Start by marking “Don't Know Much About the American Presidents” as Want to Read:
Don't Know Much About the American Presidents

Don't Know Much About the American Presidents (Don't Know Much About)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Which president broke the law to prevent enslaved people from being freed? Who said, "When the president does it,that means it's not illegal"? Why does America have a president? From the heated debates among the framers of the Constitution in 1787 over an "elected king," to the creation of the presidency, and on through rich profiles of each man who has held the office, Ne ...more
Published September 18th 2012 by Hachette Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Know Much About the American Presidents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Know Much About the American Presidents

Linda
This book portends to be historical but it is nothing more than
Liberal-biased media. For the reviews of the most recent presidents, the author's analysis is superficial. He has simply taken the spin of the liberal media and regurgitated it as fact. Yuck!
Peter Mcloughlin
Not a bad source for thumbnail portraits of the presidents and the office of the presidency. I do have serious qualms about Davis's ratings. They are safe CNN both sides balanced ratings. I seriously disagree with giving Reagan a high rating and LBJs was a little low. He hits the safe bets well FDR, Lincoln, Washington,TR but I would have liked something a little less vanilla.
Danny Marcalo
This actually works. Each president is only discussed in no more than 8-10 pages. Still, it makes for some interesting reading, as Davis writes in an engaging, not at all historical, as in History as a scholarly subject, style. There are a few dents in his writing as he tends to repeat phrases, sometimes on the same page. Do I agree with his assessments of the Presidents. To be honest, I don't know much, if anything, about most of the commanders-in-chief, especially of the 19th century. Some of ...more
Anthony
Good summary of each President. Thought the writer was a bit to bias against some Presidents over others. Was'nt neutral. Knew pretty fast what party he belonged to. I felt the disgust in the way he wrote about certain Presidents. And the pleasure about others!
Heather
After having enjoyed the initial installment of the Don’t Know Much About… series I was excited to read Kenneth C. Davis’ take on the American Presidents. Davis breaks his narrative down into three major sections: The Making of the President; Presidential Profiles; and What Should We Do With the President?. The first section focuses on what the Constitutional framers intended the role of the President to be (or not be). The second, and admittedly where the bulk of the book takes place, is a look ...more
Dayna Kidle
I received Don't Know Much About the American Presidents through a Goodreads Giveaway!

I won a prize pack of the whole collection of these books and was so excited! I love history and couldn't want to dive in. The first book I picked up to read was this one about the American presidents. This is a heavy book and not for the light reader! Although I suggest picking it up and reading a bit every day. I felt like I learned so much about the presidents. There are so many interesting facts and footnot
Shaun Campbell
Lots of good information for those without knowledge of the history of the presidency.
Shelli
Final Judgment: Stars 3 / *U for uncompleted

While filled with interesting well known (and some lesser known) facts about the Executive and Chief, the author inserted too much of his own opinion into the material. Often times trivializing or barely mentioning, key “milestones” in a president’s life to fit his “grade.” Example: A+ four term leader Franklin Delano Roosevelt did not losing any % points due to his wrongful interment of 110,000-120,000 Japanese Americans during World War II. Don’t get
Shane Perry
Wow. A lot of Conservatives sure do hate this book. Unfortunately, that's not the reason I picked it up. I've already been interested in American History and Presidential trivia, so a book claiming to know things I didn't was too intriguing to pass up. I think Davis' process works for about 75% of this book. Particularly the presidents you may not remember or know as much about, this book shines with a great breadth of info. I really like the way each chapter is split up, particularly how Davis ...more
Pamela
I just received my copy of Don't Know Much About the American Presidents by Kenneth C. Davis along with the audio book. Already we are listening as a family in the van and thoroughly enjoying it! More to come as we progress through the CDs.....WONDERFUL!

(forward to a few months later after delving into the books.....)

This book has been a wonderful resource for the whole family. We have listened to it in the van while on road trips and vacations. Written in a language even 4th graders can underst
Nell
Reading Rising Tide made me realize how little I knew about the U.S. presidents, so I read a couple of books of capsule biographies. The other is U.S. Presidents for Dummies by Marcus A. Stadelman.

