A Voice Crying in the Wilderness

A Voice Crying in the Wilderness

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  386 ratings  ·  26 reviews
For the first time in softcover, Edward Abbey's last book, a collection of unforgettable barbs of wisdom from the best-selling author of The Monkey Wrench Gang.

Notes from a Secret Journal

Edward Abbey on:

Government-"Terrorism: deadly violence against humans and other living things, usually conducted by a government against its own people."

Sex-"How to Avoid Pleurisy: Never m
Published August 15th 1989 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about A Voice Crying in the Wilderness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Voice Crying in the Wilderness

The Republic by PlatoThus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich NietzscheCritique of Pure Reason by Immanuel KantMeditations by Marcus AureliusBeing and Time by Martin Heidegger
Best Philosophy Book
465th out of 559 books — 651 voters
The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le GuinAnarchism and Other Essays by Emma GoldmanChomsky On Anarchism by Noam ChomskyV for Vendetta by Alan MooreHomage to Catalonia by George Orwell
Anarchist books
187th out of 196 books — 148 voters

More lists with this book...

Josh
"Whatever we cannot easily understand we call God; this saves much wear and tear on the brain tissues."

"Belief in God? An afterlife? I believe in rock: this apodictic rock beneath my feet."

"From the point of view of a tapeworm, man was created by God to serve the appetite of the tapeworm."

"Proverbs save us the trouble of thinking. What we call folk wisdom is often no more than a kind of expedient stupidity."

"Appearance versus reality? Appearance is reality, God damn it!"

"Fantastic doctrines (lik...more
Anthony
Utah's greatest Park Ranger...we don't even know where he's buried, in that great, vast oasis of space. Great quotes...my favorite is, "Whenever I hear the word culture I reach for my checkbook." Don't mis-understand him...read at your own peril and glean a perceptive fella without pretensions...oddly he was a mixture of St. Andrew's, redneck proclivities and much needed common sense wisdom.
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
I've never read another book by Edward Abbey and I'm not in a big hurry to go find more to read, but I do enjoy his frank opinions and ideas :-) I found this at the library looking for something easy to read, light and amusing. I really liked some of Abbey's thoughts and others were blah to me. This volume was sent to the publisher just two weeks before the author died in 1989.

Below are some thoughts that stood out to me-

Chapter 1:Philosophy, Religion, and So Forth

"The more fantastic an ideology...more
jeremy
one of the most ingenious, discerning, singular american thinkers of the twentieth century. simply brilliant...

"i hate intellectual discussion. when i hear the words phenomenology or structuralism, i reach for my buck knife."

"belief in the supernatural reflects a failure of the imagination."

"better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion."

"there has got to be a god; the world could not have become so fucked up by chance alone."

"is there a god? who knows? is there an angry unicorn on the dark s...more
Mark
Aristotle said (or I've heard he said), "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Edward Abbey may not himself have been an environmental terrorist, but apparently his works are important to environmental terror groups. I'm a big fan of protecting the environment, conserving the natural beauty of the earth and generally not trying to screw over the planet that keeps us alive. But, I don't agree with the more extreme measures proposed by many to d...more
Marlène
Voici une petite collection d'aphorismes croustillants sur tout et tout le monde. Une montagne d'humour et de cynisme joliment emballés dans une forêt de provocation. Tout le monde en prend mais surtout l'auteur lui-même. Un véritable plaisir pour ponctuer des journées ennuyeuses et trop chargées de routine.
Une voix dans le désert qui appelle à visiter d'autres mots d'Edward Abbey.
Jailynn
another snag from Katie
I can see the beginnings of a great Love/Hate relationship starting here, I either really love and agree with what he is saying or I totally want to go cause him some pain and call him a jerk, maybe kick him in the shins and tell him to go take a hike....and then ask if I can come along with him.
B
This is the last Abbey I read. I think, maybe, the last he wrote. Can't remember. A compilation of shorts that are, each and every one, a treasure. I love the writer who can put it down clearly, and in short while still being at the top of his/her entertainment game.
Josh Stride
A self-consciously pretentious collection of snippets of wisdom from Edward Abbey some of which, he admits, "have appeared, in altered form, in previous books of mine, floating along in a flood of earnest prose. Others may be unconscious plagiarism of the great and dead."
Charles
All great stuff...a collection of quotes and bits of wisdom that's probably worthy of 5 stars, but that'd be like putting a "greatest hits" album on the list of "best albums of all time" or something like that. The original collection is always best.
Christine
Having had the honor to read Abbey's private journals, finding this book was an amazing experience of seeing his words, and his thoughts translated into pithy sayings. A little bit of bumpersticker mentality but well worth it for the truths it reveals.
KatieSuzanne
Little quotes from books, journals, and who knows where else because it doesn't really say. Some are funny and some are just plain good but not a lot that are crude. If you like Edward Abbey than you'll really like this little book.
Sandra
A book of interesting quotes. Some are good and some are not written from the author's perspective on life.

A good example is from page 13:
"I believe in nothing that I cannot touch, kiss, embrace...The rest is only hearsay."

jackalope Mack
Apr 19, 2007 jackalope Mack rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People with short attention spans
Shelves: edwardabbey
I don't know who has my copy of this book, but I wish they'd return it. Since I haven't seen it in over ten years, I ain't a-holdin' my breath. Selected sayings from my philosophical grandpa. God I miss him.
carolyn
not a story at all but a collection of Abbey quotes some sharp as knives and funny as hell some dull and flat. It's a mixed bag and certainly not what I was expecting. I prefer stories
Ben
This great little book is full of quotations (and nothing else) by Abbey. Organized loosely into topic, they are great for finding the perfect quote to end a rant.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I adore Ed Abbey, and this is nice because it's just pithy little quotes pulled from his books and organized by topic.
Kristin
A good book is a kind of paper club, serving to rouse the slumbrous and to silence the obtuse. (pg. 55)
Clifford Novey
A great and compact collection of quotes and notes and short stories by the man himself.
Lynn Miller
A collection of great stories. Vox Clamantis on Deserto!
Kent
Quotes drawn from Ed's journals and writing.
Amy
This is an amazing little piece of groupings
Chris
another great Abbey compilation.
Robin
A great set of thoughts and mantras.
Dan
Pithy witticisms, but I do love Abbey.
Bethany Gray
Best book of quotes I know. Love it.
Gary
Gary marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
  • Proposed Roads to Freedom: Socialism, Anarchism and Syndicalism
  • World as Lover, World as Self
  • What Every Person Should Know about War
  • The Haiku Anthology
Abbey attended college in New Mexico, and then worked as a park ranger and fire lookout for the National Park Service in the Southwest. It was during this time that he developed the relationship with the area's environment that influenced his writing. During his service, he was in close proximity to the ruins of ancient Native American cultures and saw the expansion and destruction of modern civil...more
More about Edward Abbey...
Desert Solitaire The Monkey Wrench Gang The Fool's Progress Hayduke Lives! The Journey Home: Some Words in Defense of the American West

“Music clouds the intellect but clarifies the heart.” 16 likes
“From the point of view of a tapeworm, man was created by God to serve the appetite of the tapeworm.” 13 likes