Start by marking “Checkmate (Neighbor from Hell, #3)” as Want to Read:
Checkmate (Neighbor from Hell, #3)

Checkmate (Neighbor from Hell #3)

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  39,992 Ratings  ·  1,900 Reviews
There’s nothing worse than living next door to your childhood nemesis, except maybe being forced to share your dream project with him, being blackmailed into going along with something that was just wrong on so many levels, and having your hot cocoa stolen by the person that drove you to drink it in the first place.

As long as she has plenty of hot cocoa, a pair of pliers o
Published October 29th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Checkmate, please sign up.

Wallbanger by Alice ClaytonPlaying for Keeps by R.L. MathewsonSeduction and Snacks by Tara SivecTangled by Emma ChasePerfection by R.L. Mathewson
Funny as Hell!
1,806 books — 5,362 voters
Wallbanger by Alice ClaytonPlaying for Keeps by R.L. MathewsonBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireTangled by Emma ChasePerfection by R.L. Mathewson
Best Banter in Romance
775 books — 1,521 voters

More lists with this book...

♡Karlyn P♡

Yes!!! Another Neighbor From Hell!!

If you want to read about a knight-in-shining armor type hero, a kind and handsome man with sparkling bright teeth who always says the perfect thing and rescues his damsel in distress to save the day -- then don't read this book. Seriously!

Why? Because RL Mathewson tosses that cliche stereotypical romance formula out the window! What you get in the Neighbor From Hell series is a very different kind of hero: a hot guy with (most likely) food in his teeth, who sa
Lisa
Sep 12, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it

I love R.L. Mathewson books because they are sweet, sexy, lighthearted, fun and plain ole hilarious! Checkmate was no exception. This is the book to read when you just want to escape into a world of silly shenanigans and hilarious antics.

Sometimes we need a little bat shit crazy in our lives....

description

She’d been the prettiest little girl that he’d ever seen and he just had to push her and pull on her pigtails.

Connor O'Neil and Rory James have been torturing each other since preschool. They can't help
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Dec 10, 2012 Stacia (the 2010 club) rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of lighthearted contemporary romance
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Buddy reading for the tREEoLA collective joint review effort
Check out my collective review with friends for tREEoLA here!

A Story of Hot Chocolate

You can drink it in your car
You can drink it at a bar
You can drink it in a chair
You don't even have to share
You can have it with some cream
It is sure to make you gleam
You can smell it from afar
Be sure to store it in a jar
But for the love of all that's holy
Don't you dare steal it from Rory

Believe it or not, that was an actual summary of the book. I think I read more about one woman's love of hot chocolate/co
Catarina
4 Checkmate Stars.

description
Connor and Rory know each other since kinds and hate each other pretty much around that time. Creating hell between them and around them for years, everyone just tend to kept them apart. (Expect that for some reason they always end up together in the same place.)
Now, as two responsible adults (ah ah ah), they’re not only are working together but they also are living next door to each other.
And now they’re about to find out, that there’s a very thin line between love and hat
Aestas Book Blog
Nov 06, 2012 Aestas Book Blog rated it really liked it
Just like with the first two, this book is another gem of a fluff read. A lighthearted, sexy, hilarious, over-the-top frenemies-to-lovers story. Pure fun!

Teasing, banter, a cocoa addiction, a bad boy, a tough girl and some seriously crazy pranks involving super glued boxer shorts, three week old fermented yogurt, laxatives, being hog tied with medical tape, being chained to a toilet, many purple nurples…. the list goes on to ‘fun’ that landed them more than a few overnight jail time and bans f
Mary Beth
Oct 31, 2012 Mary Beth rated it really liked it
RL Mathewson gave us another wonderful adventure in the Neighbors from Hell series. I loved Rory and Conner, they were both sexy and hilarious. I enjoyed the cameos from the Bradfords, and all their antics. I miss them already.
Sheryl
Oct 29, 2012 Sheryl rated it it was amazing
Full Review Up Now!

So... what book would make me go into full meltdown mode? This book! When i found out at the beginning of this year that R.L. was writing the third book in the Neighbor from Hell series, i died. Then when i read the teasers and realised that it featured my FAVORITE TROPE IN THE WHOLE WORLD; enemies-to-lovers, i died all over again... it wasn't pretty i tell 'ya.

Rory and Connor... what a KICK-ASS h and H!!! I LOVED reading about their early fights; you could already see what a
Sep 05, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: lol, jerks
4 HOT COCOA STARS!!!!

FUN.

Love should be fun.

And that is exactly what this book is. LOVE and FUN.

Big Girls Don't Cry They Get Even Necklace

Ever since they were little, Rory and Connor have hated each with a vengeance. The pranks and fights were never-ending. There was always a constant battle between the two of them, so much so that the whole town knew to stay away from them. If they walked into a room together, people would flee. But they can’t seem to stay away from each other because they secretly love to torture the other.

