Start by marking “The MELT Method: A Breakthrough Self-Treatment System to Eliminate Chronic Pain, Erase the Signs of Aging, and Feel Fantastic in Just 10 Minutes a Day!” as Want to Read:

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  279 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Release stuck stress with MELT

Over a decade ago, Sue Hitzmann was at the height of her career as an international fitness presenter and instructor. She appeared to be in perfect health, yet she was experiencing debilitating pain in her foot. With a master's degree in exercise science and advanced training in neuromuscular therapy, she thought it would be easy to find out w
Published January 22nd 2013 by HarperOne (first published September 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The MELT Method, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The MELT Method

Jen
I found the presentation/writing style off-putting, initially. It seemed that the first several chapters were just a lot of words and paragraphs that didn't tell/teach me anything. Being a group fitness instructor and personal trainer for the past 20 years, I'm quite accustomed to reading and comprehending anatomy, physiology and medical jargon. While the theories and information made sense to me and were consistent with thingss I'd learned at the feet of a few bodyworkers I had the privilege to ...more
Gail
Interesting method. I give the method itself 5 stars.

Unfortunately, Sue HItzmann cannot write. The book is a hot mess. It's repetitive (play a drinking game for every mention of "hydrated", die of alcohol poisoning midway through) and convoluted (how many times are we shown the same damn pictures of the foot treatment or hand treatment?).

Shallow thinking rears its ugly head early on when we read on p. 25 "In the year 2000, an Internet search using the keyword fascia yielded only 1,500 results. T
Carolyn
Last year I spent many months with a therapeutic masseuse who released the effects of years of broken bones, sprains, an old whiplash and concussion injuries through what I now know was myofascial release. I have been relieved of so many aches and pains that I didn't even know I had because they had always been in my body.

This book and the exercises have allowed me to more fully understand what happened to me and how I can continue to feel relief without an expensive appointment every week. Now
Hande
took a long long time to reach the section on what to actually do.
MichelleCH
I think this book might be useful for those with more patience than me. I saw the author on a health show - can't remember which, and she was so interesting and informative that I immediately requested her book from my local library. She did these facial exercises that were really impressive. Unfortunately for me, her engaging manner didn't translate well to paper. I didn't realize that there's special equipment required and that I would find much too much information on the human anatomy. The e ...more
Joni
A book that describes how to use balls and other simple techniques to overcome pain and fatigue. I like the book but feel the author spends alot of time talking about the MELT method rather than how it is a tool in a broader way of regaining heatl and strength.
David
A freind mentioned this book so after forgetting and remembering a few times, often not recalling the acronym, I got it from the library then found my yoga studio was offering a class in MELT. Reading the book was interesting as it shows the authors awakening to an important part of the human body's systems that has been largely ignored, and something I have been working with in yoga classes for several years. This put a punch in my own development with some specific practices that so far have h ...more
LMR
Poorly written. Too much focus put on arguing why "the melt method" is important and the author's struggle to impress its importance.
Lacking and redundant.
Kdruns
This book provides useful lessons in effective self-massage for those who will take the initiative. I use the foot-rolling technique all the time - it makes a world of difference for my bunions, esp after wearing heels! The leg massage technique is also highly effective for me. I gave the book four stars because I found the author's description of her discovery process too lengthy and distracting from the power of her product.
Veronica
Although the information could be highly useful, it reads more like an advertisement for her personal program. You can (sometimes) find the rollers, etc, elsewhere for cheaper, but for the most part, the expense is such that I'd not likely benefit from this anymore than just going to a yoga class at the local rec with a decent teacher.
Renee
This book was interesting and enlightening. The book showed good visual instructions and addressed many health issues. Hopefully when I actually start to do these stretches/exercises I will more pain-free and stress free!
Tiffany
Added this to my daily habits, just wish the maps and instruction were easier to reference. I added my own tabs to each section of the book.
Shani
"What I have found is that by pausing and becoming self-aware about the current state of the Autopilot, you can change how the body communicates with the mind." If you are looking for self-treatment technique that is in your own hands, MELT is for you. Reduce stress with the Four R’s: Reconnect, Rebalance, Rehydrate, and Release. This book highlights some of the science behind the method--helping you to understand connective tissue. Since I have started MELTing, I am more relaxed, I sleep better ...more
Hmmmm...well to be honest I did not read this start to finish. There was a lot of skimming, because it was scientific and self helpy and I just finished my first semester of school in 15 years and I was sort of over the whole reading to better oneself. That being said, I did skim it and she isn't a bad writer and her theories are interesting. I love anything where pain can be treated without medicine or surgery. I tried a lot of the exercises and I think they could be helpful. I would probably n ...more
Elizabeth
checked out from Washington Co. Cooperative Library Services, 11/13 list.

from the library, there is a lot of pressure on this book

Table of Contents

Foreword v
Introduction 1 (8)

Part One

1 What Really Causes Pain?
9 (14)

127 (18)

