Start by marking “The Searching Hearts” as Want to Read:
The Searching Hearts
Preview

The Searching Hearts

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Penniless, nineteen-year-old Tucker Houston was fiercely independent, determined to find a better life for herself and her blind fellow orphan in the rich new lands of the West. She brazenly told a few fibs to land a job as a schoolteacher and soon found herself in a wagon train of mail-order brides bound for California.

Leading them all was wagon master Lucas Steele, black
Published October 1st 1997 by Warner (first published April 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Searching Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Searching Hearts

Heather Manning
I enjoyed it. the plot was somewhat predictable but the characters were believable and somewhat comforting in their normality. Garlock has the ability to speak through words like the best verbal story teller. Her combination of description, emotions and action has always flowed like poetry to me.
Rebeca Martinez
A great story that portrayed an accurate tale about pioneering across America. My main issue with the this particular story was that there was so much build up but the ending was very anticlimactic. I literally spent the whole day reading this book, unable to put it down because I wanted to know what was going to transpire between Tucker and Frank. I was really disappointed in the ending which is a first for me while reading a Dorothy Garlock book.
Dawn Warnock-thompson
Excellent story of the pioneers heading west with the all the trails and tribulations of doing so. I have read other books written by Garlock and could definitely tell this was one of her first books written. Her books get better and better as her writing matures.
It is a lovely historical western romance I really enjoyed reading.
Debbie
"The Searching Hearts" was an interesting premise, but the delivery.was rather weak. The plot was predictable and I didn't like the characters very much. The writing was quite weak. I wasn't impressed enough to want to read more by this author.
Rose-Bertine
This has always been my favorite romance book (that and Thunder & Roses). If you enjoy historical timeframe romance, i recommend this book and any other books she written, including Mary Jo Putney (author of Thunder &Roses).
Paula
May 08, 2012 Paula added it
Very Good !!!!
Leslie Bowes
Leslie Bowes marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Henry
Henry marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Brenda
Brenda added it
Mar 09, 2015
Lorrie Morris-Billy
Lorrie Morris-Billy marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Janene
Janene marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Alicia
Alicia added it
Jan 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Barefoot Bride
  • Come Spring (Storm Family, #3)
  • The Surgeon (Canadian Mounties, #2)
  • The Bridal Veil
  • The Endearment
  • No Marriage of Convenience
  • Chasing Clovers
  • Crooked Hearts
  • A Taste Of Fire
  • Eye of the Beholder (Nebraska Historicals, #4)
  • Apache Magic (Coltons, #1)
  • The Lone Texan (Whispering Mountain, #4)
  • The Mermaid
  • The Duke's Indiscretion (Duke Trilogy, #3)
  • Foxfire Bride
  • A Christmas Scandal (Christmas, #2)
  • Rose (Seven Brides, #1)
  • Almost Perfect
Dorothy Garlock is from Texas, but lived for a long time with her family in Iowa. Her romance novels have been translated into over 20 languages.

The mother of two and grandmother of three started her book-writing career in 1976 after working for 14 years as bookkeeper/columnist for the local newspaper. She had received 21 awards from various magazines and writer's groups. She was selected as Outst
More about Dorothy Garlock...
The Edge of Town (Jazz Age, #1) Mother Road (Route 66, #1) A Week From Sunday A Place Called Rainwater (Jazz Age, #3) Song of the Road (Route 66, #3)