Start by marking “Let's Go for a Drive! (Elephant & Piggie, #18)” as Want to Read:
Let's Go for a Drive! (Elephant & Piggie, #18)

Let's Go for a Drive! (Elephant & Piggie #18)

4.39  ·  Rating Details ·  3,454 Ratings  ·  347 Reviews

Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.
Gerald and Piggie are best friends.
In Let's Go for a Drive Gerald and Piggie want to hit the road. But the best-laid plans of pigs and elephants often go awry.
Published October 2nd 2012 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Let's Go for a Drive!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let's Go for a Drive!

Melissa
There's a classic bit of writer's advice that a good ending is both surprising and inevitable. Mo Willems has this down at the DNA level; the Elephant and Piggie books always, always, always end well.

Again there's a lot of strength in the expressions on the two friends' faces and the way their bodies inhabit the pages. I read this with my 11yo, who loved the line, "A pig with a car would be silly." She cracked up and said, "But a pig with all this other stuff is okay?"

Great attention to detail
Douglas Cootey
Aug 26, 2014 Douglas Cootey rated it really liked it
I've been studying Mo Willems lately. What's the big hullabaloo about Mo Willems? His art's not the best. It's rather rudimentary. His colors are muted and uninspiring. His plots aren't innovative. His stories are about the sounds that animals make or fractured fairy tales, for example—subjects covered by countless other picture book authors. In fact, his plots are rather ordinary. So why is he so popular? It became my mission to find out, so I borrowed 8 of his books from the library.

This book
Jaksen
Jan 03, 2016 Jaksen rated it it was amazing
Another book my seven-year old grandson handed to me and told me to READ. He got this one and one other for Christmas and whether we read them alone or together, we smile and giggle all the way through. There's humor and silliness and these two - the elephant and the pig - get up to some rather crazy, yet simple-to-understand shenanigans. In this one they're trying to take a trip, a drive, but neither knows exactly how to go about doing so, so they get a map...

The map later re-appears in a total
Dolly
Aug 10, 2014 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, humor, 2012
Yay! Another Elephant and Piggie story! We read them as soon as we can get them at our local library. We just love these books and our girls love to play the different parts.

With only two speaking parts, I got to sit back and listen to our girls read the book to me. I love how Mo Willems includes lots of varying volumes and enthusiasm in his dialogue and I was so impressed how our girls used different inflections in their voice to convey these changes.

Younger children will love the repetition
Crystal Bandel
Oct 08, 2013 Crystal Bandel rated it it was amazing
Let's Go for a Drive! by Mo Willems, published 2012.

Fiction.

Picture book.

Pre-K to grade 2.

Found via Booklist, reviewed by Daniel Kraus.

Gerald the elephant has the idea to go for a drive, and his best friend, Piggie, agrees. Together, the two of them collect various things they could need for a drive--umbrellas, sunglasses, a map, and bags. When it comes time to get a car, though, neither of them has one, and the two have to find a new way to spend their day. Like other books in this series, this
midnightfaerie
Sep 09, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another wonderful Willems book that kept both my 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds fascinated. Not enough words to be even a reading level 1 book, Willems still has a way about him to bring the reader into his wonderful world. These books are ones my whole family loves. And a fellow friend on GR recently told me that the pigeon was hidden in each book and we now love to look for him too! Fun for all and a great addition to any children's library!
Lauren
Oct 03, 2012 Lauren rated it liked it
I know this seems weird but I am worried that Elephant is becoming a caricature of himself. This installment was less subtle in its humor and I miss the added dimension that Willems usually includes.
Jenn Swanson
Oct 12, 2016 Jenn Swanson rated it really liked it
Elephant and Piggie plan on going for a drive but first they need to gather a few things. Well, a lot of things. My daughter thought this book was funny and seemed to enjoy it a lot. Would recommend.
Aaron
Nov 30, 2012 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Humans
Mo Willems in general and his Elephant and Piggie books in particular are the best things to happen to children's literature since a guy named Steve started making lists of Best Things to Happen to ______ since _______ back in the 1870s. You could look up that Steve thing or just trust that I did not make it up.

In any case, the latest adventures of Gerald and Piggie involve typically hilarious preparations for a road trip and culminate in a punchline that is utterly charming and delightful even
Erin
Jun 15, 2014 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, childrens, 2014
As an elementary school librarian and a mom to two young kids, I firmly believe that Mo Willems is a genius. I recently acquired this book and it has strengthened my opinion. Willems continues to solidify his place as my favorite children's book author.

The Elephant and Piggie books are a series of easy-readers. I rarely enjoy reading fiction easy-readers, and thus have a tendency to avoid doing so. In an interview with Willems, he discussed how easy-readers are known in the publishing world as
Jose
Jun 07, 2013 Jose rated it liked it
Mo Willems' "Let's Go for a Drive!" was an honoree for the 2013 Theodor Seuss Geisel award. The cover shows an elephant and Piggie driving a mango-colored convertible with a pigeon ornament. However, this is in a though bubble above a cut-off Elephant and Piggie. The story starts with Elephant and Piggie having the great idea of going for a drive. The illustrations are simple and colorful as is the text. I think the idea is very engaging for children because of their nature to imitate adults. ...more
Anna
Jul 19, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it
Let's Go for a drive / Mo Willems / 2012
Genre: fiction
Format: easy/beginning reader

Plot summary: Good friends Elephant and Piggie, sharing their high spirits through song and dance, prepare for a drive. Best plans go awry when they realize they have no car.

