Tall, Dark & Heartless (Pyte/Sentinel, #3)

Tall, Dark & Heartless (Pyte/Sentinel #3)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  5,286 ratings  ·  215 reviews
He should have left her and never looked back...

But, that’s not how things played out for Caine, a nearly one thousand year old Pyte, who should have known better.

Instead of walking away years ago, he stuck around and watched over the only woman he’d ever cared about.

When trouble finds her, he knows that he should just cut his losses and walk away, but there was no fightin...more
Published April 9th 2012 by R.L. Mathewson (first published April 1st 2012)

Dark Lover by J.R. WardLover Awakened by J.R. WardLover Eternal by J.R. WardLover Unbound by J.R. WardHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
Hot Paranormal Romance
315th out of 1,072 books — 1,387 voters
Magic Bites by Ilona AndrewsHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostMoon Called by Patricia BriggsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadGuilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton
Kick Ass Female Heroines in Paranormal Genre
204th out of 513 books — 1,098 voters

More lists with this book...

Jenn
Oct 15, 2012 Jenn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Buddy Read: JoJo & Lindsay
Recommended to Jenn by: JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko
Loved:
1. Kale- makes me laugh & is protective. Love when he goads Chris.
2. Caine & Danni
3. Jax and his pack
4. The "Junk Food Wars" between Kale & Izzy
5. Marc & his shinning moment
6. Ephraim- always a sweetheart <3
7. Lucan- *fingers crossed* he turns out to be a good vampire as he's in a gray area for me... I have high hopes
8. Danni & the tree bet
9. The humor in this book

Favorite line by Caine:
"This is a really weird family."

Hated/Disliked:
1. Greg- gets what he deserves i...more
Sheryl
Once i have time to process my thoughts, i will write a proper review, because seriously all that is going through my mind right now is Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik... yes, it is the name of an album by Red Hot Chilli Peppers, but seriously that was this story...

plenty of blood; the Pytes are vampires after all, and lots of killing (nothing gratuitious though)

sugar; well i attibute that part to Izzy and her cravings (yes we get to see lots of Izzy and Chris from Without Regret the previous book in...more
 B.E.Love
So let me start with my complaint. UGH I have to wait for another book are you serious I feel hurt that after finishing this book I don't have book four to start oh I am so hurt. Ok moving past my sad drama, this book was insane I don't know how R.L.Mathewson packed everything in this book and the book didn't end up being a jumbled mess. This book is filled with so much I got scared at first thinking we would miss Caine and Danni's story. Boy was I wrong I don't know how she did it but she not o...more
Rough Draft Book Blog
I SOOOO WANTED TO LOVE THIS....

So, ok... when I finished Without Regret, (Chris & Izzy's story Pyte/Sentinal book #2) at the end of it there was a blurp that said "read on for a sneak peek at the next Pyte series book" Sooooooo, I did and that little blurp was about some one named Cloe and a dude named Christophor or whatever... at some drug store... well, that's not what Tall, Dark, & Heartless is about at all... Hmmmmmm, not sure what that one was about... or if it will become a story....more
Booklover
Enjoyed it so much,it had so many twist n turns which had me gripped till the end,Caine-Danni loved them both,their friendship was so beautiful but then Caine pushed her away,Caine-Danni were two lonely people who filled the emptiness in each other's life,Caine was in denial about his feelings for Danni and hurt her but then he came to his senses and their love blossomed beautifully and they get their much deserved happiness and a family to belong to.

Enjoyed & Loved the banters between Chris...more
Beatriz
WOW! R.L. MATHEWSON DID IT FOR ME AGAIN!

The woman is an absolute genius in writing. I'm so addicted with the series already! If I didn't have any day job I would have finished the whole series in just two days.

I absolutely pitied Danni while she was being tortured. I wanted to kill Greg then and there. I absolutely love Ephraim with Madison, Chris with Izzy and even Kale, Joshua, Jill and Logan.

Can I just say the sex marathons from the characters were amazing. R.L. Mathewson really is creative...more
Gitte - TotallyBookedBlog
R.L Mathewson is just AMAZING...this has to be the best in the series so far! I've loved them all but Tall, Dark & Heartless had *sigh* Caine!! (Am not going to spoil what made him so... uhmmmm...special...LOL..!!)

