Start by marking “hello! hello!” as Want to Read:
hello! hello!

hello! hello!

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  819 ratings  ·  149 reviews
Outside the world is bright and colorful, but Lydia's family is too busy with their gadgets to notice. She says Hello to everyone. Hello? Hello! Her father says hello while texting, her mother says hello while working on her laptop and her brother doesn't say hello at all. The T.V shouts Hello! But she doesn't want to watch any shows. Lydia, now restless, ventures outside. ...more
Published October 30th 2012 by Disney-Hyperion (first published September 18th 2012)

Extra Yarn by Mac BarnettAnd Then It's Spring by Julie FoglianoGreen by Laura Vaccaro SeegerThis is Not My Hat by Jon KlassenThe Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore by William Joyce
2013 Mock Caldecott
48th out of 97 books — 239 voters
This is Not My Hat by Jon KlassenPress Here by Hervé TulletFishing Into Potato Salad by Othen Donald Dale CummingsDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsFetch by Adam Glendon Sidwell
Best Modern Children's Picture Books
135th out of 144 books — 119 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim Erekson
So, the message of balance this book tries to teach is smarmy and preachy. BUT, the exaggeration through the middle of the book was hilarious, and made me think Cordell didn't take himself too seriously. I laughed out loud when the girl's frolic through the ubernatural world suddenly turned to meeting a soul-mate horse and riding bareback o'er the plains! And things just escalated from there (the gorilla was enough, but then another page beyond that goes even further!). I still can't give it a 4 ...more
Wonderful book about leaving the technical world behind and immersing yourself in nature and your own imagination. A great lesson and an easy read, all my children enjoyed this one.
Lydia breaks free from cell phones and gadgets, discovering the freedom of her imagination. Simple, but poignant story. This would pair nicely with Blackout.
Lydia, like nearly all of us at some time or another--usually when our phone battery is dead--would like a little personal interaction, but the members of her family cannot look up from their computer screens, cell phones, or electronic tablets long enough to talk to her.

With a sigh, she heads outdoors to see if there's anything out there worth her attention. Indeed, she finds a whole world out there, one that everyone else is missing.

Not sure how kids will like this but there's something about
Danica Midlil
What I learned from this book:
If you give up your electronic devices, you will meet a magical horse who will let you ride her. Then in Noah's Ark like fashion, one of every kind of animal will run in a parade with you (or in the case of fish, fly), but don't let your cell phone ring because that will ruin everything. Luckily, you secretly know that all your dad actually wants to do is ride a flying whale instead of doing his work, so all can be forgiven.
So excited to receive a signed copy in the mail from Mr. Schu! This book is so cute and funny, but poignant at the same time. We need to put down our technology (ironic, I know, since I'm posting this after checking Twitter and Facebook) and pay attention to the world. Gotta love the spunky little girl headlining this story. Good companion to Blackout by John Rocco.
Zap, Beep, Pow, Game Over, Loading, Loading, Loading, No Signal. In this story a little girl tries to find ways to amuse herself with technology such as playing video games and watching tv. But it look likes what she really craves is the attention from her family but mom is to busy working, dad is to busy on his cell phone and her brother is busy playing video games. So she decides to go outside and explore. What she finds is she doesn't really need technology to peak her imagination. She discov ...more
Dec 02, 2012 Robin added it
Honestly, when I first read this book I did not get it. How could a book designed for two to six year olds teach them to put down their electronic gadgets? I had to step away and think about this for a few minutes.

Then it finally dawned on me, it was not about the child’s devices, it was about the parent’s. Now I felt really dumb because it did not come to me sooner. How many times does a child feel unimportant because their parents and siblings are too busy to acknowledge them?

A true light bulb
I wanted to love this -- and did -- more and more, with each leafy hello and through the glorious stampede of animal hellos. Heavens I love the illustrations. But my love screeched to a halt at the exact moment she got her call and winced with it. Then this became a preachy finger shake at all of us. Little girl don't touch my phone.
after being ignored by her tech-distracted family, little girl finds connection with nature. when her family notices she's gone, she runs home and is able to show them what they've been missing by staring at screens all the time. very sweet story, evocative pics, and timely as hell.
So relevant in a time where interaction is done primarily using handheld devices. A great book to remind families of the importance of being present with one another.
So if I put my phone down, can I ride a whale?!
I loved it. Loved it. In the cyber world, no one seems to connect with people or the environment around them any longer. This little girl escapes into the world and discovers nature, meets animals and makes a new friend with a horse. Unfortunately, mom and dad are missing her by then. So she returns home and brings her family out to see the world. A great read. One word of caution: If you are the type of parent that becomes engrossed in your computer, you may discover a message for yourself rath ...more
Richie Partington
Richie's Picks: HELLO! HELLO! by Matthew Cordell, Disney Hyperion, October 2012, 52p., ISBN: 978-1-4231-5906-3

"It's nature's way of telling you to slow down
It's nature's way of telling you, look around
It's nature's way of receiving you
It's nature's way of retrieving you
It's nature's way of telling you something's wrong"
-- "Nature's Way" by the late Randy California

HELLO! HELLO! is the story of a young girl who learns that, as Joni Mitchell taught us a generation ago, we've got to get ourselves b
hello! Hello! by Matthew Cordell follows a child seeking a way to communicate with parents and a brother who are busy with their electonic devices.

