Start by marking “And Now We Shall Do Manly Things: Discovering My Manhood Through the Great (and Not-So-Great) American Hunt” as Want to Read:

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Craig Heimbuch, urban dad, journalist, and editor-in-chief of manofthehouse.com offers readers a humorous exploration of hunting culture in And Now We Shall Do Manly Things. Outdoors enthusiasts, fans of A.J. Jacobs's The Know-It-All and the Bill Bryson classic, A Walk in the Woods will appreciate Heimbuch's aspirations to better understand the men in his family by immersi ...more
Published October 30th 2012 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about And Now We Shall Do Manly Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And Now We Shall Do Manly Things

Laura Zimmerman
Dec 01, 2012 Laura Zimmerman rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through a giveaway on Goodreads and although it took me a little while to get the book read, I am glad I read it.

My motivation for entering the giveaway was the hope of getting some insight into what it means to be a man in American culture. It seemed to be an odd choice to try to win but being ever-curious, I wanted to see what I might learn.

The author speaks of his desire to learn to hunt after realizing that he didn't feel he was the man he could be. His choice of hunting
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
Nov 25, 2012 Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
And Now We Shall Do Manly Things by Craig J. Heimbuch is a non-fiction book about the author’s adventures learning to hunt. The author chronicles his personal journey to while learning about the hunting culture in America.

The book is a hilarious perspective on the culture of American hunting which would make Bill Bryson proud. Born to a Midwestern family Heimbuch sets out to prove himself and hunt.

Sadly, the author is a part of a generation I am greatly familiar with, a generation which suffered
James Sorensen
Mar 14, 2014 James Sorensen rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Disclaimer: I won this book as part of the Goodreads first-read program.

Mr. Heimbuck's book is a look at how he becomes a man. This memoir presents the author's humorous journey from wimp-hood to manhood as he learns how the join the family tradition: becoming a hunter. And Heimbuck also does a great job shilling for L L Bean.

Mr. Heimbuch comes from a family of hunters, most of whom live in Iowa. After his Father calls him into his parents study, Dad gives him a shotgun. Now, equipped with a gu
Rob Slaven
Apr 07, 2013 Rob Slaven rated it liked it
This book came to me because my fiancee won it in a GoodReads giveaway. I was stuck one weekend with nothing of my own stack of review titles to read and so I dug my hooks into one of hers. Despite the fact that it was free, I will give my candid opinions below.

In this rather short and readable bit of macerated tree pieces our narrator feels like a wienie and therefore devotes himself for a year to learning to go into the woods and shoot animals. I'm sure that my readers will never doubt for a m
Chris Mort
Mar 09, 2013 Chris Mort rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I don't typically read this type of book, but it was very relevant to me. I grew up in Indiana and was surrounded by the hunter type. Most of my direct exposure to hunting/trapping was from my uncle Tony, who taught and exposed me to many other important things. I would never grow to embrace hunting, but I definitely know it has a place in our society/world. But this was more than just a hunting book.

This book really spoke to me regarding getting back to our roots. When
Kristin Poley
The story was entertaining, but also annoying. As a hunter, I know what it takes to go out and get an animal and I think that Heimbuch over analyzed and essentially worked too hard in order to hunt. I just think that 9 months preparation for one hunt is a bit extreme. And it made me really mad that he threw away his first cooked pheasant because he tried to cook something fancy and it didn't work out..what a waste! Also, he is really judgemental.
Terri Baldwin
Oct 29, 2012 Terri Baldwin rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a first reads from the author. As a woman mechanic who grew up with 5 brothers and raised 2 sons, I was a little bit curious to see just where I landed on the "manly" scale.

The book was hysterical. Craig Heimbuch is an excellent writer and has a wonderful sense of humor. I laughed until I cried at his imagined conversation between Ted Turner and Mark Zuckerberg, and having been to an NRA show, found myself nodding at his observations.

I grew up shooting, hunting and fish
Meghan
Nov 07, 2012 Meghan rated it liked it
And Now We Shall Do Manly Things by Craig J. Heimbuch is a funny, quirky, and often extremely touching memoir of one man’s attempt to “discover his manhood through the great (and not-so-great) American hunt.” Heimbuch, as both author and narrator, imbibes his story with hilarious childhood anecdotes and reflections on his youth in the Midwest. He excels at creating character in just a few sentences, and he makes every person—whether it is his dear old dad or the man selling coffee at the gas sta ...more
josh
Dec 01, 2012 josh rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Aspiring hunters
Recommended to josh by: Shelf @ UAPL
The segments of the book about being outdoors, hunting and wandering LLBean were interesting and a quality look at what it's like to try to break into the world of hunting.

