Start by marking “The MELT Method: A Breakthrough Self-Treatment System to Eliminate Chronic Pain, Erase the Signs of Aging, and Feel Fantastic in Just 10 Minutes a Day!” as Want to Read:

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  351 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Release stuck stress with MELT

Over a decade ago, Sue Hitzmann was at the height of her career as an international fitness presenter and instructor. She appeared to be in perfect health, yet she was experiencing debilitating pain in her foot. With a master's degree in exercise science and advanced training in neuromuscular therapy, she thought it would be easy to find out w
Published January 22nd 2013 by HarperOne (first published September 4th 2012)

Interesting method. I give the method itself 5 stars.

Unfortunately, Sue HItzmann cannot write. The book is a hot mess. It's repetitive (play a drinking game for every mention of "hydrated", die of alcohol poisoning midway through) and convoluted (how many times are we shown the same damn pictures of the foot treatment or hand treatment?).

Shallow thinking rears its ugly head early on when we read on p. 25 "In the year 2000, an Internet search using the keyword fascia yielded only 1,500 results. T
I found the presentation/writing style off-putting, initially. It seemed that the first several chapters were just a lot of words and paragraphs that didn't tell/teach me anything. Being a group fitness instructor and personal trainer for the past 20 years, I'm quite accustomed to reading and comprehending anatomy, physiology and medical jargon. While the theories and information made sense to me and were consistent with thingss I'd learned at the feet of a few bodyworkers I had the privilege to ...more
Last year I spent many months with a therapeutic masseuse who released the effects of years of broken bones, sprains, an old whiplash and concussion injuries through what I now know was myofascial release. I have been relieved of so many aches and pains that I didn't even know I had because they had always been in my body.

This book and the exercises have allowed me to more fully understand what happened to me and how I can continue to feel relief without an expensive appointment every week. Now
took a long long time to reach the section on what to actually do.
I think this book might be useful for those with more patience than me. I saw the author on a health show - can't remember which, and she was so interesting and informative that I immediately requested her book from my local library. She did these facial exercises that were really impressive. Unfortunately for me, her engaging manner didn't translate well to paper. I didn't realize that there's special equipment required and that I would find much too much information on the human anatomy. The e ...more
A book that describes how to use balls and other simple techniques to overcome pain and fatigue. I like the book but feel the author spends alot of time talking about the MELT method rather than how it is a tool in a broader way of regaining heatl and strength.
A freind mentioned this book so after forgetting and remembering a few times, often not recalling the acronym, I got it from the library then found my yoga studio was offering a class in MELT. Reading the book was interesting as it shows the authors awakening to an important part of the human body's systems that has been largely ignored, and something I have been working with in yoga classes for several years. This put a punch in my own development with some specific practices that so far have h ...more
Poorly written. Too much focus put on arguing why "the melt method" is important and the author's struggle to impress its importance.
Lacking and redundant.
This book provides useful lessons in effective self-massage for those who will take the initiative. I use the foot-rolling technique all the time - it makes a world of difference for my bunions, esp after wearing heels! The leg massage technique is also highly effective for me. I gave the book four stars because I found the author's description of her discovery process too lengthy and distracting from the power of her product.
Although the information could be highly useful, it reads more like an advertisement for her personal program. You can (sometimes) find the rollers, etc, elsewhere for cheaper, but for the most part, the expense is such that I'd not likely benefit from this anymore than just going to a yoga class at the local rec with a decent teacher.
This book was interesting and enlightening. The book showed good visual instructions and addressed many health issues. Hopefully when I actually start to do these stretches/exercises I will more pain-free and stress free!
Added this to my daily habits, just wish the maps and instruction were easier to reference. I added my own tabs to each section of the book.
"What I have found is that by pausing and becoming self-aware about the current state of the Autopilot, you can change how the body communicates with the mind." If you are looking for self-treatment technique that is in your own hands, MELT is for you. Reduce stress with the Four R’s: Reconnect, Rebalance, Rehydrate, and Release. This book highlights some of the science behind the method--helping you to understand connective tissue. Since I have started MELTing, I am more relaxed, I sleep better ...more
Hmmmm...well to be honest I did not read this start to finish. There was a lot of skimming, because it was scientific and self helpy and I just finished my first semester of school in 15 years and I was sort of over the whole reading to better oneself. That being said, I did skim it and she isn't a bad writer and her theories are interesting. I love anything where pain can be treated without medicine or surgery. I tried a lot of the exercises and I think they could be helpful. I would probably n ...more
checked out from Washington Co. Cooperative Library Services, 11/13 list.