Cordell's illustrations were created with a bamboo pen and India ink, a bit of pencil, a Macintosh computer, a large format waterproof inkjet printer, and water color on paper. Images from inside the home are smaller and less colorful, while pictures outside are larger, far more colorful, and more fantastic. My favorite images are endpapers, leaf, bug
Lu Benke
Almost a five star. The storyline is actually not that different from those that show a disgruntled middle child looking for someone in the family to pay attention to her or play with her. Only this time it is electronic devices that have fixated her family members' attention. Making this treatment of the storyline appealing to me were the layers of unpacking that were possible. The lines of the illustrations reminded me of Quentin Blake's ability to convey impudence with a few swoops of facial ...more
Bethany Boutin
Technology is cool, but the monotony of screen addiction can sometimes cause us to disconnect from relationships and nature. Follow one little girl as she unplugs and re-learns to appreciate the vibrancy of experiencing and imagining in the real world (and inspires her family to do so too!). Clever illustrations use digital text that segues into handwriting, and a black and white world blooms into one of color and texture.
This book is a treasure from end page to end page.

Readers are introduced to a young girl surrounded by technological gadgets. First her hand held game player stops working, then her laptop computer won't load and her cell phone doesn't have signal. Finally she tries the television, but it's a rerun. What's a modern girl to do? She seeks out the other members of her family, all of whom are engaged with a device of their own.

Sighing, the young girl heads for the front door where she notices a leaf
Maggie Burgess
I really enjoyed the illustrations. Simple words with a big message. I think kids will enjoy this story- I wish it would actually encourage some to step away from devices for a bit. Unfortunately, I think the people who agree/relate, don't need the message, and the ones who do need message, wouldn't pick up or like the book. Such is life I suppose! Sweet story.
We read this book together in 2nd grade lib in preparation for our Mock Caldecott. If you base this book's success purely on likability and response amongst students, it would certainly win. Their reaction of laughter was delightful! But what struck me most was their insight to the underlying message of the story. The book has few words besides the word "hello," but some of them understood the author's intent. There was a purposeful message in addition to the laughter the story produced and it p ...more
In a world that screams technology, we often find ourselves at times being enslaved to such. We tend to forget to take a break and just relax. When Lydia's gadgets fail her, she goes to her family for attention. However, they are too wrapped up with their gadgets, she decides to venture outside. She explores her enviroment and is at ease with it. She forgets about everything until her phone rings and her parents are demanding to know where she is at. She then goes back home bearing gifts to each ...more
Jessica Lopez
In a world lost to gadgets, this story takes you on a journey of a little girl that wanted to disconnect from her gadgets and connect with the real world. The books opens with no color only to explode with color as the little girl rediscovers the world around her. It has a good message and I feel it did a great job of getting it across.
It's amazing what you'll see and experience if you just put down your personal device! Adventures await when you walk out that door. Just don't forget to tell your parents where you're going ... or better yet, take them with you!
This has a good message to share with students about putting down technology and not letting real-life pass on by...interesting that it was published two years ago, and technology use has increased even since then.
This book indicates how deeply into the digital and technical age we now are, with characters' activities being dominated by cell phones, laptops and electronic games. Getting no response from her parents and brother, the young girl heads outdoors and finds herself greeting leaves, insects, flowers, animals and the whole world. The exuberance of the illustrations carries the energy of the story (imagine a full-size whale "galloping" through the countryside with lots of other animals). Although t ...more
Steven Matview
A little girl decides to take a break from technology and spend a day experiencing the outside. This book is worth it for the final splash page of her and her family alone.
Carol Scrimgeour
A humorous reminder to put down our devices and get outside to play. Pair this with Blackout by John Rocco, and Sidewalk Flowers by JonArno Lawson.
Kathleen Behrendt
This little gem provides an important message to children without being preachy. The story starts as soon as you open the book with the little girl getting bored with her electronics. She tries to get the attention of her family, with no luck. A leaf by the door entices her to go outside. As soon as she goes outside, the world explodes in color. She enjoys being outside so much that she convinces her family to join her. The simple illustrations speak volumes about society's addiction to their el ...more
excellent book! theme is related to technology, turning off technology in order to get outside and use one's imagination.
YA Book Club!: Hello 15 10 Mar 20, 2015 03:39AM