Start by marking “Showbiz, A Novel” as Want to Read:
Showbiz, A Novel

Showbiz, A Novel

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  24 reviews
"The Devil Wears Prada meets NBC’s Smash in Showbiz, A Novel by Ruby Preston!"

“Will have you dreaming of Broadway, even if you're miles and miles away!" - TheaterMania

After four years in Manhattan slaving away as the under-appreciated apprentice to the brilliant but ruthless “King of Broadway,” Scarlett Savoy is finally on her way to becoming a Broadway producer.

However, w
Published April 16th 2012 by Dress Circle Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Showbiz, A Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Showbiz, A Novel

Kathleen
"Come on along and listen to ... The lullaby of Broadway. The hip hooray and bally hoo ... The lullaby of Broadway." - Lullaby of Broadway from the hit Broadway Musical 42nd Street.

For the past four years, Scarlett Savoy has been the assistant producer for top Broadway producer Margolies, aka the "King of Broadway." She's been honing her skills and slaving away for a ruthless boss that will do anything to stay on top. Ready to spread her wings, Ruby gets her first shot at producing an off-Broadw
Margie
Broadway's glitterati - on stage and behind the scenes - are on full display in this engaging debut from Ruby Preston. Showbiz is a book that entertains as much as it educates about the dramatic and sophisticated world of Broadway musical production. A refreshing antidote to your spring fever, I would recommend Ruby's writing to anyone looking for an escape from the doldrums of their 9 to 5.
Samantha Janning
Ruby Preston is currently on tour with CLP Blog Tours and Showbiz. I can’t say I have ever been a real big Broadway fan. I have attended a Broadway show many years ago on a high school trip, but that is about my extent of it. But I was excited to read about a subject that I didn’t know much about, getting an insider’s behind the scenes look, and possibly learn a few new things. Well – this book was a hit for me! Preston really knocked it out of the park with drama, mystery and a cast of characte ...more
Emily
Scarlett Savoy had been the assistant of Margolies "King of Broadway" for the past four year. Getting through the day to day time, by telling herself that she is training herself and learning to be a producer herself. She is finally start to get somewhere with her own producing project. Unfortunately, it falls as the same time as Margolies biggest project ever is coming to a head.
The head theater critic at the main newspaper in town commits suicide and secrets he has been coving for years are th
Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)
Did I enjoy this book: I did enjoy this book. It was very enjoyable and had me on the edge of my seat wanting to know what happens next. I read Showbiz, A Novel every free chance I had.

I loved all of the characters...each were very well written and developed. I loved the action and the inside drama. There was nothing in this book that I would want to change.

I loved Scarlett Savoy. I really wanted her to succeed and make it on her own as a producer. Her friend, and go to guy for functions and wha
Tracie Banister
I am a huge fan of musical theater and have attended countless touring productions and Broadway shows over the last 15 years. Although I was well-versed on what was happening on stage (the actors, the music, the storylines), I never had a clue what was going on behind-the-scenes. Imagine my excitement when I heard about this new novel called "Showbiz" in which an up-and-coming Broadway producer tells all about the theater world with the help of some fictional stand-ins!

Scarlett Savoy is the very
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Check out the full review at Kritters Ramblings

After taking a trip to New York City in June for Book Expo America, it was quite fitting to read this book and see the behind the scenes look at the Broadway world. So often a book that takes you behind the scenes centers around the cast and crew, but this book takes you into the producer's offices and the reader comes to realize what must happen financially before a show can get in a theatre.
Katrina
I won this book on a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.

A fast paced read....great characters - with humor and drama, love and hate all wrapped in a fun little package!!! I would recommend for a fun, light summer read.
Meredith Schorr
4.5 Stars!

I really enjoyed this fast-paced behind the scenes look at Broadway. The descriptions of the shows and the details of all of the players were so detailed that I was not surprised to read that the author is a Broadway producer herself. I also wondered if "Scarlett" was based on "Ruby"...Being a New Yorker, it was fun to read about theater people hangouts like Sardi's where I have walked past but never actually been inside.

Scarlett was a likeable main character, a junior producer workin
Jenn (Booksessed)
When I first started this book, I thought it was a little slow (and a bit dull). Plus, I kept confusing the characters Margalese and Lawrence. (I don't know why). I actually almost gave up on it, but I'm glad I stuck it out. After about the first 50 pages the book got amazing!

