Start by marking “The Edge of Town (Jazz Age, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Edge of Town (Jazz Age, #1)

The Edge of Town (Jazz Age #1)

Julie Jones is a plainspoken girl working on her father's hardscrabble farm. She's not prepared for the Jazz Age roaring through America, sweeping a flapper named Birdie Stuart and war veteran Evan Johnson into her Missouri town.

As the summer heats up, life turns explosive. A wave of terrifying crimes threatens Evan's courtship of Julie, and Birdie's schemes begin to tear
Published May 1st 2002 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Edge of Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge of Town

Christel
Feb 15, 2008 Christel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: dorothy-garlock
I love this book. The synopsis here is the best one I can think of without giving away all the secrets. I bought this today at the library and read it this afternoon and evening. Could not put this book down. I cannot wait till I can read more of her books.
Allison (The Allure of Books)
This book really surprised me! I can't believe I haven't heard of it before. I read a recommendation for it on the Fantastic Fiction website by Sandra Brown and decided it looked pretty good. It deserves to be much more widely read.

It is a story of a family in 1920s Missouri. The mother passed away and left 20 year old Julie (well, I think she was 15 when her mom died, but 20 when the story takes place) to tend to everyone. Every single person in the family is lovable and adds to the story, thei
Shannon
Apr 01, 2009 Shannon rated it liked it
After my last "serious" read, i was ready for a moe-or-less light romance - and this book was it! Warm-hearted story of a farm family who lives outside of town and the romance that develops between the oldest daughter, Julie, and the returning from WWI, next-farm-over, young man, Evan. There's a mystery (about a pedophile, no less!) but in general this is nice, lite & fluffy.
Melissa
Jan 26, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
I picked this book up by accident thinking I was getting the works of a different author. Turns out it was a good accident. I really enjoyed this book.

Set in the early 1900's its essentially a romance novel. But Garlock adds plenty of excitement and intrigue to her book as well. As a warning though, she does not hesitate to put controversial subject matter in also.

The main character is Julie, the oldest sister of six other siblings, whose name also start with J and a father named Jethro. After t
Nolan
Jun 16, 2015 Nolan rated it it was ok
Looking for a read that gives you a glimpse into small-town Missouri in the years between World War I and the Great Depression? This might fill the bill for you.

Julie Jones is in her 20s, and she is very much in charge of the domestic affairs of her family—a circumstance that came into existence upon the death of her mother several years earlier. Evan Johnson is a veteran of World War I. He has moved back to the small community to ensure that his slovenly drunken father didn’t ruin the farm prom
Denise
While into the first chapter, I was thinking that I was not going to like this book at all. The main character, Julie Jones is a 20 year old girl living on a farm in 1920's Ms. with her father and 5 siblings. The fathers name is Jethro and the siblings are Jill, Joy, Jake, Joe and Jason. Silly right? I am happy to report, that I loved this story and am glad I went on rather than dismissing it.
These people were all very hard working, loving individuals who were all so well defined that I WAS a
Kim
Dec 01, 2016 Kim rated it really liked it
I picked this book up at a library book sale. It was a library copy that was stamped "discarded," which is a shame because it's too good to be a discard.

After her mother passes away, Julie Jones becomes the mother figure for her large family in rural 1920s Missouri. Her family is very reminiscent of The Waltons. Julie falls in love with a neighboring farmer, Evan Johnson, who struggles with his own demons in the form of his drunken father, Walter.

Obstacles are set up to keep Julie and Evan apar
Rita
Jun 15, 2013 Rita rated it really liked it
The Edge of Town was a very good book. It started out slow and i almost quit but I usually give a book 100 pages before stopping. By that time I was hooked. The Jones's are a large motherless family who live on a farm at the edge of town in the 1030's. They are not really liked by the townies, but they have each other and are a happy family. When a new woman,Birdie, moves into town the father, Jethro, becomes infatuated and this causes problems for all the children. She wants him, but not all th ...more
Tami Daniel
Feb 21, 2011 Tami Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 11-20
This is my favorite book of all time. It's a book for those who are looking for a simple love/mystery story. It is always popping out surprises that you don't suspect. I do warn that there is a lot of cuss words and imagery that may seem offensive to some readers. You have to read this book more than once, you won't regret it.