Unfortunately, the author kept losing me when he'd start talking about his kids and wife and huge family. I couldn't relate to those sections at all and just kind of slogged through those to get to the good stuff. The gear. The equipment. The nights planning and reading and learning to hunt. Those were the parts that made the
Anna
Jan 06, 2015 Anna rated it did not like it
I'm pretty good at keeping interest in slower stories, but almost nothing happens in this book.
Vincent Andersen
Apr 10, 2016 Vincent Andersen rated it liked it
Enh.....readable, some amusing bits, but a bit redundant and nothing really happens.
Jeremy
Jan 13, 2015 Jeremy rated it liked it
Definitely funny made me laugh out loud multiple times. He can be a little dry at points and come off a little snobby, But overall a good read.
Beth Gordon
Feb 04, 2013 Beth Gordon rated it liked it
Based on the title on the cover of the book (not the one on Goodreads), I thought this book would be about a nerdy/geeky guy who got in touch with his manly side by engaging in activities like football, hunting, fishing, drinking beer, etc. In other words, I thought the list of activities would include more than just hunting. When it gets down to it, this book is about a guy trying to hunt a bird for 300 pages.

The author is a great writer, but my love of hunting just isn't there. For the last h
Toby
Nov 04, 2012 Toby rated it really liked it
Recommended to Toby by: Library Thing Early Reviewers
Shelves: adventure, easy, funny
Frankly, I haven't enjoyed a book this much in a while. First of all, this book is really funny! My wife says I don't often laugh out loud, but every time I sat down and read this book, it got a few laughs out of me. On top of that, Craig Heimbuch seems to be kind of in the same place in life as me. He did a great job going over what it means to be a husband, father, employee and a man, but keeping it fun. I very much enjoyed the book and have already passed it on to friends. Hopefully this does ...more
Caitlin
May 19, 2013 Caitlin rated it liked it
The men in Craig Heimbuch's family are hunters--except for Craig, who has shot guns at targets, but never a game animal. At 32, his dad gives him a gun. Married with three children, Craig feels a little trapped by life, the opportunities missed, and how his life defines him. He decides going on a hunt will help redefine himself.
Craig is more a writer than a hunter, making him relatable to someone who doesn't hunt. He shares his triumphs and failures with a wry humor, sharing what he learned abou
Brady Holmer
Just a fun loving adventure of the authors hunting quest. Picked this one up at a Half Price Books because of the cover alone.
More of a memoir of the authors triumphs and defeats (of which there are many) along his quest to revisit something that many men in his family have done for generations. Hunt.
This book has inspired me to, soon enough, go on my own hunting "journey" of a sort.
Jason
Mar 29, 2013 Jason rated it it was amazing
Great read & so proud to say I know the author. Very well done, Craig! You demonstrated such wit and willingness to share stories of family & learning to hunt.
Patricia
Oct 17, 2012 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Entertaining, witty, and a bittersweet adventure. One mans quest of stepping outside his comfort zone and daily routine to validate his manly manhood.
Will Maier
Dec 04, 2013 Will Maier rated it it was amazing
This book was published by a really good author and was a very good book also

Prakash Sharma
Prakash Sharma marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Joann TRAVIS
Joann TRAVIS marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Christopher L Phillips
Christopher L Phillips rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
ShanLandis
ShanLandis marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Flint
Flint rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2016
Carrie Niemi
Carrie Niemi marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Jan 15, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Clint L
Clint L rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
  • Escape to Gold Mountain: A Graphic History of the Chinese in North America
  • Born on a Mountaintop: On the Road with Davy Crockett and the Ghosts of the Wild Frontier
  • Law Man: My Story of Robbing Banks, Winning Supreme Court Cases, and Finding Redemption
  • Around the World in 80 Dinners: The Ultimate Culinary Adventure
  • Steak: One Man's Search for the World's Tastiest Piece of Beef
  • All We See or Seem
  • The Writer's GPS: A Guide to Writing & Selling Your Book
  • 9,000 Miles of Fatherhood
  • Anatomy of a Hustle:  Cable Comes to South Central
  • Mutiny: The True Events That Inspired The Hunt For Red October - From the Soviet Naval Hero Who Was There
  • A Privileged Witness: The Truth About Billionaire Edmond Safra's Death
  • Shame / Shame
  • The Sleepworker
  • Blackhorse Riders: A Desperate Last Stand, an Extraordinary Rescue Mission, and the Vietnam Battle America Forgot
  • Only One Thing Can Save Us: Why America Needs a New Kind of Labor Movement
  • Demon of the Waters: The True Story of the Mutiny on the Whaleship Globe
  • Susan Feniger's Street Food: Irresistibly Crispy, Creamy, Crunchy, Spicy, Sticky, Sweet Recipes
  • The Book of Styling: An Insider's Guide to Creating Your Own Look