The story was great, so much passion, emotions and action that it was at times impossible to put down! The relationship between Caine and Danni was beautiful and it was fab to have all the characters back from the previous books! Hate the fact that there was a cliffhanger though......more
Michele ~ la Smoocherina
I was really disappointed in this book. I liked the first two, but this one I found myself pushing to finish. I felt like I missed book 2.5, except there isn't one! Why is Kale so chummy with Izzy and crazy about her baby. What do they think is wrong with Joshua? Why was he chained up. I felt out of the loop. The grammar and spelling errors were much improved in this book. There were only a couple.
Georgia Cruz
Holy AMAZEBALLS! I am so addicted to this series!! R.L Mathewson, you rocked! The characters from this series just keeps getting better and better and Wow I love them all! Except for Greg (f*cking asshole/bastard). Anyway, I can't seem to get enough of Pytes, Shifters, Sentinels, and Vamps! They have their own unique stories and point of views. I was hoping for a Jill-Logan love story because they seem to have a very good chemistry. I'm also kinda worried for Logan because I can't tell if he's a...more
Hazel G. (I ♥ Mr. Grey) *Craves the Angst Reviews* .
Jul 14, 2012 Hazel G. (I ♥ Mr. Grey) *Craves the Angst Reviews* . rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: paranormal-romance, fantasy, vampire, supernatural readers
Recommended to Hazel G. (I ♥ Mr. Grey) *Craves the Angst Reviews* by: Amy - you're awesome! Thanks for the suggestion and the Lendme!
Definitely a 4.5 . This was the best of the series so far. I loved book one, (book two not so much), but this one surpassed both. The story was amazingly well done and I loved the revisit to all the characters we've grown to love as well as the introduction to new characters that have become a part of the overall story arc. The only drawbacks are the amount of grammatical and editing errors. This seems to be a constant throughout this series, in each book, and I think with a little more editing,...more
Danni Potter
Wow!
Can not express how fantastic Tall, Dark & Heartless is.
R. L. Mathewson has done without a doubt an amazing job.
Even though Caine starts heartless, you can't help fall in love with him.
It was also nice to have the previous characters included.
A perfect cliff hanger ending.
You have to give this book a try if you've read the previous two books in the Pyte/Sentinel series.
Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Highly recommend.
Nikki
Ok can I just say this author is amazing! I loved this book! At first, I wasn't sure about it because the 2 main characters were completely new and I didn't know how their story would fit in with the previous two, but I can happily say I was definitely not disappointed!!! Now I'm just sad its over and I have to wait for the next book!
Susan
I think this was the author's best. I loved the interaction between Caine and Danni. It was sexy and laugh out loud funny. Plus there was the added enjoyment of meeting up with old friends. What's not to love? The only thing that bothers me is that cliffhanger ending. When is the next book coming out???!!!!
OMG... A cliffhanger!!! Anther perfect book with all my fav chars... And a couple new ones to add to the bunch. While reading I never feel like I've read the story before... Lots of twists and turns. I cannot wait for the next book!!!
Audrie Cruz-Sealey
I love this series!!

This book focuses on Caine who is a Pyte working for a Sentinel network. Ephraim had mentioned other Pytes working for Sentinals so it was cool to see how another sect worked. This sect employed the daughters and sons of Sentinals that are human. One of those daughters is Danni. She is a fierce fighter but she is only human. She has known Caine since she was a toddler.

He would take care of her...kissed scraped knees, tell her stories, watch disney movies with her, dress up f...more
PepsiGirl
This book does not pick up where the last story ends. It introduces new characters to the sentinel family. A pyte and a sentinel offspring that has no supernatural abilities( basically just a human). Immediately I wonder why we have gone off course. As the two starcrossed lovers, Caine and Dani, fight and claw their way I begin to lose interest. Not only is there the strange past between these two(he use to be her baby sitter/caregiver/father figure) weird huh? But then Caine ingest a drug that...more
Amanda
Patricia
Absolutely a fantastic read from beginning to end. There were some minor editing glitches that were overlooked but nothing that takes away from the story. I really couldn't put this book down. I loved it. The characters in the previous books continue on into Tall, Dark and Heartless which was really nice for fluidity of the storyline and as well I feel readers like knowing the goings on of previous characters even in the new book as it meshes the stories together beautifully. To me, it isn't a s...more
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
This is the third and final (so far!!) book of the Pyte/Sentinel series and the book is split between those that we know and love, and those that we are meeting for the first time.

