Start by marking “The Dark Hour (Sydney Fitzpatrick #3)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Hour (Sydney Fitzpatrick #3)

The Dark Hour (Sydney Fitzpatrick #3)

A high-profile killing has brought FBI Special Agent and forensic artist Sydney Fitzpatrick to Amsterdam—even as the assassination of a prominent U.S. senator rocks the political world. Two seemingly unrelated murders are leading Sydney to the threshold of a shocking conspiracy to spread a plague of death across the globe, especially when her sketch of a killer—and ...more
Published November 27th 2012 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Hour

Kathleen
Nov 05, 2012 Kathleen rated it really liked it
The action never stops in this thriller by Robin Burcell, as CIA agent Zach Griffin escapes across the rooftops of Amsterdam's red light district, and special FBI agent Sydney Fitzpatrick narrowly escapes death when a vital witness is murdered. But with her skill as a forensic artist, Fitzpatrick has created a sketch that proves to be more important than she realized, when the woman in the sketch proves to be someone who supposedly died two years previously, and the wife of Zach Griffin.
Then a
Kari Anderson
Nov 26, 2012 Kari Anderson rated it it was amazing

A high-profile killing has brought FBI Special Agent and forensic artist Sydney Fitzpatrick to Amsterdam-even as the assassination of a prominent U.S. senator rocks the political world. Two seemingly unrelated murders are leading Sydney to the threshold of a shocking conspiracy to spread a plague of death across the globe, especially when her sketch of a killer-and possible conspirator-reveals the face of a female CIA agent believed to be dead.

The murder of a witness and the disappearance of th
Gloria Feit
Apr 19, 2013 Gloria Feit rated it really liked it

Initially, in this book by Robin Burcell, it seems that the worst-case scenario in the storyline will be treachery of the marital and political kind. But that’s only the tip of a much more sinister iceberg, and the tale that unfolds touches on such divers themes as a world-wide terror conspiracy, bioweapons, automated submarine drones, a Vatican spy, and even the lost kingdom of Atlantis. Also initially, this reader needed a healthy suspension of disbelief, a reaction I often have to thrillers,
Diane
Jan 27, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it
Espionage galore, double agents, bioweapons - the real scary stuff with a ring of truth. It's spy versus spy - not the MAD Magazine type - worse!

This is a pretty good book, but I can't help think that the main characters are "experienced" FBI agents and CIA and still they seem unprepared for what lies ahead and get themselves in predictaments that they should have foreseen and readied themselves for. I mean, seriously, their enemies seem to be prepared for every scenario!

Good research done overa
Julie
Mar 20, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing
Another wild ride while agents try to stop the conglomorate Black Network from causing major harm to mankind. Lots of twists and turns and near-death experiences based on what could be true incidences that could happen! Another great installment of this series. Can't wait to read the next one! If you like James Rollins or Michael Crichton, you will like this one...
Jessi Miller
Jan 29, 2013 Jessi Miller is currently reading it
I won a copy of The Dark Hour (Paperback)
by Robin Burcell in a giveaway for free on Goodreads First Reads- I have received my copy and can not wait to read and review this book. .Thank You!! :)
Emily
Oct 08, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
One of my advance copies from Bouchercon. An excellent fast paced read.
ah li
Nov 15, 2016 ah li rated it it was amazing
Phyllis Needham
Oct 14, 2016 Phyllis Needham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic reading

This book surprise me I wasn't sure what I expected but I really enjoyed this book. I can't wait to read the other books in this series.
Christine
Feb 12, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Sit back and get ready to enjoy an action-packed trip around the world as Sydney Fitzpatrick gets involved in another top secret and very dangerous investigation. “The Dark Hour” is the third in Robin Burcell’s series featuring Sydney Fitzpatrick, who is both an FBI Special Agent and a forensic artist. The prior book in this series, “The Bone Chamber” is a combination of an FBI thriller and a suspense novel in the same style as “The Da Vinci Code”. “The Dark Hour” is more of a true FBI suspense ...more
Starr Gardinier
The action never stops in this thriller by Robin Burcell. CIA agent Zach Griffin escapes across the rooftops of Amsterdam’s red light district, and special FBI agent Sydney Fitzpatrick narrowly escapes death when a vital witness is murdered. But with her skill as a forensic artist, Fitzpatrick has created a sketch that proves to be more important than she realized when the woman in the sketch proves to be someone who supposedly died two years previously, and the wife of Zach Griffin.

