Start by marking “A Perfect Day” as Want to Read:

everyone
bundled up and
went outside to play.
You come, too!

Published November 13th 2012 by Greenwillow Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Perfect Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Perfect Day

Margaret Chind
What a wonderful way to create a picture book! As a genealogist I love looking at old ledgers and I can see how some were used in the creative backgrounds of these illustrations. Pieced together over I cannot image how long Carin Berger has truly created a winter wonderland. Using many children's names of various background I think this could be a favorite and special book for many on a snowy day to read. The story is fun, but for me in this one it is the artistry that is truly magical.

*Thanks
Nick
Nov 06, 2012 Nick rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Carin Berger's art is technically excellent, but I don't find it engaging. The faces of the children are a little weird, either without noses or with what appears to be a bird's beak instead.
That said, this is a cute little book about the things you can do on a cold day after it has snowed. Since I live in a place where snow simply doesn't happen, I wonder if it will engage children who are unfamiliar with that kind of weather. There is certainly a level of assumption in the book that the reader
Jenny
May 05, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it
The text is just okay, in my opinion...it describes a wonderful winter day when it snows and snows and snows. The children all come out to play, creating snow men and ice forts and making snow angels. However, I love the collage made out of paper. Each page is created out of a variety of papers, many with writing on them. (On the page with an icicle stand, it has torn paper that appears to have a list of last names on it...including my maiden name in handwriting that looks just like my grandma's ...more
Kelly
Nov 29, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
this book succeeds because it really made me want snow.
Stacy268
May 16, 2012 Stacy268 rated it it was amazing
Atmospheric, spare and delightful, Berger's words and illustrations combine into the perfect winter day.
Linda Atkinson
Jun 29, 2012 Linda Atkinson rated it really liked it
beautifully illustrated!
Laurie
Feb 16, 2015 Laurie rated it liked it
Victoria Avonlea
I think the artwork in this one is far more appealing to adult standards than it would be to any kid. It definitely didn't do anything for mine- she said, "I don't like that one." Even before I could try to read it to her. While there's a level of creativity to the illustrations, they're mostly a bit bland to look at. As for the story itself, it felt like a list of names to me more than anything else. It just did not draw us in.
Tasha
Oct 16, 2012 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Celebrate a wonderful winter day in this picture book! Join the children as they make the first tracks in the snow, glide on skis, and lose their dog in the drifts. There are snowball fights and building snowmen too. Others make a fort in the snow and sled down big hills. There is ice skating, snow angels, and even an icicle stand. This is one gorgeous snowy day.

Told in very simple words, this picture book really shows what makes for an exceptional wintry day. The collage illustrations are reall
Kristine Hansen
Nov 09, 2012 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
I love wintry books in July!

While this story is nothing her or special as to content (a lot of different wintertime activities portrayed), it's the artwork which is interesting. I found myself turning the book to try to read what was on the scraps of paper used to create the pictures. I love the idea of using just whatever is around for art, and for the telling of a story.

I also really enjoyed the idea of so MANY people enjoying the winter day, instead of just a family or pair of friends which i
Ed
Nov 15, 2012 Ed rated it really liked it
Another great book from Carin Berger. I have been a big fan of her previous books, The Little Yellow Leaf and Forever Friends, and I believe this one is another great one. I loved the look of the various cut papers, and how they made the snow look very textured and almost realistic, in an abstract way. Definitely would love to see this one get some Caldecott love as well, but based on her previous books, that hasn't been the case. We shall see.
Anayssa Pulido
Apr 15, 2013 Anayssa Pulido rated it liked it
This would be a great book to read during winter. It is full of fun activities and ideas for children and everyone to do while its snowing. "A perfect day" is all about how perfect the snow is for a perfect day to make snowman, ski, make snow forts, put up a Popsicle stand, go sledding, etc. I thought the illustrations were very unique; the people have a carrot nose and a round face to make them look like snowman. I feel like since it is such a simple story, the illustrations could have been don ...more
Linda
Jan 13, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
I can imagine keeping this book always available in case of snow, The pages tell the story of a big snow where kids sled, ice skate, make snow angels and snow men. Emma makes the first tracks and then Leo came by on skiis. Others got into a snowball fight and then all made snow angels. There is an icicle stand and a snow fort. Carin Berger’s cut paper collages illustrate the story with realism, yet the characters are more whimsical than real. Finally, the day is done and children trail off to “ ...more
Kifflie
Dec 27, 2012 Kifflie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great picture book for a winter theme. Kids are out doing all the fun things you can think of after a snowstorm. And you can just feel when it's time to go inside and warm up with that cup of hot cocoa!

The choice to make the figures sort of bird-like in their appearance was a little curious, and so was the decision to do these collage-type layouts on what looked like old shopping lists and graph paper. Just found it a tad distracting.

But otherwise, the atmosphere of this book is lovely
Russell
Jan 19, 2015 Russell rated it liked it
Cute concept, but I find myself wanting to decode the ephemera used for the illustrations. Like Oswald Cobblepot in the sewers, perhaps I'd piece together some dark secrets and get to hang out with Christopher Walken. That's the dream, right there: spending time with Christopher Walken. Even if I'm just using him to gain political power and he just wants a power plant built.