Julie Jones is a girl who at a young age had to give up school to take care of her family once her mother passes away. There are six siblings in the family, each with a uni
jimtown
Jul 22, 2016 jimtown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, series
Finally a five star book! I think it may be the first since I've started reviewing the books on the blog. The Edge of Town was a remarkably well crafted story that kept the mystery until the very last chapter. I was almost finished reading it and getting very tired toward the end. I set the book aside to prolong the reading pleasure for one more night. The characters were fun. Dorothy Garlock can speak for them in voices that ring so true. I'm looking forward to finding more of her books from th ...more
Agi
Sep 06, 2010 Agi rated it liked it
Shelves: english-books
A very simple story but interesting enough to read. A story about life on little town. A story with values of family. This story teach us not to underestimate to ourselves. In this book julie thinks that she doesn't mean anything to anyone. But she is totally wrong about her thought cause she does mean everything for her family and especially for evan. This story also teach us that everyone has a story in their own past. But it doesn't matter at all. Cause what the matter is now. I like this sto ...more
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2013 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
I had this book on my shelf for years...literally...years. This is a first edition hardcover and it was printed in 2001. I can't believe I kept it for so long without reading it, but we moved a couple years ago and I packed it up and unpacked it and let it sit some more.

Now I'm feeling really stupid for not having read any Dorothy Garlock books before this. Colour me embarrassed...

But I loved it! There's enough suspense to keep me turning the pages and enough romance to make me smile. I love the
Mandy
May 23, 2010 Mandy rated it liked it
I don't typically read this type of book but in my search for a good "Missouri" book I came across this one. I just love the time period, right before the depression, when families work together on the land from morning to night without complaining and spend time together for entertainment and truly enjoy each other. Yes, there were spats but overall I just loved the family dynamic. The story was predictable and lacks originality but I loved the family and hard work they put into each other and ...more
Mom
Aug 27, 2008 Mom rated it really liked it
This was a good story about a family that persevered in spite of great difficulty. I really admired Julie Jones, the main character who ends up spending her late teen and young adult years caring for her family after her mother dies. She has a big secret, which is revealed before the end of the story, and has a very satisfying ending. I liked the closeness of this family despite the flaws of some of the members of it.
Kasey
Dec 07, 2014 Kasey rated it liked it
This book was a spontaneous one for me. I picked it up and started reading. Things I liked the characters and the plot but the things I didn't like, the writing style and the content. There were a few times when reading this book that I thought, holy crap did I just read that?! and than other times when I was so emotionally moved that I had to voice my thought to family members. Really this book is up in the air for me but I don't think I'll be reading any more of this series.
Susan (susayq ~)
3.5 stars because for the first 100 or so pages I wanted to flounce. Thankfully, it picked up. I didn't feel this was so much a romance as it was a drama with a murder and rape case that needed to be solved and one of the suspects was the romantic lead. That being said, there were some crude horrible characters in here that we're at such complete opposites of the Jones family, it was kind of shocking.

Harper Haven
Nov 16, 2016 Harper Haven rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful glimpse into small town life in the 1920's. The story kept me turning the pages and it made me wish society today was interested in the simple pleasures and family values that were portrayed in the book. My only complaint was that I had a hard time at first keeping everyon's name straight.