They say t
Alexis *Reality Bites*
Mar 09, 2015 Alexis *Reality Bites* rated it really liked it
This book is rated 'G' for Good!
4 STAR READ!
Genre: Adult Romance-Comedy

photo checkmate cover pic_zpss6ztqqec.jpg

Rory James and Connor O'Neil have been against each other ever since grade school. Connor was a bully and his number one target...you guessed it, Rory. Making her cry became a game to him because she never would. Rory is tough. And Connor, if not careful could very well be the one crying.

Total fun read! A little over the top at times but overall a good read!

FULL REVIEW TO COME!
Vi
Oct 31, 2012 Vi rated it it was ok
Connor the hero, was a bully. Right from a kid pulling on Rory, the h's pigtails until the current time. He laced her food with laxatives when they were a teenager! He routinely steals her hot cocoa in the morning because *she* likes it. WTH?! Seriously, his bullying over 20+ years is painful to read. I can't imagine why or how Rory and her family and any SANE person put up with it. Underneath, it was love? Oh please, time honored excuse doesn't make it right. She should have gotten a restrainin ...more
Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥
What happens when two childhood nemeses have to work together and decide to torment one other in a whole new way?

Another Winner for R.L.Mathewson!!!

Connor O'Neil and Rory James' unique life story started in preschool and for 25 years they live to make each other's life hell. From stolen food to flat tires and superglued pants to shop bans they are notorious for their dislike and causing mental breakdowns to everyone standing in their way. So it is only hate right? Noway, sistahs.......

"But I'd
edzkie♥§*.*§♥
LVE.LVE.LVE!

Yay! I super Love this book. Nice mixed of humor, romance and bad ass H/H. I am swooning every sweet thing Connor do for Rory, even when they were kids and want to kill each other.hahahahaha

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Rory & Connor grew up as mortal enemies. Plotting all the wicked scheme just to get to each other nerves. Super mean like spitting on foods (yikes),putting glue on Connor pants, and so on.... Connor love pissing Rory but get defensive when other try to pissed her.
Karla

3 Stars! Didn't live up to the first 2 in the series!

I love this series, but this book didn't quite work for me like Playing for Keeps and Perfection did! It got stuck at one point and didn't go anywhere. Yes, it was funny at times, but where the other two books moved forward at a nice pace, this went round and round. Maybe it was because Connor and Rory were childhood nemesis and getting to their relationship seemed endless to me, lots of reminiscing. I also thought some of their revenge tacti
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
These books are a lot of fun and always leave me with a smile on my face. They're silly, sexy, romantic...just good-times!
AJ
God, I love this series! I love it when you can pick up a book and, before you even open it, know what you can expect, and know that it’s going to be a great read. The Neighbour from Hell books are like that - fun, light, swoony and sexy, and utterly, utterly hilarious!

Rory and Connor are absolutely dynamite! They live to torment each other. Ever since preschool they have been at each other with pranks, jokes, teasing and embarrassing the hell out of each other. Their antics have resulted in jai
Kennedy
Nov 23, 2012 Kennedy rated it really liked it
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
2.5...Over the Top Humor with Belly Laughs and Belly Flops (Ouch!)

I wanted to love this story. Really! Some scenes had me grinning and laughing through childhood enemies, Connor and Rory, tumultous relationship. The story hit its stride once their arrangement began, and I was able to let go of my intense dislike of sexist Connor. The Bradfords (from previous Neighbors from Hells books) made their appearance and wore out their welcome. I laughed in their stories; I didn't need a refresher, and wa
Milica's Bookshelf
"Checkmate" je jako zabavna knjiga, kao što sam i očekivala. Često sam se smejala.
Rory je jaka žena i ne trpi nikakva sra*a od Connora otkad su bili deca. Sad su oboje odrasli i imaju zabrane od skoro svakog javnog mesta zbog njihovog međusobnog prepucavanja. Kad spominjem zabrane, braća Bredford i njihove žene su se vratili! :)

Connor: "Push me and you might just find yourself locked in the trunk of a car and on a ferry headed off to Nova Scotia. . . again" he said softly loving the way she pr
Christy
Nov 02, 2012 Christy rated it it was amazing
I love the neighbor from hell series! This book was no exception. Rory and Connor were hilarious and so sweet! Great read!
Sofia Lazaridou
Nov 01, 2012 Sofia Lazaridou rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-love
He never gave up this easily,never.Not even when they were fourteen and she may have pantsed him in front of the entire school one afternoon and he may have broken his arm in an attempt to pull her out of the air duct where she might have been hiding.He simply waited until the cast was dry and his mother was looking the other way before he snuck out of the exam room at the clinic over on Chestnut and made his way to the waiting room where he knew her father would make her wait so that she could ...more
A_Ryan
5 TOTALLY BRILLIANT LIFE RUINING BASTARD STARS!!!!!!