Part Three

10 Getting
C.René
Skimmed a lot of this because Sue Hitzmann is very detailed (and repetitive) in her explanation of the science behind The Melt Method. It sounds wonderful and I've read numerous testimonials on Amazon on how well the method works in alleviating pain. I'm definitely trying it and wish there was a companion DVD to the book.
Jenny Luebbe
I found it fascinating to read about how connective tissue can impact your physical functioning. That said, in order to do the exercises needed you need to learn a lot and purchase a few things before you can do 10 minutes a day. I think this would be a good complement to a class or set of videos but personally too much effort for me to follow exercise from book alone.
Cindy Alexander
Don't get this in e book form. You need to be able to flip straight to certain sections when she refers to them.
I've now purchased the hard copy. Let's see how much easier it will be to read. Getting my post its ready to mark the most relevant sections for me.
Alice
Meh. A tough read. There is potential here, but the writing is dull and repetitive, and the cost of the "necessary" accessories is breathtaking. The $120 price tag for a foam roller, four racquet balls, and four super balls suggests that this is more about enriching the author's standard of living than it is about enriching the reader's quality of life.
Natalie
The method itself is excellent. The book was long and wordy. She really needs to do a DVD!
Maureen
This looks like a good book to follow whenever I buy one of those foam rolls.
Mikey Sklar
This could be titled a detailed manual for using your foam roller.
Louise Reid
fascinating content about the connection between the nervous system and the connective tissue system of the body, and the role of dehydration in pain. am starting to practice the techniques and hope to rid myself of current chronic injuries, and prevent future aches and pains! I really admire the author for her incredible leap in thought - from how to fix others' pain, to, how can others fix their own pain.... very cool!
Suzanne
Tough time getting thru the book.
Dawn
I liked how the information was presented. I got frustrated more than halfway through the book. At that point we get to the actual exercises and how to purchase the special equipment. She does have how to start with some improvisation but it wasn't enough. I feel cheated, if I knew a whole program was involved I wouldn't have checked out the book from the library.
Meagan
I don't feel like I can rate this book (but I will go with 4 for now) until I practice Melting for a little bit to see if it actually works. I haven't noticed a drastic difference in the week I have been doing it but the concept behind The Melt Method is rather intriguing. I am hoping this will help soften the blows that gymnastics and aging have done to my body.
Janis
The author goes on far too long about what SHE did and how great it was for others blah blah blah.

I like the idea behind this, but just couldn't get far with it. Think i'll have to pick and choose parts to read--and skip her long-winded stuff.
Karen
Very interesting claims and sounds too good to be true BUT I'm going to try her methods. Text gets pretty detail and medical at points. Will take some time to teach myself the methods but sounds like healthy way to self massage and relax.
Lynne N
Only had 1 week to read this from the library, but the MELT method seems to have some potential to get at some of those aches and pains that are persistent. Ordered up the roller and the balls and we'll be giving it a try soon!
Missy
Feb 04, 2015 Missy added it
Such an interesting book. I am a big believer that stretching cures lots of pain. This took it to another level. It's amazing how much better i feel with some melt stretching.
  • Potatoes Not Prozac
  • Clean Gut: The Breakthrough Plan for Eliminating the Root Cause of Disease and Revolutionizing Your Health
  • Gluten Freedom: The Nation's Leading Expert Offers the Essential Guide to a Healthy, Gluten-Free Lifestyle
  • Candy: A Century of Panic and Pleasure
  • I Can Make You Sleep: Overcome Insomnia Forever and Get the Best Rest of Your Life!
  • Eat, Drink, and Be Gorgeous: A Nutritionist's Guide to Living Well While Living It Up
  • The Hunger Fix: The Three-Stage Detox and Recovery Plan for Overeating and Food Addiction
  • What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause: Balance Your Hormones and Your Life from Thirty to Fifty
  • The Way of the Happy Woman: Living the Best Year of Your Life
  • WomanCode: Perfect Your Cycle, Amplify Your Fertility, Supercharge Your Sex Drive, and Become a Power Source
  • I'm 35, My Eggs Are Rotting ... How's Your Sperm?
  • Ick! Yuck! Eew!: Our Gross American History
  • The Honey Trail: In Pursuit of Liquid Gold and Vanishing Bees
  • Thrive Energy Cookbook: 150 Plant-Based Whole Food Recipes
  • The Schwarzbein Principle: The Truth About Losing Weight, Being Healthy and Feeling Younger
  • The Better Brain Book
  • Neris and Indias Idiot Proof Diet: From Pig To Twig
  • I Want What She's Having, Now!: Exactly How You Can Be So Hot & Healthy You'll Barely Recognize Yourself
The MELT Method (Enhanced Edition): A Breakthrough Self-Treatment System to Eliminate Chronic Pain, Erase the Signs of Aging, and Feel Fantastic in Just 10 Minutes a Day! Die MELT-Methode: Massieren Sie Ihre Faszien. Gegen chronische Schmerzen und für mehr Beweglichkeit El Metodo Melt