Don't Know Much About the American Presidents

Don't Know Much About the American Presidents (Don't Know Much About)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Which president broke the law to prevent enslaved people from being freed? Who said, "When the president does it,that means it's not illegal"? Why does America have a president? From the heated debates among the framers of the Constitution in 1787 over an "elected king," to the creation of the presidency, and on through rich profiles of each man who has held the office, Ne...more
Published September 18th 2012 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Know Much About the American Presidents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Know Much About the American Presidents

Linda
This book portends to be historical but it is nothing more than
Liberal-biased media. For the reviews of the most recent presidents, the author's analysis is superficial. He has simply taken the spin of the liberal media and regurgitated it as fact. Yuck!
Anthony
Good summary of each President. Thought the writer was a bit to bias against some Presidents over others. Was'nt neutral. Knew pretty fast what party he belonged to. I felt the disgust in the way he wrote about certain Presidents. And the pleasure about others!
Dayna Kidle
I received Don't Know Much About® the American Presidents through a Goodreads Giveaway!

I won a prize pack of the whole collection of these books and was so excited! I love history and couldn't want to dive in. The first book I picked up to read was this one about the American presidents. This is a heavy book and not for the light reader! Although I suggest picking it up and reading a bit every day. I felt like I learned so much about the presidents. There are so many interesting facts and footno...more
Pamela
I just received my copy of Don't Know Much About the American Presidents by Kenneth C. Davis along with the audio book. Already we are listening as a family in the van and thoroughly enjoying it! More to come as we progress through the CDs.....WONDERFUL!

(forward to a few months later after delving into the books.....)

This book has been a wonderful resource for the whole family. We have listened to it in the van while on road trips and vacations. Written in a language even 4th graders can underst...more
Nell
Reading Rising Tide made me realize how little I knew about the U.S. presidents, so I read a couple of books of capsule biographies. The other is U.S. Presidents for Dummies by Marcus A. Stadelman.

Both have analysis and give a letter grade to each president. I liked this one for its timelines of events, including those not included in the discussion which still give the context of the times. Because Davis's book is longer it can tell more about each president. And it's newer, ending with Obama;...more
My first audio book. I have always shied away from listening to a book on tape. Guess I feel as though I am cheating. However, I have been craving learning lately and my reading can't keep up with my desire to gain knowledge. Additionally, this book is rather voluminous so I thought it might be a good one to begin with. I did learn an awful lot although I would have liked to have a paper copy with me as I listened because there were so many things I wanted to remember. Davis gives each president...more
KJ Lipkey
I really enjoyed this book. I 'read' it via audio book and I'm not sure if it would have been as interesting if I read it the traditional way. It was perfect for an audio book as it was little blurbs about the different presidents, the times they lived in, what occurred during their administration, etc. There were so many little things I didn't know about our presidents. And Teddy Roosevelt talking about the willfully ignorant masses of America was so funny I had to rewind it multiple times and...more
Kendra
This is a great book to either read straight through, or to pick up for short periods of reading. The author describes each president in several pages, including facts about his birth, family circumstances, current events, highlights and low points in his presidency, and gives each one a final "grade" as the country's leader. The evaluations seem to be fairly objective, and not terribly biased from any political perspective. This is one that I will keep on my shelves & I'm sure I'll dip back...more
Terry
It was particularly enjoyable for me to red this book during the presidential election season. Not only is it full of fun and quirky facts about American presidents, it tells of events that happened in United States history that are relevant in today's political climate. Since all the presidents are covered in 5-10 pages, there is not much detail. There is a bibliography included in each biography (including websites) that lead the reader to more information about each president. Fascinating.
Harry Hemstreet
A really long book (752 pages) and only worthwhile to a dedicated history buff. At various times I considered giving it up, but overall it kept me interested. Problem is there were very few interesting/ exciting presidents. I have lived through 13 of the 44, so 30% of all presidents to date. Have voted in 10 presidential elections (just under 25%), and remember all but FDR.
Jess
This is a great book for history buffs, even for those who consider themselves very well educated on presidential knowledge. (Like myself) It follows Davis’ usual question and answer style format if you have read any of his books before. A great look back at the presidential administrations of the past and how they shaped our country’s past and future.
Prospero
Even at 750+ pages, each of the 44 US presidents doesn't get much more than a Wikipedia article's worth of ink...and that's to be expected. This is a mere survey, after all, but one told in the entertaining fashion that Davis honed in earlier titles in his "Don't Know Much" series. I enjoyed it greatly.
Jacqueline
A rather boring book with some interesting facts thrown in for flavor. I listened to this on audio book and it really suffered from the too many narrators syndrome. Half the time I wasn't sure who was talking when and the different voices would jolt me out of my enjoyment of the book.
Brinkley
I really like the way Davis organizes and presents his work. I have read his other books on U.S. History, the Civil War, world religions, and literature. I would like to see him tackle world history, specifically World War One and Two.
Amy Brawdy-Carlo

