fancy Nancy is too cute! I love that these books don't talk down to children. They use 5 point words and then they explain what those words mean in a way children can understand. I've always just spoken to my wee beastie as I speak and told her to ask if she didn't understand any of the words I used. This book does the same exact thing. I am told that she has a very good vocabulary for her age so I'm going with I'm doing something right! :) Anyway, I was pleased that this book does exactly what ...more
Whitney Pack
Fancy Nancy stories are aimed to entertaine little girls more than boys. Fancy Nancy Bonjour Butterfly brings in a little bit of a differ language which is good for children to learn that their are other languages out there. I like that this book has a lesson to learn that you may not always get what you want, but sometimes what you wanted so badly doesn't add up to the amount of joy you get from being around your family. This picture book has cute illustration that keep your eyes wondering. I w ...more
  • Purplicious
  • Olivia Forms A Band
  • Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy
  • If I Built a Car
  • Pirates Don't Change Diapers
  • Skippyjon Jones in the Doghouse (Skippyjon Jones, #2)
  • Alice The Fairy
  • Tea for Ruby
  • Diary of a Fly
  • Splat the Cat
  • Madam President
  • Knuffle Bunny Free: An Unexpected Diversion
  • Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?
  • Velma Gratch and the Way Cool Butterfly
Since the publication of Fancy Nancy, Jane O'Connor's closet now boasts so many boas, tiaras, and sparkly ensembles that sometimes friends do not recognize her on the street. She still resides (that's a fancy word for lives) in New York City with her family and their canine companion, Arrow. --from the publisher's website
More about Jane O'Connor...

Fancy Nancy (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • Fancy Nancy
  • Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy
  • Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words: From Accessories to Zany
  • Fancy Nancy: Explorer Extraordinaire!
  • Fancy Nancy: Tea Parties (Fancy Nancy)
  • Fancy Nancy Halloween... or Bust!
  • Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas
  • Fancy Nancy Heart to Heart
  • Fancy Nancy's Elegant Easter
  • Fancy Nancy: Poet Extraordinaire!
Fancy Nancy Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words: From Accessories to Zany