UPDATED REVIEW AFTER RE-READING

Synopsis: Enemies since the age of five, when he first pushed her off the swing and pulled on her pigtails, Connor and Rory have become notorious for their passionate antics throughout their local town. But a new business deal has forced them to work side by side, and now the power plays, mind games and the constant bickering only add fuel to the growing fire between them and their unavoidable pull towards eac
Ian
Nov 19, 2012 Ian rated it it was amazing
Rory and Connor have been the bitterest of enemies since pre-school, and when their respective building companies are awarded a joint contract to renovate a hotel sparks start flying.
...he had to touch her, had to kiss her and he did just that.
"Ow!" he winced, stepping away from Rory as he rubbed the back of his head where it suddenly throbbed. He looked over his shoulder and found all five of her brothers watching them with innocent doe-like expressions on their faces.
"It was a squirrel," Crai
JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko
I really wish this book would have been a five star read for me like the other two books in this series. The book had so much promise however it just didn't do it for me. It started off very rocky and then finally towards the end I found myself loving it. Just not the best combination. I really wish this would have been better for me. It is a good book and I would recommend it to those who have read the series however I would suggest you stop what you are reading just to start this book. I love ...more
Aman
Nov 07, 2012 Aman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotic
It was a cute story. Loved seeing Jason and Trevor come into it :)
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
I have issues. I don't know how to rate this book so the rating will be an average 3 but I'll explain my problems with the book in my review...

Rory and Connor have been going at each others throats since the day they met at daycare when they were five. Since then Connor has gone out of his way to make Rory's life a living hell and she's done everything in her power to retaliate, something that has made their lives and everyone's in the vicinity difficult.

By the time Connor realized that all this
Naksed
I am ambivalent towards "bully romances" because I was victimized by a bully or two in childhood, and that stuff really leaves indelible marks on you even when you leave it far, far, behind, and also I don't like the message it gives to young girls, that the big fat jerk abusing you really really really deep down actually likes you, so it's on you that he is acting this way.

Some bully romances that dealt with the topic realistically and sensitively, and showcased true remorse and a fair bit of
Keri
Jan 20, 2016 Keri rated it really liked it
It was pretty good. Rory and Connor have tortured each other since grade school, to the point that they have been banned from being seen together in several places in their town. But since they have houses right next to each other, they can torture each other with impunity and they do. Now they are vying for the same construction jobs. Surprisingly they have both been giving a contract to finish a hotel in 5 months and gain a bonus. But Connor has nefarious plans to take Rory's men, the contract ...more
Duchess Nicole
It was good. I think the rivalry made these two a little too irreverent for my taste. Force feeding someone rotten food and taking it so far as to do significant physical damage lost it's humor after awhile. The sex is sexy for sure. I admit to some boredom...this took me a long time to read, and although some of that was life getting in the way, a lot was just that the story stagnated for awhile in the middle. I loved the last 1/4...it seemed like things picked up and really moved the story for ...more
Lorraine.Hates.Cliffhanger.Endings!
Loved this book, Rory and Connor were a blast!!!! Having the Bradfords and their food issues turn up nicely linked the book with the previous 2 A Neighbour From Hell books. Fingers crossed that there will be more of this series.

Sivy
5 Twisting Nipples Stars

I couldn't stop laughing every time Rory threaten to use the pliers on Connor's nipples. I frickin love this series.

“Ow! Goddammit, leave my nipple alone!" he snapped, barely resisting the urge to rub it. The damn woman fought dirty, but then again that's what he liked about her, he realized with a smile. Rory James always managed to keep him on his toes and kept it interesting. It was a rather nice quality in an enemy.”

“He was done fighting with her.
When this project
  • Troubles and Treats (Chocolate Lovers, #3)
  • Rock Chick Redemption (Rock Chick, #3)
  • Love Thy Neighbour (Friend-Zoned, #2)
  • Wicked Game
  • Leave Me Breathless (Ross Siblings, #3)
  • Heavy Issues (Bowen Boys, #2)
Hello, my name is R.L. Mathewson :)

Before I tried my hand at writing I was a receptionist, cafeteria worker at the college I attended, museum worker, bellhop, and about a dozen other different things that are pretty embarrassing so we're just going to skip over those things and pretend that they never happened ;D

At some point I got a little direction in my life and tried my hand at emergency medic
More about R.L. Mathewson...

Neighbor from Hell (10 books)
  • Playing for Keeps (Neighbor from Hell, #1)
  • Perfection (Neighbor from Hell, #2)
  • Truce (Neighbor from Hell, #4)
  • The Game Plan (Neighbor from Hell, #5)
  • Double Dare (Neighbor from Hell, #6)
  • Christmas from Hell (Neighbor from Hell, #7)
  • Fire & Brimstone (Neighbor from Hell, #8)
  • Untitled (Neighbor from Hell, #9)
  • Playing Hard to Get (Neighbor from Hell, #10)

“Oh my God! Stop eating that!”
“Your trail mix tastes funny,” Trevor said with a cringe.
“That wasn’t trail mix, you bastard! That was potpourri!”
“Well, that explains a lot,” he said, giving her a sheepish smile as he returned the large wooden bowl back to the side table. She didn’t need to look to know that he’d already eaten half the bowl of potpourri. She didn’t even bother asking him what the hell was wrong with him since she knew the answer.
The man was a Bradford.
Enough said.”
132 likes
“Sorry,” he mumbled.
“You should be!” Zoe snapped. “You scared the hell out of me and now I’m about to give birth to two Bradfords out in the middle of nowhere with no drugs! Do you have any idea how big a Bradford head is? Huh? Do you?”
103 likes