Start by marking “Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar, #1)” as Want to Read:
Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar, #1)

Donor (Dr Steven Dunbar #1)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  439 ratings  ·  46 reviews
When seven-year-old Amanda Chapman is admitted to hospital with acute renal failure, her parents are in despair. Their hope is renewed when Amanda is accepted for treatment in a pioneering, state-of-the-art dialysis unit in an exclusive private hospital in Glasgow, but behind the lavish hospital corridors, private rooms and friendly staff lies something much more sinister. ...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Polygon (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Donor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Donor

Lance Greenfield
Doctor Steven Dunbar is sent by the Home Office to investigate the possible sinister events at Médic Ecosse, a private hospital in Scotland. Of course, there is no doubt from the outset that the possibilities will soon become probabilities.

The two nurses who try to expose the corruptness are silenced: well, almost. Doctor Dunbar manages to get to them, but how much truth lies behind their suspicions.

There is heartbreak as parents struggle with coming to terms with their children needing organ tr
Grammar*Kitten
The more I read by Ken McClure, the more I enjoy his well written and thought provoking books.

I eventually gave in and decided to purchase Donor, thinking that it would open a whole can of worms; If I enjoyed it, I would be compelled to purchase the rest of the Dr Steven Dunbar novels, one after the other, until I had finished. Good news for my bookshelves (digital, of course), bad news for my bank balance.

The Character of Dr Steven Dunbar is incredibly well written; he is both human and clinica
Miles
I can’t remember the last time I sat down to read a medical based novel but I do remember the title because it had a great impact on my desire for reading in my schooldays – A.J. Cronin’s “The Citadel” first published in 1937. If you haven’t read it please do take the time to read one of the best literary authors of the 20th century - I digress! – And no I didn’t read it when it first came out!

“The Citadel” finds newly qualified Scottish doctor Andrew Manson travelling to a small mining communit
Adele Symonds
This is a really interesting medical thriller. It focuses on a new private hospital which is losing money and costing the taxpayers in government funding. The transplant unit is the only department in profit but there are concerns about 2 unexplained deaths so Dr. Steven Dunbar is called in to conduct an undercover investigation. There are 2 whistle blowers, both ex-nurses, a sub-plot of murder and a new transplant patient to protect.

The style is very descriptive and flows nicely, there are clue
Lisa
Very interesting book. To see that young children die after a kidney transplant is interesting in itself but to see that there is something far more cruel going on is amazing. The first chapteer grabbed me and then the book fell a little flat. I must say that the last few chapters and the ending made up for it all. I felt nervous and apprehensive for Dr. Dunbar and Amy. I was hoping another child wouldn't die. It completey immersed me in the events and I was lost in my mind as I pictured everyth ...more
Elizabeth Moffat
This would probably be a three and a half star read from me, edging towards a four. A young girl is in desperate need of a kidney transplant, but strange and disturbing things are going on in the private hospital where she is admitted. It makes a lot of statements regarding NHS versus private, and the ethical dramas of organ donation which I enjoyed. Overall, a fast paced and easy to read novel which gives you food for thought!
Diana
I enjoyed this book. Well written and entertaining. I also went to hear Ken McClure speak at my local libary last week. A most entertaining evening and so interesting to hear how he gets his ideas. His science is all knowledge and he had a wonderful laid back approach to writing and very happy that his out of print books can now be read again on Kindles, e-readers etc. I shall read some more.
Kim
Ken McClure's first in the Steven Dunbar series Donor is an easy well paced medical thriller. At times the storyline is a little far fetched. It reaches a conclusion rather too quickly and stretches the balance between fairy tale and believability a little too far for me. Having said all that it still ticks the boxes if you are looking for something to while away a lazy Sunday afternoon.
Gillian
Well what a gripping story, when I started I really thought that this was another Robin Cook wannabe. How wrong was I, the twists and turns kept me engaged throughout. The human side of Dr Dunbar was very evident in the relationship with his daughter, Lisa, yet he can be so cold and clinical in the pursuit of the truth. I need to read the others to discover how Dr Dunbar develops.
Elaine
# 1 in the Dr. Steven Dunbar series

This book gets more and more mysterious as it moves further into the story. It's a delight to be "reading" a book that captures the attention for so long.

At first I was disappointed to discover that I had the mystery solved before Dr. Steven Dunbar but then realized I hadn't had it figured out after all.
Anand
I have become an absolute fan of Ken McClure. This was his third novel that I read, and likely many more will follow.

Mystery, suspense and thrillers have come to be redefined over the years, and most novels of these genres tend to overdo every aspect of the story telling. So, unless there is 'edge of the seat' action, 'nail biting' thrills and overly complicated suspens, it won't do. This is where this novel (indeed, the author's story telling craft) is such a refreshing change. I had used the t
Jude
My husband is a fan of McClure and had been encouraging me to read his books. Donor is the first Ken McClure that I read and I am happy to say, it won't be the last. McClure's writing is excellent, the pace and style all conducive to dragging you into the story and not letting you go, until the final page has been turned. The plot was believable, and the characters fully rounded.
Dr. Steven Dunbar has been called in to investigate a private hospital's dealings during a recession. Complaints by t
Doug Lawrence
A quick and fast paced read, enjoyable for a change of pace after along day at work. The plot revolves around high tech medicine, transplants, stem cells etc. Descriptions are a bit thin and some plot points are a bit implausible (did it really take Dunbar so long to become suspicious of the goings on). I'd read another in the series when I needed good, fun escapist reading.

