Let's Go for a Drive! (An Elephant and Piggie Book)

Let's Go for a Drive! (Elephant and Piggie #18)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  1,213 ratings  ·  228 reviews

Gerald is careful. Piggie is not.
Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald worries so that Piggie does not have to.
Gerald and Piggie are best friends.
In Let's Go for a Drive Gerald and Piggie want to hit the road. But the best-laid plans of pigs and elephants often go awry.
Published October 2nd 2012 by Disney-Hyperion

Melissa
There's a classic bit of writer's advice that a good ending is both surprising and inevitable. Mo Willems has this down at the DNA level; the Elephant and Piggie books always, always, always end well.

Again there's a lot of strength in the expressions on the two friends' faces and the way their bodies inhabit the pages. I read this with my 11yo, who loved the line, "A pig with a car would be silly." She cracked up and said, "But a pig with all this other stuff is okay?"

Great attention to detail...more
Douglas Cootey
I've been studying Mo Willems lately. What's the big hullabaloo about Mo Willems? His art's not the best. It's rather rudimentary. His colors are rather muted and uninspiring. His plots aren't innovative. His stories are about the sounds that animals make or fractured fairy tales, for example—subjects covered by countless other picture book authors. In fact, his plots are rather ordinary. So why is he so popular? It became my mission to find out, so I got 8 of his books from the library.

This bo...more
midnightfaerie
Another wonderful Willems book that kept both my 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds fascinated. Not enough words to be even a reading level 1 book, Willems still has a way about him to bring the reader into his wonderful world. These books are ones my whole family loves. And a fellow friend on GR recently told me that the pigeon was hidden in each book and we now love to look for him too! Fun for all and a great addition to any children's library!
Dolly
Oct 22, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens
Yay! Another Elephant and Piggie story! We read them as soon as we can get them at our local library. We just love these books and our girls love to play the different parts. With only two speaking parts, I got to sit back and listen to our girls read the book to me. I love how Mo Willems includes lots of varying volumes and enthusiasm in his dialogue and I was so impressed how our girls used different inflections in their voice to convey these changes.

Younger children will love the repetition...more
Aaron
Nov 30, 2012 Aaron rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Humans
Mo Willems in general and his Elephant and Piggie books in particular are the best things to happen to children's literature since a guy named Steve started making lists of Best Things to Happen to ______ since _______ back in the 1870s. You could look up that Steve thing or just trust that I did not make it up.

In any case, the latest adventures of Gerald and Piggie involve typically hilarious preparations for a road trip and culminate in a punchline that is utterly charming and delightful even...more
Crystal Bandel
Let's Go for a Drive! by Mo Willems, published 2012.

Fiction.

Picture book.

Pre-K to grade 2.

Found via Booklist, reviewed by Daniel Kraus.

Gerald the elephant has the idea to go for a drive, and his best friend, Piggie, agrees. Together, the two of them collect various things they could need for a drive--umbrellas, sunglasses, a map, and bags. When it comes time to get a car, though, neither of them has one, and the two have to find a new way to spend their day. Like other books in this series, this...more
Jose
Mo Willems' "Let's Go for a Drive!" was an honoree for the 2013 Theodor Seuss Geisel award. The cover shows an elephant and Piggie driving a mango-colored convertible with a pigeon ornament. However, this is in a though bubble above a cut-off Elephant and Piggie. The story starts with Elephant and Piggie having the great idea of going for a drive. The illustrations are simple and colorful as is the text. I think the idea is very engaging for children because of their nature to imitate adults. Th...more
Anna
Let's Go for a drive / Mo Willems / 2012
Genre: fiction
Format: easy/beginning reader

Plot summary: Good friends Elephant and Piggie, sharing their high spirits through song and dance, prepare for a drive. Best plans go awry when they realize they have no car.

Considerations: none
Review: (from ALA)
"Text clues in color-coded speech bubbles, white backgrounds and bold mixed-media illustrations add to the book’s appeal for beginning readers."

Section source: Geisel Award 2013 Honor Book
Recommended age...more
Ann
Another Elephant and Piggie book! What could be better? Except this one doesn't have the odd, charming clarity and balance of the best books (There is a Bird on Your Head and We Are in a Book!) in the series. It's kind of like breaking open a pinata--it's too much bozzaz. But even if the story doesn't hit the target, there is almost nothing more pleasurable than watching Gerald and especially Piggie pull faces.
Morgan
This book makes me miss doing storytime! It is right up my alley! I might just have to put together a kit in case I ever have an emergency school visit. Map, sunglasses, umbrella and suitcase. What a fun book!
Lauren
I know this seems weird but I am worried that Elephant is becoming a caricature of himself. This installment was less subtle in its humor and I miss the added dimension that Willems usually includes.
Shannon Kitchen
I pretty much love every Elephant and Piggie adventure. I love Mo Willems. It's out there.
Kyra Harwell
Another fun book by Mo Willems. This would be an excellent choice for Reader's Theater.
Maria
This book pretty much explains my life this year. You need a plan and a friend!
Mary
Elephant (Gerald) is really good at overreacting. Just like me.
David
Let's Go for a Drive! (Elephant and Piggie #18) by Mo Willems show Gerald and Piggie wanting to hit the road. Will Gerald's best-laid plans go smoothly?

Willems' illustrations have their typical wide range of emotions, and despite details, focus on the two main characters. My favorite images are endpapers, Drivey-drive-drive, Mappy-map-map, Umbrelly-umbrellas, elephant smiles, WHAT NOW!, and last picture.

