Start by marking “hello! hello!” as Want to Read:
hello! hello!

hello! hello!

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  889 Ratings  ·  153 Reviews
Outside the world is bright and colorful, but Lydia's family is too busy with their gadgets to notice. She says Hello to everyone. Hello? Hello! Her father says hello while texting, her mother says hello while working on her laptop and her brother doesn't say hello at all. The T.V shouts Hello! But she doesn't want to watch any shows. Lydia, now restless, ventures outside. ...more
Published October 30th 2012 by Disney-Hyperion (first published September 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about hello! hello!, please sign up.

Quinsheeda It's adorable! Without many at all it shows us the importance of getting out from in front of the screens and enjoying nature. The whale flying…moreIt's adorable! Without many at all it shows us the importance of getting out from in front of the screens and enjoying nature. The whale flying through the sky is also hilarious.(less)
Extra Yarn by Mac BarnettAnd Then It's Spring by Julie FoglianoGreen by Laura Vaccaro SeegerThe Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore by William JoyceThis is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen
2013 Mock Caldecott
48th out of 97 books — 241 voters
Press Here by Hervé TulletThis is Not My Hat by Jon KlassenDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsA Pet Banana by Othen Donald Dale CummingsFishing Into Potato Salad by Othen Donald Dale Cummings
Best Modern Children's Picture Books
148th out of 157 books — 132 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim Erekson
Feb 07, 2013 Jim Erekson rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy, picturebooks
So, the message of balance this book tries to teach is smarmy and preachy. BUT, the exaggeration through the middle of the book was hilarious, and made me think Cordell didn't take himself too seriously. I laughed out loud when the girl's frolic through the ubernatural world suddenly turned to meeting a soul-mate horse and riding bareback o'er the plains! And things just escalated from there (the gorilla was enough, but then another page beyond that goes even further!). I still can't give it a 4 ...more
midnightfaerie
Nov 27, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Wonderful book about leaving the technical world behind and immersing yourself in nature and your own imagination. A great lesson and an easy read, all my children enjoyed this one.
Donalyn
Lydia breaks free from cell phones and gadgets, discovering the freedom of her imagination. Simple, but poignant story. This would pair nicely with Blackout.
babyhippoface
Jan 17, 2013 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
Lydia, like nearly all of us at some time or another--usually when our phone battery is dead--would like a little personal interaction, but the members of her family cannot look up from their computer screens, cell phones, or electronic tablets long enough to talk to her.

With a sigh, she heads outdoors to see if there's anything out there worth her attention. Indeed, she finds a whole world out there, one that everyone else is missing.

Not sure how kids will like this but there's something about
Danica Midlil
Feb 20, 2013 Danica Midlil rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
What I learned from this book:
If you give up your electronic devices, you will meet a magical horse who will let you ride her. Then in Noah's Ark like fashion, one of every kind of animal will run in a parade with you (or in the case of fish, fly), but don't let your cell phone ring because that will ruin everything. Luckily, you secretly know that all your dad actually wants to do is ride a flying whale instead of doing his work, so all can be forgiven.
Holly
So excited to receive a signed copy in the mail from Mr. Schu! This book is so cute and funny, but poignant at the same time. We need to put down our technology (ironic, I know, since I'm posting this after checking Twitter and Facebook) and pay attention to the world. Gotta love the spunky little girl headlining this story. Good companion to Blackout by John Rocco.
Angelica
Mar 30, 2013 Angelica rated it really liked it
Zap, Beep, Pow, Game Over, Loading, Loading, Loading, No Signal. In this story a little girl tries to find ways to amuse herself with technology such as playing video games and watching tv. But it look likes what she really craves is the attention from her family but mom is to busy working, dad is to busy on his cell phone and her brother is busy playing video games. So she decides to go outside and explore. What she finds is she doesn't really need technology to peak her imagination. She discov ...more
Robin
Dec 02, 2012 Robin added it
Nancy
Feb 01, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Honestly, when I first read this book I did not get it. How could a book designed for two to six year olds teach them to put down their electronic gadgets? I had to step away and think about this for a few minutes.

Then it finally dawned on me, it was not about the child’s devices, it was about the parent’s. Now I felt really dumb because it did not come to me sooner. How many times does a child feel unimportant because their parents and siblings are too busy to acknowledge them?

A true light bulb
Holly Frasier
I like the message this book carries behind it and I think that it is an important one for teachers to teach children in this day and age. This book begins with a little girl trying to speak to her parents and friends, all of whom are stuck in grey worlds of technology and are too distracted for her. she becomes bored and sees a leaf flying outside. When she follows it outside she finds a colorful world where everything has time for her and she can explore and make new friends. When her parents ...more
Nancy
Dec 06, 2012 Nancy rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
I wanted to love this -- and did -- more and more, with each leafy hello and through the glorious stampede of animal hellos. Heavens I love the illustrations. But my love screeched to a halt at the exact moment she got her call and winced with it. Then this became a preachy finger shake at all of us. Little girl don't touch my phone.
Leona
Sep 18, 2013 Leona rated it really liked it
after being ignored by her tech-distracted family, little girl finds connection with nature. when her family notices she's gone, she runs home and is able to show them what they've been missing by staring at screens all the time. very sweet story, evocative pics, and timely as hell.
Natalie
Nov 06, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
So relevant in a time where interaction is done primarily using handheld devices. A great book to remind families of the importance of being present with one another.
Susan
Jan 31, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
So if I put my phone down, can I ride a whale?!
Jocelyne
Jul 22, 2014 Jocelyne rated it it was amazing
I loved it. Loved it. In the cyber world, no one seems to connect with people or the environment around them any longer. This little girl escapes into the world and discovers nature, meets animals and makes a new friend with a horse. Unfortunately, mom and dad are missing her by then. So she returns home and brings her family out to see the world. A great read. One word of caution: If you are the type of parent that becomes engrossed in your computer, you may discover a message for yourself rath ...more
Richie Partington
Nov 27, 2012 Richie Partington rated it it was amazing
Richie's Picks: HELLO! HELLO! by Matthew Cordell, Disney Hyperion, October 2012, 52p., ISBN: 978-1-4231-5906-3