Doug
Dan Fletcher
Great pathological suspense!

This is an intense thriller with an over-riding sense of impending doom as Dr Dunbar investigates the secretive goings on in a private hospital. Suspicions are aroused when a young patient is admitted and things don't appear to be quite right. The author obviously knows people as well as how to write a riveting story and has a great empathy with the characters, which is passed on to the reader. Alongside the suspense are likeable characters with real relationships and
Danna
I enjoyed Donor, but I did find myself skipping over a lot of what I thought was filler.
Although it is about a little girl needing a transplant, there wasn't very much attention paid to her.
I found the beginning to be very slow to start, and choppy at times, but the overall story was good.
Once I made it through the beginning, I enjoyed it despite my issues with the story.
P.D.R. Lindsay
This is what I call a plain tale well told. It is a told story with very little show of the main character's thoughts and feelings.

'Donor' is very much a man's book in that a lot of men enjoy a straightforward story without all the 'mushy, soppy introspective bits.' This does not stop it being a good story, a medical mystery with the main character being an officer in the medical crimes unit. Something which really ought to exist.

The pace is fast, the writing clean and simple and the plot withou
Chrissi
This book didn't take me long to read at all being on a long train journey and it being under 300 pages. It was an intriguing fast-paced story of a young girl urgently in need of a kidney transplant. The hospital that is treating her has some very strange goings on..
Kori
The plot was different to other medical thrillers I've read and it was a welcome change. It was nice that the story kept you guessing but still gave you enough information to work it out yourself.

Very interesting, relatively well paced and beautifully executed.
Sandi

I could not put this book down. I would compare his keeping you in suspense to Robin Cook. I have just downloaded the next book in the series (deception) and am beginning to read it right now.
Jack
Medical thriller - international in style but set in Glasgow, featuring greedy doctors (as well as good ones) and scary futuristic scientific techniques.
Carol Scotman
Excellent read...hard to put down. I really enjoyed this book and have already started reading another by the same author.
Elain
What a wonderful book. Couldn't put it down finished it in a day. Cant wait to start 2nd book.
Lorie
I really enjoyed this book. Had to keep reading to find out what was going to happen next.
Aimee
Such a good read I was so surprised to enjoy this book so much. Now reading no.2
Alicia Huxtable
When I first read this book at 14 I found the concept hard to stomach...... reading it again so many years later I still find it hard. Ken McClure sends the reader on a race against not only the clock but the greed of 4 doctors/staff at a prestigious hospital. Dr. Dunbar is investigating the demise of 2 child transplant recipients only days after receiving healthy matching donor organs. What Dr. Dunbar and Sci-Med didn't plan on was just exactly how sick this operation was. I haven't read a medi ...more
Dianne
Sep 15, 2013 Dianne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys medical mysteries
Very enjoyable. This may be an addicting series.
Jan Ostromecki
Easy great read. Current and thought provoking
Trish Jackson
This was my first book by this author and I literally couldn't put it down.

Strange things are happening at an elite medical center in Scotland.

Investigator Dunbar is sent to work undercover as an accountant, and he finds much more than anything anyone could have imagined. Why did two children die after their kidney transplants? The kidneys they were given were almost a perfect match and yet their bodies rejected them.

And why was there a pig's body in the mortuary?

I will definitely be looking f
Deborah
Very scary scenario.
Jan Morse
Breathless thrilling ending

Enough twists and turns to keep the reader puzzling up to the end of Www the book, a little hanky lanky on the side, and gotta love him reticent hero. What's not to love?
  • Cold Plague
  • Flawless
  • The Child Taker (Soft Target )
  • Death Rounds (Dr. Earl Garnet, #2)
  • The Delta Chain
  • Landed Gently
  • Cold Kill (DC Laura McGanity, #5)
  • The Eleventh Plague
  • Hit and Run
  • Cursed
  • Winterlude (Officer Gunnhilder, #2.5)
  • The Crew
  • Crime in the Community (Pitkirtly Mysteries #1)
  • Dance with Death (Cetin Ikmen, #8)
  • Shadows of Sounds
  • The Second Opinion
  • Road Closed
Ken McClure is the internationally bestselling author of over twenty medical thrillers such as The Lazarus Strain, The Gulf Conspiracy, White Death and Dust to Dust. His books have been translated into twenty-five languages and he has earned a reputation for the accuracy of his predicitions. McClure's work is informed by his background as an award-winning research scientist with the UK's Medical R ...more
More about Ken McClure...

Dr Steven Dunbar (10 books)
  • Deception (Dr Steven Dunbar, #2)
  • Wildcard (Dr Steven Dunbar, #3)
  • The Gulf Conspiracy (Dr Steven Dunbar, #4)
  • Eye Of The Raven (Dr Steven Dunbar, #5)
  • The Lazarus Strain (Dr Steven Dunbar, #6)
  • White Death (Dr Steven Dunbar, #7)
  • Dust To Dust (Dr Steven Dunbar, #8)
  • Lost Causes (Dr Steven Dunbar, #9)
  • The Secret (Dr Steven Dunbar, #10)
The Lazarus Strain (Dr Steven Dunbar, #6) Past Lives Trauma Deception (Dr Steven Dunbar, #2) Pandora's Helix

“to both sides before trying the handle; it moved” 0 likes
“The plan is to marry a doctor, It's either that or become a trolley-dolly and hit on a pilot.” 0 likes