Little known fact about me: I love drama and a good scandal. I can't help it. (I try to stay out of the fray, but I can't help myself from standing on the sidelines and watching the drama llama run amok. It's a sickness and
Mary Yearwood
So good. This novel needs a bit of copy editing, but I find the plot line very current, especially with regard to the white space issue for wireless mics, etc. This author seems to know her stuff with regard to The Great White Way, and that knowledge came through. I was quite impressed! This book was interesting, engaging, and entertaining enough to have been written by a seasoned author. I am definitely looking forward to more from her.

Next time, Ruby, please have a friend or English professor
Lauren Good
I ripped through this book, mostly wondering what was going to happen next -- much like the gossip column one of the characters would write I suppose. The author works in the musical theater industry, and as I read, I couldn't help but wonder if the novel was inspired by actual people/events a la "The Devil Wears Prada." It's a scary thought.

Overall, there are some weaknesses (like Reilly's original blackmail scheme), and there were times I wondered if the author was going to have to pull a deu
Emily
Not the best writing but a huge amount of fun.
Dani
I received this as a free Amazon kindle book and really enjoyed it. The subject matter was very interesting to me especially since I have a SMASH hangover and can not believe that it won't be coming back. I adore musical theater & Broadway and never really new all it took to get a show on to Broadway. Ruby Preston truly writes with an insiders knowledge and the book is definitely a page turner. I would recommend this to anyone interested in theater or just looking for an interesting book. Lo ...more
Ashley
SHOWBIZ is a great theater based book that gives the reader a behind the scenes look at Broadway that one would otherwise not know. The characters are fun to read and the book reads like play the way it smoothly changes from scene to scene (rather than chapter to chapter). The specific landmarks and detailed scenes throughout the book is give the reader a real sense of what it's like to be a New Yorker.I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a good summer read.
Alona Perlin
This book was very slow-moving in the beginning and was not engaging or interesting. Towards the end, it picked up a little bit and you thought you were going to get an exciting ending, but it was anti-climatic and quite a dissappointment. The plot-line wasn't original. There weren't any surprising twists and turns and it was hard to read through. Sorry, Ruby Preston!
Nenia Campbell
disclaimer: please read entire review first before going by the star-rating alone

i was psyched to win a galley-copy of this book from the goodreads giveaway. i'm a huge fan of the giveaways, as a whole, as i think it benefits both readers and writers alike. readers get free books, which exposes them to genres they might not ordinarily spend money on.

writers get free constructive criticism and/or praise, plus freelance editing that might help them hammer-out last-minute flaws.

new authors have it
Beth Mowry
There is something in Scarlett Savoy that makes my heart sing. This story kept be going scene to scene and is the perfect representation of what I inagine goes on behind those slanted stages of Broadway. Love this trilogy!
Maurice Wijnen
Reads like an episode of SMASH; also enjoyable and also not perfect. Nice insight into Broadway producing but not realistic enough.
Gossipy and in the E-Book version full of typo's
Leonel
A great beach/pool read especially if you are a theater fan.

Full review:

Lisa
Enjoyable summer read, especially if you are a Broadway fan. Free kindle book from Amazon.
Andrea
A good, light summer read with some interesting perspectives on Broadway.
Dayle
A fun read perfect for the plane or pool..
Sneh Pradhan
Yes, it is an undeniable page-turner .....
Laura marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Eal
Eal marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
  • Dead End Job
  • Plum Girl
  • Fifteen Minutes to Live
  • Key Lime Blues (Wes Darling Mystery, #1)
  • Brownie Points
  • Kat Fight
  • Seventy-Two Hours
  • The Pursuit of Lies (Paradise Valley Mystery, #4)
  • Raveled
  • Finding Favor
  • The Enchanted Orchards
  • Unmasking Maya
  • Getaway Girlz
  • For Internal Use Only
  • Steamed: (Maid in LA, #1)
  • Getting the Important Things Right
  • Breaking Even
  • The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard (Coco Pinchard, #1)
Ruby Preston is a young Broadway producer currently working on several new musicals on the Great White Way. She couldn't be more thrilled to be living her dreams in the Times Square trenches of Manhattan.
More about Ruby Preston...
Staged