Considerations: none
Review: (from ALA)
"Text clues in color-coded speech bubbles, white backgrounds and bold mixed-media illustrations add to the book’s appeal for beginning readers."

Section source: Geisel Award 2013 Honor Book
Recommended age
Ann
Jan 06, 2013 Ann rated it liked it
Another Elephant and Piggie book! What could be better? Except this one doesn't have the odd, charming clarity and balance of the best books (There is a Bird on Your Head and We Are in a Book!) in the series. It's kind of like breaking open a pinata--it's too much bozzaz. But even if the story doesn't hit the target, there is almost nothing more pleasurable than watching Gerald and especially Piggie pull faces.
Christine
Aug 22, 2016 Christine rated it it was amazing
Elephant and Piggie are awesome.

This book is fun to read aloud, as it's fun to emote for Elephant and involves lots of yelling, often in a sing-songy voice.

Not recommended for right before bed =)
Morgan
Oct 15, 2012 Morgan rated it it was amazing
This book makes me miss doing storytime! It is right up my alley! I might just have to put together a kit in case I ever have an emergency school visit. Map, sunglasses, umbrella and suitcase. What a fun book!
William
Jun 19, 2016 William rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
Such fun!
Shannon Kitchen
Jan 20, 2013 Shannon Kitchen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, animals, humor
I pretty much love every Elephant and Piggie adventure. I love Mo Willems. It's out there.
Mary
Oct 22, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
Elephant (Gerald) is really good at overreacting. Just like me.
Maria
Dec 20, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it
This book pretty much explains my life this year. You need a plan and a friend!
Kyra Harwell
Nov 08, 2012 Kyra Harwell rated it it was amazing
Another fun book by Mo Willems. This would be an excellent choice for Reader's Theater.
Marcella Santos
Nov 06, 2016 Marcella Santos rated it really liked it
Mo Willems’ take on the cautionary tale has a silly twist that both children and adults will find endearing. Elephant and Piggie spend a lot of time and effort preparing for a fun day of driving, but their plans are foiled when they forget the most important thing-a car! The duo’s hilariously human-like facial expressions promote a sense of relatability and connection to the reader’s own past mishaps, while stark white backgrounds focus the reader’s attention to the frantic-ness of the moment. ...more
Tina
Nov 01, 2016 Tina rated it it was amazing
How genius is Mo Willems? Always gives me a chuckle. Such expressions on the faces of Elephant and Piggie. Love it!
Alexander Lee
Nov 12, 2016 Alexander Lee rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book because I like Elephant and Piggie books. I also enjoyed this book because there is a little pigeon head on the cover.
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
I always enjoy my adventures with Elephant & Piggie. If they aren't your friends yet, I recommend going for a drive to your local library and meeting them.
Lexi Beaver
Oct 04, 2016 Lexi Beaver rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng-350
This book, another Elephant and Piggie adventure, follows the two of them wanting to go for a drive, but more like a super long roadtrip! Each page shows them gathering supplies that they might need, like a map, sunglasses, and other traveling things. The problem is that towards the end, both of them realize suddenly that for a drive you need a car...something they don't have! So they change their plans and use the gathered objects to make a pretend ship and play "pirates" with each other ...more
Sidney
Piggy and Gerald decide to go on a drive as they prepare they gather many things including sunglasses. When they are ready to go on that drive they realize that don't have a car so they have to make do and play pirates instead. I like this book because it teaches children problem solving and its funny.
Alina Lu
Oct 01, 2016 Alina Lu rated it liked it
Elephant and piggie want to drive a car but they don't have a car.
Elisa Pereyra-Molina
Heather
Title:Lets Go For a Drive
Author: Mo Willems
Genre: Fantasy

Plot Summary: in this book an elephant and a pig go for a drive. They are all excited to go when they slowly start to realize all the things they are missing for the trip. They need maps, an umbrella, sunglasses and more. Once they collect all these items they realize they do not have the most important thing they need for a trip, a car! So instead they play pirate.

Literary Merit: I might say the plot is an important aspect of this book. I
  • Up, Tall, and High!
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • Two for One (Bink & Gollie, #2)
  • Bear Has a Story to Tell
  • The Monsters' Monster
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse: TOON Level 1
  • I'm Bored
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
  • Oh, No!
  • Chloe and the Lion
  • hello! hello!
  • Marty McGuire Digs Worms!
  • Boot & Shoe
  • Brief Thief
  • Z Is for Moose
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r
More about Mo Willems...

Elephant & Piggie (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Today I Will Fly! (Elephant & Piggie, #1)
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)
  • There is a Bird on Your Head! (Elephant & Piggie, #4)
  • I Love My New Toy! (Elephant & Piggie, #5)
  • I Will Surprise My Friend! (Elephant & Piggie, #6)
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • Watch Me Throw the Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #8)
  • Elephants Cannot Dance! (Elephant & Piggie, #9)
  • Pigs Make Me Sneeze! (Elephant & Piggie, #10)