A nostalgic look at the past. A sweet novel!
Colleen King-bergquist
Feb 22, 2014 Colleen King-bergquist rated it really liked it
I read this book at the suggestion of a librarian and I am so glad I did! The book starts a bit slow, but there is so much drama and excitement in this one book that I had a hard time putting it down. I got swept up into the story right from the start and was actually a bit sad when it ended because it was that good and I felt as if the characters were my neighbors I knew quite well.
Janet Meeks
Mar 10, 2013 Janet Meeks rated it it was amazing
Excellent written story! I love Dorothy Garlock's books. She tells the complete story of her characters, which few authors do. Goodread for anyone. I know I'll not be disappointed with the rest of this 'Jazz Age series' . Thanks Dorothy for a great book.
Chris
This isn't a time period that I've read often. This was a totally enjoyable book - mystery and suspense, a wonderful romance, a warm family with interesting characters. I look forward to the second in the series!
Kristen
Aug 14, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing
It started out a bit slow- I almost stopped reading it. I gave it a little more time and instantly got hooked. Loved the story and the relationships of the kids to their dad. She had me in suspense almost the whole time.
Jenna
Sep 18, 2016 Jenna rated it really liked it
Shelves: fluff-read
I did not know if this was going to be a book I would enjoy. In the end I really enjoyed it. It had a lot going on with the story, but I was able to keep up. I never saw the ending of the book coming. I am thinking of get the next book in the series soon. Note: Great summer/vacation read.
Judy
Jun 22, 2009 Judy added it
this book was good. I liked the story line. the one thing I didn't like was the sicko that prayed on girls. I geuss that was also part of the story. It made me think of when I was young & our family was close & looked out for eachother
Paula Pusapaz
Jul 04, 2016 Paula Pusapaz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genial!!! Solo había tenido la oportunidad de leer un libro sobre la vida en una granja y este se centraba principalmente en los animales. Nunca había leído algo parecido a este maravilloso libro, me encanto.
Joyce
Jan 31, 2011 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bought an autographed copy for our church silent auction
then thought I'd better read it. Changed my mind about
the silent auction, even though the cover had a church on it.
Story about a family in the 30's, mother died, 6 children.
Xondra Day
Oct 28, 2013 Xondra Day rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
This book had been sitting on my bookshelf for about 10 years. I finally decided to pick it up and give it a go, but sadly 100 pages in I didn't enjoy anything about it. This is a DNF for me and I doubt I will try it again later.
Carrie
Mar 12, 2010 Carrie rated it liked it
Finally decided to read a Dorothy Garlock after seeing her books at the store for so many years. I liked the characters and the setting which is the 1920s. May have to try some more of this Iowa author's titles.
Dani
This book combines a sweet romance with a subplot about a serial rapist. I've read that there is also a murder in the book, but I did not get that far because having romance and rape in the same book was jarring for me.
K.a.
Sep 07, 2012 K.a. rated it liked it
I have read 1 other version of this - which was AWFUL - this one is better. Though still trying to cross genres to suspense (ick), not as mindlessly violent as so many of those.
Shelley
Aug 26, 2008 Shelley rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I think perhaps I was born in the wrong time. This book has laughter, tears, terror, and triumph. And such a sweet wonderful feeling of belonging and overcoming stigmas.
  • Red Bird's Song
  • Restless Heart (Heart, #2)
  • Prairie Embrace
  • I Do, I Do, I Do
  • The Texan's Dream (McLain, #5)
  • Apache Caress
  • The Marquis (Gypsy Legacy, #1)
  • Mustang Wild (Wild, #1)
  • Silver Feather
  • Nobody's Angel
  • A Rogue in Texas (Rogues in Texas, #1)
  • The Pict
  • An Independent Woman (Women and Men, #1)
  • The Women of Primrose Creek (Women of Primrose Creek, #1-4)
  • The Last Rogue (Regency Quartet, #4)
  • Beloved Savage
  • Open Country (Blood Rose, #2)
  • The Hostage (Great Chicago Fire Trilogy #1)
Dorothy Garlock is from Texas, but lived for a long time with her family in Iowa. Her romance novels have been translated into over 20 languages.

The mother of two and grandmother of three started her book-writing career in 1976 after working for 14 years as bookkeeper/columnist for the local newspaper. She had received 21 awards from various magazines and writer's groups. She was selected as Outst
More about Dorothy Garlock...

Jazz Age (4 books)
  • High on a Hill (Jazz Age, #2)
  • A Place Called Rainwater (Jazz Age, #3)
  • River Rising (Jazz Age, #4)