Mo Willems is one of my favorite picture book authors, and I generally love Elephant & P...more
Elma Branigan
Let’s Go For a Drive by Mo Willems

I recently came across this book and thoroughly enjoyed it, finding it enthusiastic and engaging. “Let’s go for a Drive” is an animated book about two best friends. It is a relatively new book and new adventure for elephant and piggy. The two characters have very different personalities compared to one another. Gerald the elephant is very careful whereas piggy is not. Piggy always seems to be smiling whereas Gerald doesn’t...more
Ying Lee
Genre: Fantasy
Copyright:2012

Gerald, the elephant, proposed to go for a ride, which made Piggie feel excited. To prepare for the drive, they came up with a plan, getting a map, sunglasses, umbrellas, and suitcases. As they seemed to prepare everything, one thing that was missing was a car. But, none of them had a car! When Gerald was too disappointed and cried, Piggie proposed to play a game of pirate that they used everything they prepared for the drive to build a pirate ship. Gerald was very ha...more
Suzanne
Good friends Elephant and Piggie devise an ingenious plan to go for a drive but are inevitably foiled when it is clear neither one of them owns a car.

This is an “I Can Read” book and an honor book for the Geisel Award. This would be a great book to introduce starter words. Early readers could hold up cards with their words when they are introduced in the book. A lesson could also be centered around the content of the book which involves the importance of making plans and using a map.

Elephant an...more
Becky
Oct 13, 2012 Becky rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I've loved every Elephant & Piggie book, this one Let's Go For a Drive is no exception. I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Elephant and Piggie so much that it would be hard for me not to enjoy each adventure. I do like some books better than others, there will always be favorites for me within the series. This one probably won't make my favorite-from-this-series list. But I did enjoy it. With each rereading I enjoyed it a little more. Gerald, the elephant, is making plans, BIG PLANS for his drive with...more
Karen
I am such a big fan of Piggie and Elephant. My children love them, too. Let's Go for a Drive is another winner. Mo Willems does a great job of making Piggie and Elephant's facial expressions easy for young children to know and understand how the words should be read. Even though my daughter is a beginner reader, she still gets her reading emotions correct when reading this book.

Let's Go for a Drive is another great example of a simple plot that children can understand, but it is also still humo...more
Lisa T
I picked up an Elephant and Piggy book to read to my daughter at Barnes and Noble one day and now they are my go to book every time we visit the library. DD loves them! They are simple but very entertaining, even for an adult. The illustrations are cute and the stories usually give me a chuckle. I've yet to read a bad one. "Let's Go for a Drive" was especially cute. These are must have books for all young kids!
Sarah Alexander
I really like this book and it is a part of the An Elephant & Piggie series. The story is about an elephant and a pig that want to go for a drive. They gather all of the items they believe will be necessary for a drive and are ready to go, until they realize that they do not have a car. The elephant is not happy that there is no car until Piggie comes up with an idea. This would be a great book to use in the classroom to have students practice their high frequency words and practice their fl...more
After We Are In a Book!, I just don't know where else Willems can go with these two. That meta easy reader was completely tops in my book - pushing the boundaries of what an easy reader can be while also entertaining kids and their parents alike. Still, Let's Go For a Drive is a raucous romp of hilarity and fun; Gerald and Piggie decide to take a drive and assemble all the necessary items for such an outing ... or do they? Subtle changes in lines make dramatic differences in expressions between...more
Kellylou
"Who needs plans when you have a pig for a pal?"

Love the energy and excitement in this little story. Sometimes plans just don't work out the way we want, but with the right friend it's easy to sail on through.

The facial expressions on Elephant and Pig really make this book for me - great for talking about emotions with students! I hope every child is fortunate enough to get to know these two fun characters.
Corey Harris
Elephant and Piggie want to go for a drive, but Elephant remembers that good planning requires being prepared. However, they find all the things they need but one. The author used a limited vocabulary very well and the illustrations are fun to act out with anyone. I recommend it to dramatic people.
Charlotte
We love Elephant and Piggie. It's really hard to find books that my Kindergartner can read independently that don't bore her (and me) to tears. This is the answer. Willems uses simple words & expressive line drawings to tell a more complex story than your typical Dick and Jane emerging reader fare. The characters have personality and humor. My daughter noticed something I didn't. She pointed out to me that when Elephant speaks the thought bubble is grayish-blue, the color of his hide. When P...more
Heidi
Love it!! Of course. This is so fun to see them prepare for a trip, with a twist at the end that is so obvious yet not--it's brilliant! Got this just in time for our last "What You Love" storytime. Dilemma: do I read this one (for cars) or the ice cream one? Hmmm...

11/7/12 & 11/8/12: Dilemma solved. I read both E&P books. The kids enjoy them so much, they didn't mind having two. And they really liked this. Amazing how doing the sing-song excitement parts prompted the kids to repeat me wi...more
Libby
This may be my favorite Elephant and Piggie book of all time.

We first checked it out just before Christmas, and I knew it was a winner when 2 1/2 year old M. spent our 6 hour drive to Maryland reciting, "Drive, drive, drive-y drive drive!" She can now recite almost the entire book from memory. It's also a great group book, since the refrains invite choral reading.

It doesn't seem as deep conceptually as We are in a Book!, or , but I think it's more delightful, both because of the original premise...more
Snorkle
I really enjoyed this book! I always like seeing the misadventures/antics/craziness of the Elephant and Piggie books. I liked Gerald's constant revelations of what they would need for their drive and how Piggie would gleefully run off to fetch the new things. I also loved how the book ended; specifically Piggie's clever resolution. Overall this book was entertaining and cute. I vastly enjoyed it and would definitely recommend to old and new fans alike. I was also amused to see not ONE but TWO hi...more
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • Creepy Carrots!
  • Z Is for Moose
  • hello! hello!
  • Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great
  • There's a Fly Guy in My Soup (Fly Guy, #12)
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r...more
More about Mo Willems...
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!