Then a U.S.
Karen
Apr 01, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
FBI Special Agent and forensic artist Sydney Fitzpatrick has been brought to Amsterdam to make a sketch of the person who was seen in the area of an informant's murder. Unfortunately, the witness did not see the assassin clearly, but did see someone else who was with him. When the witness is killed, and Sydney escapes out a window, the race is on to identify the sketch she has made and get Sydney out of harms way.

This is a very fast paced tale, including the same international intrigue as in Th
Bill Mackela
Jan 03, 2013 Bill Mackela rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read-books
This is the third book featuring FBI Special Agent Sydney Fitzpatrick. There is plenty of fast paced action, some unexpected plot twists, with just a little touch of romantic thoughts thrown in for spice. The story stands well on its own, but you would understand some of the ideas a little better if you had read the first two books first. If you have a kindle, all three books are under $5.00 each at Amazon, so you might want to read them in order.
I enjoyed the story. Sometimes it seemed a little
Rich
Sep 21, 2013 Rich rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
The Dark Hour is a fast-paced, action-packed thriller that never takes it's foot off the pedal.

While there may not be anything ground breaking in the author's writing, Robin Burcell is able to pull many characters, storylines, and agendas into a well thought out thriller that is a very pleasurable read.

Every alphabet soup government agency is involved the story and the characters are fairly shallow as one might expect in this type of book. That said, I did enjoy some of them quite a lot for a
Larry Johnson
Mar 19, 2013 Larry Johnson rated it it was amazing
I don't know why I hadn't heard of this author before recently, but now that I've read this novel I have to go back and read her previous novels. The action is fast and its easy to relate with the characters. Being an amateur artist, I also found it interesting that the main character is a forensic artist. This is the third book with the forensic artist, Sydney Fitzpatrick, as the main character. If you prefer to read the novels in order the first 2 novels are, The Bone Chamber and Face of a ...more
Henri Moreaux
Having read the first two books in the Sydney Fitzpatrick series I naturally continued with the third - initially I was a little disappointed with this one, it seemed to be a bit too "fictiony" whereas I usually like more realism to my novels. It did however redeem itself in the latter half to the point you're able to overlook the bizarre circumstances and enjoy the action and adventure.

Seemed like it was trying a bit too hard to be a spy novel and over reached.

Overall, an enjoyable time-filler.
Krista Joy
Aug 04, 2013 Krista Joy rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the book and want to read more by the author. If you love action, adventure and a bit of mystery you'll enjoy. My main reason for not giving it a higher rating was because I hadn't read the first books in the series and I was a little confused at times to references to past events. Also, there were quite a few characters introduced and it took me some time to sort out who was who. In fact I don't think I ever quite figured out some of them!
Kim Moyer
Apr 30, 2014 Kim Moyer rated it really liked it
This book is definitely a thriller. I was constantly telling myself, "Just one more chapter" to try to piece together everything that was going to happen next. I also enjoy books were multiple seemingly unrelated storylines all come together in the end to form a bigger picture.