I tore apart the book, hoping to assemble a new life with my friend Christopher Walken, but I just assembled a banal shoppi
Mar 19, 2013 Laura rated it it was ok
An okay book about all kinds of things you could do on a snowy day (an icicle stand, what a creative idea!). I didn't love the illustrations. The people looked kind of like snowmen, but I don't know if this was intentional or not. I also found the handwriting on the paper used in the collages distracting and even checked the back to see if there was an explanation about the words in the pictures, thinking there must be some significance (there wasn't).
Megan Renner
Apr 08, 2014 Megan Renner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: etl-2368
Berger, C. (2012). A perfect day. New York: Greenwillow Books.
It tells the tale of a snow day and what one can do out in the snow. Things such as build snowmen, forts, climb hills, go skiing, make snow angels, go sledding, open an icicle stand, have a snow fight, and many other things. Then at the end of the day it is fun to go home, change out of wet clothes and drink some hot chocolate! I liked this story I rate it 5/5. It made me think of my childhood and how fun snow days are.
Mary
Dec 13, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing
Utterly charming book about a perfect day playing in the freshly fallen snow. The illustrations were done with paper collages using handwritten letters, looseleaf paper, ledgers, etc. The illustrations remind me of those in another one of my favorite books this year, When Blue Met Egg. I'll be using this in my Winter Wonderland preschool storytime in January.
Christine Turner
Dec 13, 2012 Christine Turner rated it really liked it
It snowed. And snowed. And snowed. After it snowed, everyone bundled up and went outside to play. You come, too! Carin Berger's exquisite collages illuminate, from dawn to dusk, the perfect winter day.

Subjects

Snow -- Juvenile fiction
Winter -- Juvenile fiction
Winter -- Activities --Juvenile fiction

If I could I would givie this book 3 plus stars. Better than most, but not a four.

Dawn
Jan 20, 2013 Dawn rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
Liked this simple story...and was fascinated with collages used, such as old ledger paper, spiral notebook paper and old typewritten paper. I think it's a great idea how to show children we can create art from these, however, the font needed to be bigger so as not to be drowned out by the background. There needed to be more balance.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Jan 31, 2013 Joella www.cinjoella.com rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, weather
I love the textured illustrations in this book. It is great how it shows the various things people do in the snow. And since it has been snowing here for what seems like a whole month, it is great that this book can show how fun it is to have new snow around. Plus, the simple text and the rich illustrations will keep readers going back to discover more amongst the illustrations.
Ariel Cummins
Jan 14, 2013 Ariel Cummins rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Kids get to do all the things that make a snow day great in this sweet story.

The illustrations are collages that incorporate found paper in to the action-filled but also calm pages.

There are already so many great snow books, but I really like this one! It would be very fun to read out loud.
Christine Ridout
Feb 15, 2013 Christine Ridout rated it liked it
Shelves: nice
On the freshly fallen snow, the children come out to play. They make footprints in the snow, leave tracks with their skis, throw snowballs and make snowmen. As dusk falls, and the streetlights twinkle on, the children go home to warm hugs and hot chocolate. The end of a perfect day. A sweet story to read in the winter.
Danielle
Sep 28, 2013 Danielle rated it it was ok
Ostensibly about a perfect winter day, it was more like an introduction to different names people might have. It also had strange bird like people that might be scary, although I am sure that was not the intention of the author.
David
Jun 08, 2016 David rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I think all who live in cold climates can resonate with this book. This could be a good book young students learning how to write independent clauses, or perhaps an older ELL student learning English vocabulary.
Michael
Dec 15, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
I liked the large expansive scenes in this one, and the pointy illustrations of the children, and the diversity of the children. The art is surreal - are some of the children actually animals? Or dolls?

A very simple story of some favorite things that usually happen on snowy days.
Jennifer Symonds
Dec 27, 2015 Jennifer Symonds rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
I got this book for an art lesson I found on line and can't wit to use it the first week back after the winter break. It is a quick read but with lots of jumping off points for literacy and art lessons.
Robin
Berger's collage illustrations are really appealing. She has a very particular sense of design.
Nicely made -- thick paper.
Short text explores the pleasures of a snow day -- making the first tracks, make large and small snow creatures and snow forts, sledding, ice skating, making snow angels.
Kimberly
Dec 09, 2015 Kimberly rated it liked it
I liked this book. I liked the story. I really go back and forth on the pictures. At times I thought they were clever and cute and at other times I thought the people looked a little like creepy snowmen running around.
Ranea
Mar 25, 2013 Ranea rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations were definitely the best part of this book. The words are very simple, so it would be very good for 3-5 year old children. It brought back fond memories of playing in the snow as a kid. :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Under My Hood I Have a Hat
  • How to Be a Cat
  • Yoo-Hoo, Ladybug!
  • When Spring Comes
Carin Berger is an award-winning designer and illustrator. She is the creator of Not So True Stories & Unreasonable Rhymes and All Mixed Up, and the illustrator of Behold the Bold Umbrellaphant, by Jack Prelutsky. She won the Society of Illustrators Founder's Award in 2006, and Publishers Weekly called her "one to watch." Carin Berger lives with her family in New York City.
More about Carin Berger...