Both have analysis and give a letter grade to each president. I liked this one for its timelines of events, including those not included in the discussion which still give the context of the times. Because Davis's book is longer it can tell more about each president. And it's newer, ending with Obama;
Melissa
I bought this for my son (10) to learn about the Presidents for his academic games at school. This book is an incredible source of unbiased information regarding each President, his history as well as the timeline of events that occurred while each President was in office. A great book.
My first audio book. I have always shied away from listening to a book on tape. Guess I feel as though I am cheating. However, I have been craving learning lately and my reading can't keep up with my desire to gain knowledge. Additionally, this book is rather voluminous so I thought it might be a good one to begin with. I did learn an awful lot although I would have liked to have a paper copy with me as I listened because there were so many things I wanted to remember. Davis gives each president ...more
KJ
I really enjoyed this book. I 'read' it via audio book and I'm not sure if it would have been as interesting if I read it the traditional way. It was perfect for an audio book as it was little blurbs about the different presidents, the times they lived in, what occurred during their administration, etc. There were so many little things I didn't know about our presidents. And Teddy Roosevelt talking about the willfully ignorant masses of America was so funny I had to rewind it multiple times and ...more
Kendra
This is a great book to either read straight through, or to pick up for short periods of reading. The author describes each president in several pages, including facts about his birth, family circumstances, current events, highlights and low points in his presidency, and gives each one a final "grade" as the country's leader. The evaluations seem to be fairly objective, and not terribly biased from any political perspective. This is one that I will keep on my shelves & I'm sure I'll dip back ...more
Terry
It was particularly enjoyable for me to red this book during the presidential election season. Not only is it full of fun and quirky facts about American presidents, it tells of events that happened in United States history that are relevant in today's political climate. Since all the presidents are covered in 5-10 pages, there is not much detail. There is a bibliography included in each biography (including websites) that lead the reader to more information about each president. Fascinating.
Beth Olson shultz
A very interesting book. The don't know much about series is so good and this book is the best yet. I thought I wouldn't be surprised about any of the presidents, but there were some items I did not know about. Good read!
Harry Hemstreet
A really long book (752 pages) and only worthwhile to a dedicated history buff. At various times I considered giving it up, but overall it kept me interested. Problem is there were very few interesting/ exciting presidents. I have lived through 13 of the 44, so 30% of all presidents to date. Have voted in 10 presidential elections (just under 25%), and remember all but FDR.
Jess
This is a great book for history buffs, even for those who consider themselves very well educated on presidential knowledge. (Like myself) It follows Davis’ usual question and answer style format if you have read any of his books before. A great look back at the presidential administrations of the past and how they shaped our country’s past and future.
Tracey Axnick
Really enjoyed this. Didn't agree with many of the "ratings" but of course that is subjective.
Found out a lot of interesting trivia, and the Presidents "came alive" as individuals throughout the book.
Prospero
Even at 750+ pages, each of the 44 US presidents doesn't get much more than a Wikipedia article's worth of ink...and that's to be expected. This is a mere survey, after all, but one told in the entertaining fashion that Davis honed in earlier titles in his "Don't Know Much" series. I enjoyed it greatly.
Jacqueline
A rather boring book with some interesting facts thrown in for flavor. I listened to this on audio book and it really suffered from the too many narrators syndrome. Half the time I wasn't sure who was talking when and the different voices would jolt me out of my enjoyment of the book.
Lorettab
Kenneth Davis has once again given us a very enjoyable and educational book.
He inspires his readers to dig deeper into subjects and enjoy learning.
I had the audio book from my local library. The first disc included a pdf file with a lot of additional interesting material.
Brinkley
I really like the way Davis organizes and presents his work. I have read his other books on U.S. History, the Civil War, world religions, and literature. I would like to see him tackle world history, specifically World War One and Two.
Amy Brawdy-Carlo

This is an entertaining book .....interesting facts as well as history lesson...fun read and very informative....not just about our presidents but about our government and our constitution.
Daven
Totally grabbed by this - learned so much, and found it all incredibly interesting. Davis has a knack; anyone with a bit of interest in American history should be soaking up everything he writes.
Stefan
Pretty good, out of 750 pages, only a couple of mistakes here and there, but overall this book is informative for anyone who wants to know about the Presidents, and the issues of the day they faced.
Barbara Lovejoy
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I learned so much about different presidents (and history!) that I didn't know. I would definitely consider reading it again.
Ryan Montour
Great book with good summaries on each president. I really do not understand the accusations of political bias on the author. Thought this was pretty good.
Tyler Mathis
I thought it was a good summary of all the Presidents and the related history. I thought the author was very objective in his grading of the presidents.
  • What are the Seven Wonders of the World?: And 100 Other Great Cultural Lists--Fully Explicated
  • Atheism for Dummies
  • Masters of the Word: How Media Shaped History
  • The Things That Nobody Knows: 501 Mysteries of Life, the Universe and Everything
  • The Story of Music
  • War and Gold: A 500-Year History of Empires, Adventures, and Debt
  • The Georgetown Set: The Establishment Elite Who Waged--and Won--the Cold War
  • The Problem of Slavery in Western Culture
  • Liberalism: The Life of an Idea
  • Our America: A Hispanic History of the United States
  • The Sea and Civilization: A Maritime History of the World
  • Inequality: What Can Be Done?
  • Sextant: The Elegant Instrument That Guided the Great Explorers, and a Young Man's First Journey Across the Atlantic
  • Empire of Cotton: A Global History
  • War! What Is It Good For?: Conflict and the Progress of Civilization from Primates to Robots
  • Blood of Tyrants: George Washington & the Forging of the Presidency
  • The Mathematical Experience
  • The Parthenon Enigma
Kenneth C. Davis is the New York Times bestselling author of the Don't Know Much About series of books and audios for adults and children. The first title in the series, Don't Know Much About History became a New York Times bestseller in 1991 and remained on the paperback list for 35 consecutive weeks. It has since been revised several times and now has more than 1.6 million copies in print.

He is
More about Kenneth C. Davis...

Don't Know Much About (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Don't Know Much About American History
  • Don't Know Much about History: Everything You Need to Know about American History But Never Learned
  • Don't Know Much About the Presidents
  • Don't Know Much About the 50 States
  • Don't Know Much About Space
  • Don't Know Much about World Myths
  • Don't Know Much about Mummies
  • Don't Know Much About Geography: Everything You Need to Know About the World but Never Learned
  • Don't Know Much about Planet Earth
  • Don't Know Much About the Bible: Everything You Need to Know About the Good Book but Never Learned
Don't Know Much about History: Everything You Need to Know about American History But Never Learned Don't Know Much About the Bible: Everything You Need to Know About the Good Book but Never Learned Don't Know Much About Mythology: Everything You Need to Know About the Greatest Stories in Human History but Never Learned America's Hidden History: Untold Tales of the First Pilgrims, Fighting Women, and Forgotten Founders Who Shaped a Nation Don't Know Much About the Civil War: Everything You Need to Know About America's Greatest Conflict but Never Learned