"It's nature's way of telling you to slow down
It's nature's way of telling you, look around
It's nature's way of receiving you
It's nature's way of retrieving you
It's nature's way of telling you something's wrong"
-- "Nature's Way" by the late Randy California

HELLO! HELLO! is the story of a young girl who learns that, as Joni Mitchell taught us a generation ago, we've got to get ourselves b
David
Feb 13, 2013 David rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, family
hello! Hello! by Matthew Cordell follows a child seeking a way to communicate with parents and a brother who are busy with their electonic devices.

Cordell's illustrations were created with a bamboo pen and India ink, a bit of pencil, a Macintosh computer, a large format waterproof inkjet printer, and water color on paper. Images from inside the home are smaller and less colorful, while pictures outside are larger, far more colorful, and more fantastic. My favorite images are endpapers, leaf, bug
Lu Benke
Mar 28, 2013 Lu Benke rated it really liked it
Almost a five star. The storyline is actually not that different from those that show a disgruntled middle child looking for someone in the family to pay attention to her or play with her. Only this time it is electronic devices that have fixated her family members' attention. Making this treatment of the storyline appealing to me were the layers of unpacking that were possible. The lines of the illustrations reminded me of Quentin Blake's ability to convey impudence with a few swoops of facial ...more
Bethany Boutin
Aug 22, 2014 Bethany Boutin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Technology is cool, but the monotony of screen addiction can sometimes cause us to disconnect from relationships and nature. Follow one little girl as she unplugs and re-learns to appreciate the vibrancy of experiencing and imagining in the real world (and inspires her family to do so too!). Clever illustrations use digital text that segues into handwriting, and a black and white world blooms into one of color and texture.
Melanie
This book is a treasure from end page to end page.

Readers are introduced to a young girl surrounded by technological gadgets. First her hand held game player stops working, then her laptop computer won't load and her cell phone doesn't have signal. Finally she tries the television, but it's a rerun. What's a modern girl to do? She seeks out the other members of her family, all of whom are engaged with a device of their own.

Sighing, the young girl heads for the front door where she notices a leaf
Maggie Burgess
Feb 28, 2015 Maggie Burgess rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the illustrations. Simple words with a big message. I think kids will enjoy this story- I wish it would actually encourage some to step away from devices for a bit. Unfortunately, I think the people who agree/relate, don't need the message, and the ones who do need message, wouldn't pick up or like the book. Such is life I suppose! Sweet story.
Amy
Jan 11, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
We read this book together in 2nd grade lib in preparation for our Mock Caldecott. If you base this book's success purely on likability and response amongst students, it would certainly win. Their reaction of laughter was delightful! But what struck me most was their insight to the underlying message of the story. The book has few words besides the word "hello," but some of them understood the author's intent. There was a purposeful message in addition to the laughter the story produced and it p ...more
Eva Best
Apr 06, 2016 Eva Best rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book for this younger generation. Wow! An early reader book, but great lesson for any age! The illustrations are a huge part of this book, and encourage the reader to put the gadgets down and go outside! This is a wonderful book and I would put it in my classroom for sure!
Brigida
Apr 03, 2013 Brigida rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
In a world that screams technology, we often find ourselves at times being enslaved to such. We tend to forget to take a break and just relax. When Lydia's gadgets fail her, she goes to her family for attention. However, they are too wrapped up with their gadgets, she decides to venture outside. She explores her enviroment and is at ease with it. She forgets about everything until her phone rings and her parents are demanding to know where she is at. She then goes back home bearing gifts to each ...more
Jessica Lopez
Feb 24, 2015 Jessica Lopez rated it liked it
In a world lost to gadgets, this story takes you on a journey of a little girl that wanted to disconnect from her gadgets and connect with the real world. The books opens with no color only to explode with color as the little girl rediscovers the world around her. It has a good message and I feel it did a great job of getting it across.
Sharlin Craig
Mar 24, 2016 Sharlin Craig rated it it was amazing
Hello! Hello! covers such an important message re: putting down the electronics and living life. It was beautifully illustrated and captured the joyful feeling of exuberance that only living life to the fullest can bring. I loved this book!
Diane
Jun 27, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it
It's amazing what you'll see and experience if you just put down your personal device! Adventures await when you walk out that door. Just don't forget to tell your parents where you're going ... or better yet, take them with you!
Aug 19, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
This has a good message to share with students about putting down technology and not letting real-life pass on by...interesting that it was published two years ago, and technology use has increased even since then.
Paul
Jan 03, 2013 Paul rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
This book indicates how deeply into the digital and technical age we now are, with characters' activities being dominated by cell phones, laptops and electronic games. Getting no response from her parents and brother, the young girl heads outdoors and finds herself greeting leaves, insects, flowers, animals and the whole world. The exuberance of the illustrations carries the energy of the story (imagine a full-size whale "galloping" through the countryside with lots of other animals). Although t ...more
Steven Matview
Feb 25, 2014 Steven Matview rated it really liked it
Shelves: e
A little girl decides to take a break from technology and spend a day experiencing the outside. This book is worth it for the final splash page of her and her family alone.
YA Book Club!: Hello 9 10 Mar 20, 2015 11:39AM