This is an entertaining book .....interesting facts as well as history lesson...fun read and very informative....not just about our presidents but about our government and our constitution.
Daven
Totally grabbed by this - learned so much, and found it all incredibly interesting. Davis has a knack; anyone with a bit of interest in American history should be soaking up everything he writes.
Stefan
Pretty good, out of 750 pages, only a couple of mistakes here and there, but overall this book is informative for anyone who wants to know about the Presidents, and the issues of the day they faced.
Barbara Lovejoy
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I learned so much about different presidents (and history!) that I didn't know. I would definitely consider reading it again.
Tyler Mathis
I thought it was a good summary of all the Presidents and the related history. I thought the author was very objective in his grading of the presidents.
Mark
Does a good job of covering all the presidents. Skip the post-Obama sections on audio. Good narrator.
Corey Davidson
This work contains at least three errors that a grade 8 history student would have caught. A good idea poorly executed.
Justin Allen
A splendid history lesson. Listened to it via local library Overdrive while doing daily yard work..
Grindy Stone
Little more than an arrangement of trivia and factoids for the O'Reilly set.
Elizabeth Devries
Good historical review of all of the presidents.
Jason Roland
As a history buff, thought this was great.
Anna
His stuff is always fantastic.
Easy to read one president at a time!
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Lorettab
Lorettab marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
  • Moonshine: A Cultural History of America's Infamous Liquor
  • 100 of the Worst Ideas in History: Humanity's Thundering Brainstorms Turned Blundering Brain Farts
  • Pedestrianism: When Watching People Walk Was America's Favorite Spectator Sport
  • Zoom: How Everything Moves: From Atoms and Galaxies to Blizzards and Bees
  • The Cave and the Light: Plato Versus Aristotle, and the Struggle for the Soul of Western Civilization
  • The Zodiac of Paris: How an Improbable Controversy Over an Ancient Egyptian Artifact Provoked a Modern Debate Between Religion and Science
  • The Backstory of Wallpaper: Paper-Hangings 1650-1750
  • Busted: A Tale of Corruption and Betrayal in the City of Brotherly Love
  • Empire of Sin: A Story of Sex, Jazz, Murder, and the Battle for Modern New Orleans
  • Listverse.com's Epic Book of Mind-Boggling Lists: Unbelievable Facts and Astounding Trivia on Movies, Music, Crime, Celebrities, History, and More
  • Inside Marine One: Flying the World's Most Amazing Helicopter
  • Supreme City: How Jazz Age Manhattan Gave Birth to Modern America
  • Tinkerlab: A Hands-On Guide for Little Inventors
  • The Science of Shakespeare: A New Look at the Playwright's Universe
  • James Madison: A Life Reconsidered
  • Inventing Hell: Dante, the Bible and Eternal Torment
  • Go Wild: Free Your Body and Mind from the Afflictions of Civilization
  • The Science Book (Big Ideas Simply Explained)
Kenneth C. Davis is the New York Times bestselling author of the Don't Know Much About® series of books and audios for adults and children. The first title in the series, Don't Know Much About® History became a New York Times bestseller in 1991 and remained on the paperback list for 35 consecutive weeks. It has since been revised several times and now has more than 1.6 million copies in print.

Dav...more
More about Kenneth C. Davis...
Don't Know Much about History: Everything You Need to Know about American History But Never Learned Don't Know Much About the Bible: Everything You Need to Know About the Good Book but Never Learned Don't Know Much About Mythology: Everything You Need to Know About the Greatest Stories in Human History but Never Learned America's Hidden History: Untold Tales of the First Pilgrims, Fighting Women, and Forgotten Founders Who Shaped a Nation Don't Know Much About the Civil War: Everything You Need to Know About America's Greatest Conflict but Never Learned