from the library, there is a lot of pressure on this book

Table of Contents

Foreword v
Introduction 1 (8)

Part One

1 What Really Causes Pain?
9 (14)

9 The Hand and Foot Treatment
127 (18)

Part Three

10 Getting
Skimmed a lot of this because Sue Hitzmann is very detailed (and repetitive) in her explanation of the science behind The Melt Method. It sounds wonderful and I've read numerous testimonials on Amazon on how well the method works in alleviating pain. I'm definitely trying it and wish there was a companion DVD to the book.
Sep 21, 2015 Lorraine rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lorraine by: Juanita
Shelves: nonfiction, american, 2015
The first half reads like an info-mercial, constantly promising you health and wealth but only revealing the smallest facts about what you really want to know amidst paragraphs of dribble. Skim quickly and move on to the actual routines and there is some value in the book. Interesting concepts.
I picked up this book after seeing some of Sue's exercises on a blog post and wanted to get more exercises and info. This book was about 2/3 too long, however, and the how-to part was fairly confusing. Unfortunately, the blog posts were more useful than the book.
Explanation and support for those using Hitzmann's effective fascial hydration techniques. Best used with the videos/DVDs. For those considering using the method, there's a lot of repetition and, perhaps, more info than you want, to plow through.
Jenny Luebbe
I found it fascinating to read about how connective tissue can impact your physical functioning. That said, in order to do the exercises needed you need to learn a lot and purchase a few things before you can do 10 minutes a day. I think this would be a good complement to a class or set of videos but personally too much effort for me to follow exercise from book alone.
The book is not always the easiest to digest and sometimes the instructions are not the easiest to understand. But I'm a believer in the method and so I stook with it to better understand and apply it.
Cindy Alexander
Don't get this in e book form. You need to be able to flip straight to certain sections when she refers to them.
I've now purchased the hard copy. Let's see how much easier it will be to read. Getting my post its ready to mark the most relevant sections for me.
Meh. A tough read. There is potential here, but the writing is dull and repetitive, and the cost of the "necessary" accessories is breathtaking. The $120 price tag for a foam roller, four racquet balls, and four super balls suggests that this is more about enriching the author's standard of living than it is about enriching the reader's quality of life.
Rachael Knudsen
Loved the glide, shear, and rinse techniques and especially the results. Did the MELT method first in a pilates class and have been hooked ever since.
I won't give this a rating because I can't say whether the practices result in pain reduction or elimination, as the author claims. However, the "method" is gaining support around the country. Read the book if you suffer from chronic pain. If you can make it to a local practitioner, give it a shot -then let me know how you fared.
Sep 22, 2015 Lia rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: health
I think there is something good in this book, but it so badly needs an editor that I can never quite find it. Alas.
The method itself is excellent. The book was long and wordy. She really needs to do a DVD!
This book could use some editing, but don't let that stop you from getting this book. I found her recommendations spot on and felt much better after using them. And I can do them at home! I used a rolled up towel and a squash ball instead of buying the bolster and MELT balls. This is one of those books I would recommend to anyone who thinks pain in the body is normal.
This looks like a good book to follow whenever I buy one of those foam rolls.
Mikey Sklar
This could be titled a detailed manual for using your foam roller.
  • Meals That Heal Inflammation: Embrace Healthy Living and Eliminate Pain, One Meal at a Time
  • Gluten Freedom: The Nation's Leading Expert Offers the Essential Guide to a Healthy, Gluten-Free Lifestyle
  • Potatoes Not Prozac
  • Candy: A Century of Panic and Pleasure
  • Clean Gut: The Breakthrough Plan for Eliminating the Root Cause of Disease and Revolutionizing Your Health
  • I Can Make You Sleep: Overcome Insomnia Forever and Get the Best Rest of Your Life!
  • Eat, Drink, and Be Gorgeous: A Nutritionist's Guide to Living Well While Living It Up
  • The Antianxiety Food Solution: How the Foods You Eat Can Help You Calm Your Anxious Mind, Improve Your Mood, and End Cravings
  • What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause: Balance Your Hormones and Your Life from Thirty to Fifty
  • The Way of the Happy Woman: Living the Best Year of Your Life
  • The Hunger Fix: The Three-Stage Detox and Recovery Plan for Overeating and Food Addiction
  • Big Girl: How I Gave Up Dieting and Got a Life