Caine has been around for a while and is basically a prisoner with privileges. In other words, he's not locked up in a cell (unless they say otherwise) and he is allowed to 'interact' with the others. Danni is the pure human offspring of two Sentinels who were never interested in having children, so Danni grew up in th...more
Carisa
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wonderful love story, hero, and love scenes, but there was a lot of space dedicated to previous couples in the series (maybe readers of previous books will like it), the world-building was a little confusing, and there were repetitive thoughts from all characters.
FULL SCENES:
4, steamy, FM
GEN...more
Jill C.
I liked Caine alot, this series is hit and miss for me. I really liked the first book, the second not so much. This one was interesting, I agree with many others that there are many unanswered questions. I look forward to the next book and hope that some strong woman knocks Kale off his feet and that Jill and Joshua's stories are told. Also hope they bring back Jax. Didn't like how Madison has really lost her voice since the first book, hope that changes.
Teri Beth
Another great addition to the Pyte/Sentinel series! We were introduced to Caine and Danni in this story and I loved them! I loved catching up with Ephraim, Madison, Chris, Izzy, and the rest of the family and boy does their family keep growing! This story had another great story line that kept me on my toes and left me hanging at the end! Loved it!
Ann
Bk 3 of the series - Caine/Danni were as likeable as Ephraim/Madison. Do love that Kale too. And what is it with R. L. Mathewson and the insatiable food theme in all her bks. LOL! Series has a nice blend of romance, heat, humor and PNR drama.
Rachel Wheeler
I enjoyed the characters and the plot. I'm curious has to who comes next in the series.
Jiji
Brunette Librarian
Be sure to check out the full review at: The Brunette Librarian's Blog

So first off, a confession. This is the third book in the “Pyte” series but its the first book I read. Its about a given when you start in the middle of the series, you will be a little lost, but luckily I was able to find my way around pretty good. I even thought about stopping and starting with the first book, but ultimately was enjoying it so much I forged ahead!
Caine is a Pyte, pretty much an equivalent of a vampire. H...more
Carmen
R.L. Let me begin by saying Wow!!!! I just finish reading the Pyte/Sentinel series and I really love, love it.... The story about Chris and Izzy left me wanting more I feel like their story was just stating when a reach to the end. On the third installment I really thought that it was going to be about Joshua love story even do it wasn’t I was really surprise and please I love it… It actually makes me wonder if there is#4 on the works….. Now my favorite story was the Ephraim and Madison story th...more
Darcy
Loved the cliff hanger at the end, can't wait to see how that works out, but then again, that seemed to be the story of the whole book, I was waiting for something to happen!
Danni and Caine are an interesting pair, they aren't star crossed, and the fact Caine continues to associate Danni as a little girl is a little bit creepy sometimes. I liked Danni's spirit, and the fact that Caine knew some of her personality traits kept him on his toes, but the fact he was so unaware of why she was upset w...more
Kimberly K
3-3.5 Stars

Another enjoyable addition to the series. We got two completely new MCs this time while still getting to see what was up with our old beloved characters. I have to admit that there were times when I feel be got a little too much of the old characters and not enough of the new.

This one went back to a Pyte character focus. It was interesting, and I liked seeing the cross roads of the old and new characters.

I do hope that the untitled #4 has the characters that were teased at the end of...more
Book 4 Pyte/Sentinel series?? 4 44 Dec 10, 2013 01:25PM
  • Lucky Stars (Ghosts and Reincarnation, #5)
  • The Bite That Binds (Deep In Your Veins, #2)
  • Forever Bound (Bound, #1-4)
  • Enemy Mine (Alpha and Omega, #2)
  • Amaury's Hellion (Scanguards Vampires, #2)
  • Damon (The Protectors, #1)
  • Vampires in America: The Vignettes, Volume 1 (Vampires in America, #5.1)
  • Hot Vampire Touch (Vampire Wardens, #3)
Hello, my name is R.L. Mathewson :)

Before I tried my hand at writing I was a receptionist, cafeteria worker at the college I attended, museum worker, bellhop, and about a dozen other different things that are pretty embarrassing so we're just going to skip over those things and pretend that they never happened ;D

At some point I got a little direction in my life and tried my hand at emergency medic...more
More about R.L. Mathewson...
Playing for Keeps (Neighbor from Hell, #1) Perfection (Neighbor from Hell, #2) Checkmate (Neighbor from Hell, #3) Tall, Dark & Lonely (Pyte/Sentinel, #1) Truce: The Historic Neighbor from Hell (Neighbor from Hell, #4)

“...she was probably having a few murderous thoughts of her own about any woman that touched him. Good, they were making progress.” 8 likes
“Danni was his reward for all the bullshit he'd gone through, the torture, the anger,
hatred and the bitter loneliness. She was going to be the band-aid for his tortured
soul.”