I'll definitely have to read the other books in the Sydney Fitzpatrick series (this is the first one I've read even though it is the 3rd book in the group). This was an enjoyable read.
Lynn Lerch
Jun 05, 2013 Lynn Lerch rated it it was amazing
Robin Burcell is still writing wonderful, interesting, and suspenseful mysteries. This has the San Francisco FBI artist being sent to Washington DC and then on to Amsterdam and France. At the same time there is something going on in the Carribean area. A scub diving group are shot, a freighter has dead people on boad and the mystery grows. The two incidents are related to a Senator being killed in Washington DC. Robin ties all the events up nicely and until the end one is kept in suspense.
Melanie
Jan 22, 2013 Melanie rated it liked it
Interesting thriller - FBI, CIA, political thriller. There is a lot going on here, and it is fast-paced and interesting. You follow the main characters back and forth across the Atlantic as you try to match up what is going on in Europe with the conspiracies in Washington, DC. To me it reads a lot like a movie - would probably make a pretty interesting movie, actually.
Patricia Mccammon
Dec 25, 2012 Patricia Mccammon rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Patricia by: goodreads.com
The book keeps your attention all the time. It keeps us guessing who is actually the guilty ones. It also never ventures out of the relm of plausible actions, no outrageous fights, car chases, etc. In Dark Hour, Robin Burcell did an excellent job on writing a book that keep me reading until I finished it.
Jerry Hooten
Jul 21, 2015 Jerry Hooten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Non stop action...Again!

As unbelievable as this story should be, it is believable. Well written. Sydney Fitzpatrick is becoming one of my favorite characters. Robin Burcell is also becoming a favorite!
Kay
Dec 27, 2012 Kay rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
I'm sure my rating is below what this book deserved. Between Christmas, family visiting, snow, power outage, and my cat throwing up in almost every room, I was distracted. It took me way too long to read it but that is not the fault of the author.
Cya
Feb 14, 2013 Cya rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers, Conspiracy Theorist
A Solid thriller about government, covert operations/teams, and conspiracies The Dark Hour is a fun and easy read for any mystery fan (especially if you like James Rollins Sigma Force or Douglas Preston novels).
Neeka
Feb 18, 2013 Neeka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robin-burcell
Burned spies, traitors, murder, bio-weapons.... this book has it all. It keeps you pulled in and wanting more - just one more page, one more chapter. I couldn't stop reading this book. I loved it - super fast action, twists, and more. This was a wonderful fast read and I enjoyed it fully.
Laura Brown
Dec 24, 2015 Laura Brown rated it liked it
It took about half of the book for me to really get into it and figure out who was who and what their relationships were. Government alphabet soup agencies were hard to keep up with! Maybe it's because I didn't read the prior 2. Liked it once I got it all straight.
Brian Welsch
Feb 10, 2016 Brian Welsch rated it really liked it
Very good thriller. Fast pace, good action without being ridiculously over-the-top. I also thought the characters were believable and fleshed out enough to keep interest up without bogging down the action. I plan on getting another Burcell book at some point.
Linda  Branham Greenwell
I don;t have a shelf for government espionage books - but that is what this book is. The type of book is not my favorite, but this was a good read considering I don;t like this type of book. It is about secret government agencies and a conspiracy plot that is worlwide
Robin Burchill
Feb 14, 2013 Robin Burchill rated it liked it
my parents got me this book for Christmas only because the authors name is so similar to mine. It was surprisingly entertaining! A very enjoyable spy/thriller type novel. I could totally see it as a movie.
Mark Gunnell
Decent. There were too many government agencies involved, it was a little hard keeping track of everything. Also a little too much dialogue. I was hoping for a little more action.
  • Immortal (Ethan Warner #2)
  • The Weakest Link
  • A Captive Heart (Capture, #1)
  • Death Flu
  • Stranger in the White House
  • Here Lies Death
  • Escape from Dead City
  • Adderwald
  • Close to the Bone (Theresa MacLean, #7)
  • Tote Bags and Toe Tags (Haley Randolph Series, #5)
  • Virion
  • Murder Suicide (Frank Clevenger, #5)
  • The Doomsday Survival Handbook: A Bucket List for Every Conceivable Apocalypse
  • Fear Itself
  • The Secrets of Aunt Norah's House
  • Jackie and the Magic Dandelion
  • Behind Closed Doors - DI Beatrice Stubbs #1
  • Fellowship of Fear (Gideon Oliver, #1)

Sydney Fitzpatrick (5 books)
  • Face of a Killer (Sydney Fitzpatrick #1)
  • The Bone Chamber (Sydney Fitzpatrick #2)
  • The Black List (Sydney Fitzpatrick, #4)
  • The Kill Order  (Sydney Fitzpatrick #5)